Has anyone gone on a Juice Fast?

Options

Replies

• chachadiva150
    chachadiva150 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I generally support sporadic, planned, short term fasts. I don't believe any of the talk about "toxins."
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options

Just because you didn't keep the weight off, doesn't mean that a juice fast isn't a good way to detox ......

Specifically what toxins are you trying to remove from your body? Isn't that why we have a liver & kidneys?

^ This is the winning question. Unless you're doing this for spiritual reasons, I think it's silly (I don't juice fast for spiritual reasons but as of now it's the only reason I can think of that's remotely legitimate). You're not accomplishing anything related to toxins and any weight loss that you're inducing is due to creating a large deficit. You could do this with real food.

Darn straight! Our bodies "detox" themselves. They don't need us to do it for them.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,522 Member
    Options
    Dieting, detoxing, etc. with juice fasting is still a fad way to "get healthy" and "lose weight". Fads don't work. Buck up. Lose weight by calorie deficit and exercise.

A.C.E. Certified Personal & Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I am losing weight right now by my calorie deficit and exercise!
    I am not looking for a fast and unhealthy way to lose more weight, I am done with FAD DIETS! They do not work, you lose the weight and usually gain it back and then some once it is over. I am looking into juicing as a healthy way to cleanse your body and was hoping to find others out there whom have done it so that they could share their experience, but thanks for your comment.
    You did see the comment I made on "detoxing" in the post? Your body cleanses itself. If you're juicing because it's easier for you to drink your fruit than eat it, then that would be a legitimate reason for doing it.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Not only that but you have to supplement your diet with fiber because you will not get an adequate amount of fiber from the juice.

Do your research before you jump on the "Juice Fast Wagon". I personally prefer to eat my foods.

I posted this topic to hear from people who have knowlege towards this subject matter.

Fiber was a concern of mine as well. I am also concerned about no protein. I thought protein was very important for your body.
    Protein is a daily ESSENTIAL. Not enough of it is NOT good for your body.

IDEA Fitness member
  • SwimTheButterfly
    SwimTheButterfly Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    IMHO, I hink juice fasting is bad for you. I will not fast. Fasting early in my life started me on this cycle of not eating for three days and then going on binges because I was starving. Just sayin'
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Dieting, detoxing, etc. with juice fasting is still a fad way to "get healthy" and "lose weight". Fads don't work. Buck up. Lose weight by calorie deficit and exercise.

IDEA Fitness member
    Yeah, fasting has been a fad, for, oh, 4000 years or so..... Fads don't work after all. Calorie in Calorie out is a pretty big fad too, yet people seem to love it still.
    "Juice Fasting" has been around for about 30 years. I'm more than sure that juicers weren't around 4000 years ago.

And I do believe fasting is legitimate since I do intermittent fasting. I just don't believe (nor have found any scientific evidence to support it) that juice fasting does anything more than severely cut calories.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I have high cholesterol and I am hoping this will help me bring my levels down. I want to be medicine free; I hear taking Lipitor long term is not a good thing!

Thanks for sharing!
    Eating less saturated fat is the usual advice then.

IDEA Fitness member
  • christschild2
    christschild2 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I have not attempted a juice fast, but find that if you juice one of your meals a day and eat fresh produce, then it could be OK. If you just want to detox, cutting out meats, salt, sugar, etc. will work. I have fasted for religious purposes and really didn't have any problems with it. It's how you come out of the fast that matters. My fast is water only though. I do it for consecration and humility.
  • tmpetrie01
    tmpetrie01 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    how do u like your ninja? pros cons? thinking of buying one!
  • Americanyogini
    Options
    Its a refeshing way to re-synch your body mind connection. And maintain health and weight.
    There are juice cleanse retreats that make it easier or juice cleanses that can be ordered and delivered to make it easy to do at home. I made some of Joe Crosses juices during the filming of Fat Sick...
  • bijagirl
    bijagirl Posts: 1
    Options
    I think that whole smoothies with the raw fibers are so much healthier for long term use. And if you are going to do a cleanse, you really need one that hits all of the areas of cleaning you out internally. Mitochondria are the part of your cells responsible for utilizing energy. Their actions are connected to all your metabolic functions. Hence, it is very important to keep them in optimum condition. As your body becomes exposed to toxins, pollutants and chemicals, free radicals emerge, damaging your cells and disrupting your mitochondrion’s operations.

