Having Babies is no Excuse

Options

Replies

• coconutbuNZ
    coconutbuNZ Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    You really like the sound of your own voice don't ya tinks? Another longwinded sermon from the mightier than thou :laugh: Are you sure you're not a preacher? Can't you just agree to disagree and accept the fact that people are ALLOWED to have different opinions?

You really need to get your head out of the 1950s. All of your posts indicate you are completely unwilling to change your outdated views on health and diet.

Another stranger making another assumption. It wasn't about health and diet in the first place mate. Keep your nose out of it lol.
  • lisakyle_11
    lisakyle_11 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    wow... i have 4 kids and thought that was a lot (well it still is to me)!

you look great, congrats! i hear you on not letting child bearing become an excuse for letting yourself go -- or for not picking yourself up.

i'm gonna hold off on posting bikini pics for now, but will say that i don't think anyone would guess that i've given birth to so many children.

best wishes!

ps. looks like the girls held up nicely too! :wink:
  • Monanik
    Monanik Posts: 150
    Options
    You look Amazing! Awesome job! That definitely motivated me to wear a two piece after 2 kids! :)
  • TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    You really like the sound of your own voice don't ya tinks? Another longwinded sermon from the mightier than thou :laugh: Are you sure you're not a preacher? Can't you just agree to disagree and accept the fact that people are ALLOWED to have different opinions?

You really need to get your head out of the 1950s. All of your posts indicate you are completely unwilling to change your outdated views on health and diet.

Another stranger making another assumption. It wasn't about health and diet in the first place mate. Keep your nose out of it lol.

To quote the moderator:
    Hey Folks- we wold really like to keep the MFP posts as friendly as possible. Just a friendly reminder that if you do not agree with another user, to kindly pass on responding or respond via private message. Please keep this guideline in mind: No Attacks or Insults and No Reciprocation

a) Do not attack, mock, or otherwise insult others. You can respectfully disagree with the message or topic, but you cannot attack the messenger. This includes attacks against the user’s spelling or command of written English, or belittling a user for posting a duplicate topic.
    b) If you are attacked by another user, and you reciprocate, you will also be subject to the same consequences. Defending yourself or a friend is not an excuse! Do not take matters into your own hands – instead, use the Report Post link to report an attack and we will be happy to handle the situation for you.

If these guidelines cannot be followed we will close the post- again, let's keep the MFP posts a friendly environment!

Thanks!

Coconut: If you can not add anything positive to this thread, please go someplace else. Your negative energy is not wanted here.
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options

i'm gonna hold off on posting bikini pics for now, but will say that i don't think anyone would guess that i've given birth to so many children.
    Oh, please post! :smile:
  • mum32008
    mum32008 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Have to say i found this post inspirational, i have 3 kids and my youngest is nearly 5, i have used having kids as an excuse :blushing: , i was never thin before kids(12) put on lots of weight each pregnancy and was always a dress size higher after, managed to lose 3 stone though, but hit the famous roadblock of being stuck lol so joined this site, everytime i see posts like this especially with pics it really does motivate me, i love reading people's success stories makes me think i can do it, so just want to say well done you look fantastic :smile:
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Well i know i am a little late to this discussion, however i believe having kids does make it harder to be in shape. I am a single mother to a 5 year old boy. I also own my own home and am solely responsible for all my own bills so Work and my son come before my own health many times. My schedule is working full time (Mon - (most)Friday, Crossfit Mon and Wed, Soccer practice and soccer games for my little one tues and saturday. Regular gym Thursday, friday and sundays. by the time we get home from the gym and soccer practices during the week, its 8pm at night. This leaves 1 hour for quality time, snack time and showers before bed. Its definately easier for some one who DOESNT have kids to keep in shape. not to mention having kids does something to your body that makes you pack on the pounds unless your work out regularly. before i had my son i never had to work out, i was always 110 lbs. now i have to bust my *kitten* to be 120 -130.
  • WhittRak
    WhittRak Posts: 572 Member
    Options

Are you sure you know what you're doing? You may well wait 'till after 35 then find that you're not longer able to! I'd suggest you give yourself a head start and start trying earlier.
    [/quote

Really? I'm turning 32 and just now thinking about trying in a year....I hate when people say crap like this. RUDE AND UNNECESSARY
    [/quote]

