Options

Replies

• mrswinstead
    Options
    Interesting post!!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    bumping for later because all of this is like a new language to me and now i'm interested.. How do you get your numbers calculated for you?

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/

Use this to calculate your BMR and then post that, along with your daily lifestyle/job and your exercise routine. I will run the numbers. Or you can look at the options on the website I provided as well.
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I seems my 1380 plus fitbit cals is approximately 1600-1700 a day anyway. Strange, huh?
  • paj315
    paj315 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    FYI--you CAN log your exercise as "0" calories, instead of 1...if you're as nit-picky as I am and don't want MFP adding back ANY calories. LOL!

No you can't. It won't accept 0.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I seems my 1380 plus fitbit cals is approximately 1600-1700 a day anyway. Strange, huh?

What does your fitbit say for your TDEE?
  • Smuterella
    Options
    2050 or so daily expenditure
  • Smuterella
    Options
    OK, so you recommend I eat 1650 regardless of exercise. This is roughly the same as the 1380 net plus exercise calories (I usually average around 250-300) that I am currently eating and nothing is happening.

Psulemon, I'd be really grateful for some in depth advice over PM if you have the time?
  • psuLemon
    Options
    OK, so you recommend I eat 1650 regardless of exercise. This is roughly the same as the 1380 net plus exercise calories (I usually average around 250-300) that I am currently eating and nothing is happening.

Psulemon, I'd be really grateful for some in depth advice over PM if you have the time?

Yea feel free to pm me.
  • Smuterella
    Options

Yea feel free to pm me.

thank you - I have done. :-)
  • kirstyg1980
    kirstyg1980 Posts: 302
    Options
    bumping for later because all of this is like a new language to me and now i'm interested.. How do you get your numbers calculated for you?

Use this to calculate your BMR and then post that, along with your daily lifestyle/job and your exercise routine. I will run the numbers. Or you can look at the options on the website I provided as well.

I've done the calculations and kind of confused myself

My BMR is 1479

I work as a secretary, so job is sedentary but I work out up to 5 days a week doing body pump x3 and spin classes

I worked out I can either eat 1871 and eat calories back

or

2416 and no calories to eat back through exercise

Is this right???

Thanks
  • kvissy
    kvissy Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Wait, what? This says I should be eating 2700 calories per day? That seems bonkers!

I am eating 2,000 and I am female, older and probably shorter than you (all meaning that my starting point is lower than yours) - plus I am not very active (weight training 3x per week with minimal cardio and a desk job) . I am losing weight at this goal.

What is the rate that you are losing?
  • shiseido_faerie
    shiseido_faerie Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Ok...so i've been looking at this and trying to figure it out, and I don't 100% get it so i'm just going to post here and hopefully someone could clarify (sorry, it's just not clicking and I don't want to screw it up.)

I input my numbers into that link, and this is what I got:

My current BMR is 1366
    When I read under the "How many calories should I eat" area it says 1561 as I have a desk job.

So (and this is where I feel stupid that it's not clicking), does that mean I should eat 1561 calories a day regardless of whether or not I exercise? Or...if I do exercise do I eat those calories back until i'm netting 1561?? I guess it's confusing to me because MFP says that 1580 is "maintenance" level for my current weight. Thanks so much to anyone who could clarify for me :)

I've tried 1200 - no loss
    I've tried 1320 - still no loss
    So i'd be curious to try this but I want to make sure i'm doing it right!
  • moodymarble
    moodymarble Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Ok..... so I ran my numbers on F2F. These are what came up:
    Body Fat % ~ 32.2%
    BMR ~ Katch-McArdle Formula ~ 1902
    TDEE ~ 2282.4
    43 yrs
    5'2"
    Goal weight approx 145 (for now)
    On the table below the calculations it said for lightly active I should be eating 1891 cals daily.

I work in health care so I'm on my feet for at least 6hrs a day. I do cardio workouts (bowflex treadclimber) at least 3 times a wk. I just bought a complete home gym (york 2600 mega)and will be setting it up as soon as I can.

Is the number of cals I'm consuming correct? Should it be less? More? Thanx in advance for any help you can give!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    Ok...so i've been looking at this and trying to figure it out, and I don't 100% get it so i'm just going to post here and hopefully someone could clarify (sorry, it's just not clicking and I don't want to screw it up.)

My current BMR is 1366
    When I read under the "How many calories should I eat" area it says 1561 as I have a desk job.

So (and this is where I feel stupid that it's not clicking), does that mean I should eat 1561 calories a day regardless of whether or not I exercise? Or...if I do exercise do I eat those calories back until i'm netting 1561?? I guess it's confusing to me because MFP says that 1580 is "maintenance" level for my current weight. Thanks so much to anyone who could clarify for me :)

Same question for me. I'm going to post my numbers and see if other people come up with what I did (I suck at math :P ).

