What do you think is the biggest misconception about where y

Options

Replies

• iqnas
    iqnas Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Well...this isn't a misconception about where I'm from, but being a Muslim makes me a you-know-what.
    FALSE.
  • Swal02
    Swal02 Posts: 29
    Options
    Being from Northern Ireland, there are a number of (usually negative) steriotype associated with this. I now live in Glasgow and upon hearing my accent people often ask if I 1) have I ever seen a bomb and 2) do I eat lots of potatoes - bizzarre reli lol xx

My grandparents are irish, they get the same lol
  • k8lyn_235
    k8lyn_235 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I'm originally from West (by God) Virginia...DO you know how much S&%T I have taken?? First of all...its a completely different state from Virginia...Ever go to school and learn there are 50 not 49 states?? Oh yeah, and I don't love my brothers...or cousins, or anyone else related to me in that way...I wear shoes and I have all of my teeth. And no, I don't live in a trailer with a still out back...UGGH! I love my state!! Please don't knock it!

fellow west virginian here! agree with all of the above! while on vacation before, i just quit saying i was from wv and said i was from pittsburgh (only an hour away from where i live ;) )
  • mandy_freeman
    Options
    I'm from upstate New York. Way upstate. In the Adirondacks. It's absolutely the boondocks up here. Anytime I'm traveling and I tell someone I'm from New York, I get, "What was it like to grow up in such a big city?" Or, "wow, the big apple!" Or something along those lines. New York is a lot more than just New York City.

YES IT IS!!! I am from Austin and went to Syracuse and ABSOLUTELY beautiful! Not what I had imagined at all!
  • vestarocks
    vestarocks Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I'm from Vancouver Canada and for me it is that Canada is cold and snow covered all the time - We had to truck in snow for the Winter Olympics. It's a big country & the weather is as varied as our people.

I don't like hockey or beer.

And, obviously, we're not as polite as we're given credit for.
  • Swal02
    Swal02 Posts: 29
    Options
    Can't really think of many others, other than the being called a "know it all" English person before even saying anything. Oh oh .... that we have tea with the Queen and eat cucumber sandwiches. Those were genuine questions ...

So true! Oh and yes I have and I do, but with salmon. :smile:

lol me with Tuna!
  • kerriBB37
    kerriBB37 Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    I'm from Detroit. I am not a murderer.
  • vestarocks
    vestarocks Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Oh and I have to say that it is fascinating to see what the misconceptions are (and what misconceptions I've held).
  • freckles465
    Options
    I'm from New Jersey. I guess everyone assumes we are all Italian, go tanning everyday, and fist pump. Definitely not the case. I'm Irish and German, completely pale, and have never fist pumped. I will admit we have our fair share of people who fit the stereotype though :)
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I'm from Nova Scotia and people call me a "Newfie" which is what people from Newfoundland are called which is a completely different province. :explode:

Oh and that we move out west to take all good paying jobs... oh wait.. that ones true. :drinker:

Everything I know about Nova Scotia I learned from Trailer Park Boys

I was born in that trailer park.

edit: ok, not physically IN the TP but lived the first 2 months of my life in it.
  • MadeOfMagic
    MadeOfMagic Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I am Russian, people often assume I am a communist (probably wouldn't live in this country if I was), people also often assume I am "mad" at them or at something because russians supposelty always "look" pissed off when really aren't.
  • MadusaCait
    MadusaCait Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm a stuck-up *kitten* from Toronto.

But aren't these stereotypes becoming less and less because of all the information on the internet out there?
  • kidakiwi04
    kidakiwi04 Posts: 238
    Options
    7061334016190614897.jpg

I think this covers pretty much all of the united states. LMAO :laughing:

I live in Kentucky which is kkk country which if true if you live in some of the more rural parts.

I was born on Dallas Texas and yes everything is better in Texas. :)
  • MadusaCait
    Options
    I'm a stuck-up *kitten* from Toronto.

But aren't these stereotypes becoming less and less because of all the information on the internet out there?
  • stevewynjones
    stevewynjones Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I am Russian, people often assume I am a communist (probably wouldn't live in this country if I was), people also often assume I am "mad" at them or at something because russians supposelty always "look" pissed off when really aren't.

I'm impressed they don't think your either a oil billionaire or a gangster..:wink:
  • AmoreCouture
    AmoreCouture Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I'm from the South, and there's only a million assumptions made about me because of that. I'm not incest, illiterate, racist, Baptist, and nor do I use the words "yonder" and "ain't." lol
  • picassoadagio
    picassoadagio Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    When I say I come from rural Michigan, people think that I come from a family of farmers, but I don't. Three-quarters of the people in town I'm from, have a little money or they grew up there.
  • jessicaj_824
    jessicaj_824 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    That everyone from CT is rich, snootie and went to private school.
  • greeneyes191
    greeneyes191 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    DEE-troit baby! And no, not the ghetto. Miss it
    terribly. Live in Indy now - corn field hell. Not a lake in the state worth visiting.
  • MadusaCait
    Options
    So, you're Canadian EH? Do you go out and aboot, EH? How much snow do you get, EH? Do you believe in polar bears? (Seriously, someone asked me that in Australia)

And live in an igloo?