After 35 it is known that it may be harder for a woman to get pregnant. But...there is not reason why she should not try :) And enjoy trying of course! My husband and I are waiting until I am 30, or even 31. And that is not a set timeline, we have a ton of things going on, so waiting would be a good idea. To each their own...and 32 is a great age :)
  • libby328
    libby328 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I just want to add that you Rocked it Tink! Be proud of what you have done! I know how low a mom can feel at a time when she should be feeling accomplished! I know the emotional toll it takes on a new moms brain when you did this awesome thing by creating a child within your own body, yet you cant stand the thought of looking in the mirror at yourself! No shame anymore and nothing wrong with feeling that way! Some people might think it isnt a big deal to loose the weight and it shouldnt be but you also have to accept this brand new body that you have and that in itself is a struggle! Way to go! Keep pressing forward and if you are proud of yourself who cares what others think! It is your body and you should be proud!
  • starcatcher1975
    starcatcher1975 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    You look AMAZING! I am 30 and am wanting to wait until later to have children sometime after 35, so thank you for posting your results

Are you sure you know what you're doing? You may well wait 'till after 35 then find that you're not longer able to! I'd suggest you give yourself a head start and start trying earlier.

I'm 36, I already have 2 kids (12 and 14) and if I ever get in another serious relationship/marriage and he wants another kid I would consider having one. I don't feel I'm too old to have kids, if it happens it happens, it if doesn't it doesn't. Of course if I were 40 or 45 I might reconsider but that is just ME...and mostly because I'd like to travel eventually and and also have the energy to be able to keep up with a baby/toddler
  • starcatcher1975
    starcatcher1975 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    People whine too much...she said just because we've had kids does NOT mean we're doomed to be fat...
    OK...so this may be a little harsh, but I feel it needs to be said. Just because we have had kids does not mean that we are doomed to be fat and not fit. Sure, we may not get that perfect pre-baby body back, but this is no excuse to just give up.

I do understand the "giving up" thought....I had it a few times...in fact, I even bought bigger shirts to hide my tummy.

I thought this was actually encouraging:
    SOOOOO...DO NOT LET HAVING A BABY/BABIES GET YOU DOWN!!! You have got to want to lose the weight and to build a healthy and beautiful body. You can do it!! Get motivated and get angry!!! Beat that stupid baby belly and flabby arms!!!

Why do people get so upset about everything? I gained weight with each of my pregnancies and more weight after...my youngest is 12 so I can't use the "I just had a baby" excuse. It's because I've been lazy about getting fit but I'll be damned if I'm going to stay this size forever...at least not without some serious effort on my part!

If you don't like what someone has to say why even bother reading it? If the first line offends you, click the little x at the top of the page or click the back button. Really people...I just don't see how this offended anyone. Am I not being sensitive enough? Did I read it the wrong way? Am I missing something? I guess maybe because I tend to be a blunt person, tend to speak without thinking, and usually stick my foot in my mouth I just don't see it? I've had to be told I'm being rude before...not because I'm stupid but because I simply didn't think I was, I was just being my usual self (and yes, when someone says I've been rude and I didn't realize it I do apologize, I don't like intentionally hurting people)
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    wow some one is a little angry this morning ^^ :laugh:
  • russellma
    russellma Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Can I add just a little bit?

Although I agree that having kids is no excuse to let yourself go, there are probably some moms who were like me and despite sincerely trying, they still found it near impossible to gain control of this part of their lives. A year ago, I would have found this post very discouraging and it would have served as a club to beat myself over the head!

Unfortunately, sometimes pregnancies can seriously mess up your hormones, which makes it VERY hard to lose weight and affects you emotionally, as well. Add a hectic schedule and lack of sleep and you have a very frustrated mom.

If there is anyone like that, I would encourage you to fix the underlying problem first. If you can get your hormones back into balance, it will go a long way to giving you a boost emotionally and physically to get the job done.

I started out with information from the following website that gave me hope that it wasn't just a lack of motivation or laziness:

http://www.womentowomen.com/understandyourbody/symptoms/default.aspx

(Ignore the sales pitch at the bottom... obviously they want to sell their product, but the information itself is encouraging and helpful!)

I didn't actually stick with the program there due to the high cost of the supplements, but it did give me a springboard to help myself and I started researching on my own what I needed to do to get my hormones back to an even keel.

For me, I needed to eat less than the recommended carbs (I started out at around 100 grams/day and have gradually increased them...this also naturally resulted in less processed foods and more nutrient-rich foods) AND I needed to exercise hard and long enough to break a good sweat . After the first few pounds, I stalled because I wasn't eating enough and learned that I had to eat enough to convince my body that it could give up some fat.

Now 8 months later, all of my hormonal symptoms have pretty much disappeared, I'm only 5 lbs. above my wedding weight and my husband says I look better than I ever have.

