Replies

• AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Therapy, God, good friends, and time.

for•give (f r-g v , fôr-)
    v. for•gave (-g v ), for•giv•en (-g v n), for•giv•ing, for•gives
    v.tr.
    1. To excuse for a fault or an offense; pardon.
    2. To renounce anger or resentment against.
    3. To absolve from payment of (a debt, for example).

We all have faults, some are just worse than others. To me forgiveness is coming to peace with the faults in others, and thereby coming to peace with our own. There are unforgivable crimes, but the breaking of a heart and destruction of a family can simply be the structure on which to build a fortress where a shack once stood. Just because you forgive, doesn’t mean that you must forget, it just means that you’ve learned a lesson that will hopefully make you stronger. Seems to me like this is a great opportunity to find the person inside you that you’ve lost over the past few years.
  • sherri85
    sherri85 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I have been right where you are now and let me tell you it isn't easy but it is possible!! I saw T.D. Jakes on tv recently and he put it very well when he was speaking about how bitterness and not forgiving hurts you more than anyone else when he said "It's like drinking poison and waiting for someone else to die". That hit me hard because it is soooooo true it is us that suffer with anger, resentment, and hurt not the ones that are responsible for doing the damage. So I hope you can forgive and forget and make the rest of your life the very best it can be. :flowerforyou:
  • bug1114
    bug1114 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    It is ok if you want to throw religion into this answer or not - I am looking for all kinds of opinions.

Two favorite quotes of mine are: "Forgiveness is a choice we make based upon the reality of our own forgiven state." and "To be a Christian means to forgive the inexcusable because God has forgiven the inexcusable in you."
  • HopeFaithLove71
    HopeFaithLove71 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Holding on to it allows the offending person to continue to suck the life right out of you. You need to forgive them for yourself. The offending person generally has issues all their own. I always feel sorry for them. They must hold a miserable existance, no matter if they "look" happy. Leaving misery in the wake, is not a happy person. So, I feel sorry for them, pray for them and I forgive them, so that I can let go emotionally and begin real healing.

That being said, please don't mistake forgivness for forgetting, those are two very different things. That horse will still kick you if you get within reach. Don't put yourself in the position to be hurt by that person again.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I honestly think forgiveness is more about healing yourself than giving some kind of gift to the person who hurt you.

If you continue being angry and hurt and allowing what happened to affect your life, then who wins?

But this is something very personal and no one can tell you how or make you do it. You just have to decide you're better than the anger you carry.

This^^

I don't forgive for the sake of the other person. I forgive for the sake of healing my own heart and letting go of negativity. Harboring negative feelings ultimately has a negative impact on your physical and mental well-being.
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Forgiveness is not about the other person. Most of the time this person does NOT deserve it. Forgiveness is for us.

Letting the anger or hurt eat away at you ONLY hurts you, you think the person who hurt you cares? Decide to be strong, defy what that person was trying to achieve and succeed, become a better person for it. I found a whole new world of peace when I decided instead of being a victim, I would be a hero.
  • Bella3119
    Bella3119 Posts: 104
    Options
    A friend and I were discussing this the other night.

I used to live with all the wrongs others did to me for a very long time. I think the anger just hid the tears. I noticed my anger towards those who did me wrong caused me to lose sight of myself. I started playing the victim for every little thing and that was not a good way to live, especially as a single mom of 2 small girls. So they were my driving force in learning to forgive others and even myself.

She on the other hand, is a single woman with no kids and does not feel that her not lack of forgicveness of others has no affect on her life at all. She suffers from depression and also has a couple of addictions she is working through. Yet, she does not see the link between forgiveness and what's holding her back from making a full recovery.

Letting go of anything is hard, but now I see that forgiveness is something that really has no bearing on the other at all (unless they have conscience) but it's meant for you to free yourself from the person or their action. It is really hard ofcourse, but ultimately I always feel better when I do.
  • w_i_n_d_y
    w_i_n_d_y Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Time

"It is not "forgive and forget" as if nothing wrong had ever happened, but "forgive and go forward," building on the mistakes of the past and the energy generated by reconciliation to create a new future."

This^
  • SwannySez
    SwannySez Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I forgive them and let their transgressions go in my mind. I just don't tell them that I have. That way there's a small part of me always smirking.

Well, I'm generally smirking anyway, but still...
  • ProjectLGD
    Options
    Hanging on to the anger and hurt only hurts you. You can forgive, but it doesn't mean you have to let the person who bought the hurt and anger into your life be part of your life. I had a very wise person tell me you have 2 options in life 1) you can be bitter or
    2) you can be better.

Like rml_16 said "You just have to decide you're better than the anger you carry."

I love this: you have 2 options in life 1) you can be bitter or 2) you can be better.

