ITT: Ask me anything about losing weight..

Options

Replies

• Microfiber_wechange
    Options

Sorry ;0

Back looks good. Lots of good muscle. You just are storing a lot of fat on the front. There's really nothing you can do outside of continue to eat at a deficit, workout and lose weight. Fat is stored on different places for everyone. The only solution is fat loss.

Thanks for the compliment and thanks for the advice. I'll persevere :smile:
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I have been having the problem of staying full off of the calorie amount MFP says I need to be having each day. I've been at this for almost 2 months, and I think I've only come under my weekly calorie limit 2 or 3 times. Based on other website calculations and MFP, I should be having slightly less than 1500 cals/day to lose 1/2 lb. week. I've been drinking plenty of water, have tried splitting up my meals into 6 small meals throughout the day...it doesn't seem to be helping. I typically run 4 times a week at 3-6 miles each run. Should I be upping my limit or just keep trying to shoot for the 1500? Any recommendations from experienced MFP-ers? Thanks so much!

*Edit: forgot to mention that in my settings I selected 'sedentary' because I'm a grad student who studies/sits on my butt all day every day. Also my stats are 5'2" 144 lbs., if that helps at all.

My personal opinion on splitting up meals into smaller more frequent ones is that it makes me hungry faster. I'd rather eat larger, more satiating meals less frequently.

What are your goals? Are you losing weight doing this?

My goal is to lose anywhere from 1/2 lb - 1 lb/week. I've lost 3 lbs. so far, but that was back when I first started and haven't had any further weight loss in almost 3 weeks.

How accurate are you in logging your intake? Do you cheat? Do you eat meals where you cannot log them accurately? Do you drink?
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Everyone here are saying how important to eat back exersize calories, I cant wrap that around my head. Seems to me thats defeating the purpose of exersize,would like your opinion. Also I have a very bad back, can you recomend exersizes for my tummy that arent too hard. I do the treadmill 45 minutes and the illiptical 45 minutes everyday the only place I'm seeing a difference is in my legs,Hope you can help me.:sad:

As a general rule, I don't eat back my calories, but then again, I have a custom calorie/macro intake setup for my activity level which already factors in my expenditures. If I lose too much weight, I simply add calories or workout less. Either way, it influences the formula of weight loss.
  • grendella
    grendella Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    i am having a slow time to shred lbs! ive lost abour 1 lb a week up until this week. i am eating 1200 calories on days i train for roller derby (2 times a week) and 1500 on days i do weight lifting (2-3 times a week). i eat 1200 on my rest day, and then have a spike day at 3000 calories in according to spike 84. i am a big fan of leangains and eat stop eat. i try to practice intermitted fasting for at least 14-18 hours a day. sometimes this doesnt work, but i'd say im there 80% of the time. i also work in a kitchen so remain fairly active and on my feet at work. i broke down my macros according to both leangains and spike:

TDEE: 2264 (TOTAL WEEKLY CALORIES OUT: 15, 848) BMR: 1461 WEIGHT: 152lbs HEIGHT 165cm

lean gains:

weight lifting day: 1607
    rest day: 950
    protein: 119
    fat: 30
    carbs: 178 (weight day) / 51 (rest day)
    (1 607 * 3) + (950 * 3) + 3 000 = 10 671

spike 84:

high day: 1461
    rest: 1200 (961)
    spike: 3000
    carbs: 84 high day / 75 rest day
    fat: 77 high day / 33 rest day
    protein: 168 /high day 150 rest day
    (1 461 * 3) + (1 200 * 3) + 3 000 = 10 983

pretty simular. do you have any advice about how i can lose weight faster? i actually put. 4 lbs on last week :( and seem to be having a little stall. saw that you said earlier you never had one during your weight loss.
  • peachinator
    peachinator Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have been having the problem of staying full off of the calorie amount MFP says I need to be having each day. I've been at this for almost 2 months, and I think I've only come under my weekly calorie limit 2 or 3 times. Based on other website calculations and MFP, I should be having slightly less than 1500 cals/day to lose 1/2 lb. week. I've been drinking plenty of water, have tried splitting up my meals into 6 small meals throughout the day...it doesn't seem to be helping. I typically run 4 times a week at 3-6 miles each run. Should I be upping my limit or just keep trying to shoot for the 1500? Any recommendations from experienced MFP-ers? Thanks so much!

*Edit: forgot to mention that in my settings I selected 'sedentary' because I'm a grad student who studies/sits on my butt all day every day. Also my stats are 5'2" 144 lbs., if that helps at all.

My personal opinion on splitting up meals into smaller more frequent ones is that it makes me hungry faster. I'd rather eat larger, more satiating meals less frequently.

What are your goals? Are you losing weight doing this?

My goal is to lose anywhere from 1/2 lb - 1 lb/week. I've lost 3 lbs. so far, but that was back when I first started and haven't had any further weight loss in almost 3 weeks.

How accurate are you in logging your intake? Do you cheat? Do you eat meals where you cannot log them accurately? Do you drink?

