Tried to eat more it does not work

Options

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    No one gets fat on 1000 cals a day. If you aren't losing weight and you are netting under 1000, you are either lying about what you eat or um...no, I can't think of any other option.

No you cant gain fat but you cant lose fat either. Most of the weight loss is muscle mass. And a result is a slower metabolism
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I find your responses funny. My doctor is both a nutritionist and a MD. She has a bachelor in nutrition and worked as a fitness trainer and went back to med school after her first daughter was born to become a doctor and own her own weightloss clinic. SO before you go and posting about things you are not clued in on, ask first. Just a suggestion.

I am also educated in nurtition and science. I do think that it depends on where you get your information from whether or not it is correct. I hold a bachelor in animal science and hold a teaching certificate in science. I understand that I must research my topics and doctors. I HAVE researched them and she is very well credited in her area of specialty. My point was on how you state your position (most were rude and mean) and that if you are NOT in a specialty to not pass out your opinion because some people will bite and it may actually hurt their health.

ALSO if you are passing out these advices but not considering all the health of that person, like diabetes, high blood pressure, thyroid disease, cardio disease, immune disorder and liver function, then you should really not tell people what they should be doing. IT may effect their health. I just stated what my doctor told ME to do. The human body has other factors that play into how it works. Hormones are a big piece of that puzzle and everyones body makes these hormones on different levels and therefore will always have different results.

I am not argueing or debating with anyone. My heart just hurt for this woman who asked for simple help when people were just flat out rude or mean. So I hope she figures out what works and is successful in her journey. May the weight fall off and you find your true happiness.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19943985

How bout the NIH? Do that count as a reputal source for meal timing?

OP, lets try to put some stuff in perspective and try to be as unbias as possible. It's obvious things aren't working for you. I say this for a few simple reasons. First, if it was working, then why would you have increased your calories in the first place? And I believe Einstein said the definition of insanity is " doing the same experiement over and over and expecting different results". So going back to your old ways will cause an issue right?

Now, there are a few main factors you have to consider when looking for weight loss, or more importanly, fat loss. The two main variables are a BMR and your TDEE. Your BMR is aka as your metabolic rate. This is the amount of calories your body requires to run the systems (organs, brain, etc...) and your TDEE is the amount of calories your body burns throughout a day, including exercise. Now for all those who are "older" and say I have a slower metabolic rate, there is a reason for it. As people age, your body has a harder time holding onto lean muscle mass. Is that a problem? Not soo much. This just means your starting point to measure TDEE is lower than your 20 year old twin. I know we all want to say we are special and different but we aren't (see first link for more information).

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/you-are-not-different.html

Ok, so now we established that you have two major variables, we have to evaluate your caloric needs (aka - calories to burn fat, maintain lean muscle mass and run all the systems). To understand, I will do some estimates based on real life people I have worked with. One of the people I am working with used to eat 1400 calories and did a ton of cardio. She plateau'd around 145 lbs for months. She is 36 years old and came to me after seeing some post of mine (as you can tell with my followers). And here is her response

"I just wanted to thank you for your help. You helped me a few months back and I just wanted to give you an update on my progress. 12 weeks ago I started at 154 and 28% bf. I got my bf remeasured last Friday and it was 24%. But I only lost 1 pound. It is crazy to me but I have learned to ignore the scale. You were right that keeping consistent and not giving up my body would finally adjust.

Thanks again for your help!

Stephanie"

BTW, her routine is ONLY weight lifting. Zero cardio. And she was eating 2100 calories on workout days and 1800 calories on non workout days.

It's a simple known fact, that your body needs calories to burn. Calories = fuel. So what happens when you don't eat enough calories? You put a lot of stress on your body and your body fights back (see second link)

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/why-big-caloric-deficits-and-lots-of-activity-can-hurt-fat-loss.html

So for all those number geeks, lets look at an example. Lets say your BMR is 1400 calories and you do 30DS (where you burn 300 calories a day) and you live a sedentary lifestyle. That means your caloric needs are:

1400 * 1.2 + 300 = 1980

From there we can form a deficit

i use a 20% deficit as the bigger you are, the large the deficit you can sustain and this will help preserve muscle mass

=1980 * .8 = 1584

This means, your nutritional needs are 1600 calories a day. Now eating below this doesn't mean you will lose faster. The math says it will, but the body can contradict the math as proven by those on VLCD that are already in a healthier weight limit and those who hit weight loss plateaus.

Lets start here and discuss. I could rant for longer but I will reframe.

Lemon

Bumpin this.
  • rydn4h2o
    rydn4h2o Posts: 255
    Options
    I agree with you!!! I was told the same thing because I range anywhere from 1000-1200 a day and I am losing about 1-2 pounds a week. When I eat more I don't do so well. Everyone is different and I'm not going to force myself to eat just to get over 1200 calories. That's crazy to me. Your body has a way of telling you to eat hungry so if your not feeling it don't do it.

Thanks for that l agree..I do eat every 2-3 hours throughout the day so l am keeping my body in fuel so that l do not burn out and l am very fit and on the go all day long with 3 kids and work to keep me busy and l am very happy eating around 1200 or least.

I am not going to eat the calories that l am burning l find that not right, why burn calories if you are only going to eat them back?

I agree! Everyone's body is different and you just have to adjust and figure out what works best for you! Best of luck!
  • Tigermad
    Tigermad Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I find your responses funny. My doctor is both a nutritionist and a MD. She has a bachelor in nutrition and worked as a fitness trainer and went back to med school after her first daughter was born to become a doctor and own her own weightloss clinic. SO before you go and posting about things you are not clued in on, ask first. Just a suggestion.

I am also educated in nurtition and science. I do think that it depends on where you get your information from whether or not it is correct. I hold a bachelor in animal science and hold a teaching certificate in science. I understand that I must research my topics and doctors. I HAVE researched them and she is very well credited in her area of specialty. My point was on how you state your position (most were rude and mean) and that if you are NOT in a specialty to not pass out your opinion because some people will bite and it may actually hurt their health.

ALSO if you are passing out these advices but not considering all the health of that person, like diabetes, high blood pressure, thyroid disease, cardio disease, immune disorder and liver function, then you should really not tell people what they should be doing. IT may effect their health. I just stated what my doctor told ME to do. The human body has other factors that play into how it works. Hormones are a big piece of that puzzle and everyones body makes these hormones on different levels and therefore will always have different results.

I am not argueing or debating with anyone. My heart just hurt for this woman who asked for simple help when people were just flat out rude or mean. So I hope she figures out what works and is successful in her journey. May the weight fall off and you find your true happiness.

OP, lets try to put some stuff in perspective and try to be as unbias as possible. It's obvious things aren't working for you. I say this for a few simple reasons. First, if it was working, then why would you have increased your calories in the first place? And I believe Einstein said the definition of insanity is " doing the same experiement over and over and expecting different results". So going back to your old ways will cause an issue right?

Now, there are a few main factors you have to consider when looking for weight loss, or more importanly, fat loss. The two main variables are a BMR and your TDEE. Your BMR is aka as your metabolic rate. This is the amount of calories your body requires to run the systems (organs, brain, etc...) and your TDEE is the amount of calories your body burns throughout a day, including exercise. Now for all those who are "older" and say I have a slower metabolic rate, there is a reason for it. As people age, your body has a harder time holding onto lean muscle mass. Is that a problem? Not soo much. This just means your starting point to measure TDEE is lower than your 20 year old twin. I know we all want to say we are special and different but we aren't (see first link for more information).

Ok, so now we established that you have two major variables, we have to evaluate your caloric needs (aka - calories to burn fat, maintain lean muscle mass and run all the systems). To understand, I will do some estimates based on real life people I have worked with. One of the people I am working with used to eat 1400 calories and did a ton of cardio. She plateau'd around 145 lbs for months. She is 36 years old and came to me after seeing some post of mine (as you can tell with my followers). And here is her response

"I just wanted to thank you for your help. You helped me a few months back and I just wanted to give you an update on my progress. 12 weeks ago I started at 154 and 28% bf. I got my bf remeasured last Friday and it was 24%. But I only lost 1 pound. It is crazy to me but I have learned to ignore the scale. You were right that keeping consistent and not giving up my body would finally adjust.

Stephanie"

BTW, her routine is ONLY weight lifting. Zero cardio. And she was eating 2100 calories on workout days and 1800 calories on non workout days.

It's a simple known fact, that your body needs calories to burn. Calories = fuel. So what happens when you don't eat enough calories? You put a lot of stress on your body and your body fights back (see second link)

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/why-big-caloric-deficits-and-lots-of-activity-can-hurt-fat-loss.html

So for all those number geeks, lets look at an example. Lets say your BMR is 1400 calories and you do 30DS (where you burn 300 calories a day) and you live a sedentary lifestyle. That means your caloric needs are:

1400 * 1.2 + 300 = 1980

i use a 20% deficit as the bigger you are, the large the deficit you can sustain and this will help preserve muscle mass

=1980 * .8 = 1584

This means, your nutritional needs are 1600 calories a day. Now eating below this doesn't mean you will lose faster. The math says it will, but the body can contradict the math as proven by those on VLCD that are already in a healthier weight limit and those who hit weight loss plateaus.