More importantly, I'm healthy physically and emotionally, which is really what this journey is all about. Hopefully, for those that don't find the original post too encouraging, you will see that it really can be done and there's help and hope for you!
  • Vdoubledice
    Vdoubledice Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You inspire me friend!
  • brenni76
    brenni76 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad to read this! I still have a LONG way to go on my weight loss journey, but I have come a long way in the 2 months since I started. I keep seeing a lot of posts about people not wanting to drop their kids off at the gym daycare or exercising after the kids go to bed. What about getting your kids involved in your workouts? I do yoga in my living room with the kids (I have a 4 year old girl, 3 year old boy and a 7 month old boy). We go for bikerides, run around and play tag in the yard, and for weight training, I lift my kids. It's nothing formal, but I'm down 17.2 lbs since February 19th (i didn't join this site until i was into my weight loss kick a few weeks). I feel great, look better, am having a GREAT time with my kids and my kids are learning the importance of staying active.

Also, I understand that SEEING results keeps us motivated but wanting to be healthy enough to watch my kids grow up is my motivation. My maternal grandmother died at 55 of heart disease (she had 7 kids and her youngest was 16). My other grandmother died at 49 of a heart attack (she had 9 kids, the youngest was 9). My father died at 57 of complications of type 2 diabetes 5 weeks before his first grandchild (my daughter) was born. I don't have good genes on my side, so I need to be able to control the things I can for the sake of my children. A parent's first job is to be there for their child. God forbid somthing ever happened to me, I don't ever want my children to think that I didn't take my health seriously.
  • DDBeard
    DDBeard Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Very well put. Scared to have kids but apperciate your insight.
  • whatluckycat
    whatluckycat Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Tinkr, you're a great inspiration! Don't let the negative people get to you. People who feel bad about themselves usually don't like facing other peoples' success... Misery loves company.

If you can look like that after having 6(!!!) children, there's no reason I can't, too! :)
  • TinkrBelz
    Options
    I agree, make sure your hormones are right and yes, babies can change our body!! And, I am not sure if it is having babies that makes it more difficult to lose the weight, or just getting older.

Everyone told me with my first child that my body would never be the same...I had made a mental note that my cute figure was gone. I lost that 50lbs without even trying. I was also 24.

Baby 6, first female child, and 39....the weight DID NOT want to come off. So, here I am overweight, loss of muscle tone, slower metabolism, and wider hips! My hips never spread with my first 5 boys, the girl spread my hips. So, look....I was defeated!! I know and understand what y'all are saying. Why try when I still have stretch marks, loose skin, I can't get the weight off or it is coming off slowly, and my hips are wider. OH, and I am sooooo freaking tired!!! And I felt guilty leaving the family to go to the gym, I should be here for them all of the time....so I did not go to the gym even though my husband worked out daily.

Moms have so much on their plate, it is amazing that we can juggle it all.

So, please know that this message is not to say you will get your pre-baby body back. Some women do, but most of us do not. It changed. BUT, we can get our best post-baby body back and really, most importantly, we can get healthy!!! Our kids need to see mom healthy because we are their role models. It is not an easy journey, especially if you are like me and keep having kids!! LOL! I mean, I lost 50-60lbs 6 times!! That is so exhausting!!

Anyway, keep up the good work. And when you get discouraged, get in touch with one of your MFP friends. That is what this community is about. And do not compare yourself to other women either. We all have different bodies, embrace your body shape and type and fine tune that body!!! :flowerforyou:
  • DanyelePalmer
    Options
    i have a girl, had her when i was 21 and i have so much lose skin and stretch marks but i blame my own self because i was overweight when i got pregnant which only made things worse on me. now that i have lost 40 lbs i mean i feel alot better but my tummy is absolutely ruined. even if i lose the weight i dont see how it could ever look "normal". i would like one more child and after that and i get all the weight back off i plan on surgery because it just looks aweful. So i can comp understand when some women feel almost like whatever to weight loss because i am in that right now. i cannot get myself motivated to lost this last 30 lbs, I wish i had your motivation -_-
  • TinkrBelz
    Options
    i have a girl, had her when i was 21 and i have so much lose skin and stretch marks but i blame my own self because i was overweight when i got pregnant which only made things worse on me. now that i have lost 40 lbs i mean i feel alot better but my tummy is absolutely ruined. even if i lose the weight i dont see how it could ever look "normal". i would like one more child and after that and i get all the weight back off i plan on surgery because it just looks aweful. So i can comp understand when some women feel almost like whatever to weight loss because i am in that right now. i cannot get myself motivated to lost this last 30 lbs, I wish i had your motivation -_-

It is hard to get motivated. My tummy looked bad, but not enough to have surgery. But, I knew after kids and nursing them all, I would get my boobs done. No matter what I did, those were shot. And, I do not care who knows either! haha!

So, I say, work hard to get your best body back. Have one more kid (or however many you choose) then when you are done, get a TT! You might need muscle repair too, so TT are not just cosmetic!! And think, if you loose all baby weight, then really all that you are having taken off is skin! You will look great!! I have a few MFP friends that have had TT and WOW do they look good!!

And 40lbs lost is AWESOME!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!