If this disruption continues, damage to the mitochondria can lead to:

Insulin resistance
    Decreased threshold for exercise
    Inability to utilize carbs and fats for energy production
    Accelerated aging process

I recommend a natural cleanse with the changing seasons throughout the year to reduce the toxins, Even if you are eating well, you are exposed to toxins, and that actually causes inflammation because you body stores more fat, to have more storage space for the increased toxins. Excess fat is known to be associated with disease, but now, researchers have confirmed that fat cells inside the abdomen are secreting molecules that increase inflammation. It’s the first evidence of a potential mechanistic link between abdominal fat and systemic inflammation. http://youtu.be/1ajOe8TgQEM
  • Millefleur
    Millefleur Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I did the '7lbs in 7 days' juice diet last year and while I'm loathe to recommend something drastic it did just what I wanted - gave me a kick up the bum. I lost 7lbs in that week, it set me on a healthy eating track, got me eating more veg than usual and I didn't gain the weight back til well over 6 months later when life went *kitten* over t*t and I lost control of myself. I'm eating healthily now and the weight is coming back off, and while I wouldn't bother doing 7 days again I plan on digging the book out for the recipes so I can up my fruit/veg intake alongside 'proper' food in my diet.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Its a refeshing way to re-synch your body mind connection. And maintain health and weight.
    There are juice cleanse retreats that make it easier or juice cleanses that can be ordered and delivered to make it easy to do at home. I made some of Joe Crosses juices during the filming of Fat Sick...
    SPAM. Eat it, don't post it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
  • TinnedTuna
    TinnedTuna Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I was inspired from the Fat Sick & Nearly Dead film as well.
    I'm doing a vegetable Juice fast right now, I'm on day 10 and i plan to continue to the end of the month if not 2 months.
    I juice mainly green veg and drink about 6 glasses a day but i have a fruit one to start the day.
    it was hard for the first 4 days then became very easy,
    I've not eaten anything at all and not a bit hungry.
    It's great and i feel so much better in myself and it's also a good boost for the weight loss as well.
    no down side os far as i can see. It's going to change the way i eat forever and of corse if i stuffed my face when i've finished i would put the weight back on but it kind of educates you about the food you eat and i think it's 100% good.
    As for "it's a film to make you buy from them" Books and all the marketing.
    I say thats bull sh**, it's not cost me a penny, all is available free from them on the internet so as a money maker i think your wrong.
  • acerealtor
    Options
    30 day juice fast and the best part of the fast was resetting my food impulses, dropping cafeine, and getting tons more green vegetables in my system.I did lose 15 pounds on the fast and went on to lose 25 more. the juice fast is really more of a reboot...getting your systemcand your cravings in line so you want healthy foods... when you stray and go to pizza land it's attest way to get back on track.pp
  • acerealtor
    Options
    fasting is realty about diverting energy that is normally used for digestion and directing that energy towards working on repair of your body.
  • lulabelle541
    Options
    Okay, I am sitting here reading all of these posts and I just have to put my two cents in. I did a 21 day juice fast and I lost 50lbs. I gained 10 back (refilling my bowel + a couple of lbs of fat) and that was 6 MONTHS AGO! You can definitely lose weight and keep it off with a juice fast. The question of what toxins are being released has come up and there have been some snobby replies, so let me tell you exactly what you are doing on a juice fast...
    You juice raw fruits and vegetables which takes the micro nutrient juices out of the fruits and veggies. When you drink the juice you are streamlining your body with fresh, quality nutrients from 100% raw and natural sources. You let your bowel have a rest from digestion and it will clean itself out of all of the waste that has been clinging to the walls of your bowel and colon. In the meantime, your body if flushing out toxins! Yes, it does happen through the liver and kidneys but you also clean out every single cell in your body. When you eat processed food, it is exactly that: processed. Preservatives and chemicals are added to the convenience foods that we eat every day to make them last longer when they are sitting on your shelf at the store or in your home. These chemicals and preservatives are absorbed into our bodies with the "nutrients" from the processed food that we eat and in turn, they are absorbed into the cells of our bodies. When you are juice fasting the pure, un-treated, natural nutrients gets absorbed into your cells and it cleanses them of the toxins and chemicals that they have been storing. It still processes out through the liver and kidneys and if you do a long enough fast (recommended 60 days) you give your body a chance to not only clean out it's cells, but to rewire your taste buds and eating habits. You will no longer crave a double cheeseburger and fries, instead you will want a spinach salad and maybe an orange for dessert! Yes, it is hard at first, but that is because you have been stuffing your body full of addicting junk for years, and it is going to protest.
