Tanning??

Options
123457»

Replies

• HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    As a licensed esthetician, I am strongly opposed to tanning beds! Even if you take the skin cancer factor away, tanning will really age your skin and can cause hyperpigmentation (dark spots/freckles). You can't reverse the effect of damaging your collagen and elastin, once it's gone it's gone - and tanning even a little contributes to the damage. Products can temporarily help, but nothing is permanent.

I love being tan as much as the next girl, but if you're gonna tan, spray tan is the way to go. Please don't use the beds! Love your skin and treat it well!

All I heard was that sound when adults talked in Peanuts... lol

Y.O.L.O - You only live once. Enjoy it.

I hear you!! I tan b/c it gives me some confidence. When you are overweight you need some sort of boost to make you feel good as you go down you weight loss journey! Plus I love the quote 'Tan fat looks better than white fat!"

FACT:
    Mood was measured before and after each tanning exposure. The results revealed greater relaxation and lower tension after UV exposure compared to non-UV exposure. The researchers theorize that UV exposure leads to the release of chemicals in the brain called endorphins that are linked to both pain relief and euphoric feelings.

You know if you're just looking for relaxation, pain relief and euphoric feelings, and you don't care about nasty side effects (all true from what you just posted) heroin is a great way to achieve all that. It will even boost the weight loss for you.
  • Acliff510
    Acliff510 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    As a licensed esthetician, I am strongly opposed to tanning beds! Even if you take the skin cancer factor away, tanning will really age your skin and can cause hyperpigmentation (dark spots/freckles). You can't reverse the effect of damaging your collagen and elastin, once it's gone it's gone - and tanning even a little contributes to the damage. Products can temporarily help, but nothing is permanent.

I love being tan as much as the next girl, but if you're gonna tan, spray tan is the way to go. Please don't use the beds! Love your skin and treat it well!

I hear you!! I tan b/c it gives me some confidence. When you are overweight you need some sort of boost to make you feel good as you go down you weight loss journey! Plus I love the quote 'Tan fat looks better than white fat!"

FACT:
    Mood was measured before and after each tanning exposure. The results revealed greater relaxation and lower tension after UV exposure compared to non-UV exposure. The researchers theorize that UV exposure leads to the release of chemicals in the brain called endorphins that are linked to both pain relief and euphoric feelings.

You know if you're just looking for relaxation, pain relief and euphoric feelings, and you don't care about nasty side effects (all true from what you just posted) heroin is a great way to achieve all that. It will even boost the weight loss for you.

I'm not looking to get nasty ... please just let it be & we can agree to disagree!! If everyone was the same this world would be a boring place!

Thank You
  • karinefitness
    karinefitness Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with Melanoma at 25. It is one of the fastest growing cancer for women between 25-29. I never really got burnt growing up but it does make your chances of getting melanoma or basal cell greater. I come from a long line of fair skinned people, have reddish hair and freckles. They said this also made my chances of getting melanoma higher. Just be careful.

Thanks for sharing... I keep thinking I'm safe, since I'm young and etc.. but I guess I am not! We never are.
    I just need to get this into my head... but once I go tanning I find it hard to stop... I've reduced, at least, but I still know it's unhealthy.
    Honestly, I'm pretty sure tanning is somewhat addictive.
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options

FACT:

I'm not looking to get nasty ... please just let it be & we can agree to disagree!! If everyone was the same this world would be a boring place!

Thank You

I wasn't trying to be nasty. If I was trying to be nasty, I'd start talking about thymine dimerization. I was simply pointing out the extents that some people will go to rationalize unhealthy, but "fun" behavior.

ETA: I would also agree with you that the world is certainly less boring with folks with unhealthy habits (either recognized or heavily rationalized), not joking :) I have several unhealthy habits that I rather enjoy myself, tanning is just not one of them. Um, neither is heroin, just to clarify.
  • spapsidero
    Options
    Love it and love a tan man! Like with anything else u have to do it in moderation and smart. This year I have done 3 weeks in the tanning bed (with one or two weeks in between), I get natural sun at least 3x a week for about an hour a day. I have a very nice golden brown tan. I do have a secret weapon that accelerates and prolongs the tan and it's nothing u rub on u. Message me if u wanna know.
  • Emili03
    Emili03 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I agree that tanning is bad for your skin. Luckily my hubby and kids have a beautiful natural tan! :) Wish I could say the same for myself. I do tan occassionally in natural sunlight but no tanning beds for me.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I tan because it helps my skin. I get cystic acne breakouts and occasionally symptoms of psoriasis and tanning is the only thing that helps.

Life IS too short, I would rather live a short life, comfortable in my own skin than a long life, miserable with my appearance and spending my time hiding my skin.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I tan in the real sun and I fake and bake. I typically F&B before vacation because I'm so dang white. I lay out on the patio in the summer not only to get some color on my skin but for the benefits of the vitamin D the sun offers.
  • Brittany3914
    Brittany3914 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I don't tan for a few reasons:

1. I watched my dad die from skin cancer when I was 10 years old
    2. Pale is beautiful
    3. People who tan too much look leather-y and fake (in my opinion)
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why people tan. Your skin is your skin. Why does it have to be a different color for you to be pretty? *baffled*

I don't understand why people diet. Your body is your body. Why does it have to be a different shape for you to be pretty? *baffled*
  • missjones93
    missjones93 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I always tan before summer. Swimming pool and river seasons. AND for those of you who say: I don't see why this that and the other. I tan mainly because here in the summer if you go out for more than 30 minutes with white bright skin you will burn your @ss off. I'd rather not burn to death. However, tanning beds are super relaxing.