Replies

• MenaMena
    MenaMena Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jan1755
    jan1755 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Dan, thanks so much for your help. I have reset my daily calories for lightly active. However, do we track our exercise still? Thanks.
  • blueeyedcristi
    blueeyedcristi Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    30% protein
    30% fat
    40% carbs

Is this right for everyone? The reason I ask is it is telling me I need 127g of protein a day which is next to impossible. Perhaps I just needed to increase my calories and leave the macros alone?
  • dancerman
    dancerman Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    3 week plateau - will give it a try...
  • bridgetn85
    bridgetn85 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mukamom
    mukamom Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    30% protein
    30% fat
    40% carbs

Is this right for everyone? The reason I ask is it is telling me I need 127g of protein a day which is next to impossible. Perhaps I just needed to increase my calories and leave the macros alone?

HA.. I knew I couldn't be the only one who can't reach 40/30/30! I tried eating salmon and eggs for breakfast to try and boost it. (didn't work :huh: ). I am wayyy under all. Might just go back closer to mfp #
  • bebreli
    bebreli Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • blueeyedcristi
    blueeyedcristi Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    30% protein
    30% fat
    40% carbs

HA.. I knew I couldn't be the only one who can't reach 40/30/30! I tried eating salmon and eggs for breakfast to try and boost it. (didn't work :huh: ). I am wayyy under all. Might just go back closer to mfp #

I have gotten in over 70 today but I am unbelievably stuffed. I can't imagine doubling that. I'm wondering of that is just for athletes/people who want to bulk up?
  • Dch2012
    Dch2012 Posts: 19
    Options
    bump
  • Dstny1957
    Dstny1957 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Thanks this is very interesting. A little hard to wrap your brain around at first, but I think I have been eating way too little. Especially since I want to start weight lifting.

You spent a lot of time giving us this information. I am very grateful!
  • amandalfraser
    amandalfraser Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Lukazetta
    Lukazetta Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    30% protein
    30% fat
    40% carbs

That's how I have mine set up. IMO, that works well while you're cutting BF (15-25% under TDEE), however, the food you choose to eat at your calorie range are just as important.
  • kimstwin
    kimstwin Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great post.
  • AirCircleI
    AirCircleI Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    thanks for this!
  • Jenjaz1910
    Jenjaz1910 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Ok I "think" I have figured it out but can Dan or somebody check I have comprehended it all correctly

I am 32 years old, 5ft 3 and weigh 150lbs at present. My BF% was 34.9% last Monday (will not be checking it again till beginning of next week) Katch-MaCardle gave me a BMR of 1332 the TDEE that was given from the fit2fatradio website was 2051 (moderate) I work out 6-7 days a week for at least half an hour to an hour (doing 30 day shred, Zumba & some strength with weights) normally do half hour 1 day and then an hour the next (am doing 30 Day Shred every day for half hour)

Dan has said

"visit http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/
    Do the Military Body Fat Calc first, then the BMR tool.
    The Military BF calc is accurate up to about 2%.
    The BMR tool will give EXACT calories to eat on a daily basis.
    This number is static and I only recommend eating back so your NET is at least 200 above BMR.
    Add 20% to suggested calories to know your TDEE.
    Use the Katch McGardle BMR number to know your BMR.
    Never eat at or below BMR.
    For Fat loss plans set up macros at 30% Protein/Fat.
    This % is only because MFP wont allow single %."

So if I take my KM BMR 1332 and add 20% to get my TDEE that makes 1598, yet on the fat2fitradio website it 2051, I also read that I can or should minus 15% -20% and aim to eat that to lose weight? (Can't find where it was now) if that is so 2051-15% = 1743 or 2051 - 20% = 1640

Do I change my base calories on MFP as 1332 and then eat back all my exercise calories? I average betwwen 220 and 440 a day?!?!? I am a bit confused HELP!!!! Lol

Jen x

Edit: I want to reduce my weight, all over body measurements AND get my BF% down to about 22%
  • imustbegood
    imustbegood Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Bumping ;)
  • JessLLoser
    JessLLoser Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Fab advice!
  • ImRadical4Jesus
    ImRadical4Jesus Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I am little confused as well..I have read so much my brain is numb lol So any help would be great!
    I have been told of two places to get my BMR so not sure which to use. Dan recommends the McArdle formula, but comparing the two sites the Benedict formula and the one from Fitnessfrog as very close. Which do I use?????? I do not want to starve my body I want to burn fat and loose the weight, but tone at the same time. I've lost 5 pounds but at a stand still now.

On fat2fitradio
    my BMR is 1224 Katch-McArdle Forumla
    TDEE is 1468.8 (at 20% more than my BMR)
    So Carbs would be 40% of BMR = 489?...wow is this right?
    Fat and Protein at 30% BMR=367? Really?

Harris-Benedict Formula says 1540
    TDEE is 1848
    so carbs= 616 <----double wow!
    fat and protein=462

On another site Fitnessfrog,
    my BMR is 1534
    And says my TDEE is 2378
    So my carbs would be set at 613 ? 40% of BMR
    fat and protein at 460? at 30% of BMR

MFP says totally different so I'm confused o-O Which one do I use?

I'm 47
    185 pounds
    want to loose 55 pounds
    5' 4
    BF 53%
    Moderate activities- light weights 3 days a week, walking or stationary bike other days (plus WII & Xbox360 Dancing and bowling with the kids bout 3 times a week lol)

I'd like to set up my own goals, but sure don't want to put in wrong info. I want to burn off the fat!

Can anyone help me figure this out plz?!!!! Thank you!
  • xtravisfx
    xtravisfx Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    saving for after work.
  • Taffyali
    Taffyali Posts: 17
    Options
    Thank you Dan - you contribute so much to this website!

I was a bit surprised at my body fat percentage using The Military Body Fat Calculator - 31.2%! Other website have always calculated similarly to Katch-McArdle where I am give the figure 26.4% - much more agreeable ;-)

Just a quick question if you don't mind:

I'm an office worker so fairly sedentary through the day. I walk 3-4 times per week - 45 minutes at a brisk pace. "How Many Calories Should I Eat?" gives me 1630 for sedentary (little or no exercise, desk job) and 1867 for lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 day/wk). Which box do you think I tick?

Just a bit about me: I lost 26lbs Jan 11 - Oct 11 before hitting the proverbial brick wall! I found MFP in February I have successfully lost a further 5.5lbs over the past 7 weeks by eating 1350 cals plus exercise cals but for optimum health I would like to eat and exercise a bit more.