Lemon

But on 1600 calories a day with 300 30ds every day the net will only be 1300 cals. This is below the bmr suggested of 1400. This is not good advice.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    My BMR is 2300 a day with a 500 calorie deficit to lose a pound a week, I exercise 6 days a week with 1 day off... I am a Firm believer in fueling my body to fuel my workouts, that being said on workout days I eat 3200 calories a day (I burn no less than 1000 calories a workout per my Polar FT60) which is 900 calories over my daily BMR (I eat back 85-90% of my exercise calories) and in the process have lost 305 lbs. and went from 560 lbs. to 255 lbs. as of Wednesday... You have to fuel your body if your going to push it that hard... Good luck to you......
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem. When I was eating more, I was at a plateau. Then I began cross checking it with other data. I checked Health Canada to see what I should be eating for someone my age and my activity level. The recommendation was 1650 calories, which is where the automated MFP had set me at. But at 204 lbs, I needed to lose, not maintain.

Health Canada: http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/fn-an/food-guide-aliment/basics-base/1_1_1-eng.php

So I went on line, and found a few websites that recommended that I eat 1200 calories. So I re-set MFP at 1250, and if I stick to eating between 1200 and 1300, I lose. And to lose, I NEED to exercise, but not eat back the calories.

I figure that eating at a 400 calorie deficit, and losing slowly is what I need to do. I eat healthy, whole foods all cooked from scratch and not empty calories, so that I am not hungry. This is unlike WW where I was hungry all the time, lost 30 pounds, and was so ravenous when I reached goal that I gained everything back at the rate of 2 lbs per month.

So, the lesson from all this, is what works if you are a 62 year old mainly sedentary senior is probably not suited for a super-active working mom of 30. So, check out different sources and find out what you need.
  • tania2287
    tania2287 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem. When I was eating more, I was at a plateau. Then I began cross checking it with other data. I checked Health Canada to see what I should be eating for someone my age and my activity level. The recommendation was 1650 calories, which is where the automated MFP had set me at. But at 204 lbs, I needed to lose, not maintain.

Health Canada: http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/fn-an/food-guide-aliment/basics-base/1_1_1-eng.php

So I went on line, and found a few websites that recommended that I eat 1200 calories. So I re-set MFP at 1250, and if I stick to eating between 1200 and 1300, I lose. And to lose, I NEED to exercise, but not eat back the calories.

I figure that eating at a 400 calorie deficit, and losing slowly is what I need to do. I eat healthy, whole foods all cooked from scratch and not empty calories, so that I am not hungry. This is unlike WW where I was hungry all the time, lost 30 pounds, and was so ravenous when I reached goal that I gained everything back at the rate of 2 lbs per month.

So, the lesson from all this, is what works if you are a 62 year old mainly sedentary senior is probably not suited for a super-active working mom of 30. So, check out different sources and find out what you need.

Thanks l totally agree with you.

What works for someone young does not work for someone at my age...
  • tania2287
    Options
    http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/fn-an/food-guide-aliment/basics-base/1_1_1-eng.php

Age Sedentary1
    Level Low Active2
    Level Active3
    Level
    2-3 y 1100 1250 1400
    4-5 y 1200 1350 1500
    6-7 y 1300 1500 1700
    8-9 y 1400 1600 1850
    10-11 y 1500 1800 2050
    12-13 y 1700 2000 2250
    14-16 y 1750 2100 2350
    17-18 y 1750 2100 2400
    19-30 y 1900 2100 2350
    31-50 y 1800 2000 2250
    51-70 y 1650 1850 2100
    71 y + 1550 1750 2000
  • tania2287
    Options
    Shes killing herself!
    The human body can only lose so much fat in any given day/week/month etc....

Reasons why you havent lost weight....

1) hormones!
    Leptin, ghrelin, cortisol, testosterone......
    Everything is screwed up.
    If you are depressed cortisol could be running rampant.

2) overtraining and inflammation.
    You work out too hard so your body is trying very hard to repair itself before you workout again.
    It isnt getting the nutrients it needs so on a hormonal level it starts trying to slow you down.
    cortisol goes up...lean mass is used as fuel etc...

3) You dont eat enough to lose the proper weight.
    The body is maintaining fat mass while burning little amounts of lean mass for fuel.
    This is where you start seeing that "Skinny-Fat"
    Youll look good in clothing but pretty bad naked.

Proper dieting is 70% diet, 20% sleep and 10% workout.
    So eat, sleep and workout.
    In that order.

Or

Dont!

And be sure not to complain about the skinny fat look later.

If you need help on this subject check the link on my profile.
    Its public.

I am not sure what you are on, but l am not killing myself.

I have been to Jenny Craig and they had me on 1200 calories a day with 1 hour of exercise..

Doing the same as if l was still with Jenny Craig

I am fit and very health by all blood test done and a full check up with my doctor..
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    969638-cool_story__bro_super.jpg
  • mixedfeelings
    mixedfeelings Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I ate under calories for years, first two I lost weight, the next five I gained over 100lbs. So you will enjoy weight loss for a couple of years but be warned your body might not be able to handle it in the long term. You won't get enough nutrients your body will start to fail, I'm saying this out of experience rather than just coming on to be mean. I started eating more as of the end of January, it's taken a couple of months for my body to start to adjust, then it starts to come off slowly, now it's coming off quicker. You know it all depends, you say you are eating more but are you filling it up with junk or is it all healthy foods. Are you going over in other areas like carbs, fat, sodium?
  • psuLemon
    Options

Stephanie"

1400 * 1.2 + 300 = 1980

=1980 * .8 = 1584

Lemon

But on 1600 calories a day with 300 30ds every day the net will only be 1300 cals. This is below the bmr suggested of 1400. This is not good advice.

You gotta look at the whole picture. I have figured the calorie deficit in the week. She should be eating that much every day, even on days she doesn't' work out. And trust me, I have done this with so many people on this board, and I have set them all u to maintain lean muscle mass.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Shes killing herself!
    The human body can only lose so much fat in any given day/week/month etc....

Reasons why you havent lost weight....

1) hormones!
    Leptin, ghrelin, cortisol, testosterone......
    Everything is screwed up.
    If you are depressed cortisol could be running rampant.

2) overtraining and inflammation.
    You work out too hard so your body is trying very hard to repair itself before you workout again.
    It isnt getting the nutrients it needs so on a hormonal level it starts trying to slow you down.
    cortisol goes up...lean mass is used as fuel etc...

3) You dont eat enough to lose the proper weight.
    The body is maintaining fat mass while burning little amounts of lean mass for fuel.
    This is where you start seeing that "Skinny-Fat"
    Youll look good in clothing but pretty bad naked.

Proper dieting is 70% diet, 20% sleep and 10% workout.
    So eat, sleep and workout.
    In that order.

Or

Dont!

And be sure not to complain about the skinny fat look later.

If you need help on this subject check the link on my profile.
    Its public.

I am not sure what you are on, but l am not killing myself.

I have been to Jenny Craig and they had me on 1200 calories a day with 1 hour of exercise..

Doing the same as if l was still with Jenny Craig

I am fit and very health by all blood test done and a full check up with my doctor..

Good luck!
    Why post a topic if you are doing it right?

How long have you been dieting and how much weight have you lost?
    Whats your body fat%?
    Do you know what your TDEE is?
    How tall are you and how old?

All of these things effect weight loss.
    If you eat below BMR at some point your body will stall in weight loss and start maintaining fat for energy.
    Sure you will lose weight, but it wont be the right type of weight to lose.
    20-50% of it will be lean mass and that only lowers the BMR, increases cortisol, decreases leptin and created a relationship with your body that maintains fat for storage.
    Do what you like but in my opinion, and i'm not a professional, I think you are making your diet last longer.
    Why lose all that lean mass so youll have to gain it back later?
    To see the dial on the scale move???

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/538381-in-place-of-a-road-map

Read this to understand what i'm talking about and understand that i'm not trying to attack you but.......

bush_doing_it_wrong_1.jpg

To lose proper weight you first need to fuel your Basal Metabolic needs.
    Thats BMR.
    If you get out of bed to do anything at all, youll need to eat more.

You need to sleep. <---You have this covered! YAY!

