Women Ages 50+ for the month of AUGUST

Options

Replies

• 4everhealthy
    Options
    Thanks for the information on Apple Cider Vinegar I may try it just to see how it does, :happy:
  • HeatherMMB
    Options
    Hi all!

I will be interested to hear about the apple cider - I have read both + and neutral articles - I hope it helps!! :smile:

Bought some Leslie DVD's yesterday - the treadmill is gettin very boring! Trying to get the cats to come for a run with me but they just fall on thier sides and look at me like I'm nuts!! :noway:

Well, I am into the double digits! :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: and my BMI has come down 0.8! :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: so I am really pleased! Did discover on the w/e that bread and I - even the full of grain, seeds, bark and twigs type , may not be a good mix with my metabolism - I get big carbo cravings after bread of any kind - I seem to do better with higher protein and veg carbs! Good thing I like all vegetables - except cucumber!

I hope everyone is off to a good start this week! every day with choices is a good one!!
    :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
    take good care!

HMMB
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    Did discover on the w/e that bread and I - even the full of grain, seeds, bark and twigs type , may not be a good mix with my metabolism - I get big carbo cravings after bread of any kind - I seem to do better with higher protein and veg carbs! Good thing I like all vegetables - except cucumber!
    HMMB

Me too! Seems those simple carbs just make me crave even MORE carbs. Yesterday I ate every time I felt hungry but didn't eat any simple carbs of any kind and wasn't even tempted to go over my calories. And I don't like cucumbers either....unless they are pickles that is!

I'm keeping my 22 mo old great-nephew today. Fun times ahead! :laugh:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,944 Member
    Options

Did discover on the w/e that bread and I - even the full of grain, seeds, bark and twigs type , may not be a good mix with my metabolism - I get big carbo cravings after bread of any kind

Me, too. When I go to the grocery store, I don't have any trouble passing all the sweets, chips, and other snack foods, but the bakery with its wonderful loaves of bread draws me near. If I could have a slice of bread, I would, but what I really want is the whole loaf (maybe two):laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I'll post more later, hugs :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
    Barbie
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Heather, SuzyQ, Barbie-

I totally agree with all of you. If I have any carbs, I want more. If I don't have any, I don't want any. So, I try to plan bread free days several times a week.

Glad to hear it's not just me.

Jeannie
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    My son, who is an auto machanic, was working under a car a few years ago. A man in his 80s got down under the car to watch. My son asked him how he can be so limber at his age. He replied that he took apple cidar vinegar every morning, in a warm cup of water.
  • HeatherMMB
    Options
    Hi- glad to hear I am not alone with the bread thing! :happy:

Suz - can you post what apple cider tastes like once you try it??

HMMB
  • Grammymax
    Grammymax Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Wow - I am so addicted to bread products. Any of it is good especially when warm. But, I have to be very careful also on the intake. I limit myself to one serving a day. (That would include rice or pasta - so toasted whole wheat english muffin for breakfast means I don't have anything the rest of the day!):ohwell:

We took our truck in to the mechanic today and then walked home. When we go pick it up I'll clock it to see how far it was. I'm guessing 2.5 to 3 miles - it took 45 minutes.

I reached my personal daily goals yesterday so today it is pretty much the same:
    80 oz water
    cardio workout
    stick to my eating plan!!!!

Have a great day everyone.

Esther
  • aleanerme
    aleanerme Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies

I'm glad I found this thread. It is a lot more difficult to lose weight at this age. It's coming off slowly for me as well but I'm determined to stick with it. I've been exercising almost every day since I started my "new mindset" three weeks ago. I'm also working with a personal trainer. She is awesome working with 50+ women. Our bodies have special needs. I was tired of going to the gym and having some 20's something trainer have very unrealistic expectations for me. If I can lose weight and tone up, I will be happy.

The food diary is keeping me honest. I am eating smaller portions of food every two to three hours. Haven't really felt hungry and most of my cravings are gone. I attended a trade show last evening and it was a catered affair. Lots of tempting finger foods including chicken wings. But I was able to select from a veggie and fruit tray. I kept myself busy milling around talking to people. That really helped.

Good luck to all. Lots of great inspiration on this site.

Diane
  • Grammymax
    Options
    Diane,
    Welcome. This is a great source of encouragement. Glad you found us.
    Esther
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    SuzyQ - can you post what apple cider tastes like once you try it??
    HMMB

Well, of course it is SOUR! :tongue: I can't say I LIKE the taste, but its really not all that bad.

The first time I took a teaspoonful, it sort of burned going down and almost took my breath away. I've since learned to always chase it with a juice glass full of cold water, so even though it doesn't taste wonderful, once I drink the water the taste is long gone. (I buy Bragg's Organic Apple Cider Vinegar as it was the only kind in our grocery store with "mother" in it.)

Hope this doesn't gross you all out, but the best way I've found to take my teaspoon of vinegar is to get my glass of water ready. Then get a good mouthful of spit going before I take the spoonful. It goes down quickly and I barely taste it that way.

Its important to chase it with at least a swallow or two of water to rinse the acid off your teeth and throat. :drinker: Taking it WITH a meal is important to prevent stomach upset. I took it 3 times yesterday and plan to continue taking it after meals. From what I've read about the health benefits, even if it doesn't make me lose faster, the antioxidant properties are worth it.

BTW, it also makes a wonderful astringent. There's a lady at our church who hasn't used any kind of soap for years. She bathes in... you guessed it.... Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar. And her complexion is amazing!

If you really want to know all about apple cider vinegar go to Braggs.com
  • LaurelFisher
    LaurelFisher Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Good evening Ladies:smile: Sounds like August is shaping up to be a good month. It's so nice to read the posts and hear how everyone is handling their temptations. :wink: and losing weight or maintaining. When I read what everyone has to say it's almost like a bunch of old friends sitting around chatting. :happy: It puts a smile on my face.
    Today was a challenge for me :grumble: My boss' husband is a chef and sometimes brings food in for us. Today his little surprise was cream of crab soup with fresh bread bowls to dip it into.:devil:
    Well I couldn't resist. I took the little top that he cut off (so he could hollow out the big bowl ) and hollowed it out and put about a 1/4 cup of soup in it'. Then to top it off we had a crabfeast for the residents and staff and my husband brought home about a dozen. I only ate 3 and they were very small. Guess I will be doing an extra 3 miles tonight.:laugh: I think I might try the apple cider vinegar. Hope everyone has a wonderful evening, Rosemary
  • Grammymax
    Options
    SuzyQ - can you post what apple cider tastes like once you try it??
    HMMB
    The first time I took a teaspoonful, it sort of burned going down and almost took my breath away. I've since learned to always chase it with a juice glass full of cold water, so even though it doesn't taste wonderful, once I drink the water the taste is long gone. (I buy Bragg's Organic Apple Cider Vinegar as it was the only kind in our grocery store with "mother" in it.)

Its important to chase it with at least a swallow or two of water to rinse the acid off your teeth and throat. :drinker: Taking it WITH a meal is important to prevent stomach upset. I took it 3 times yesterday and plan to continue taking it after meals. From what I've read about the health benefits, even if it doesn't make me lose faster, the antioxidant properties are worth it.

Couldn't you just add it to the glass of water? Just a suggestion.
  • l_mahloy
    l_mahloy Posts: 118
    Options
    Hi,
    Had a good day worked out and ate well. Hope to maintain weight over next few weeks and work out as often as I can fit in.
    Lynn:drinker:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,944 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

a few more comments about apple cider vinegar

:flowerforyou: today we were in a health food store and one of the most prominently displayed products was Bragg's apple cider vinegar

:flowerforyou: one of the ingredients in the natural accelerator capsules that I take as part of my Isagenix progam is apple cider vinegar
    I've been taking it twice a day for months and didn't realize it until I read the book about the ingredients today

Congrats to all of you have shed another pound or two......slow and steady wins the race......never, never, never give up.

