WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2012

Options

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,970 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Barbara, When I read “Younger Next Year” and near the beginning of the book, the author said that it was absolutely necessary to get a heart rate monitor and join a gym in order to benefit from the book, I almost closed the book and returned it to the library without finishing it. I believed that dancing and walking the dogs would serve me well enough. Fortunately I kept an open mind and now I have a heart rate monitor and I found a way to do workouts at home that are comparable to some of what people are doing at the gym. I love my dancing and walking and can’t imagine my life without them. What is most important is something I learned on this thread when I first got here….the best exercise is the one you’ll do. My ankle weights are made by Altus. I bought one set at Big Five and the heavier ones from Amazon. They have sandbags to add and subtract weights. I do my leg exercises in order from the ones I do with heavier weights down to the one I do with lighter weights so I only have to adjust once. I love the feeling of sore muscles after a workout because it tells me that I have challenged myself.

:flowerforyou: Yvonne, I am glad you’re using ice on your knee. The chiropractor told me “ice is your friend”. I hope it feels better soon. You have an awesome amount of work to do and can’t afford too much down time.

:bigsmile: One of the things I like that I learned from both SWSY and NRWLFW is that building muscle happens when you do fewer repetitions with heavier weights. Doing two sets of eight repetitions with a heavier weight is much more time efficient that doing hundreds of repetitions. I’m looking at making some changes as soon as I finish the 100 squats a day for 100 days challenge (it’s gotten so easy and natural that I do about 300 squats a day). Right now I do most of my squats while holding a dog on a leash outdoors in the dark or while brushing and flossing my teeth, so adding weights isn’t practical. I can get a better workout with fewer squats holding weights at my shoulders or doing upward rows, or overhead presses between squats. I’ve also started doing lunges and can balance well enough now to do lunges with a five pound dumbbell in each hand.

:flowerforyou: And speaking of squats, the squats I do are plie squats (feet farther apart and toes pointed outward). I have ballet in my background so these are more natural for me and they are easier to balance while doing something else.
    Here are some links to demonstrate the plie squat (sometimes called sumo squat) google will probably find you dozens of other videos.
    http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/exercises.asp?exercise=161
    http://exercise.about.com/od/exerciseworkouts/ss/howtosquat_6.htm

:bigsmile: I am starting to see results from the weight training sessions and that is a really great motivator.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: My 30 minutes of sitting down is over so it’s time to do something else.

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington where it has been rainy and chilly enough all day that hubby built a fire.

My life today is so great today it should have background music

March goals:
    *walk the dogs for an hour or more every morning no matter how cold, wet, windy, or snowy.”
    * Yoga three days a week
    *100 squats a day
    *strength training two days a week (three would be better)
    *17,000 steps a day

[img][/img]194904olsgis3xqe.gif
    "The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT."

"The temptation to quit will be greatest just before you are about to succeed
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,381 Member
    Options
    Welcome Lisa! Yes, it is amazing how many calories are in some foods. Trust me...you'll never cease to be amazed, I know that I'm not. Looking forward to getting to know you better

Did an hour of Jillian Michael's No More Trouble Zones DVD, tomorrow I'll do a Gin Miller Classic Step DVD. When I was doing the NMTZ tape, I started out doing the pushups on my toes, and then when I felt that I might be losing my form, I switched to my knees. Honestly, I was surprised how many I could do on my toes!

Took the rest of the apple cake to the Y and to the bowling alley. that's one thing that won't be tempting me. However...I did make Magic Cookie Bars since Denise likes them and I should be sending her a package for Easter. I'm giving some to Jessica and taking the rest to the bowling alley tomorrow. Gotta get them out of this kitchen. I've had enough already!

When I was young, please don't ask me to explain this, but the horse I was riding walking into a tree and buck. since then I haven't wanted to get back on a horse. A few years ago (about 10) we were living near Unionville PA (talk abouat horse country!) so I felt that I really needed to get over my fear. Do you know that the first time I went on a horse, the wonman who was instructing me had to keep reminding me to breathe? In addition to that, the horse was lame and couldn't run even if he had wanted to! but do you think that stopped me from being scared out of my wits? Nooooo!!!! But I did conquer my fear. I will now pet a horse and even get on one, just as long as he only walks.:)

Sherry - congrats!

jb - awesome on the pushups. I'm proud of you

Off to take a shower, watch some TV, and then beddybye.

