~ Clean Eaters Thread ~

Options

Replies

• astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    A chicken breast with souvlaki sauce :love: :love: it's basically greek yogurt, feta, olive oil, and dill
    http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=1687639

Also, a red cabbage salad with dates, almonds, and oranges:
    http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=1140621

Who needs a personal chef?? Not me, but a housekeeper would be great :laugh:
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    This is kind of off topic. But last night I was at the gym running my long run (I like to run it on the treadmill and watch TV :smile:) and watching the Miss Universe pageant. Of course all of those women have such skinny, toned body, IMO some of them are way too skinny, but some of them look healthy skinny. None of them looked super defined which is more my taste/goal - like Jillian Michaels or Gwen Stefani. I was just running and wondering what these girls eat and what kind of work outs they do. I wonder if they eat clean. I wonder if they take in enough calories.

I always used to read this book called the Secrets of Skinny Chicks -- it featured supposedly "everyday" women who managed to stay skinny and in tip top shape, and said how they did it, including what they ate and how they worked out on a typical day. The problem was that most of these women were professional, former, or aspiring models, actresses, beauty pageant contestants, athletes, etc... definitely not my definition of an "everyday" woman, because most of them got paid to look good, or wanted to, or used to, etc. That book used to be a big inspiration for me but now when I look at it, I realize it isn't in my goals, because most of the women eat low-fat, low-carb foods that have articificial sweeteners etc., and many of the women only eat about 1200 - 1400 calories a day, plus work out a lot, and I aim to keep my *net* calories at about 1200-1300 a day.

I guess what I'm wondering is, what are realistic goals for a truly "everyday" woman? I am an attorney with a busy job and I don't have kids but I like to spend a lot of time with my boyfriend and our pets... I am not the type to get so caught up in training or working out that I never see them or my friends, etc. I mainly eat clean, stick to 1200-1300 net calories, and I run or work out for about 45 minutes a day, with one rest day a week, and some of my runs are much longer, like an hour and a half for pace runs or long runs. (I am training for a half marathon). Is it realistic for me to want to acheive a super toned, cut, slim body? Do women have to starve themselves and spend all their time working out to reach those levels? I guess this is why I'm looking forward to doing P90X, I think that will probably get me in the best shape ever if I stick with it, and I also plan to keep up my running schedule, more or less.

I think it is very realistic to achieve a toned, lean, healthy body by eating clean and exercising without "killing" yourself. I am 45yrs old, 5'5", 125lbs, pretty lean and toned and that was achieved by eating healthy at least 80-90% of the time and exercising 5-7 days a week for about an hr. Yeah, sometimes I dont take a "rest" day because I just love the way exercise makes me feel and I dont feel drained, I have the energy to workout most days a week. I also vary my workouts. Now that I am doing P90X my workouts are longer because the program is like that, unfortunately. I have a husband, a son with autism, I work about 6-7 hrs 4 days a week and I have three dogs. I am also training for a half marathon. I eat out at least once a week, usually twice a week, and "cheat" at least once a week. So I am not telling you this to brag but to tell you that it is possible. I hope this helps. :flowerforyou:
  • neeterskeeter
    neeterskeeter Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    This is kind of off topic. But last night I was at the gym running my long run (I like to run it on the treadmill and watch TV :smile:) and watching the Miss Universe pageant. Of course all of those women have such skinny, toned body, IMO some of them are way too skinny, but some of them look healthy skinny. None of them looked super defined which is more my taste/goal - like Jillian Michaels or Gwen Stefani. I was just running and wondering what these girls eat and what kind of work outs they do. I wonder if they eat clean. I wonder if they take in enough calories.

I always used to read this book called the Secrets of Skinny Chicks -- it featured supposedly "everyday" women who managed to stay skinny and in tip top shape, and said how they did it, including what they ate and how they worked out on a typical day. The problem was that most of these women were professional, former, or aspiring models, actresses, beauty pageant contestants, athletes, etc... definitely not my definition of an "everyday" woman, because most of them got paid to look good, or wanted to, or used to, etc. That book used to be a big inspiration for me but now when I look at it, I realize it isn't in my goals, because most of the women eat low-fat, low-carb foods that have articificial sweeteners etc., and many of the women only eat about 1200 - 1400 calories a day, plus work out a lot, and I aim to keep my *net* calories at about 1200-1300 a day.

