Replies

• peaceinside
    peaceinside Posts: 272
    Options
    Bumpity bump!
  • randilynn113
    randilynn113 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Why does it seem that these posts are always an either/or situation? Here's an idea - do both. Both strength training and cardio have things going for them. So, don't just lift weights and don't just run.
    I do days of lifting, days of running and days where I do running mixed in with other things like pushups, situps, lunges and crunches.

Exactly. I'm a firm believer that you have to do cardio and strength training to get the best results. But honestly, I don't care what other people do. They're not losing my weight......I'm the only one that can do that.

^^ I agree 100%
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,402 MFP Moderator
    Options
    So what if you do both intense cardio and strength training? Is that counter productive?

If you do them on the same day, your body can end up fighting for resources to repair your systems which might take away from receiving the full benefit of each but if you do them on different days, you should be fine. What I suggest is doing HIIT instead of plain cardio where you have interval speeds.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    It's important to DO BOTH. That is all.

NOT FOR FAT LOSS.

For fat loss all you need is a caloric deficit and to do strength training so you don't lose lean muscle while in said deficit.

You can achieve the deficit from diet alone, or a combination of diet and exercise, but the smaller your deficit is the higher the % fat loss will be (vs. losing lean muscle)
  • psuLemon
    Options
    So admittedly I should have titled this different. "ST is better for FAT LOSS" is what I should have wrote.
  • amem07
    amem07 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Ok so this is good for me. I am a cardio only person..... always have been.

As far as strenght training - what should I bo doing? I do go to a gym so I have access to weights and machines but i wouldn't even know where to start?

What exercises should I do? Or follow some type of program?

Thanks for any help!
  • lisaisso
    lisaisso Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    awesome post.
    thanks!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Ok so this is good for me. I am a cardio only person..... always have been.

As far as strenght training - what should I bo doing? I do go to a gym so I have access to weights and machines but i wouldn't even know where to start?

What exercises should I do? Or follow some type of program?

Thanks for any help!

Focus on a routine that incorporates Compound movements and has you lift heavy weights (low to moderate reps). check out New Rules of Lifting for Women, Starting strength, Stronglifts 5x5, or other programs designed around compound movements.
  • amem07
    amem07 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I am going to look into those! That book " New Rules of Lifting for Women" looks pretty good! I might have to pick it up!
  • HorrorChix89
    HorrorChix89 Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    So admittedly I should have titled this different. "ST is better for FAT LOSS" is what I should have wrote.

Would've saved 3 pages of yelling, but where's the fun in that?
  • seateame
    seateame Posts: 2
    Options
    Lost before on simply cardio.. run run and more run. It worked but I got injured from repetition.

This time round i've mixed them up, and found that whilst dropping off the running a bit has saved my legs, the strength work has given me just that, strength, which has in turn made the running easier and less injury prone. No more muscle imbalances, a stronger core..

Both for me.. never will be able to beat the freedom and space a good run gives you, health benefits aside!
  • psuLemon
    Options

Would've saved 3 pages of yelling, but where's the fun in that?

I understand and as many people know, I am a huge advocate for both. But recently, there has been a lot of questions about fat loss and plateaus, so I thought I would drop some research to why I put my methods, lol.
  • myak623
    myak623 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Conditioner is better, it leaves the hair silky and smooth!

billy-madison.jpg
  • HorrorChix89
    HorrorChix89 Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    You now that's not allowed on these forums...
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options

"Lean mass retention during a fat loss phase" would have been even better.
  • watboy
    watboy Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Thanks Eric
    The more you strength train, the more muscle you keep, the more muscle you keep the more fat you lose, the more fat you lose the less POUNDS you have to lose.

I love running, but I wish I started strength training earlier. My body shape changed while staying about the same weight. I can only imagine the change I would have had if I'd been lifting while I was still losing weight.
  • jmehere
    jmehere Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Ok, but it is clearly evident that cardio is good for overall health?

Yea, you might see someone on the treadmill at the gym for too long everyday. Have you ever wondered that maybe heart disease runs in their family or any other cardiovascular disease and by running or jogging or cycling or swimming these people are helping break the cycle?

I really doubt anyone can say that cardio 3x a week is BAD for you. Especially in combination with a resistance training program.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    blah, blah, blah...

I get tired of seeing posts saying one is better than the other. Balance. Strength training is good, but everyone needs to be in good cardio shape for stamina and heart-health. Like I have posted before. I knew a body builder who couldn't run around the block, but won several local body building exhibitions.

This thread is like the one about which is heavier a pound of muscle or a pound of fat... there's a hundred of each...
  • myak623
    myak623 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    blah, blah, blah...

I get tired of seeing posts saying one is better than the other. Balance. Strength training is good, but everyone needs to be in good cardio shape for stamina and heart-health. Like I have posted before. I knew a body builder who couldn't run around the block, but won several local body building exhibitions.

This thread is like the one about which is heavier a pound of muscle or a pound of fat... there's a hundred of each...

FAT LOSS, FAT LOSS, FAT LOSS. That is the point of the thread. Everyone has their reasons for either doing only cardio (running races), only strength training (body builder) or both (overall fitness). The point of the post was what is better for fat loss.