Should obese people who can't fit in 1 seat pay for 2?

Options

Replies

• MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    We live in a society in which we don't want to hurt other peoples' feelings by stating the obvious truth. The truth of the matter is that obesity is a choice, unless you have a medical condition that causes it. There are only two conditions I know of that results in obesity issues, and they are both uncommon - Prader Willi and Bardet-Beidl (spelling may be wrong).

What is happening with society when we accomodate people for issues that are unacceptable, but we don't want to hurt peoples' feelings?

We tell parents that when they come home after work and are so tired that they have no energy for their children that it is okay to park them in front of a television with a bag of chips while you recuperate. What about the rights of the children who would like to have their parents' attention and a decent meal?

We allow young men to run around with their underwear showing because we believe this is their personal right to dress how they want. What about my right to not have to see someones underwear and/or butt crack?

We allow children to be disruptive in classrooms, depriving those who want to learn of a decent education, because the child has ADHD or some other disorder and has the right to attention public school like everyone else? What about the rights of the other children who really want to learn?

So now we have this question of should an obese person pay for two seats because they are too large for one seat. What if the plane can carry 78 people, but one person needs two seats because they are obese. There is one more person who really needs to be on the plane because their mother is dying in another state. What about that person's feelings? How would you feel if you could not get a seat on the plane to visit your dying mother because an obese person took up two seats, but only had to pay for one? Additionally, although there is a lot of negative connotations applied to corporations making money, they have the right to make money. When the seat is taken by an obese person, but not paid for, the corporation loses money. Who do you think is going to make up for that money?

Just like in the healthcare system, when people who are uninsured show up at hospital and admitted for treatment, the costs are passed on to those who can pay.

Why should I pay for someone's poor choices when it comes to nutrition and exercise? To me, that isn't fair. I don't want to subsidize anyone's obesity habit.

When did I decide to lose weight? When I hopped into the tub one day and my hips touched the sides of the tub, on both sides and when I was too large for a chair in a restaurant.

If we keep accomodating people so that they can be comfortable with their obesity issue, then they will not be forced into a position where they will have to face the fact that they just are too large. I don't believe in accomodating everyone. Older people, infants, those in wheelchairs, etc., but not someone who has chosen to be obese and not do anything about.

They should pay for the extra seat because the passenger that didn't get to fly and the corporation that runs the service have rights as well. They have the right to have a seat on a plane and the right to be paid for each seat taken.

I know many will not agree with me. I an not trying to start and argument, just give you something to think about.

**applause**
  • TallyNick
    TallyNick Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    If you overflow into my seat, I get to use you like a pillow and fall asleep on your shoulder.
  • kateroot
    kateroot Posts: 435
    Options
    Absofrickinlutely yes.
  • Danhra
    Danhra Posts: 77
    Options
    Some of the comments on here are.. I don't even know what to say...

So EVERYONE who is overweight made bad health decisions? They ALL just sit around all day sucking up Pizza, nacho's and every clearly labeled bad for you food as opposed to anything else?? The poor people who buy the fatty ground beef to feed their family because the lean stuff just won't stretch, well.. If they can't afford to pay us for the good stuff.. lets just sell them "crap" make it cheap.. then teach the REST of society to judge them AND tax them for it!! Teach healthy eating or serve healthy food in schools? Make better quality food more affordable and appealing?? Things like thyroid diseases.. etc: that cause weight gain.. why their a myth.. You disgusting fat bas****ds.. How dare you live and breathe!!

ENOUGH OF YOUR EXCUSE!!!!

Both of the people you so rudely responded to were talking about the attitudes displayed by a few others in this thread, not on the general consensus regarding the op's question. They were talking about the people who are tearing down overweight people and saying they should also pay more for healthcare and taxes etc... So take it easy
  • KelliH729
    KelliH729 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/obesity/DS00314/DSECTION=causes

Causes
    By Mayo Clinic staff

Although there are genetic and hormonal influences on body weight, obesity occurs when you take in more calories than you burn through exercise and normal daily activities. Your body stores these excess calories as fat. Obesity usually results from a combination of causes and contributing factors, including:

Inactivity. If you're not very active, you don't burn as many calories. With a sedentary lifestyle, you can easily take in more calories every day than you use through exercise and normal daily activities.Unhealthy diet and eating habits. Having a diet that's high in calories, eating fast food, skipping breakfast, eating most of your calories at night, drinking high-calorie beverages and eating oversized portions all contribute to weight gain.Pregnancy. During pregnancy, a woman's weight necessarily increases. Some women find this weight difficult to lose after the baby is born. This weight gain may contribute to the development of obesity in women.Lack of sleep. Getting less than seven hours of sleep a night can cause changes in hormones that increase your appetite. You may also crave foods high in calories and carbohydrates, which can contribute to weight gain.Certain medications. Some medications can lead to weight gain if you don't compensate through diet or activity. These medications include some antidepressants, anti-seizure medications, diabetes medications, antipsychotic medications, steroids and beta blockers.Medical problems. Obesity can sometimes be traced to a medical cause, such as Prader-Willi syndrome, Cushing's syndrome, polycystic ovary syndrome, and other diseases and conditions. Some medical problems, such as arthritis, can lead to decreased activity, which may result in weight gain. A low metabolism is unlikely to cause obesity, as is having low thyroid function.
  • lururu
    lururu Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I think if you have trouble fitting into a seat on a plane we are talking morbidly obese rather than just obese aren't we?

When I was a little younger my hubby (fiance at the time) went on our first holiday abroad together, I was a big girl then too but I fit comfortably in the seat on the plane so all good. On the way home a large gentleman (not really obese but just physically big) sat infront of me, his seat was a bit dodgy and as he was so large he kept pressing the recline button with his thigh, my hubby and I had to constantly ask him to put his seat back up as he was squashing me. Eventually he fell asleep and so my hubby swapped seats with me as I was so uncomfortable (I have osteoarthritis in my leg joints which makes them stiff and sore anyway) I was in tears.

In light of that exeperience I would say that morbidly obese people should expect to be asked to pay for more than one seat if their weight impacts another passenger. I know I would hate it if my weight resulted in someone else being uncomfortable to the point of tears.

My hubby arranged a hot air balloon flight for one of our anniversaries, we had to input the weight of each passenger when we booked our flight, maybe this is a solution? This way seats can be allocated by the airlines ahead of time so nobody has to know or be embarassed. I know this wouldn't work for all situations but maybe it is a start?

You can make excuses for being overweight as much as you like but in the end excuses don't make you any healthier. I have had osteoarthritis all my adult life and losing weight has been made more challenging because of it but the arthritis didn't eat all the sweeties :P People who are genuinely and irreparably overweight due to medical conditions are few and far between but I am 100% sure that if they knew a way to fix it that worked for them they would take it.
  • transfixedtoast
    transfixedtoast Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    sigh, arguments arguments arguments.
    Also it's as unfair to pick on people for being thin as it is for the other end of the spectrum.
    Airlines do what they have to to keep making money.
  • staps065
    staps065 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I have mixed emotions on this issue. When I was much larger, I always fit into a seat, not too comfortabley, but I fit. I had to have a seatbelt extension if that gives you a better visual. I sure didn't want to be forced to buy an extra seat, but the extra room would have been good for me and any of my seat/row mates.

Now that I fit into a seat and not need the seatbelt extender (I now have room!) and someone larger than me is in my space due to their size, it does bother me some. Now, I'm no skinny mini and I can use the extra space still too!

The airlines should make seats larger. They are in first class so why not the entire plane? If not a full first class-sized seat, then one that is somewhere in between. I know this would reduce the number of passengers, but everyone would be more comfortable.

In the mean time airlines should offer something like a discounted second seat if it seconds seat is for the same passenger. Are you getting twice the service, twice the beverages/snacks. I'm assuming you would get to bring twice as many carry ons and luggage, right? Does that sound likje a viable solution?

Again, if seats were made to accomodate the size of our population today, this wouldn't be a problem as much as it is... Just my opinion....
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I read an article where a lady on an airplane had to pay for two seats since she couldn't fit in one. So I want to know what your opinion is on obese people who can't fit in one seat, should they pay for two?

Yes.

Also, duh.
  • tig_ol_bitties
    tig_ol_bitties Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Again, if seats were made to accomodate the size of our population today, this wouldn'y be a problem as much as it is... Just my opinion....

I'm part "of the population today" and I fit very well in a seat. The airlines don't deserve to lose money by making their seats larger, therefore not being able to sell as many tickets just because our general population has gotten larger due to their own lifestyle choices.
  • monkeymomof3
    monkeymomof3 Posts: 107 Member
    Options

The airlines should make seats larger. They are in first class so why not the entire plane? If not a full first class-sized seat, then one that is somewhere in between. I know this would reduce the number of passengers, but everyone would be more comfortable.

In the mean time airlines should offer something like a discounted second seat if it seconds seat is for the same passenger. Are you getting twice the service, twice the beverages/snacks. I'm assuming you would get to bring twice as many carry ons and luggage, right? Does that sound likje a viable solution?

Again, if seats were made to accomodate the size of our population today, this wouldn'y be a problem as much as it is... Just my opinion....