I guess what I'm wondering is, what are realistic goals for a truly "everyday" woman? I am an attorney with a busy job and I don't have kids but I like to spend a lot of time with my boyfriend and our pets... I am not the type to get so caught up in training or working out that I never see them or my friends, etc. I mainly eat clean, stick to 1200-1300 net calories, and I run or work out for about 45 minutes a day, with one rest day a week, and some of my runs are much longer, like an hour and a half for pace runs or long runs. (I am training for a half marathon). Is it realistic for me to want to acheive a super toned, cut, slim body? Do women have to starve themselves and spend all their time working out to reach those levels? I guess this is why I'm looking forward to doing P90X, I think that will probably get me in the best shape ever if I stick with it, and I also plan to keep up my running schedule, more or less.

I think it is very realistic to achieve a toned, lean, healthy body by eating clean and exercising without "killing" yourself. I am 45yrs old, 5'5", 125lbs, pretty lean and toned and that was achieved by eating healthy at least 80-90% of the time and exercising 5-7 days a week for about an hr. Yeah, sometimes I dont take a "rest" day because I just love the way exercise makes me feel and I dont feel drained, I have the energy to workout most days a week. I also vary my workouts. Now that I am doing P90X my workouts are longer because the program is like that, unfortunately. I have a husband, a son with autism, I work about 6-7 hrs 4 days a week and I have three dogs. I am also training for a half marathon. I eat out at least once a week, usually twice a week, and "cheat" at least once a week. So I am not telling you this to brag but to tell you that it is possible. I hope this helps. :flowerforyou:

It does help, thanks!! I looked at your pics and you are in great shape and look young. Thanks for the inspiration. :smile:
  • lilangel7671
    lilangel7671 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Hey all! Just checking in for the evening! I love all the posts-recipes are great! Thanks! I just made a personal pan pizza-whole wheat crust, cheese, chicken, spinach, pasta sauce, and mushrooms! Not the best eat :ohwell: but it sure was YUMMY!
    neeterskeeter-no before pics sorry, Honestly..I didn't think I would stick with it..haha! But this time I'm hooked and totally committed now:bigsmile: :heart: Truly my lifestyle is changing right before my eyes-and I am LOVING IT! WOOO! I do however have "befores" for ChaLean but I'm not even halfway yet!
    Hehe, Keep the posts coming girls!
  • hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Well I'm over by 300 cals or so.:grumble: No exercise yet either. I don't wan to get discouraged. I ordered the scale tonight!
  • SusieSonshine
    SusieSonshine Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! I've decided that I kinda wanna eat clean. What I mean by that is...I enjoy my wine, but I want to eat cleanly as much as possible. Can I just hop in here? I hope to learn a lot from you guys who have been eating cleanly for awhile.

Welcome!!! :flowerforyou:
  • csingleton24
    csingleton24 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'd love to join this thread/club! I started eating clean a few months ago and it really does work! I don't do it 24/7, I usually do it about 85% of the time. Weekends are my downfall! :cry: But I do believe in everything in moderation. If I am at a party and they have cake, then I have some. Not a big piece but a small satisfying piece. :smile:

I subscribe to CE mag as well and love the latest one! I plan on making the Monte Cristo and Salmon Corn Chowder next week. Anyways, just wanted to say hi and join in! Thanks!
  • neeterskeeter
    Options
    Hi singleton and welcome. I was just at CVS and saw a copy of Clean Eating... it had such delicious looking recipes that I bought it even though it was $6 and I *never* spend that much on a magazine!! I am trying to find interesting and yummy clean eating recipes that my boyfriend will enjoy eating with me. :smile:
  • re_define
    Options
    Hi singleton and welcome. I was just at CVS and saw a copy of Clean Eating... it had such delicious looking recipes that I bought it even though it was $6 and I *never* spend that much on a magazine!! I am trying to find interesting and yummy clean eating recipes that my boyfriend will enjoy eating with me. :smile:

The magazine is definitely not cheap but really worth it for the recipes and tips. Also check out their website online, there's even more ideas there :smile: My boyfriend who is pretty far from a healthy eater has been reading up on the past two months I have (I caved and got a subscription) and was telling me last night that we should definitely make some of the recipes in there. Yay!
  • bohrnarapp
    Options
    I'm in!
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Welcome to all the new members!! :drinker: :drinker: The more the merrier! :laugh:

I had my favorite breakfast: steel cut oats, walnuts, strawberries and chocolate whey protein. It makes me happy!! :happy:

I already planned two clean healthy snacks but I am going out to eat to a mexican restaurant with my co-workers to celebrate two birthdays. I was going to decline the invite as I usually do but one is my co-worker that I share the office with. And they are always complaining that I dont go out with them. So, I hope I can resist the junk which is most of it at a mexican restaurant. :noway: :laugh:

I am sure dinner will be light and healthy. So, one step at a time...