My road to forgiveness was helped by realizing that the person who hurt me is really a damaged guy and he was driven to hurt me (and other people) by his life history. He is who he is. If it wasn't me it would have been someone else. I stopped taking it personally.
  • Epicmum54
    Epicmum54 Posts: 26
    Options
    Been there...I carried a lot of bitterness...A LOT...it consumed my every thought, my every waking moment, my every sleeping moment...and then that "a-ha" moment...here's the religion part...one day at Church, the Pastor spoke of forgiveness...honestly, although my a-ha moment, I can't remember the sermon, other than because God loved us so much he sacrificed his only son to forgive us of our sins, how could I NOT forgive the man who tormented my life for 3 years with abuse (but gave me my most precious gift - my daughter)? It took some soul-searching on my part...I had started to enjoy the bitterness - the angry thoughts, I had begun to enourage it within me. Now here's the tricky part - in order to forgive you have to confront that person, tell them out loud you forgive them. You don't have to get into any discussion about it and you absolutely cannot expect an "I'm sorry"...just simply say, "I forgive you for what you've done"...and then turn around and walk away...the power in that moment...the weight lifted off your shoulders is amazing!! And then you have to let it go...doesn't mean you can't think about, or talk about it, but you have to let the bitterness, anger and hurt go. Forgive but don't forget. Seriously...what doesn't kill us only makes us stronger. I will never get those 3 years back, but they've made me who I am today and I'm so much better for it! If you can't confront the person, then I suggest writing a letter of forgiveness and then either burning it or setting it free in a balloon...very cathardic! I promise you, you will feel better, and every aspect of your life will change, once you can free the negativity!
  • jennadaniele
    jennadaniele Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    It is ok if you want to throw religion into this answer or not - I am looking for all kinds of opinions.
    It's easier to forgive someone when I remember that God forgives me for everything. We are called to forgive those who have hurt us as He forgives us. Not saying it's always easier, but having this faith helps.

^^^ This! :D To add my 2 cents, we'll have been hurt & wronged. Believe me...I am divorced and it was the HARDEST thing I've experienced, also considering I am 25. When I started letting go and asking God to help me be free of the pain, confusion, etc...so many things made sense! It's not easy at all, it takes time. Tell yourself, "one day at a time" and at the end of the day, say "I made it through day, so I can make it tomorrow too".

On a lighter note...you're doing something GREAT for yourself! Enjoy this time of change (losing weight & getting fit!) You are beautiful and deserve a beautiful life, it will happen :)
  • blissmanifesto
    Options
    The key to forgiveness for me has been to understand that people do things for reasons that make sense to THEM. Everyone is on their own journey in their own life. And usually, they are in their own pain and sadness and struggle. So if they do something that hurts you, just remember that they are in a lot of pain too. Can you honestly say that you've never hurt anyone? I know I have certainly hurt people in the past -- not because I was a bad person, but because I was doing what I had to do. So that is how I have learned to forgive people: by remembering that I am the same as they are. By remembering that they are in pain just like I am, and that sometimes these things just happen.

However, as other posters have mentioned above, forgiving is about letting go your bad baggage, but it does NOT mean that you give your trust to such a person again. If somebody hurt you and behaved in a dishonest, disrespectful or dangerous manner, you should certainly keep them at a distance from you!
  • cbh142
    cbh142 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I was bitter and angry for five years over something that happened in 2000. Holding on to the pain will only weigh you down. Unforgiveness does not hurt the person who caused you pain. I'd say learn from what happened and move on.
  • Malomar3
    Malomar3 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Most people seem to be saying a version of, "Forgiveness is the gift you give yourself."

This sounds sappy, I know, and it will probably take a few years before you can let go of the anger towards someone who hurt you so deeply. But you will not be able to move on and find a new love, until you can get over this man who has abused your trust.

I went through a similar experience, and honestly, am much happier now. But it took a few years to get here!

Chin up! Things do get better. But you have to work to make them that way....it's all up to you!
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    It is ok if you want to throw religion into this answer or not - I am looking for all kinds of opinions. Thanks in advance.

don't mind if I do :tongue: lol, but seriously,

true love starts and ends with Jesus. Period. I can get over people who do me wrong because I understand they're human and not perfect, and me, perfect, not by a long shot. We all go through hardships, but it's how you spend that time in your difficult season that determines your success. If you wallow in your pity that will get you no where. you CAN have joy b/c God can give you that joy even in a bad situation. Joy, that's on the inside, no one of nothing should be able to take your joy away. if you don't get your joy from God and from him putting life in your body each and every day, chances are, the things that give you joy are temporary. Things fail, People Fail, love of God, NEVER FAILS.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Forgive but never forget. There are very few actions in my life I can never forgive
  • khk2010
    khk2010 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I think forgiveness is challenging. Having said that when I have been able to forgive it has been one of the most valuable things I have done for myself. I still have trouble forgiving one individual. Try as I might to let go, I still hold onto the anger and mistrust toward that one person. I'd like to let go. I know it is only hurting me - not the other person. I think time will help.
  • ambrwaves27
    ambrwaves27 Posts: 206
    Options
    IMO I believe that when you step back from the situation and realize that we are a product of our experiences then it is easier to forgive.

For example, an adult who grew up with an abusive childhood is going to handle challenges differently then someone who may have had a happy childhood. I am not making excuses for bad behavior just saying that compassion melts away that anger and allows forgiveness.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    My gran always said, forgive, but never forget.

I try and heal, let go of the anger and refocus my life, but I will never forget what that person has done. That way if they need to be in your life you will never let them have the power to do it to you again.

:flowerforyou:

I like this. It also goes with the idea of learning from what's happened to you. You don't want to completely forget about it and blindly move on with life because you might make the same mistake again. Instead, think about what happened and how you can handle the situation differently for a better result if it comes up again.