What do you think is the biggest misconception about where y

Options

Replies

• cannonsky
    cannonsky Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I'm from maryland, and I live on the west coast... and I always get "But you don't seem like you are from the east coast. You aren't snobby".

And also... my family is some sort of part Polish... or something close enough to polish that people assume we're polish.. and that's apparently funny... but I still don't know why.
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    That our state is completely flat and is nothing but a bunch of cornfields. (I'm from Nebraska)

^^^ Me too!!! :bigsmile:

ME TOO! omigosh...

My biggest pet peeve is people who say "American" and only mean people from the US. This entire block of land on this hemisphere is America. Canadians ARE Americans. *le sigh*
    Sorry you don't like it, but there's nothing wrong with that. The Kingdom of Morocco is commonly known as Morocco; the Republic of Finland is commonly known as Finland. Of course the United States of America is commonly known as America. What else would it be called? "United States" describes the type of government. It's a standard naming convention. We have the right to call our country whatever we want.

Um my point isn't that the country is coloquially called America... Though it is just as often referred to as the United States. That doesn't describe a type of government regarding the name... umm... yeah...

Your examples have no relevance, seeing as even though they are shortened names, they are not in that shortening excluding groups of people that are technically part of their land. Canadians, Mexicans, Brazilians, etc etc are ALL AMERICAN because they are all located on various pieces of American soil i.e. North America, Central America, and South America. The Republic of Finland, even when referred to as Finland, includes all Finnish people. However, if Finland were to proclaim their people as European and expect the assumption to be that if you say you're European, you are from Finland, I'm pretty sure other people from Europe would take issue.

Nice try, but by not arguing on point, you lost the game ;)
  • JPod279
    JPod279 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I'm from Philadelphia and I've been asked when traveling (more than once!) if I've witnessed a drive by shooting. The answer is never.

I have lived in Delaware for the last 7 years. True story-I was once asked what state that's in.

I always think of Wayne's World when I hear Delaware.

Hi, I'm in..................Delaware. :bigsmile:
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I'm from Nova Scotia and people call me a "Newfie" which is what people from Newfoundland are called which is a completely different province. :explode:

Oh and that we move out west to take all good paying jobs... oh wait.. that ones true. :drinker:
  • mbeis
    mbeis Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Im from Jersey..enough said..dont get me started..LOL

Haha same. People constantly compare us to "Jersey Shore" or "Real Housewives of NJ". However, although some parts/people of New Jersey are like that, in South Jersey (where I'm from) people are more like a mix of the Carolinas and Philadelphia! Southern mindset with some urban influence. In Central Jersey, (I attend Rutgers University in New Brunswick) it's very middle-ground. Up north is where there are more "guidos", but still, the majority of people from North Jersey that I know do not fit that stereotype at all!
  • court182
    court182 Posts: 307
    Options
    #1. I'm from Kansas City, MISSOURI. #2. No, I don't live on a farm, own cattle, or have ever been swooped up by a tornado...

EXACTLY! Except for #1...I'm from Nebraska! And no, I am not an expert on corn!
  • sarita66
    sarita66 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Ok, I'm an Irish Catholic from Boston. I'm a wicked good driva and anything past Worcester belongs to NY doesn't it?:wink:
    Go Red Sox!
  • DaughterOfTheMostHighKing
    Options
    believe it or not, some people still think we live in grass shacks!!!!
  • sandylion
    sandylion Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    ME TOO! omigosh...

My biggest pet peeve is people who say "American" and only mean people from the US. This entire block of land on this hemisphere is America. Canadians ARE Americans. *le sigh*
    [/quote]
    Sorry you don't like it, but there's nothing wrong with that. The Kingdom of Morocco is commonly known as Morocco; the Republic of Finland is commonly known as Finland. Of course the United States of America is commonly known as America. What else would it be called? "United States" describes the type of government. It's a standard naming convention. We have the right to call our country whatever we want.
    [/quote]

Sorry luv, Canadians are not Americans... We are North Americans, we are not Americans.
  • sandylion
    sandylion Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

ME TOO! omigosh...

[/quote]
    [/quote]

Sorry luv, Canadians are not Americans... We are North Americans, we are not Americans.
  • crazytreelady
    crazytreelady Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    believe it or not, some people still think we live in grass shacks!!!!

I'm guessing you are from Hawaii?
  • UpToTheChallenge
    Options
    I'm from Ontario, Canada.

I have heard people (mostly American's) think that we live in igloos... :noway: :grumble:

Have you heard the song Oh, Canada by Classified? Listen to it. It's completely true.
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    I'm from Nova Scotia and people call me a "Newfie" which is what people from Newfoundland are called which is a completely different province. :explode:

Oh and that we move out west to take all good paying jobs... oh wait.. that ones true. :drinker:

Everything I know about Nova Scotia I learned from Trailer Park Boys
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I'm from the Smoky Mountains of north Georgia - aka Appalachia.

The first thing most people ask me when they find this out is...how come you don't have a twangy accent? (Because I traveled around the world and spent years living with people with different accents). The Appalachian dialect is not a sign of illiteracy anyway, it's just a regional manner of speaking.

Plenty of people also think we get our booze from stills (instead of the 7-11, I guess), we marry our cousins (uh no), we use snuff or chewing tobacco (some do, I can't stand it), we are illiterate (I started reading at age 4), the women are always barefoot and pregnant (teen pregnancy rate is currently lower than the national average), and because Georgia is a "southern" state, that I didn't experience snow while growing up (not true, there is nothing like the Smoky Mountains covered in snow!!).
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    ME TOO! omigosh...

[/quote]

[/quote]

This is what I was going to say. She's talking continents now, not countries.
  • yessiseguy
    yessiseguy Posts: 116
    Options
    That Texas is all cowboy and the yeehahs etc! But in reality we have amazing big cities and wonderful beaches. I live 15 minutes close to a fun island and i surf and tan always!
  • DinaLKeil
    DinaLKeil Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I'm from upstate New York. Way upstate. In the Adirondacks. It's absolutely the boondocks up here. Anytime I'm traveling and I tell someone I'm from New York, I get, "What was it like to grow up in such a big city?" Or, "wow, the big apple!" Or something along those lines. New York is a lot more than just New York City.
    Ha! I get the exact opposite (kinda.) I now live in Colorado but was born and raised on Long Island. I dont have the typical accent so when someone asks where I'm from and I say NY, they say "Oh? Upstate?" LOL!
  • kikokateyy
    kikokateyy Posts: 136 Member
    Options

was just talking to the receptionist about. We have a lot of guys come out from the east coast to work in the field. But she always calls them 'Newfies' when they all arent
  • kikokateyy
    kikokateyy Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I'm from Ontario, Canada.

I have heard people (mostly American's) think that we live in igloos... :noway: :grumble:

Have you heard the song Oh, Canada by Classified? Listen to it. It's completely true.

Love that song!
  • jmelyan23
    jmelyan23 Posts: 1,664 Member
    Options
    haha, I'm from UTAH... Peeps think everyone has a huge family here (but in my family there's only me and my brother...)

This! Although I was in a family of 7, not everyone in Utah is from a big family and I know quite a few people who were only children. Also I get asked if I know any polygamists .. yeah, they're EVERYWHERE. Not. In case you haven't noticed that is against the law these days. Go ask someone from Texas. Hehe, j/k! :flowerforyou: