What was the moment you realized you needed to lose weight?

Options

Replies

• Graciecny
    Graciecny Posts: 303
    Options
    What did it for me was climbing on the scale and seeing a century I had never seen before. This was fully clothed and late in the day, but still - tipping into the 200's was not something I was willing to do! :noway: If that wasn't my tipping point, what would it be, the next hundred? KWIM? I had to draw a line, and that was IT.

I started working out the next day and reading up on watching calories/weight. I found MFP a week later and couldn't be happier. This has been the easiest way imaginable to follow my caloric intake - I couldn't imagine keeping a food diary, but give me an app for my phone and I'm good to go! Never mind that it's the same in principle. :laugh:

Thank you to at the previous posters for sharing your stories - it is definitely inspirational to hear how you've all decided to change your lives. :flowerforyou:
  • Michelle_Nicole
    Michelle_Nicole Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    The moment for me was when more then 3 customers thought I was pregnant and bought me congrats cards. That and I was almost the same weight as my BF who is 6'3.
  • McMeggers
    McMeggers Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Ive been big my whole life but i think my big moment was when my mom suddenly died out of the blue , i put on 40 pounds after she died because i didnt want to feel anything and just like every other time in my life food was there for me . My mother had diabetes and my father who is still alive also has diabetes, i at present time do not ( thank god) and im trying to keep it that way :cry:
  • dieseljay74
    dieseljay74 Posts: 376
    Options
    I saw myself in some pictures and couldnt believe it. That was all it took for me
  • jdm120
    jdm120 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I put on my jeans and they ripped at the seams :(
  • BEAUTIFULbyB
    Options
    I was doing makeup for a photographer and he asked me what build the client had... and I (not trying to be rude) responded that she was "chunky"... and he said "well, what do you consider as chunky? because you could be considered as chunky." It just bothered me so much to actually hear that... and made me take a look at myself!!! @BeautifulbyB
  • ChristinelovesCraig
    ChristinelovesCraig Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    When we went to Disney last November, MH took a picture of me in my bathing suit and I wanted to cry.

Also, I was on TV and I watched myself and I couldn't believe it was me. You could only see me for about 3 seconds but those three seconds were horrid. I had five chins and my stomach was sticking out. The next day I joined MFP.
  • awidener86
    awidener86 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    One morning I was getting dressed and pulled up my pair of jeans and my belt loop ripped! I looked in the mirror and realized I really needed a change. Soo here I am on MFP.

Share your story! When was that "Ah-Ha!" moment that made you realize you needed to change?

The belt loop thing happened to me a couple months ago. But I was looking at pictures and all I could think to myself was "EWW When did I put this weight back on?!"
  • GurleyGirl524
    GurleyGirl524 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    When we moved into a new house and the bathroom mirror is directly across from the shower. YIKES!!
  • chergarr73
    chergarr73 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    You know, I was very unhappy with my appearance, but for some reason that alone could never reduce me to an aha moment...my aha moment came when a dear friend of mine, who is only a few years older than me (she is 41) had a stroke. While she was heavier than me, it was a wake up call. Funny how day to day we feel kind of immortal. When she had her stroke, I couldn't help but think "it could have been me". That day, I got serious about my HEALTH...and I haven't looked back.
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I used to listen to BBC Radio 1 regularly first thing in the morning in the car on the way into work. It was hearing Chris Moyles the Breakfast Show DJ go on about how much he weighed and smoked. I remember my eyes widening at the time at both, because I was smoking the same amount (per day) at the time and at the weight he claimed to be (18st or 252lbs). When I got home weighed myself and found, I weighed nearly the same as he did - not quite 18st but close enough. That was all the incentive I needed to at least get started!

I lost the first couple of stones in weight faily easily, but once I packed up the smoking I struggled with the weight. If I'm honest I made one excuse after another as to why the weight wasn't coming off. But it's been nearly 2 years since I packed up the smokes and the only reason I've not gotten to goal yet is me. So here's to the a-ha moment!!
  • Brandongood
    Brandongood Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    When I recieved an adverse performance report in the Marine Corps for being outside of height and weight standards. I was so fat I couldnt even button the top button of my uniform.
  • hlandry6
    hlandry6 Posts: 230
    Options
    Being asked if I was expecting and needed bigger size pants
  • Jen_ht
    Jen_ht Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    One morning I was getting dressed and pulled up my pair of jeans and my belt loop ripped! I looked in the mirror and realized I really needed a change. Soo here I am on MFP.

Share your story! When was that "Ah-Ha!" moment that made you realize you needed to change?

SAME!

That and my mum is pretty brutally honest about how much weight I've gained since I was younger (think 4 years ago). And pictures of my friends who suddenly seemed all much much skinnier than me :/ My friends at work had a different tap and track app for iPhone, but I have Android and found this to be even better - and more social :)
  • MrsBlobs
    MrsBlobs Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Recently...feeling like I'm about to die when trying to tie up my boots. If I can breath at all it's only in little shallow puffs and that was only last week. Last August was seeing a pic of me looking huge! I looked like a blob, hence my name and had the same amount of flab poking out of my back as I did my front. That did it.
  • echoica
    echoica Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I was having a hard time walking any sort of distance :blushing: and was having a harder time finding nice clothes for work even in plus sizes! i was also having a lot of pain and bloating in my feet
  • mrsbastone
    mrsbastone Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I didn't have one "Aha" moment. I knew I was gaining weight. A few things triggered me.. First my mom wrote me an email saying how concerned she was about me. Two I no longer had any clothes that actually fit me. When I had to buy a size 20and it was really tight, I knew I had to do something. I was at a cross roads in my life. There were two options, become extremely overweight and most likely never recover or take control of my life and be an example for my girls. Thank God I took control!! My life is incredible now :o)
  • HarpingOn
    HarpingOn Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Reaching 40, and with a young son made me buck my ideas up. By the time he's a mid teenager, I'll be into my 50s, and weight loss is never easier as you get older. I can now run back to back 10ks, and I tire the lad (4yo) out when running, playing hard outdoors, and I don't feel it.

Hopefully this means I can be much more active with him for much longer. As you can see from my banner, I had a lot to get off.

Oddly, I'm now just below the weight I was when I got married, back in '94.

I'm really happy with my progress now. My badminton has improved massively, I still have all the shots in the bag, but now I'm much more mobile, and in the best form of my life.

Wish I'd done it sooner.

In fact no. Wish I'd never let myself go so badly, but that was a drifting thing. I'm not going to drift again.

It's so enjoyable being fit and (I assume) healthy, and being able to buy normal sized clothes. Even fitted T-Shirts. (or perhaps, 40 is too old to be wearing fitted Tees!).

Anyway. That was it. Last august on holiday when being totally out-puffed by a four year old.
  • jentaylor412
    Options
    My re-awaking moment came last week after I was in my kitchen complaining that I needed to lose weight upset with myself and to cheer me up my 5 year old said you're not fat mom...you're just gonna have another baby soon. I wanted to cry.
  • Christina_3192
    Christina_3192 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I stepped on the scale and saw 160
    It terrified me because I went to college weighing 125 pounds, cholesterol issues solved, feeling great.

Seeing how bad it had gotten was enough to make me go "oh poop!"

Down to 146, and getting closer to the goal :)

I still have little "ah" moments when I have pictures taken with friends.