Couch - to - 5k Running Plan

Options

Replies

• kelly_a
    kelly_a Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    I just started this 2 days ago, and so far it is ok. I will do most of mine outdoors, on blacktop and rock roads, with hills ( small town ). but today it is raining and I will have to use my treadmill, which I really don't care for. It just seems like it is a harder workout...anyone else notice this or is it just me? Thanks to all who are cheering us on and your great support! You are SOOO appreciated! I can't wait to finish and be able to do 3 MILES!! :bigsmile:
  • RecliningFigure
    RecliningFigure Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Well I got up and started the run tonight, and I was really disappointed with myself!! By my third run interval, I thought I was going to absolutely DIE! I had to walk through the fourth one, but then I finished out and ended up running a minute and a half my last run! I guess maybe I shoulda walked the whole 5 minute warm up instead of skipping ahead to the running part! I really want to stick with it, but I see now just how tough its gonna be!

Good luck to everybody else thats starting and thanks to all those that are way ahead of me, your a huge encouragement to keep on going!

Not only is the 5 minute warm up walk important before running, but my trainer has me do it before I do my strength training as well. She says will will help me to do more.
  • RecliningFigure
    Options
    I'm still having a hard time with moving from the two 10-min runs to the one 25min run. It seems like a big jump, but I'm going to try today.
  • countindowntothin
    countindowntothin Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Well I got up and started the run tonight, and I was really disappointed with myself!! By my third run interval, I thought I was going to absolutely DIE! I had to walk through the fourth one, but then I finished out and ended up running a minute and a half my last run! I guess maybe I shoulda walked the whole 5 minute warm up instead of skipping ahead to the running part! I really want to stick with it, but I see now just how tough its gonna be!

Good luck to everybody else thats starting and thanks to all those that are way ahead of me, your a huge encouragement to keep on going!

Not only is the 5 minute warm up walk important before running, but my trainer has me do it before I do my strength training as well. She says will will help me to do more.

yeah I really messed up by not doing the complete 5 minutes, I only walked about 3.....you can bet I do the whole 5 minutes next time though!!!
  • m2kjenn
    m2kjenn Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    I just started this 2 days ago, and so far it is ok. I will do most of mine outdoors, on blacktop and rock roads, with hills ( small town ). but today it is raining and I will have to use my treadmill, which I really don't care for. It just seems like it is a harder workout...anyone else notice this or is it just me? Thanks to all who are cheering us on and your great support! You are SOOO appreciated! I can't wait to finish and be able to do 3 MILES!! :bigsmile:

I agree, the treadmill is so much harder. I don't know if it is just the boredom or what, my legs always feel heavier, hmmmm.
  • RecliningFigure
    Options
    Yay! I did it, I did it!!! I was able to do the whole 25 minutes of running (it took 3 1/2 weeks from the two 10 minute runs to make it to the whole 25 minute run). I think it's the tail end of week six of the Couch to 5k plan.
  • m2kjenn
    Options
    Yay! I did it, I did it!!! I was able to do the whole 25 minutes of running (it took 3 1/2 weeks from the two 10 minute runs to make it to the whole 25 minute run). I think it's the tail end of week six of the Couch to 5k plan.

Congrats!!! Can't wait to get there too.
  • RecliningFigure
    Options
    Thanks. It was frustrating, but if I can get there, so can you.
  • re_define
    Options
    I am LOVING this program so far. Just finished out week 2 this morning and I can't wait til week 3 starting monday!
  • VardaElentari
    Options
    WOW great job everyone! I am glad to see so many are in this program like I am!

To update my own progress: I started week 2 while in sunny San Diego on vacation.

I'm worried that it will be much more difficult to run back at home, at 9000 ft...... but I guess I'll have to find out!
  • countindowntothin
    Options
    I completed week one day 2 yesterday and walking that first 5 minute warm up really made a world of difference! I completed all my runs instead of having to walk through a few! I am getting so excited already being able to stretch past my previous limits!

Good luck to everybody else this week, no matter what level your on remember WE CAN DO THIS!
  • m2kjenn
    Options
    I completed week one day 2 yesterday and walking that first 5 minute warm up really made a world of difference! I completed all my runs instead of having to walk through a few! I am getting so excited already being able to stretch past my previous limits!

Good luck to everybody else this week, no matter what level your on remember WE CAN DO THIS!

Congrats to you!!! Glad that made a difference. Last night I decided to go for my usual 2 mile walk which I take on my "off" days. However I was feeling so good after about 5 minutes that I decided to throw some jogging in, I thought "I'll just go as long as it feels good" I was amazed how far I went, I ended up jogging at least 2/3's of the 2 miles. I never could have done that a month ago, and I never would have believed I could do it. Feels great to feel my body changing as I continue to challenge it. So to everyone giving this a try, keep at it, it really does work.
  • Fausttt
    Fausttt Posts: 101
    Options
    almost finished week 2, but my knee hurt after mowing my yard. So i went about 10 minutes into the run and it started hurting again. So i gave it a break and will continue my running tomorrow.
  • Melissa_123
    Options
    I finished Week 2 yesterday. I am really loving it but by the end my calves are locking up! Other than that I feel fine...but I am worried I won't be able to do the Week 3 three minute run with my calves locking up. I tried stretching first and drinking a lot of water and even waited an extra day between day 2 and 3 (usually run Mon, Wed, Fri and I waited til Sunday) but it still happened the last five minutes or so. I finish the run but it is miserable! What am I doing wrong? What should I do? My husband thinks I need a better shoe.
  • Fausttt
    Fausttt Posts: 101
    Options
    are you landing on your heel or the ball of your feet. I think it works your calves more if you land more on the ball of your feet (i'm no expert, I just started myself). I do know that better shoes do make a night/day difference. Specially if you go to a "running store" and get them to measure your feet. They will determine whether you over or under pronate and recommend an appropriate shoe based on that. It may help.
  • countindowntothin
    Options
    bump for others looking for this plan!
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    I finished week one after starting the program a few times with my daughter and not contnuing because things keep coming up to sidetrack us. She finally starting running on her own so I decided to download week one on my I-pod and run on my own. For some reason, using the program I downloaded was harder to finish than running with my daughter timing us. I'm going to repeat week one again and see how I do the second time around.

Good luck to everyone. :flowerforyou:
  • biochemnrd
    Options
    Love Couch 2 5k. It's the best!
  • jkroc
    jkroc Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I started this today. On my treadmill. Did a warm up for 5 mins. on 3. Then would jog for 1 min. and walk for 1 min. I was using level 3 and 4 for this. I did this for 20mins. Then a cool down on 3 and then 2 for another 5 mins.Does anyone else use a treadmill, if so what numbers are you using? Do you think it's ok to do this daily? I know it say 3 times a week....Thanks
  • maddiebabe
    maddiebabe Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    So I have to admit...Im a little scared now to try week 4. i strugglled a little bit with the 3 minute runs but i repeated it a couple more time and it didnt get any better lol. I hope that week 4 gets better....Does anyone else struggle wiht the longer runs? Im not sure if its just my weak cardiovascular or if I jus thave a hard time pushing through!!!!