hugs to all:heart::heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
    Barbie
  • LaurelFisher
    LaurelFisher Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies:flowerforyou: hot and humid here today. :devil: I will definitly be :drinker: drink:drinker: drink:drinker: drinking:drinker: that water today. I really need to get back with the program and no straying:noway: I did the 4 mile Leslie Sansone last night with a little more intensity and boy did I sweat, I'm hurting in places this morning that I didn't even know I had :laugh: Prayers to everyone for good health, good eating and good friends:smile: Love :heart: and Hugs :flowerforyou: to all, Rosemary
  • vickim26
    vickim26 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Good Morning ladies,
    I hope you are all having a good day. I am waking up slowly this morning. Had 2 3 yr old granddaughters last night. They are wonderful but Emma woke up about 3:30 this morning with a little croupy cough. Took me a while to get back to sleep cause I was listening to her breathing to make sure it was okay. Will nap later with them I guess. This old lady needs her sleep. LOL
    Lost nearly another pound this week. 2 more to reach my 50 pound loss. Hard to believe 8 months ago I was carrying all that around. Congrats to all of you that are still losing. To those who are not it will happen. Just keep on working hard. I have been missing some people on here. Hope all are okay. Susie hope the vinegar works for you. I am through with all of the little tricks. I just eat as best as I can and work out as much as I can. I have probably tried just about everything out there that there is. Have a good day ladies.
    Vicki M.
  • healthier4me
    healthier4me Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Good Morning everyone:flowerforyou:

We came home from our latest camping and music festival early Sunday then travelled on to the big city for an overnight stay at a hotel so we could be at my first MRI apt at 5:00 am Monday...it was a very long day...one MRI done and now I have to wait to the next one in early October.

What a wonderful time we had camping with great friends, super music and incredible weather:bigsmile: It was exceptionally warm everyday but we didn't mind because we walked early in the morning and then stayed in the shade in the afternoon. In the evening we enjoyed the warm beautiful night under the stars listening to the music. Saturday morning my DH and I were up at 2:45 a.m. to journey down to the field in front of the stage to wait in a lineup to put our chairs on the field...they will not let you leave your chairs until 6:30 am...I took a good book and a booklight and hubby slept...so two mornings this week I have watched the sun come up...and I am a little behind in my sleeping but all in all it was a great time:smile: .

I must confess I indulged a little more than I normally do...it was my birthday while we were away so we ate out a couple of times and I enjoyed the chocolate cake my DH bought me...but I did walk at least twice a day (limped is more like it with my troublesome knees:laugh: ) and I did a workout with my hand weights. Now it is back to routine and getting things done around the house.

Welcome to some new members:flowerforyou: This is the greatest support thread and we are always happy to have new members join in:happy:

I had emailed a few of the members were haven't heard from in awhile and they are all doing well...busy like the rest of us...Elli said to say "hi".

Congratulations to those of you staying the course:flowerforyou: and working so hard at a healthier you. Remember we all deserve to be the very best that we can be.

Well I am off to get some laundry done, trailer cleaned out and put the house in some resemblance of order. Have a great day ladies and I am soooooooooo happy to get back on track to keeping in touch with everyone. I surely missed you all:heart:

Marie:heart:
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    Couldn't you just add it [vinegar] to the glass of water? Just a suggestion.

Sure you could. But I'd rather deal with a spoonful of something I don't particularly like the taste of than several ounces. It tastes great if you add honey and vinegar to the water. Just don't want those extra honey calories.

:laugh: I'm down another pound! :laugh: I've been losing about a pound a week so don't know if I can say its the vinegar yet or not. IF I lose at least one more by Friday, then I'd say yes. One thing I am noticing is I don't crave sweets at all since I started taking the vinegar. That in itself is worth something!
  • Grammymax
    Options
    Vicki: good for you. 50 lbs in 8 months !

Marie: Sounds like your camping trip was wonderful. Hope your MRI's come out good.

Susan: Yeah, maybe that's true about adding the vinegar to the water. What do you mean when you say vinegar with 'mother'. Do you mean organic? I thought Apple Cider Vinegars were all the same.

Hope you all have a great day. It's hot here so I'm in the house for the rest of the day. Have been out t do my moring workout and now it's housework time I guess :ohwell:

Esther