Should obese people who can't fit in 1 seat pay for 2?

Options

Replies

• tabulator32
    tabulator32 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    They should post their policy: Anyone who weighs over "x" including cloths or anyone with a waist or chest measurement has to purchase an additional ticket, or pay an additional fee. The scales should be owned by the airport and not an airline and subject to strict certifications. If it was clearly stated up front, then you would know what you are getting into.

One of the reasons I never fly is my size, both height and weight. The planes would not be comfortable, and this is the reason I like to sit on ends when I go places.
    I agree in principe, but then what? Weigh people at airports?

Every package and piece of luggage gets weighed. Why not the people?
  • Sianarella
    Options
    I’ve been sat behind a couple that bought the whole row because they needed the room, which is fine, what wasn’t fine is the fact that she was so big the seat pushed right back on to me. Seriously the seat was an inch away from my face. I wouldn’t have been able to use the tray and luckily the flight was pretty empty so I could move.
    But the women was so rude about me moving, she turned around and shouted ‘I’m already paying for a row, no need to get huffy you’re not exactly thin yourself. Stop drawing attention to me’
  • zoeluiisa
    zoeluiisa Posts: 392
    Options
    Here's a connected question. On some flights you get a very small baggage allowance included in the ticket - if it goes over the weight you pay a whopping extra charge (or you do in the UK at least).

If you're a skinny person paying extra for your bag being a pound or two overweight, but you AND your bag together weigh less than the much larger person checking in after you, is that unfair? Instead of just bags being weighed, should we AND our bags get on the scale?
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    My husband is a large man, not obese. He's 6'2", very muscular, so he takes up more space than the average person. I guess he could be charged extra, too. I'm glad he isn't or we would never be able to visit family, expensive enough as it is.
    I just wish they would design the seats to be a tad more accomodating. Not everyone is a 12 year old girl.

THIS!! I have unusually broad shoulders - comparable to many solidly-built men's, and while the actual seat part of a chair is never a problem, the width of the back frequently is. I sometimes 'spill' into the next person's seat at shoulder height a little, not because I'm huge, but because some airline seats are so damn narrow. (This does vary a LOT airline to airline, just to complicate things, and is one of the reasons I usually try to get either a window or aisle seat, which have a little more leeway.) If I'm in a three-seat row with two large-ish men, it really becomes a problem! Airlines need to allow for human beings of various dimensions rather than assuming we are all petite in pursuit of the highest possible profit/flight.

That said, if someone is genuinely unable to fit comfortably into one seat in general (rather than just one area!) for safety reasons it is preferable that they buy two seats. Weighing people at check in is never going to get my vote - it punishes people with high muscle mass or large build, regardless of their physique and 'seat-fit', but there could be a case for having a 'trial' seat in a discreet location, so that attendants could ask people to try the seat if they're concerned they may not fit - it would save drama and embarrassment on-board.
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,366 Member
    Options
    I used to be one of those people who thought it wasn't really fair to do that. But then I became one of those people who was forced to share her seat with a woman who could not fit into her seat. Now I have to agree now that it's fair to charge them for a second seat.

I was trapped in the middle seat, unable to use the restroom because this woman could barely get down the aisle and had trouble getting up and down. She put the arm rest up between us and took up one-third of my seat. I felt it was an intrusion, but the plane was full -every seat. There was nowhere quiet for me to ask them to rearrange us so that her (teenage) children were the ones seated with her instead of me. I could tell she was embarrassed and she apologized to me. I had a lot of respect for her feelings because my mom was about her size before. I don't have any ailments or anything that would have made this situation any worse, so I just committed to sending a letter to the airline.

How fair is it for me to pay FULL price for a seat I got to use 2/3 of?

I was refunded the cost of my seat.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    That would be awesome if you paid based on your weight. $x per lb. for travelers, that would be some motivation to lose.

But seriously, if you take up two seats, you pay for two seats. For airlines that have a large US presence, I'm surprised they haven't yet made super-sized seats for obese people. ,Abe the would be a seat and a half wide. So, rather than paying double, they pay a little more for the super-size seat. Where there are three seats, they would have two in a few rows. Easy solution.
  • 42kgirl
    42kgirl Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Yes. If you take up two seats, pay for two seats. I paid full price for my kids as infants because they were in carseats in a seat. They do not do discounts for children. How is it unfair? It's unfair to the person your half sitting on the entire flight.
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    Yeah. it would be unfair if they got two seats for themselves, but i couldn't get a free seat for my pigeon. T_T
  • zoeluiisa
    zoeluiisa Posts: 392
    Options
    For airlines that have a large US presence, I'm surprised they haven't yet made super-sized seats for obese people. ,Abe the would be a seat and a half wide. So, rather than paying double, they pay a little more for the super-size seat. Where there are three seats, they would have two in a few rows. Easy solution.