Have a great day!! :flowerforyou:
  • kelly_a
    kelly_a Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    tryin to read JM MM when i get a chance and on ch4 now. are my 100% whole grain oats ok or is steel cut better? my Triscuit box says whole wheat, soybean and/or palm oil, salt. then below all that it says BHT added to preserve freshness. i think i read where if it has more than 2 ingredients, don't eat it? thought all the healthIER foods i was eatin was ok, now i am thinking i am gonna have some challenges. told my dh that i wanted to start this, and he is ok with it....pretty sure he will not give up his nightly bowl of icecream :angry:

do any of you use the whey protein more than once a day?

thanks for all your comments and support...i am excited to de-junk my body! :bigsmile:
  • SusieSonshine
    SusieSonshine Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    tryin to read JM MM when i get a chance and on ch4 now. are my 100% whole grain oats ok or is steel cut better? my Triscuit box says whole wheat, soybean and/or palm oil, salt. then below all that it says BHT added to preserve freshness. i think i read where if it has more than 2 ingredients, don't eat it? thought all the healthIER foods i was eatin was ok, now i am thinking i am gonna have some challenges. told my dh that i wanted to start this, and he is ok with it....pretty sure he will not give up his nightly bowl of icecream :angry:

thanks for all your comments and support...i am excited to de-junk my body! :bigsmile:

In my family, we don't use whey because it's dairy, but we do use hemp protein powder (available at Trader Joe's and other fine stores! lol!), and put it in our smoothies whenever we make them. Most days, we have two smoothies--one fruit, and one to satisfy our chocolate ice cream desire (recipe on previous page of this thread).

Triscuit are definitely not a "clean" food, however, one step at a time! I used to really love Triscuit crackers!! I guess I haven't had one in yeeeeeeeeeeears! But I don't miss them either! BHT (as well as BHA) is a chemical preservative that never leaves your body, so it's best not to purchase foods with it in them.

All the best on your journey!!!

:flowerforyou:
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options

In my family, we don't use whey because it's dairy, but we do use hemp protein powder (available at Trader Joe's and other fine stores! lol!), and put it in our smoothies whenever we make them. Most days, we have two smoothies--one fruit, and one to satisfy our chocolate ice cream desire (recipe on previous page of this thread).

Triscuit are definitely not a "clean" food, however, one step at a time! I used to really love Triscuit crackers!! I guess I haven't had one in yeeeeeeeeeeears! But I don't miss them either! BHT (as well as BHA) is a chemical preservative that never leaves your body, so it's best not to purchase foods with it in them.

All the best on your journey!!!

:flowerforyou:

Good morning everyone!!
    Kelly I was at Whole Foods yesterday and noticed they have a whole foods version of triscuits. Do you have a WF nearby? I did not read the label since triscuits aren't my thing, but it might be clean(er).

Last night I before bed I was CRAVING a big fat piece of dark chocolate but resisted. This morning I did have my chocolate cherry smoothie though, with 1/2 oz. dark chocolate. Yummy!

It's so exciting to see all the new people--welcome!
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Welcome to all the new members!! :drinker: :drinker: The more the merrier! :laugh:

I had my favorite breakfast: steel cut oats, walnuts, strawberries and chocolate whey protein. It makes me happy!! :happy:

I already planned two clean healthy snacks but I am going out to eat to a mexican restaurant with my co-workers to celebrate two birthdays. I was going to decline the invite as I usually do but one is my co-worker that I share the office with. And they are always complaining that I dont go out with them. So, I hope I can resist the junk which is most of it at a mexican restaurant. :noway: :laugh:

I am sure dinner will be light and healthy. So, one step at a time...

Have a great day!! :flowerforyou:

I love Mexican too!! I try to get a grilled chicken salad (where we go it has boiled egg and avocado for your *good* fat) and a vinaigrette (I get it on the side). Watch out for the fajitas, one time I thought I was doing well ordering chicken fajitas but they were SWIMMING in oil!!! I use the fresh salsa as a dressing on the salad also and skip the chips! (but watch my dh and kids devour them! :laugh: ) Watch the refried beans, they fry in lard usually. Get a side of plain black beans instead. And don't get the margarita!! :laugh:
  • jessmomof3
    Options

I do buy the reduced fat Triscuits for my kids. They like them w/ some cheese in their lunches. Much better choice than the chips the other kids are all eating! :huh: I wish we had a TJ's close by, I checked and the nearest one is 2 1/2 hrs away! :sad:
  • neeterskeeter
    Options
    Hi everyone. I haven't been posting what I eat because I am so busy making it and eating it all the time that I never feel I get time for it! But I am going to try to start posting so that you guys can let me know how it looks. I'd appreciate anyone's input/advice and am specifically requesting yours, Jess. :)

This is what I ate/exercised yesterday:

8:30 am -
    1/2 cup Quaker plain oatmeal
    1/2 scoop chocolate whey protein powder
    3/4 cup skim milk
    1 tbsp ground cinnamon
    1 banana, chopped
    25 blueberries

10:30 am -
    1 cup Dannon plain nonfat yogurt
    10 blackberries
    25 almonds

12:30 pm -
    La Tortilla Factory low fat low carb whole wheat wrap
    2 oz grilled chicken tenderloin
    Mixed grilled peppers - jalapeno, green bell, serrano
    1 oz jalapeno gouda cheese

3 pm - Run
    Speed workout on treadmill at gym
    7 .25-mile speed intervals at 8:20 min per mi pace
    With .25-mile recovery intervals at 11:00 min per mi pace
    Plus warm-up and cool-down
    4 miles total

4:30 pm -
    20 grapes
    4 strawberries

6:30 pm -
    Salad (spinach, baby carrots, tomatoes, broccoli)
    With 2 oz chunk light tuna in water

9:30 pm-
    (I know, eating late, I had a massage after work :) and then had to run some errands)
    2.5 oz grilled chicken tenderloins
    3/4 cup fresh green beans
    1 tbsp pumpkin seeds
    1 vine-ripened tomato, grilled
    Sm amt melted shredded cheese

Beverages:
    2 cups black coffee
    Water - 8 glasses

I am still having a problem making sure my net calories are at least 1200. Yesterday I ate 1400 calories but burned off 450, so my net was only 950. :( My average net calories per day for the past week is at, like, 1160. (I usually have a "cheat" meal/day like last Saturday when I ate the Chicago pizza w/ my BF -- so then I try to balance it out the rest of the remaining week).

I guess I am not eating enough but I rarely feel hungry and when I do, I don't have any clean food around (even though I carry it around all the time!!) so I wait until I get home to eat all the stuff I've chopped and cooked etc.

I am going to start putting a little more into every meal -- ex., a whole scoop of protein powder instead of half a scoop (I used to not like the taste but now it's fine). Maybe eat some veggies along with the chicken or turkey wrap I usually have for lunch. Any other suggestions on how I can make sure I meet all my calorie requirements?
  • jessmomof3
    Options

Well, I have lost 70# and kept it off for over 4 yrs. I have 3 kids and I don't use that as an excuse NOT to work out. I've trained for a marathon, 4 half marathons, 2 sprints and an Olympic distance triathlon. I am also not a fan of the 1,200 cal diet that I see so many people here strive for. I don't think I've *ever* gone below 1,500 even on a rest day. I work out hard and I fuel my body. It is realistic to set goals for *yourself*. Don't compare yourself to ANYONE else. You are great just as you are. :flowerforyou: Just a little wisdom I've learned the hard way. I'm me, and I have to be happy with that. So I'll be the best *ME* that I can be. :bigsmile:
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Hi everyone. I haven't been posting what I eat because I am so busy making it and eating it all the time that I never feel I get time for it! But I am going to try to start posting so that you guys can let me know how it looks. I'd appreciate anyone's input/advice and am specifically requesting yours, Jess. :)

I am still having a problem making sure my net calories are at least 1200. Yesterday I ate 1400 calories but burned off 450, so my net was only 950. :( My average net calories per day for the past week is at, like, 1160. (I usually have a "cheat" meal/day like last Saturday when I ate the Chicago pizza w/ my BF -- so then I try to balance it out the rest of the remaining week).

I guess I am not eating enough but I rarely feel hungry and when I do, I don't have any clean food around (even though I carry it around all the time!!) so I wait until I get home to eat all the stuff I've chopped and cooked etc.

I am going to start putting a little more into every meal -- ex., a whole scoop of protein powder instead of half a scoop (I used to not like the taste but now it's fine). Maybe eat some veggies along with the chicken or turkey wrap I usually have for lunch. Any other suggestions on how I can make sure I meet all my calorie requirements?

Hey girl!! Funny how similar we eat!! It looks like you answered your own question. Maybe just a little more to each meal? And I would add in some protein after your workout, you just had carb. Your body needs a combo of carb and protein (and good run too, go girl! :bigsmile: ). Cottage cheese and fruit would be a good combo. Try eating 3-4oz meat (that will add 30 cals an ounce of chicken). Maybe add a tsp. of olive oil to your salad (40 cals) for good fat. You're eating great, just try to get in a little more!! :drinker:
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Hello!!! Eats so far today...

Pre-workout:
    Medium banana

Workout:
    Insanity Max Plyo - an hour of plyo intervals! Whew!!

Breakfast:
    1/2 c. old fashioned Quaker oats
    1/2 c. blueberries
    1/2 scoop choc. protein powder
    1 T. Naturally More PB, 1 T. ground flaxseed
    1/2 c. 2% cottage cheese