    You will get headaches, feel fatigued and have hunger pangs for 3-7 days, but you will not fell weak, light headed, shaky, have blurred vision or any other of the TRUE symptoms of hunger because your body is still receiving all of the nutrition that it needs! If you don't believe me, then just think logically about how it is that our ancestors survived without processed foods (they still preserved meats with dehydration and salt) : they ate fruits and vegetables foraged from the earth. It is healthy, natural, and it makes you feel like a million bucks. You get a steady flow of energy, happiness and an honest sense of well being because you body is balanced and functioning the way that it should be.
    I gained a lot of weight with my pregnancy and I am still working on losing the rest of it, as a matter of fact I am on another juice fast right now and I feel FANTASTIC.
  • 150lbsOrBust
    Options
    Thank you Lulabelle541! I was reading this post and feeling precisely how you were and was about to post something very similar but now I don't need to. Suffice it to say I am on day 37 of a 60 day juice fast. I too feel AMAZING! I am going to keep going and I can already see that my cravings have changed dramatically. I know I will NEVER go back to eating how I have been even when I am done with my fast. I was basically the walking dead and now I feel so alive! I LOVE it!
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Okay, I am sitting here reading all of these posts and I just have to put my two cents in. I did a 21 day juice fast and I lost 50lbs. I gained 10 back (refilling my bowel + a couple of lbs of fat) and that was 6 MONTHS AGO! You can definitely lose weight and keep it off with a juice fast. The question of what toxins are being released has come up and there have been some snobby replies, so let me tell you exactly what you are doing on a juice fast...
    You juice raw fruits and vegetables which takes the micro nutrient juices out of the fruits and veggies. When you drink the juice you are streamlining your body with fresh, quality nutrients from 100% raw and natural sources. You let your bowel have a rest from digestion and it will clean itself out of all of the waste that has been clinging to the walls of your bowel and colon. In the meantime, your body if flushing out toxins! Yes, it does happen through the liver and kidneys but you also clean out every single cell in your body. When you eat processed food, it is exactly that: processed. Preservatives and chemicals are added to the convenience foods that we eat every day to make them last longer when they are sitting on your shelf at the store or in your home. These chemicals and preservatives are absorbed into our bodies with the "nutrients" from the processed food that we eat and in turn, they are absorbed into the cells of our bodies. When you are juice fasting the pure, un-treated, natural nutrients gets absorbed into your cells and it cleanses them of the toxins and chemicals that they have been storing. It still processes out through the liver and kidneys and if you do a long enough fast (recommended 60 days) you give your body a chance to not only clean out it's cells, but to rewire your taste buds and eating habits. You will no longer crave a double cheeseburger and fries, instead you will want a spinach salad and maybe an orange for dessert! Yes, it is hard at first, but that is because you have been stuffing your body full of addicting junk for years, and it is going to protest.
    You will get headaches, feel fatigued and have hunger pangs for 3-7 days, but you will not fell weak, light headed, shaky, have blurred vision or any other of the TRUE symptoms of hunger because your body is still receiving all of the nutrition that it needs! If you don't believe me, then just think logically about how it is that our ancestors survived without processed foods (they still preserved meats with dehydration and salt) : they ate fruits and vegetables foraged from the earth. It is healthy, natural, and it makes you feel like a million bucks. You get a steady flow of energy, happiness and an honest sense of well being because you body is balanced and functioning the way that it should be.
    I gained a lot of weight with my pregnancy and I am still working on losing the rest of it, as a matter of fact I am on another juice fast right now and I feel FANTASTIC.
    What a load of unsubstantiated codswallop.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I believe our bodies need a break from ingesting & digesting whole foods.

Our bodies are designed to eat. It is the most basic survival function. We do not need a break from it anymore than we need a break from breathing.