Tried to eat more it does not work

Replies

• NotGoddess
    NotGoddess Posts: 1,198 Member
    Bump for later.
  • Twisted_Wrister
    Twisted_Wrister Posts: 758 Member
    these posts make me roll my eyes, and facepalm...

Agreed.

::flipdesk::
  • trysha1231
    trysha1231 Posts: 163 Member
    I've just checked your diary - I'm not sure why you think you are eating more.

Some days you aren't even netting 500 calories.

Go to reports, nutrition, net calories - it's the net calories that should be over 1200, you are way under.

This^^ . You're eating too little so your body may be storing fat.

How can it store fat when she will be using that for energy to compensate for her deficit?
    Because her body will attack her lean muscle mass...

When you restrict food intake your body turns to your lean muscle instead for fuel, protecting your fat stores.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,422 MFP Moderator
    I find your responses funny. My doctor is both a nutritionist and a MD. She has a bachelor in nutrition and worked as a fitness trainer and went back to med school after her first daughter was born to become a doctor and own her own weightloss clinic. SO before you go and posting about things you are not clued in on, ask first. Just a suggestion.

I am also educated in nurtition and science. I do think that it depends on where you get your information from whether or not it is correct. I hold a bachelor in animal science and hold a teaching certificate in science. I understand that I must research my topics and doctors. I HAVE researched them and she is very well credited in her area of specialty. My point was on how you state your position (most were rude and mean) and that if you are NOT in a specialty to not pass out your opinion because some people will bite and it may actually hurt their health.

ALSO if you are passing out these advices but not considering all the health of that person, like diabetes, high blood pressure, thyroid disease, cardio disease, immune disorder and liver function, then you should really not tell people what they should be doing. IT may effect their health. I just stated what my doctor told ME to do. The human body has other factors that play into how it works. Hormones are a big piece of that puzzle and everyones body makes these hormones on different levels and therefore will always have different results.

I am not argueing or debating with anyone. My heart just hurt for this woman who asked for simple help when people were just flat out rude or mean. So I hope she figures out what works and is successful in her journey. May the weight fall off and you find your true happiness.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19943985

How bout the NIH? Do that count as a reputal source for meal timing?

OP, lets try to put some stuff in perspective and try to be as unbias as possible. It's obvious things aren't working for you. I say this for a few simple reasons. First, if it was working, then why would you have increased your calories in the first place? And I believe Einstein said the definition of insanity is " doing the same experiement over and over and expecting different results". So going back to your old ways will cause an issue right?

Now, there are a few main factors you have to consider when looking for weight loss, or more importanly, fat loss. The two main variables are a BMR and your TDEE. Your BMR is aka as your metabolic rate. This is the amount of calories your body requires to run the systems (organs, brain, etc...) and your TDEE is the amount of calories your body burns throughout a day, including exercise. Now for all those who are "older" and say I have a slower metabolic rate, there is a reason for it. As people age, your body has a harder time holding onto lean muscle mass. Is that a problem? Not soo much. This just means your starting point to measure TDEE is lower than your 20 year old twin. I know we all want to say we are special and different but we aren't (see first link for more information).

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/you-are-not-different.html

Ok, so now we established that you have two major variables, we have to evaluate your caloric needs (aka - calories to burn fat, maintain lean muscle mass and run all the systems). To understand, I will do some estimates based on real life people I have worked with. One of the people I am working with used to eat 1400 calories and did a ton of cardio. She plateau'd around 145 lbs for months. She is 36 years old and came to me after seeing some post of mine (as you can tell with my followers). And here is her response

"I just wanted to thank you for your help. You helped me a few months back and I just wanted to give you an update on my progress. 12 weeks ago I started at 154 and 28% bf. I got my bf remeasured last Friday and it was 24%. But I only lost 1 pound. It is crazy to me but I have learned to ignore the scale. You were right that keeping consistent and not giving up my body would finally adjust.

Thanks again for your help!

Stephanie"

BTW, her routine is ONLY weight lifting. Zero cardio. And she was eating 2100 calories on workout days and 1800 calories on non workout days.

It's a simple known fact, that your body needs calories to burn. Calories = fuel. So what happens when you don't eat enough calories? You put a lot of stress on your body and your body fights back (see second link)

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/why-big-caloric-deficits-and-lots-of-activity-can-hurt-fat-loss.html

So for all those number geeks, lets look at an example. Lets say your BMR is 1400 calories and you do 30DS (where you burn 300 calories a day) and you live a sedentary lifestyle. That means your caloric needs are:

1400 * 1.2 + 300 = 1980

From there we can form a deficit

i use a 20% deficit as the bigger you are, the large the deficit you can sustain and this will help preserve muscle mass

=1980 * .8 = 1584

This means, your nutritional needs are 1600 calories a day. Now eating below this doesn't mean you will lose faster. The math says it will, but the body can contradict the math as proven by those on VLCD that are already in a healthier weight limit and those who hit weight loss plateaus.

Lets start here and discuss. I could rant for longer but I will reframe.