Pretty accurately as far as I know; no, I don't cheat, even though when I slip it's painful to look at (lol). I rarely have the time to cook unique recipes and stuff so I wouldn't say my meals are hard to log accurately. I do drink on occasion, but haven't been lately due to wanting to lose weight, financial constraints and not a lot of time. I will say that I tend to stress eat, but I've been trying to be as mindful as I can about that. I've also noticed that I'll typically go under my calories one day, then over the next, then under the following etc. (I almost "zig-zag").
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Everyone here are saying how important to eat back exersize calories, I cant wrap that around my head. Seems to me thats defeating the purpose of exersize,would like your opinion. Also I have a very bad back, can you recomend exersizes for my tummy that arent too hard. I do the treadmill 45 minutes and the illiptical 45 minutes everyday the only place I'm seeing a difference is in my legs,Hope you can help me.:sad:

Sorry to jump in here, but people say to eat your exercise calories back because you already have a deficit built in if you use MFP. If you do not, you increase your deficit, which is not always a good thing.

The OP (I think) , and many others, suggest that you take your workout activity into account before you calculate your deficit. It is pretty much the same thing, but doing it the latter way is often easier.

But fundamentally, they are the same thing.

For example, you calculate your non-exercise TDEE at say 2,000, have a 500 calorie deficit for 1lb a week = 1500 goal. If you burn 500 calories exercising (there are problems though with calculating an accurate burn) - then you need to eat them back to stay at a 500 calorie deficit. So you eat 2,000 calories.

If you calculate your TDEE with exercise (including the 500 calorie burn) it is 2,500. Take off your 500 calorie defict = you eat 2,000 calories.
  • GetFitE
    GetFitE Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    **Bump** to continue reading later
  • eig6
    eig6 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options
    KUDOS to you for offering your help x

BUMP
  • chattipatty2
    chattipatty2 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Wow, first a personal trainer, now someone that knows about dieting! Are we lucky or what?
    My question is simple. I switched from butter to I cant believe its not butter. Love the taste, but is there anything better as far as cals/nutrient that you like the taste of that I could compare?
  • Microfiber_wechange
    Options
    continue to eat at a deficit

Was going to ask what this meant actually but found it here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/220142-what-is-a-calorie-deficit

Is it accurate? Someone on that thread said, "It means how many more calories you should be eating. It is the calories you are 'short'" so basically I should eat all my calories including exercise calories?

Does it matter if the fat or protein go over but you still have some calories left? Thank you :smile:
  • chattipatty2
    Options
    One more question, what do you think about the Detour low sugar protein bars, in a pinch at least?
  • LaurnWhit
    LaurnWhit Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Bump:drinker:
  • katiekatelin
    Options
    once you lose the weight you want should you keep the same habits and what was your motivation?
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    Thanks for putting yourself out there! I'm most excited because you are the first "lean gainer" I have found on MFP =)

I just recently started heavy lifting using NROLFW... I'm lifting about 12:30 pm MWF, do u think I should jump in on this fasted right away? And what BCAAs are u taking? I believe LGs recommends a 10 hour window for women ( I used to do this daily, but have gotten out of the habit)..

Thanks ahead of time for your reply =)
  • chattipatty2
    Options
    This is me from the back
    Bigbelly004.jpg

And me, from the front
    Bigbelly001.jpg

I've drastically changed my diet and I workout 6 days a week. I've recently gone for blood tests just to omit anything medical but is there anything you can advise me.

Thank you.
    crunch, crunch, crunch, V-ups, planks, squats.Circuit training/ Core and Strength classes
  • hypersensitiveb
    hypersensitiveb Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I've been at a plateau for about 6-8 weeks now. So far I've lost 15 lbs, and and want to lose another 10 by June 1st. Each week I see the same 2 lbs (157-159). I am 40, calories now are upped to 1580 for the last 3 weeks, work out 5 day's a week at 4-5 miles walking/jogging and twice a week yoga. I usually eat back most of my exercise calories. so what gives..... thanks in advance!

Likely you are under-estimating your intake of calories. That is the #1 reason for plateau's IMO. Might I suggest using a digital scale and weighing all of your portions? If it's a solid, don't use a volume measurement. Use weight. (assuming you already don't do this)..Double check the math on everything you log to ensure that the macros add up to the calorie intake.

Ok this is where I get confused half the people who say they plateau are told to eat more that there starving there self. Then I hear this advice given by many also. I'm starting to slow down on my weight loss and want to get it back up again. I was convinced I may need to eat more not that I'm more active but maybe its I'm getting less accurate counting calories and should eat less? I was on a 1200 calorie , my BMR is 1374 , my mat weight at my goal weight is 1850, and if I bump my self up to active like I did today its 1490. I'm 37 and currently 151.6 GW 130 SW 170 in January.
    Thanks and congrats on your loss
  • Missi3601
    Missi3601 Posts: 264
    Options
    Bump- I'd like to follow along.

Congrats on your amazing acomplishments!
  • Microfiber_wechange
    Options

crunch, crunch, crunch, V-ups, planks, squats.Circuit training/ Core and Strength classes

Thank you. I've done Insanity 3 times (just finished 3rd one today) and I'm on round 2 20-weeks turbofire :sad:
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    bump to read later