You should work out between 3-5 times a week for about an hour each session.
    Anything more and youll have issues with hormones etc.....
    You can only burn so much fat in a day.
  • LizKurz
    LizKurz Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I agree with you!!! I was told the same thing because I range anywhere from 1000-1200 a day and I am losing about 1-2 pounds a week. When I eat more I don't do so well. Everyone is different and I'm not going to force myself to eat just to get over 1200 calories. That's crazy to me. Your body has a way of telling you to eat hungry so if your not feeling it don't do it.

Thanks for that l agree..I do eat every 2-3 hours throughout the day so l am keeping my body in fuel so that l do not burn out and l am very fit and on the go all day long with 3 kids and work to keep me busy and l am very happy eating around 1200 or least.

I am not going to eat the calories that l am burning l find that not right, why burn calories if you are only going to eat them back?

Omg, I lolzed so hard at this? It's like asking "why does 2+2= 4? I want it to equal 2, so i say it does"

Why eat them back? Uhm.....because your body needs fuel. And you can go for a while, and not eat enough, and slowly starve yourself. It's how anorexia works. But if you ever get to goal weight, and try eatingnormal again? Beware, you will gain back weight. Period. And then who knows how long it will take your metabolism to get back to normal?

I swear, I just joined this site, this week but, the first time I lost weight, 102 lbs matter of fact, I used self.coms website, which they no longer have. I've also used spark people, but felt it wasn't very user friendly. I'm not sure what it is about this site, but in reading the forums the last few days, I've never seen such a preponderance of bad science in my life, and I have never seen so many people so angry and pissed off that they have to " eat ZOMG!"

In the end only you can take care of your body and if you don't want to, well that seems counterintuitive to me, why not just stay overweight? But how about keeping the "disbelief of science" to yourself?
  • MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    same story here as the poster who said she did lose on lower but then gained back. really, it's a better idea to gain a little weight as your body adjusts to a maintenance level and then cut calories a little then to drastically cut and risk more damage. i know from personal experience that i gain a few lbs in the month or 2 after i increase calories but then it starts to even out again if you give it time. your body is trying to survive and thinks it is only going to get 1200 calories a day, of course your metabolism will slow down and it will take a long time to get it back up. feast or famine, our bodies do what is best for us. when in a famine state, it converves. when in a "feast" state for more than a few months, it starts to get rid of/let go of some stuff because it knows it will get to eat... when i say "feast" i dont mean 3000 calories, i mean somethign sustainable like 1600-2200...
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    MJ and PSU all do the high calorie diets btw...just saying.
  • LizKurz
    LizKurz Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    My BMR is 2300 a day with a 500 calorie deficit to lose a pound a week, I exercise 6 days a week with 1 day off... I am a Firm believer in fueling my body to fuel my workouts, that being said on workout days I eat 3200 calories a day (I burn no less than 1000 calories a workout per my Polar FT60) which is 900 calories over my daily BMR (I eat back 85-90% of my exercise calories) and in the process have lost 305 lbs. and went from 560 lbs. to 255 lbs. as of Wednesday... You have to fuel your body if your going to push it that hard... Good luck to you......

Jesus tapdancing Christ. AWESOME! WTG! All advice you give to the side, what an awesome job you've done losing 305 lbs!
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/fn-an/food-guide-aliment/basics-base/1_1_1-eng.php

Age Sedentary1
    Level Low Active2
    Level Active3
    Level
    2-3 y 1100 1250 1400
    4-5 y 1200 1350 1500
    6-7 y 1300 1500 1700
    8-9 y 1400 1600 1850
    10-11 y 1500 1800 2050
    12-13 y 1700 2000 2250
    14-16 y 1750 2100 2350
    17-18 y 1750 2100 2400
    19-30 y 1900 2100 2350
    31-50 y 1800 2000 2250
    51-70 y 1650 1850 2100
    71 y + 1550 1750 2000
    You just contradicted your own belief by posting that. If you're in your 40s, that says you should be eating 2250 calories a day if your active to maintain your weight...and by active they are saying 2-3 hrs a WEEK but you're doing that each day.

Take 500-600 off each day for a 1 lb/wk loss and that puts you in the 1650-1750 range for calorie intake...and you're not even close to that.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    You just contradicted your own belief by posting that. If you're in your 40s, that says you should be eating 2250 calories a day if your active to maintain your weight...and by active they are saying 2-3 hrs a WEEK but you're doing that each day.

Take 500-600 off each day for a 1 lb/wk loss and that puts you in the 1650-1750 range for calorie intake...and you're not even close to that.

The logic ... it burrrns!
  • tjdimplez
    tjdimplez Posts: 11
    Options
    Exactly!