Hope everyone has a great evening.

Michele
  • JipsyJudy
    JipsyJudy Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Today was my third day of trying to work standing up. After two hours I had to sit down; just really, really tired. Standing is harder than walking! I will return to standing tomorrow morning.

Barbara, hang in there with the weights! When I was in my 40s, my othopedist sent me to a ten week supervised gym program for people with back injuries. Again and again and again they told me most women now days are have terribly underdeveloped upper bodies and are prone to back and knee injuries, because we use our backs and legs to compensate for our upper body weakness. I've been working on my upper body ever since. I can't tell you what a thrill it was the first time I saw my own triceps bulge. :smile:

Amanda, get well soon!

Yvonne, your stories of all the frisky dogs and horse brought to mind a comment I heard this week. I was walking my poodles and was chatting with another dog walker about how frisky all the dogs have been this week. She said, "When I used to work with horses, we'd say they had the wind up their tails on days like this."

Joyce, you are so blessed to have hummingbirds. I used to have them at my feeder here, but about two year ago they disappeared.

Michele, I'm glad you finally got back on the horse!

Barbie, one of the things I got from reading YNY myself was the confidence to push beyond what my psysiotherapists have said I should try to do. However, those of us who have knee, back, and shoulder arthritis have to be a bit more cautitious. I've injured myself multiple times trying to push myself more vigorously than I should. I stopped doing the heart monitor for that reason. I kept injuring myself while attempting to raise my heart rate!
  • brunsda
    brunsda Posts: 78
    Options
    Happy Wednesday Night!

Diane-my sister has been using the Leslie Sansone dvd too. It is on my list to purchase.
    jb-the gardens sounds wonderful. Good job with the water and push-ups.
    Laura-glad those fires are stilll staying away from you. I don't know about you, but my jeans bag back out after a very short time. I noticed that my slacks I wear to work are getting really baggy too.
    Tallen-some exercise is better than none for sure.
    Meg-congratulations on receiving your 10 pound star.:flowerforyou: Good luck in this last week for your pounds for hounds challenge!
    Michele-you are very fortunate to have lots of places to take all those goodies you bake.:smile: What are magic cookie bars?
    Lisa-welcome! Isn't it amazing when you start paying attention to the calories in different foods. I find myself asking is it really worth eating?
    Barbara-Scottish Country dancing sounds like exercise to me.:bigsmile: Did your chiropractor say how wide to keep your knees?
    Amanda-Sorry to hear that nasty cold is hanging on. It is definately time for it to go! I had to laugh when I read that you are not a born housekeeper. I am right there with you!:laugh:
    Yvonne-hope the swelling on your knee goes down quickly. I am sure Lily's 2nd horse show will be lots of fun!
    Sherry-How exciitng to be meeting your grandaughter Paisley.
    Joyce-Do you enjoy the Just Dance?

I had good news yesterday. The blood work for my kidneys came back in the normal range. I have started using a pedometer. I think I am really going to like it. It's Off to bed for me. I have an extra early start tomorrow.

Wishing everyone a good day tomorrow.
    Dawn
  • kackie
    kackie Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Good evening, Dear Ladies!

Tomorrow is my last day on the mountain before heading back to SC...will fly with DIL and the 2 grand daughters to Chicago and then onward. DH will follow a bit later after taking care of closing up the house, etc. LOTs to do here before I leave!

DIL was feeling sick today and had a slight fever. We hope she is just a bit dehydrated and not ill and that the little ones don't get sick. I hate to end our trip with someone feeling bad.:sick: :sick:

My only exercise today was pacing around the house with a baby on my shoulder. She wasn't happy today and would only be soothed by being held and pacing. Didn't have on my HRM, so didn't record any calories burned, but I FEEL more worn out than if I had skied all day long:noway:

I read all the posts and am thinking of each of you. Take care, Kackie:heart:
  • mazaron
    mazaron Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Hi there, all:happy:

School highlight of the week:

My students are studying Ancient Greece and we are performing a comic readers-theatre version of the Battle of Troy (the part where Achilles kills Hector and Paris kills Achilles) for the school assembly next Wednesday. It was unintentional, but Achilles and Hector are played by girls and Helen, the most beautiful woman in the world, is played by a boy. The students are having a blast practicing, and it goes without saying that I am too. For bonus points, I think they will remember the stories and be able to identify the elements of Ancient Greek legends in the books they read and the TV shows and movies they see.

JB your garden sounds like a work of art. Push ups, push ups :explode: 20 push ups! Wowza.

Laura, it must have been fun hearing your DH comment on “baggy jeans”. Go shopping girl, you’ve earned it. :drinker:

Barbara, I think Line and Scottish Country dancing count as exercise!

Yvonne, I am glad you get the ice, not the cold hose, on your knee. Keep moving but don’t overdo things, OK?

Jane, glad to hear your PT is going better. :flowerforyou:

Barbie, I am doing fewer repetitions with heavier weights – today I managed 95 pounds on my squat press. 3 sets of 8 reps. Scary! Did my lunges with the big kettlebells again, but this time I knew I was carrying 35 pounds,:explode: I have to concentrate really hard on balance. Still can’t do proper push ups, though. :sad:

JipsyJudy, Good for you, working standing up. I have heard the same about women having underdeveloped upper bodies and felt the same thrill when I saw my arm muscles begin to emerge during the last eight weeks of weight training work. We are going to look knock-out :laugh: gorgeous in those sleeveless shirts when summer comes!

Dawn, my prediction is that you will love the pedometer. I used to wear one every day, all day. DH did too and we would have little contests to see who “worked harder” at work. :ohwell:

It’s the Rotary Club Wine Festival tomorrow evening – a night of friends, fun and wine tasting. I think I had better make the spin class first so I can earn an extra snack & sip or two.

Salad Sista's = I made a tuna & hard boiled egg & lots of greens & veggies salad the other day. While I was scarfing it down in the staff room one of the other teachers came by and said, "That looks really good, did you make it yourself?" :noway: Maybe he was hoping I'd share! :laugh:

Hasta pronto,

Nancy
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Ohhh I do LOVE:heart: Fridays!

Only time for a quick Hi, I did read the posts since yesterday...we are all so busy, not enough time to response, but know I'm thinking of all of you:flowerforyou:

My bookkeeper (she's 62) came in yesterday so we were able to get caught up on some things that I just don't do. She was lamenting the fact that she has gained so much weight since her husband died last June that she only has a very limited wardrobe to wear. Of course I was once again telling her to get on MFP that it really would make a difference for her, but I know from the past that she has trouble with things taking a long time to happen...she wants that quick fix...which we all know isn;t how this journey works. So I will continue on my journey and encourage her to join in...maybe one day she will:ohwell:

I had a NSV this morning when I was dressing, I was able to move over to the next smaller set of hooks on my bra:bigsmile: Since I carry so much weight in my back that is a true victory because it shows how much the back rolls are going away:wink:

Must go, lots to do on my short work day. Everyone have a good day, lets keep logging the food, drinking the water:drinker: and moving our bodies!

Laura80111:smile:
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Greetings from the absent member! I am back from a wonderful trip to Oklahoma, Arkansas, and a quick side trip to Tennessee and Mississippi. I had a great time and I am afraid to step on the scale. I managed to log exercise from my phone, but didn't find time to worry about food. I had a magnificent time spoiling my four grandsons, who spent an entire week together for the first time ever.

I hope all of you are doing well. I really don't have time to catch up on posts, but will try to jump in from this point. I am still super busy. Work has me deep into tutoring trigonometry, in addition to my usual algebra and geometry, so I am having to actually study to keep up. I am also helping with a regional music festival that our school is hosting this weekend. We are expecting 1000 high school musicians to perform, so it is a big deal. Well, I had better get back to studying my transformation matrices! Later - Mary
  • jaks97
    jaks97 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday, well Paisley arrived yesterday morning and I had big brother last nite, so another day off work. Was surprised to weigh in and almost back to where I was before my 2 week funk. While Trevor is at pre school going to run to book store for Strong women, and go to Ross and look at weights or resistance bands. Back on track after baby life settles down.
  • JamCubeChi
    JamCubeChi Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday everyone. I've read over most of the posts but forgive me If I can't comment/reply to all-time constraints with work.. Congrats to the new baby, welcome home to the traveller, kudos to the teachers! Hope eveyone has a wonderful week-end!! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • brunsda
    brunsda Posts: 78
    Options
    Happy Happy Friday!