I think they have - I watched a documentary that showed what size seats on planes and trains used to be in the US, and how much bigger a lot of them are now, and there was quite a difference.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    As someone who does take up more than my fair share of space, I'm afraid that I have to say that yes, I do think that paying for seats is the right thing to do. In fact I believe most airlines have a policy in place on this matter, though it is not widely spoken about. I believe some of the airlines only charge 50 percent for the second seat.

Now, that said, I've not had to do this as of yet, as I generally travel with my husband and he's okay with the close quarters. But if I was travelling alone, I would either upgrade to business/first or purchase two seats. In part because I don't want to encroach on a stranger's space and make them uncomfortable and because I want to be comfortable myself.
  • DieVixen
    DieVixen Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Yes they should have to pay for 2,if your taking up 2 then you should have to pay for it. And its perfectly fair
  • bug1114
    bug1114 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Its business nothing personal. If you occupy 2 seats then of course you should pay. Just like those who choose to suck on cancer sticks(cigarettes) all day should pay more in healthcare and higher cigarette tax.

Ok...so EVRYONE chooses to be fat??? Really?? I guess fat people have extra money laying around in their cheeseburger stash. It's people like this that cause suicide in obese people!! You are judgmental, rude & inconsiderate.

I wasn't going to comment on this thread, but seriously? Telling someone that they are the type of person that cause suicide in obese people based off of one comment that they posted? You don't think that comment of yours was "judgmental, rude & inconsiderate"?
  • hazelbliss6
    hazelbliss6 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Maybe a good way to create guidelines for whether or not 2 seats are needed is to have a mock seat next to the baggage basket measurer. So the same concept applies; if your bag doesn't fit in the model- you have to check it under the plane. If you can't fit your body into the seat model, you need to pay for 2 tickets. It's still embarrassing perhaps, but at least there is a consistent rule and it can be settled before everyone is crammed on the plane and then the social tension starts. Plus the seat model could be out of the public eyesight a so it wouldn't be a spectacle.
  • margeauxhunt
    Options
    I didn't read all the comments, but I know how mean I am about to sound.

If you are so wide that you take up 2 seats, you should pay for 2 seats. I'd be so pissed off if I had someone taking up my seat because they were too obese for their own.
  • mangorabbit
    mangorabbit Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    When it comes to fair air fare, we should all be treated like freight.

Everyone should be charged by the pound!

Not only is it the only true fair way, but it would incite America to lose weight!

:bigsmile:

I love that a couple people have mentioned this. As someone who travels a fair amount, I have jestingly put forth to coworkers my theory of new airline policy. Your ticket includes one standard seat and X pounds, that weight includes you AND your luggage. If you and/or your luggage are outside the maximum dimensions or weight, then there are charges. They have the carry-on bag size check, why not a seat as well? (Previously mentioned by others).

The other point of this, and this might be a bit challenging, but for people traveling light, or who happen to be smaller than the allotment, perhaps they could 'sell' their extra weight allotment to someone who requires it.

...and this is why I am not allowed to suggest policy! ^_^
  • GouchisGirl
    GouchisGirl Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I think that seats have gotten smaller over the years, but if you have to use two seats then I suppose you should pay for the room that is being occupied.
  • robgar1
    robgar1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Agree with the majority opinion. It is a business decision and however unfair there is also the factor of the discomfort of the neighboring passenger
  • weecazs
    weecazs Posts: 7
    Options
    i think yes! i would be deeply upset if i paid for my seat on a plane, then had some obese person beside me taking up half my seat and squashing me for the same price! defo they should be made to pay 2 seats xx
  • lsapphire
    lsapphire Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Obesity is a growing health concern. While I think it is unfortunate, if you use 2 seats, you pay for 2 seats, financial neccesity. I know of at least one person who denied having any problems with their weight till they took a plane flight.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    Actually the whole charged by the lb thing is interesting. Unfair in some respects, but interesting.

What it brought to mind was an experience I had in Vegas for a helicopter tour. Everyone was weighed at check in and seated accordingly. The scale was like a freight scale, a large metal plate where you stood as you were checked in and the weight was registered on the opposite side of the counter. It was every discreet. I don't recall if I was charged accordingly though, I believe it was done more related to balance of the helicopter.
This discussion has been closed.