What do you think is the biggest misconception about where y

Options

Replies

• TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    I'm from Central California, it's like everywhere and nowhere. I quite love it here.
    We have a whole thread on this topic.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/390475-california-myths-exposed
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Oh I got one... I was talking to this guy who stated he would never visit Texas because he was a gay Jew... He literally thought we lynched people that weren't white, straight, and Christian.... :huh:

He's obviously never seen "A-List: Dallas" lol
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I don't think there are a lot of misconceptions about Massachusetts. ;)

:laugh:

p.s. I am a total a** hole and I have a wicked accent... :wink: jk... hmmm... not really :smokin:

Wicked pissah
  • mikeyboy
    mikeyboy Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I am from Ohio. The thing I hear the most is.... "Ohio....ok" I guess most people think that Ohio is boring. I'm curious to know what other people think about Ohio?

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Ohio!! My Dad is from Akron and I always enjoyed visiting the area as a kid. I was so excited to take my husband and kids to Ohio a couple years ago and they enjoyed it too. We have family everywhere between Uniontown and Columbus. One of the highlights of our last trip was spending a day in Put-in-Bay. Beautiful place!!! And I cannot forget "Amish country". It's one of the most beautiful areas I've ever had the pleasure of visiting. I always look forward to being in Ohio!

Love Put-in-Bay! I live 20 mins. from the lake, straight south of Port Clinton, a short boat ride to the island.
  • zombie_meg
    zombie_meg Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I was born in Arizona and moved to Florida when I was 15. No one has ever said anything to me until now. I just moved back to FL from Alaska. When people see my drivers license or license plates, I'm asked if I'm "Eskimo" and if the heat is just killing me. One person asked me if I was in Alaska to be an Ice Road Trucker.
  • mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    I get that all Californians are very high maintenance and we think we are too cool for everything.... That is so not true!
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Metis :)

That works, thank you!
  • mommymeg2
    mommymeg2 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Well howdy y'all, I'm from Arkansas! LOL <----Sarcasm. Everyone always makes inbred jokes, and thinks we are hillbillies who sit around barefoot, in overalls, and farm. SO not true. :-)

I'm not from AR but I live here. There actually are quite a few hillbillies...
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I grew up partly in the Bay Area, and partly in Myrtle Beach SC. So when I moved to SC, everyone thought all people from CA lived at the beach (and were blond valley girls). I explained: out water is cold, you have bonfires at the beach, no swimming.

And then being from SC, people assumed either
    1. it is all backwoods and country (MB is suburban and touristy)
    2. MB is the "armpit of the south" (it isn't that trashy)

So it runs the gamut.
  • danibabs
    danibabs Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Here in Boston people think we're mean and horrible drivers.

Truth be told we're nice to people we *actually* like and our driving skills are better than some parts of the US (we also use our middle finger a lot when driving)

We're not horrible drivers. We're just so good at driving it intimidates other people who can't keep up ;)
    And I hate that whole cold and mean stereotype. Just cause you don't stop and say hi to every person on the street doesn't make you mean.
  • Chipmaniac
    Chipmaniac Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    People think it rains all the time in Seattle. It only rains consistently for nine months of the year. The other three months (summer) are glorious.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Meh... ethnicity on this hemisphere (eg the North and Western) is almost a moot point... It's easier just to say Canadian or American... because seriously who wants to say English-Danish-Slovinian-German-Swedish... blah blah blah... or to even go even farther because technically calling yourself German or English isn't an ethnicity either... you would have to call yourself Anglo, Saxon, Jute, Celt, etc... Unless you know which tribes your ancestors came from it's just easier to describe "where you came from" by the Country you and/or your parents originated from...

Now that a damper has been placed upon a fun thread.... :grumble:

Haha seriously! If we're talking ethnicity here, I'll be here all day! It takes like a full term paper to explain my heritage...so much easier to say "I'm caucasian and I'm from Texas."
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    I went to school in Lancaster, PA and everyone assumed we were Amish, we weren't, the school was Mennonite, and yes there were physical fights at my school, yes we had lights and running water, and no, most Mennonites don't wear head coverings and long dresses, that would be Old Order Mennonites or River Brethren
  • KellyKAG
    KellyKAG Posts: 418
    Options
    Everyone thinks Chicago politians are corrupt.......oh wait....they are. :grumble:
  • hanna1210
    hanna1210 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I'm from Indiana, which usually leads people to believe that I know every city within state lines - "Oh, do you know the Smiths from Union City?" No.

Also, we all grow or live near cornfields, it's completely flat, we're rednecks from the backwoods, love basketball, and must love the Indy 500.
  • liquidjem
    liquidjem Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I live in MA now...and I picked up a wicked accent and yes, I am a Ma hole now...I even have the shirt!!
  • Ashley_Panda
    Ashley_Panda Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    CNN came to my hometown a few years ago and did a town hall meeting type thing. It's mostly known from KKK activity years ago. In the 18 years I lived there I never saw any of it.
  • chatipati1
    chatipati1 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I am from Pittsburgh and most people think Pittsburghers are Steeler fans and Pen fans! Yep! They're absolutely right! Go PENS!
  • joycemhall
    joycemhall Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I have lived in Kansas my entire life and I get the Dorothy & Toto jokes, the redneck jokes and the 'flat' Kansas prairie jokes. I live in southeast Kansas though, and it's not flat here at all, and I don't have a field of wheat in my backyard either, although as I type this I realize my profile pic MIGHT make me look a little rednecky:laugh:
  • allegram
    allegram Posts: 117
    Options
    I'm from the Twin Cities, Minnesota and I swear to god I met the stupidest woman on earth who, when I told her where I was from, furrowed her brow and asked, "People can live there? I thought it was like a tundra."