Kackie-Hope everyone is well and no one ended up feeling ill on your last day. I can totally believe you were tired after pacing with the baby.
    Nancy-Comic Reader's Theatre is great fun! I laughed at the unintended gender reversal.:laugh: Have a good time at the wine tasting.
    Laura-I joined the "Move to the Next Hook" club too this week. Congratulations to you!:bigsmile:
    Mary-Transformation matrices - Yikes! What are you doing for the Regional Music Festival? I am sure it is a lot of work and rewarding too.
    Jaks - So glad Paisley arrived safely. So precious.

I am heading to the hairdresser for cut and color of some sort. Trying to blend natural color showing in the roots with the former color. Then this evening I am going to dinner and the ballet with a friend. We haven't seen each other since May 2011. I am really looking forward to seeing her. Have a great evening everyone.

Dawn
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Dawn - Today between math students I am preparing my room to be home room for our students. Tomorrow, I will work (volunteer that is) probably for 10 or more hours, mostly being a door monitor for one of the performance rooms. My feet hurt just thinking about it! Mary
  • yclayton
    yclayton Posts: 44
    Options
    hi everyone
    just a really quick post as i have been finishing up barn work all day and am about to take off to pick up my lily from other grandmother. did read the posts, just dont have time to respond, and will probably be mia for a week or so....will try to log on when lily is sleeping...everyone have a good safe happy productive weekend (and if your goal is to relax and do little, and you do that, i call it productive in that you reached your goal!) oh and btw i found yet another bruise on my hip that i didnt even know i had from mondays dismount!!! my hips bother me so much anyway that i didnt even notice if it was hurting more, but that bruise is big!
    gotta keep moving! love you all!
    yvonne
  • scompton54
    scompton54 Posts: 116
    Options
    Greetings All

It's been a rough and busy week. I have to admit that I am disappointed with myself because it started in a funk last Friday which made me not exercise on the weekend. and then work stuff (meetings and the semi formal dance at school) made it easy to say that I was too busy to exercise which, if I am being honest, is BS. I know that I could have done better and made better food (and wine) choices , but I didn't.

Although my ticker says that I have only lost 12 pounds, I am actually down 42 from where I started although I did gain a couple of pounds this week. It may be diet fatigue, and I know that March is traditionally my hardest month (been that way since I was a teen) but I always hope that this year will be different. Anyway, March is almost over and I finally made it to the gym today after a week away. I do know that even if I don't exercise, I eat the same amount and that is just not a losing situation. I am hoping I am back on the horse, having fallen off, and unlike some, have no sore knee to excuse me....just hurt pride!! I even stopped reading the posts here which always inspire me to keep on trucking.

Anyway, I had to return TNWLFW book to the library but got it in the mail today because I ordered it. I am about half way through stage one and will carry on. I am missing my weekly ski trip and am waiting until bike season starts in late April. I find working out outside makes a big difference to my mood in a positive way, but they are calling for snow and cold weather for the next week....yuck!

I didn't take notes but congrats for all the new grandchildren, found wallets, lost pounds and good luck to all who are struggling, have injuries or other struggles.

regards

Sarah
  • kackie
    kackie Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    FUN day:love::love: :love: ...got to go up the lift with our 3 year old GD and her instructor and watch her SKI DOWN! She did great and was smiling from ear to ear:happy: It was the highlight of the winter!

Dawn: Thanks for asking...DIL feels much better today, thank goodness! She went with me to watch Lyla ski, so all ends well:drinker:

Off to pack and wash and put away!

Sarah and others "in a funk", I hope you get to the other side soon. We all get there and just have to put one foot in front of the other to climb out. I agree....being outside doing ANYTHING helps me more than all else.

Take care and Happy Weekend, Kackie
  • westernjoy
    westernjoy Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Jaks- Precious Grandbaby.
    Yvonne- So glad you are still out moving.Somtimes it is so hard to get motavated.

Just a kick note. I have Some really exciting news. I haven't lost a pound in 3 weeks. But When I was getting dressed for work today I noticed I only had a few dimples on my legs and butt. So all the exercise is working.Things are starting to firm up.
    Wahoo This is exciting as seeing the scale go down.
    Joyce
  • realpure
    realpure Posts: 156
    Options
    Happy Friday, well Paisley arrived yesterday morning and I had big brother last nite, so another day off work. Was surprised to weigh in and almost back to where I was before my 2 week funk. While Trevor is at pre school going to run to book store for Strong women, and go to Ross and look at weights or resistance bands. Back on track after baby life settles down.

