What do you think is the biggest misconception about where y

Options
JPod279
JPod279 Posts: 722 Member
What is the biggest misconception about where you are from?

Being born and raised an Okie, a lot of people outside of here assume I am some ignorant, bible thumpin, gun tote'n, red neck and I just can't undersand where that comes from as I have never thumped a bible in my life. :bigsmile:

However, I don't worry about it because once most people come here they learn we are some of the nicest people around. Oh, and they also learn we don't all own horses and wear cowboy boots and hats.

Replies

• cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Try being from Fargo...do you have any idea how many wood chipper jokes I hear? And EVERYONE thinks i have the accent. *sighs*
  • RDalton84
    RDalton84 Posts: 207
    Options
    Most people think that all of Kanas is completely flat but actually Eastern Kansas (East of Wichita) is very hilly and beautiful because we are so close to the Ozarks. If you've never seen the Flint Hills in KS you are really missing out.
  • kateroot
    kateroot Posts: 435
    Options
    I'm from upstate New York. Way upstate. In the Adirondacks. It's absolutely the boondocks up here. Anytime I'm traveling and I tell someone I'm from New York, I get, "What was it like to grow up in such a big city?" Or, "wow, the big apple!" Or something along those lines. New York is a lot more than just New York City.
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    Most people think that all of Kanas is completely flat but actually Eastern Kansas (East of Wichita) is very hilly and beautiful because we are so close to the Ozarks. If you've never seen the Flint Hills in KS you are really missing out.

I go camping in North East Kansas at least once a year. It's beautiful. ALMOST as beautiful as Missouri.

I once had someone ask if I lived in a log cabin because I told them I was from Missouri.

And when I traveled to Wisconsin, my "southern drawl" got made fun of. When I went to Florida, my "fast-talkin' Northern accent" got made fun of.
  • MrsORourke
    MrsORourke Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Try being from Fargo...do you have any idea how many wood chipper jokes I hear? And EVERYONE thinks i have the accent. *sighs*

THIS!

You must be from Minnesota too, huh?
  • ckdub428
    ckdub428 Posts: 453 Member
    Options

Being born and raised an Okie, a lot of people outside of here assume I am some ignorant, bible thumpin, gun tote'n, red neck and I just can't undersand where that comes from as I have never thumped a bible in my life. :bigsmile:

However, I don't worry about it because once most people come here they learn we are some of the nicest people around. Oh, and they also learn we don't all own horses and wear cowboy boots and hats.

Fellow Okie here. Is that the RedHawks stadium in the background of your pic. We love to go to games there!!
  • MrsORourke
    MrsORourke Posts: 315 Member
    Options

THIS!

You must be from Minnesota too, huh?

Oh, duh...you said Fargo right in your post. D'oh!
  • crazytreelady
    crazytreelady Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Basically every stereotype Canadian's get, I've heard..... Especially the pronunciation of "about".
  • PrincessEliNa
    PrincessEliNa Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    haha, I'm from UTAH... Peeps think everyone has a huge family here (but in my family there's only me and my brother...)
  • MrsB123111
    MrsB123111 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Them: "Where are you from?"
    Me: "Kansas City"
    Them: "Oh, Kansas! Where's Toto, Dorothy??!!"

#1. I'm from Kansas City, MISSOURI. #2. No, I don't live on a farm, own cattle, or have ever been swooped up by a tornado...
  • rsdgirl
    rsdgirl Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I'm from upstate New York. Way upstate. In the Adirondacks. It's absolutely the boondocks up here. Anytime I'm traveling and I tell someone I'm from New York, I get, "What was it like to grow up in such a big city?" Or, "wow, the big apple!" Or something along those lines. New York is a lot more than just New York City.

i went on vacation to the Adirondacks about a year and a half ago BEAUTIFUL and so way fun. however i do not know if i could live there. it was such an awesome vaction place probably in my top 3 :)
  • stuffsdb
    stuffsdb Posts: 165
    Options
    That our state is completely flat and is nothing but a bunch of cornfields. (I'm from Nebraska)
  • kimber0607
    kimber0607 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Im from Jersey..enough said..dont get me started..LOL
  • JPod279
    JPod279 Posts: 722 Member
    Options

Fellow Okie here. Is that the RedHawks stadium in the background of your pic. We love to go to games there!!

Yup, that is the Redhawks stadium, errr Newcastle Field, errr, Chickasaw Stadium, you get the point. :bigsmile:

I play in the game each year when Mark Harmon comes to town with a bunch of celebs to raise money for charity. It is June 2 this year. Come support a good cause.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    GCB

Enough said.
  • w_i_n_d_y
    w_i_n_d_y Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Fairfield County, CT.....that we are all rich and drive fancy cars.

Well I did see an awesome Maybach 62 when I was driving my Hyundai down the backroads near Paul Newman's house....
  • Seokie
    Seokie Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I'm from New Jersey :(

The 'guido' type is def a minority here and yet the stereotype persists.... I hate when I go traveling and people find out I'm from NJ. That show has given the whole state a bad rep :(
  • tananichelle
    tananichelle Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I'm from the South (North Carolina), and people assume the exact same thing about me. :happy:
  • Buckeyt
    Buckeyt Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Being from Chicago most people comment on Al Capone.

Come on, that was 90 years ago, we're all about corrupt politicians now people.

Tim
  • liquidjem
    liquidjem Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I'm originally from West (by God) Virginia...DO you know how much S&%T I have taken?? First of all...its a completely different state from Virginia...Ever go to school and learn there are 50 not 49 states?? Oh yeah, and I don't love my brothers...or cousins, or anyone else related to me in that way...I wear shoes and I have all of my teeth. And no, I don't live in a trailer with a still out back...UGGH! I love my state!! Please don't knock it!