MY HAIR IS FALLING OUT!!!

Options
12346»

Replies

• chattipatty2
    chattipatty2 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    OK, so let me preface this by saying ANYone who knows me, knows that I have always had THICK...I mean enough for 2 people THICK hair. Lovely thick light red hair.

I have noticed, that I have been losing more hair than normal. Especially in the shower when I run my hands through it. I have been eating my cals and getting MOST of my nutrients, feel free to look @ my diary.

So I go to get my hair cut today and my stylist said that I was losing a LOT of hair. I then told her that I have noticed it lately & that I used to have very thick hair. She was SHOCKED...WOW. That was a knock down for me, bc I have always LOVED my hair. It was the only thing I was proud of on my body. But she said to get my thyroid checked, bc that can cause it as well.

I'm pretty bummed about it. I used to need the ultra heavy duty pony tail holders and now the little ones do just fine. I want my thick supple hair back!!

My MFP bestie told me to up my omega-3s & protein with tuna & stuff. As well as Biotin. I am going for my yearly next month.

Any other ideas??
    Had same problem till I started a multivitamin.
  • ryansgram
    ryansgram Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Stress will do it!!!! I have been going through a divorce and have been very stressed the last 6 months and my hair is falling out too. Plus not being able to eat because of it all. Try to reduce the stress in your life.
    Are you eating enough? How is your stress level? Those are side effects for too low calories and high stress. Hope it stops falling out for you!

Oh...my stress...you dont even know!! Since I have started on my WLJ, there have been 3 deaths, BIL went literally crazy, other BIL lost his job, hubby lost his job, we moved & are living in an RV, still paying for old apartment & RV lot rent. UGH!!
  • tinksmommy2006
    Options
    Hey I have that too......do you have any of my other symptoms?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/542917-wanna-play-doctor

I go to the dr. next month on the 17 let me know if you have any of the others and if you do maybe i can help you depending on what they tell me. I'm not saying what is wrong with me IS whats wrong with you...but maybe I will be able to give you some pointers??
  • rhondarogers
    Options
    Hi, I have a friend that had the same problem when she lost alot of weight and her problem was she wasn't getting enough protein. Her doctor told her to get at least 75-80 grams of protein a day. She started drinking protein drinks and slowly she got her hair back. Don't know if that's your problem but you could ask your doctor about it. Good Luck!
  • cdeglopper
    Options
    The average person can lose about 100 hairs /per day, IF its anymore than that then go see your Dr. Now keep in mind some ladies I know wash their hair every other day so this amounts to about 200 hairs by the time you wash and brush through it.
  • sjackson1717
    sjackson1717 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I had this side effect from BIRTH CONTROL. Are you taking any BC right now? It could be that.
  • cole137
    cole137 Posts: 4
    Options
    As others have already suggested, I would definitely see a doctor to rule out a thyroid condition.

But I noticed in your diary that you have only been getting around 60-70g of protein a day which is probably what MFP suggested for you. I always think they set it kind of low so I customize my nutritional goals so I get 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fats.

That usually means I get around 140g of protein a day even with staying within my calore goal (and my diet is mostly vegetarian with the occasional serving of fish) so if you're a meat eater, you shouldn't have a problem.

I would suggest you try to work more protein in to your diet and see if that helps any. Also, I'm not sure if you have the iphone app but if you go in to "Home" and then your daily summary, it will not only show your cals/carbs/fats/protein but also your vitamin a, vitamin c, calcium and iron so you can track any deficiencies. It's good to get a general idea of whether you need to supplement or not.

Good luck! I have naturally very fine hair so I know how much it sucks!
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    No BC, got my thyroid & hormones checked last year. All normal. I'm going to up my protein, fat, calcium and other essential nutrients. Thank you all, no other advice is needed.
  • sissypunks
    Options
    hope you find out the problem i have had very thin hair since puberty was very thick also have just learned to deal with it because my docs say everything looks fine when i get blood work done so hope if u go to doc they can figure it out nothing worse than thin hair good luck!