Congratulations!! She is beautiful. Enjoy every sweet moment.
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon! It's always nice when Fridays roll around. There's just something great about weekends. However, I've been trying to find some pure, honest wisdom that will help me with the upcoming 2 days. What is it about weekends that say "Let yourself go, it's ok to indulge!" :explode: Drives me absolutely crazy. I can remain in control all week long then poof, here it comes again. Now, I know that Nancy had mentioned letting go a little (just a little?? :laugh: ) on Friday and Saturday, then backing off again on Sunday and getting back into the swing of things. Actually, that's a great idea. I'm trying to wrap my head around the concept. Unfortunately I have a thick skull. :grumble:

I do remember reading in "The Anderson Method" that we should "undereat" (never less than 800 calories) for 5 days in order to allow for 2 days of fun stuff. That's all fine and good, but I didn't really "undereat" this week. Scale didn't move but I did have a fortunate experience yesterday and fit into size 14 Levis. My 16's are getting quite baggy. Also found some long-sleeve T's that do not, and I repeat, do not! have an X on the tag. Oh my gosh, I think I've actually done it! No more 1X, 2X or even XL. Yay! Happy happy happy. :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

It's getting close to wine time, so I've been pounding down several glasses of water in hopes of offsetting the guzzle factor. :laugh:

I'm off to prepare some chicken enchiladas. Everyone have a great evening, and wonderful weekend! :flowerforyou:
    jb
  • SallyCC
    SallyCC Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    Trying to stay positive but I am in a funk this week. I am glad that April 1st is coming and hope that I will feel more inspired. I am going to finish out cycle 3 on this round of the 17 Day Diet. I have been sloppy lately. Getting to see the chiropractor next Friday will be a relief...the pinched nerve keeps cropping up. I really give people who live with chronic pain so much credit after dealing with this for the past couple of weeks. It is not awful all the time but it comes back like a toothache. I am taking Aleve very regularly and that makes me feel a little sick. So enough whining from me..... Tonight I am going to regroup, plan my food for the next couple of days and plan some gentle exercise I can do. Looking forward always is a good thing!

To a good week for all!!!
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,381 Member
    Options
    Did anyone else get a message from a larrybrown asking if they wanted male motivation?

Did 50 minutes of Gin Miller's Classic Step DVD. Virginia - I believe you asked me about which step DVD's I liked. I really like this one. Her cues are very good, it's not complicated at all, lots of repition but I always get my heartrate up when I do it. Tomorrow I'll do some yoga

Dawn - Magic Cookie Bars are butter melted, then graham crackers, then sweetened condensed milk, chocolate chips and the original recipe calls for coconut but because of Jessica's allergy I substitute butterscotch chips. Congrats on the blood work!

Exercised this morning, then took a package to the post office, then took things to the soup kitchen, played mahjongg, bowled 4 games, then went to Aldi's since Vince needed more milk.

kackie - it seems like just yesterday that you were leaving for the mountain. Safe travels. How wonderful you got to see your gd

Laura - congrats on moving those bra hooks. That's great!

Welcome Paisley!

Tomorrow there is a fundraiser for three students who have cancer (one's mother is fighting breast cancer). A member of the newcomers substitute teaches at that school. I think we'll go, if anything, to get the cars washed....lol

Sarah - don't beat yourself up. We all go thru periods of time when we aren't that good. I know that I do. The important thing is that you're back. I know that for me, when I fall off, sometimes it takes me a few days to get back on track, but I get there, and you will too. Don't give up!

Joyce - WooHoo for you!!!

jb - I did the same as you and then as Nancy. I used to "let myself go" on the weekends, then just a little on Sat and all day Sun. It really got to the point where I almost couldn't wait for Sun to be over so that I could go back to my healthy eating. You'll get there. That's great about your clothes!

sally - I hand iot to you, being able to plan your meals for the next couple of days. I'm lucky just to be able to plan the next day's breakfast.

Well, off to watch TV and then beddybye. Hope everyone has a great evening.

Michele