Age - 41
    Gender - female
    Height - 5'2" or 62"
    CW - 272.2#
    Goal weight - 200# (if I input my ultimate GW, it tells me I'll starve, lol)
    BF% - 67.4
    EDIT - Looking to lose 1# a week.

Katch-McArdle BMR - 1244 with LBM of 89#

At this point, In Place of a Road Map post says, "Eat back so Net is 200 above BMR." This would be 1444 Net cals.

Then IPoaRm says, "Add 20% to suggested calories to get TDEE." Are the suggested cals from the Activity Level chart on Fat2FitRadio? If so, it gets confusing for me. I'm usually sedentary but I try to exercise (walking/weight lifting 5 times a week). If I chose sedentary and do the math, I get 2338.8 for my TDEE. Now if I choose Lightly Active, I get 2679.6.

So the big question is - do the calories given on the chart (1949 or 2233, depending on activity level) include what I burn for exercise? What I'm looking for is a flat rate of how much to eat daily (my Net) without exercise calories mucking it up.

Apologies for not getting it no matter how many times I read it. I've never been good at word problems. :P
  • psuLemon
    Options

I've done the calculations and kind of confused myself

My BMR is 1479

I work as a secretary, so job is sedentary but I work out up to 5 days a week doing body pump x3 and spin classes

I worked out I can either eat 1871 and eat calories back

or

2416 and no calories to eat back through exercise

Is this right???

Thanks

I would eat 1800 calories total and this includes exercise. If you don't lose weight after a month, then add 200 calories to it. And you eat that every day, even on rest days.
  • psuLemon
    Options

My current BMR is 1366

If you don't exercise than 1350 calories should work. If you DO exercise, then you need to eat more but how much are you working out?
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Body Fat % ~ 32.2%
    TDEE ~ 2282.4
    43 yrs
    5'2"
    On the table below the calculations it said for lightly active I should be eating 1891 cals daily.

I work in health care so I'm on my feet for at least 6hrs a day. I do cardio workouts (bowflex treadclimber) at least 3 times a wk. I just bought a complete home gym (york 2600 mega)and will be setting it up as soon as I can.

Is the number of cals I'm consuming correct? Should it be less? More? Thanx in advance for any help you can give!

you should include exercise in your TDEE so you aren't chasing exercise calories. With that said, you should be eating 2300 calories a day. Can you put your ratios at 40% carb, 40% protein and 20% fats. Also, do not eat back exercise calories and eat 2300 calories every day, even on non workout days.
  • psuLemon
    Options

My current BMR is 1366

Same question for me. I'm going to post my numbers and see if other people come up with what I did (I suck at math :P ).

Age - 41
    Gender - female
    Height - 5'2" or 62"
    CW - 272.2#
    BF% - 67.4

At this point, In Place of a Road Map post says, "Eat back so Net is 200 above BMR." This would be 1444 Net cals.

Then IPoaRm says, "Add 20% to suggested calories to get TDEE." Are the suggested cals from the Activity Level chart on Fat2FitRadio? If so, it gets confusing for me. I'm usually sedentary but I try to exercise (walking/weight lifting 5 times a week). If I chose sedentary and do the math, I get 2338.8 for my TDEE. Now if I choose Lightly Active, I get 2679.6.

So the big question is - do the calories given on the chart (1949 or 2233, depending on activity level) include what I burn for exercise? What I'm looking for is a flat rate of how much to eat daily (my Net) without exercise calories mucking it up.

Apologies for not getting it no matter how many times I read it. I've never been good at word problems. :P

What do you do for exercise?
  • moodymarble
    moodymarble Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Body Fat % ~ 32.2%
    TDEE ~ 2282.4
    43 yrs
    5'2"

you should include exercise in your TDEE so you aren't chasing exercise calories. With that said, you should be eating 2300 calories a day. Can you put your ratios at 40% carb, 40% protein and 20% fats. Also, do not eat back exercise calories and eat 2300 calories every day, even on non workout days.

Thanx for your help! I just made all the corrections to my goals. It says the projected loss will be .1lbs/wk? This hopefully is wrong, but at this point I'm willing to change anything . I'm getting so frustrated with lose 1 wk then gain the next!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options

My current BMR is 1366

Age - 41
    Gender - female
    Height - 5'2" or 62"
    CW - 272.2#
    BF% - 67.4

What do you do for exercise?
    I walk for 40-60 mins 3-5 times a week, depending on the weather. I do free weight lifting and resistance training twice a week. I give myself 2 days to rest up after the weight lifting.