Why do I feel like CRAP on low carbs?

Options

Replies

• DoctorKyrina
    DoctorKyrina Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I always find it amusing that the low carb fanatics also happen to be government conspiracy theorists. It seems everytime there's a carb debate, there's always at least one anti-carber who gets into the whole "evil government conspiracy to force feed us unhealthy food" nonsense. I wonder if that's what Acg means by cognitive issues...

I think there seems to be a connection to fanaticism and conspiracy theories in general. The traits seem to go along with each other. I certainly won't defend the conspiracy theory type thinking. I would like to point out thought that while such people are louder than the rest of people, I politely ask they not be used as a representation of people doing low carb (I'm not saying you are, but it's easy to get distracted in these sort of threads)

I'm doing low carb, but also know it's not the best thing for everyone. It may not even be the best thing for me, but I feel it's worth a try for awhile as I've had problems sticking to other plans (including moderation). It's a tool, and not to be insulted or lauded for perfection. I will neither lose my ability to do physical activity or think, nor will I gain magical levels of health. I'll just be me and perhaps a bit smaller.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    I can only speak from personal experience but I ate 50-120g carbs a day for about 2 months, with a calorie intake of maybe 1200cals. The latter I didn't realise I was doing until I recorded it on MFP and have since increased my intake as it is not in tune with my fitness goals. Initially, I was tired and my breath tasted funny. I didn't have issues with being hungry (just ate more protein if I felt hungry) plus I was eating more frequently.

I didn't notice any decrease in my ability to judge risk (I am involved daily in financial risk, I climb and I lift heavy weights - no adverse outcomes have been experienced in any of these arenas), critical thinking (in fact, I might even suggest it sharpened my ability to tear apart someone's argument) nor perform physical activities (I had increased my cardio work for a start).

My "addiction" to carbs has proven to be non-existent. I used to eat 8-10 25g bags of crisps a day about two years ago, reduced it to 1-2 six months ago through choice although did creep up to 3 bags occasionally... now 1 or 2 a week after weights for salt and carb reasons. Yes, bad carbs, so what? I wonder if we have an "addiction" simply because we feel compelled to eat carbs with meat and vegetables as our parents taught us to. It feels naughty to just eat a lump of meat on its own.

I am not sure where I am going with this post but just thought it was an interesting experience especially for those looking to lose weight (which I did).
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I always find it amusing that the low carb fanatics also happen to be government conspiracy theorists. It seems everytime there's a carb debate, there's always at least one anti-carber who gets into the whole "evil government conspiracy to force feed us unhealthy food" nonsense. I wonder if that's what Acg means by cognitive issues...

It's not a conspiracy theory. I actually had the opportunity to meet with one of the head researchers from the USDA as she's an alum from my department. I asked about the corn subsidization and its link to obesity and the early food pyramid. She agreed with me and we discussed the new farm law that's waiting to be voted on, which would end subsidization to big farms growing these crops. The initial farm law was proposed to help small farmers during the depression--pay them to grow certain crops. Now it's funding commercial farms, instead, because they can grow so much. Now I certainly wouldn't go so far as to say the government is trying to make us sick. This was just an unforeseeable result....corn is hardy and cheap and goes in pretty much everything. Corn syrup is metabolized differently from pure sugar because it's high in fructose. No conspiracies, it's just what happens.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options

*Also, i need to qualify 'glucose is the only source' with 'relatively readily available'. plus, as songbyrd says, glucose is made from ketones. i don't know if the ketones themselves cross to the brain or if the glucose needs to be constructed first - songbyrd will know.

You've activated my nerd button. I'm gonna have to find out if ketones cross the blood brain barrier. I'm pretty sure they do, but I'm not 100% positive. It's possible the astrocytes make ketones from some precursor molecule that crosses. I will find out for sure, just because I'm curious.

Ketones are made into glucose in the liver. It's the only site of gluconeogenesis. Ketones can be converted to Krebs cycle intermediates.
  • dragonsheart84
    Options
    I tried to do the lower carb thing for a while. My body went into a sort of hibernation and didn't lose weight. When I started adding back the carbs, I started losing weight again. If you think this is right for your body continue but it isn't for everyone's body. You shouldn't make yourself sick trying to lose weight. That is your body telling you that what you are doing isn't right for it. I actually lowered my meat intake, uped my carbs, fruits and veggies with added protein and I started losing again. Everyone has their own opinion on what worked for them so trial and error I guess.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

It's not a conspiracy theory. I actually had the opportunity to meet with one of the head researchers from the USDA as she's an alum from my department. I asked about the corn subsidization and its link to obesity and the early food pyramid. She agreed with me and we discussed the new farm law that's waiting to be voted on, which would end subsidization to big farms growing these crops. The initial farm law was proposed to help small farmers during the depression--pay them to grow certain crops. Now it's funding commercial farms, instead, because they can grow so much. Now I certainly wouldn't go so far as to say the government is trying to make us sick. This was just an unforeseeable result....corn is hardy and cheap and goes in pretty much everything. Corn syrup is metabolized differently from pure sugar because it's high in fructose. No conspiracies, it's just what happens.
    That's exactly my point. But there are plenty of low carb "fanatics" (Low Carb Taliban according to Martin from Leangains) that insist that carbs are some evil government conspiracy to kill off all the human race.
  • stargazer008
    Options
    Obviously because your body DEPENDS on GLUCOSE! The brains only runs on glucose not bloody protein like you low carbers seem to think. Carbs aren't the devil. People are just so uneducated these days.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Obviously because your body DEPENDS on GLUCOSE! The brains only runs on glucose not bloody protein like you low carbers seem to think. Carbs aren't the devil. People are just so uneducated these days.