Lemon
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Holy good info... ^^^^ all of that!
  • RachelVon
    RachelVon Posts: 66 Member
    Today you netted 23 calories.

No wonder you aren't losing weight.
  • Allegi32
    Allegi32 Posts: 302 Member
    t9jvys.jpg
  • ihateroses
    ihateroses Posts: 893 Member
    Oooo more light reading!
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    maybe l have put on muscle?

Eating at what is basically a slow starvation level? No.
  • watboy
    watboy Posts: 380 Member
    Good idea. Many people find that out on here.
    I was eating more food as everyone was telling me to do so. But l have not loss any weight in the last 3 weeks by eating more. So now l am going back to eating under 1200 cals a day as l was losing the weight then without any problems.

I think you do really need to listen to your body and that will let you know if you need more fuel or not.
  • coconutbuNZ
    coconutbuNZ Posts: 578 Member
    You are absolutely right!
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    thheaddesk2.gif
  • clairerose11
    clairerose11 Posts: 95 Member
    thheaddesk2.gif

Lol... I cannot believe this thread is still here *sigh*
  • agentscully514
    agentscully514 Posts: 616 Member
    probably not much longer, I'd think
  • ksloop00
    ksloop00 Posts: 144
    OMG! Some of you were really mean in these post. I teach 13 year old and they had more manners. That is so not cool. That being said, are any of you on here posting (and demand you are right) a doctor??? Just curious... I do see a doctor to follow my weightloss and she told me NOT NOT NOT to eat the workout calories. So I am wondering why she would tell me that. I even printed out the last round of arguements on here and took them to her and asked her what I should do. She again told me not to eat over the calories and to eat every 2 hours. She said that it will burn the fat and my metabolism will be fine as long as I eat something (an apple, peanut butter toast etc) every two hours. So unless one of you are a doctor (not a nurse but a doctor) then maybe we should not pass out advice until we have spoken to our own doctor. Then maybe we could all be a little nicer. WE are here for support and understanding not to be harassed or hurt.

I agree! I see a doctor and a dietician. They both tell me NOT to eat my calories back. I am confined to a wheelchair so I am on a strict low cal diet to lose weight. These people on here sound immature!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,422 MFP Moderator
    OMG! Some of you were really mean in these post. I teach 13 year old and they had more manners. That is so not cool. That being said, are any of you on here posting (and demand you are right) a doctor??? Just curious... I do see a doctor to follow my weightloss and she told me NOT NOT NOT to eat the workout calories. So I am wondering why she would tell me that. I even printed out the last round of arguements on here and took them to her and asked her what I should do. She again told me not to eat over the calories and to eat every 2 hours. She said that it will burn the fat and my metabolism will be fine as long as I eat something (an apple, peanut butter toast etc) every two hours. So unless one of you are a doctor (not a nurse but a doctor) then maybe we should not pass out advice until we have spoken to our own doctor. Then maybe we could all be a little nicer. WE are here for support and understanding not to be harassed or hurt.

I agree! I see a doctor and a dietician. They both tell me NOT to eat my calories back. I am confined to a wheelchair so I am on a strict low cal diet to lose weight. These people on here sound immature!

Doctors and dieticians that know what they are doing include exercise into your tdee. This is why you dont eat it back.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    I was eating more food as everyone was telling me to do so. But l have not loss any weight in the last 3 weeks by eating more. So now l am going back to eating under 1200 cals a day as l was losing the weight then without any problems.

I think you do really need to listen to your body and that will let you know if you need more fuel or not.

The more important question was, if you were having success with one strategy, why would you change?

I'm not advocating anyone doing anything unhealthy, but why would you change what you were doing if you were 'losing the weight then without any problems'?
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    What worries me here is risk of deficiencies. It's not all about calories and losing fat that's a concern here. If you eat so little, how is your body getting enough micro nutrients? Here's an interesting page on symptoms that deficiencies can cause:
    http://www.something-fishy.org/dangers/vitamins.php
    Dry hair, soft bones, increased susceptibility to cancer...just gets worse and worse
  • tania2287
    tania2287 Posts: 236 Member
    I think you guys need to relax a little, I have looked at her diary too. I think her exercise is wayyy over rated so I don't think she is "starving herself" per say...

Example. last Sunday, she put in her exercise diary she did 30 day shred 3x, she may have hit enter 3x because of internet connection etc, but I highly doubt she did it 3x in one day....

Before you make judgement calls on someone's diary, actually look at the dang thing... and don't just take "1067 calories burned" for face value..... a little sugar goes WAYYYYYYYYY further than vinegar...

OP: did you actually do the Jillian Michaels workout 3 times on Sunday ?

Yes l do it 3x's a day everyday thanks....plus l do walking a lot everyday as l do not own a car so if l need to go anywhere l have to walk..
  • tania2287
    tania2287 Posts: 236 Member
    I have been doing jenny craig and l did lose 20lbs with jenny craig but l cannot afford it now and l was on 1200 calories a day and doing at least 2-3 hours of exercise a day.