A couple things about this made me sort of laugh, if the seats were larger, and there were less passengers, tickets would be MORE expensive, probably doubled, as they would have to still make the same amount of money for the trip AND add more flights to accomodate. It would just change the issue at hand and everyone would just start to complain about that - EVERYONE! not just the people who may have to pay for a second seat. ALSO, if the seats were made to be the size of our population today? Surely you can see where this wouldn't be a good idea.....then EVERYTHING would start to be the size of our population today, further encouraging unhealthy lifestyles, more health issues, shorter life expectancies, etc....
  • ConcordPhil
    ConcordPhil Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I have an additional question (to all those that have said yes to the OPs question).

If you were flying for work, and the airline made you buy two seats, do you think your employer should foot the bill for the extra seat?

Oooh, good question. I would say yes the employer should pay. You are flying for them. They know, presumably, that you are overweight yet they still want you to fly to a destination that benefits them. All part of the cost of doing business.
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    Amused that the majority advocating 'pay by pound' are male, who would end up being charged more, typically, than the average female to fly. Are you really OK with that?! Also pointing out, once again, that weight and size are not necessarily directly proportional. Two people in the same size clothes, hell, even with the same measurements, can weigh significantly different amounts, depending on body composition.

Also very sad to see so much aggression and unkind criticism of the overweight, on this site of all places. The majority of us are, or have been, overweight at some point, and presumably realise that excess weight is rarely really only about calories in and out - few of us got there simply because we "ate endless junk and sat on the couch". There were reasons for our weight gains, and reasons for our losses. I know there's proverbially no-one so fierce as a recent convert, but a little compassion for each other, and for those who struggle with the demons we've conquered or are conquering would be nice.
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Yes. If people have to pay for a seat for a newborn baby, absolutely yes - people should pay if they use more than one seat.
  • NashvilleShelley
    Options
    I would rather share my seat with the obese person as long as they don't take off their shoes and cut their toe nails...that was much worse than a heavy person touching my shoulder for the flight. And take a shower before you get on the plane, don't wear smelly perfume, don't smell like smoke, take some beano and don't talk to me. Oh! The people that sit next to me, I have to be a freak magnet! But, be polite, if you take up two seat, buy two seats.
  • gtchs
    gtchs Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Yes. Fortunately I don't fly often (haven't in about 10 years) but when I did I always bought 2 seats in advance. It was more for my own comfort than for the other passengers.
  • suziblues2000
    suziblues2000 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I'm flying to Vegas next week and it will be the first time I can put an airplane seatbelt on. I feel sorry for the people that sit next to me, but not sorry enough to buy their seat. Now if some fat man tried to sit next me I think I would stick my elbow into his side as hard as I could without getting into trouble. I've always thought the world is to accommodating to fat people. I hate when people talk about how thin I am now and do I still want to lose more weight. I'm 265lbs. I'm still fat. I still have allot of weight to lose. But no way in hell am I going to buy a second seat!!!

I don't quite understand your view. First you say you feel bad for the people who must sit next to you; but not bad enough to buy another seat; then you say if a fat person sits next to YOU you'd stick them in the ribs real hard (should THEY have bought another seat? but not YOU?); then you say the world is too accommodating to fat people....wth IS your view on the subject?

BTW: congratulations on losing enough weight to be able to use a regular seat belt! Thats great!

Buy another seat if you take up another person's space!
    I frequently fly to NY from Detroit and I was SO tired of being squashed by large people that I didn't want to take the chances of my grand kid being squashed on his first time flying y (yesterday) so I went ahead and bought us the big seats in the front of the plane.

These seats were awesome. These are the seats that large people should buy. They are extra $$ but SO worth it.

If you are big enough to take up even an inch of another person's personal space; go ahead and spend the extra money on the bigger seats. You'll be so much happier and more comfortable! and so will the person who you'd be smashing!
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    Yes, they should.
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Ok...so EVRYONE chooses to be fat??? Really??
    Whether they choose to be obese or not, it's only fair that someone pay for the 2nd seat if their body overflows into it. Please explain how that would not be fair.

It's humiliating. If nothing....require optional seat width preference. I'd rather measure my butt in my home than get humiliated.
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    Ok...so EVRYONE chooses to be fat??? Really??
    Whether they choose to be obese or not, it's only fair that someone pay for the 2nd seat if their body overflows into it. Please explain how that would not be fair.

It's humiliating. If nothing....require optional seat width preference. I'd rather measure my butt in my home than get humiliated.

I fully understand the humiliation, but it's not like the person showed up at the airport and all of a sudden was like, "Holy crap, I'm obese." They knew, and chose to do nothing about it, it's not the airline's fault that they're obese.
This discussion has been closed.