The brain can run on ketones. It prefers glucose, but is not 100% dependent on it.
  • isazzzz
    isazzzz Posts: 95
    Options
    I don't understand the 'low carb' diet thing.

I agree, people eat too much white enriched crap. Get that out of your diet - I will COMPLETELY support that.

However, fruits and veggies have carbs. If I eat 4 celery stalks, 1 carrot and 1 apple in a day (those are my snacks for next week) that is 44 carbs right there. No one can tell me that my fruits and veggies are bad for me. Also, I dont see the problem with whole grains in the forms of multigrain/multiseeds breads, whole wheat pasta, wheat cous cous - Etc.

I think a lot of people have the wrong idea -=shurgs=- I also do not believe it is sustainable in anyway.

Totally agree with this! Carbs are NOT evil. Make sure you're taking in the right kind of carbs, complex carbs. They comes from fruits, vegetables, yogurt, quinoa... These carbs are good. The evil/bad carbs are refined carbs! White rice, white bread, pasta, sugary breakfast cereals... Too much of these carbs will cause weight gain.

Bottomline: Avoid refined carbs and get your carbs in the right places!
  • ChrisGoldn
    ChrisGoldn Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    LMAO

I love how many people think they are experts on Health and Nutrition on this site! Fact, is 90% of the people on here have no idea what's truth and whats a lie. Some People can handle low carb diets, others can't just like everything else in this world. Some can handle peanuts while others can't.

Personally i did a "low carb" diet for 6 months. Consumed never more then 100g of carbs in any given day over those 6 months. Most days it never even reached 75. Wasnt ever moody, or felt like crap, or anything. Since losing most of the weight i set to goal, i've upped my carb intake to 175g, stil most days i'm around 100-125g.

You have to test your body and see if you can handle the low carb diet... It may not work for you. It may. That's my advice for the OP

Too many people on here think they have Doctorate in Nutrition. too funny
  • isazzzz
    isazzzz Posts: 95
    Options
    LMAO

I love how many people think they are experts on Health and Nutrition on this site! Fact, is 90% of the people on here have no idea what's truth and whats a lie. Some People can handle low carb diets, others can't just like everything else in this world. Some can handle peanuts while others can't.

Personally i did a "low carb" diet for 6 months. Consumed never more then 100g of carbs in any given day over those 6 months. Most days it never even reached 75. Wasnt ever moody, or felt like crap, or anything. Since losing most of the weight i set to goal, i've upped my carb intake to 175g, stil most days i'm around 100-125g.

You have to test your body and see if you can handle the low carb diet... It may not work for you. It may. That's my advice for the OP

Too many people on here think they have Doctorate in Nutrition. too funny

People here are just trying their best to give advice based on their personal experiences. Nobody is shoving their advice down the OP's throat. It is after all, the OP's decision to make on which advice she decides to take. Yes, we are not qualified but we sure are entitled to share our own experiences so as to let the OP gain deeper insight on this issue.
  • classyhoney
    classyhoney Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I watch my carbs but I have oatmeal or 1 cup of honey nut cheeros with almond milk for breakfast. If I must have carbs (bread, pasta) it's whole wheat and I have it at least 8 hours before I plan on going to bed and always before my workouts because it gives your body more time to burn off the carbs throughout the day.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    popcorn.gif
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    just started doing low carb since yesterday and I seriously felt like CRAP!! is it because my body is so used to eating alot of carbs like whole grain bread/wheat cereal/brown rice..? I am aiming for under 50 carbs and high protein with cardio to lose weight.. is this just how you feel in the beginning but eventually your body adapts?

Yes, that's exactly what it is. Happened to me the first time I tried low-carb. Odd as it sounds, try drinking a cup or two of chicken or beef broth--NOT low-sodium--a day for a few days. Your body is excreting a lot of sodium, and this will help. You do eventually adjust. Or you can try reducing your carbs more gradually until you get to your target, and that helps too.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    I eat high protein low carbs and haven`t noticed any crap days.

Some carbs are good I havent got a problem with them..I just find high protein helps me lose weight and makes me feel better.

Serotonin (happy hormone) has nothing at all to do with low carb diets.....take this from a psychologist!!!

High protein feeds muscles etc etc lots of threads on this.

Eating clean is more the way to go no processed foods

editing to add eat fat too!!!

well you're NO ENDOCRINOLOGIST and being a psychologist doesn't give you the credentials necessary to claim that serotonin and carbohydrate levels are mutually exclusive. Do a bit of research before disseminating such information please.

And I quote..."Wurtman, director of the Program in Women's Health at the MIT Clinical Research Center, and colleagues have found that when you stop eating carbohydrates, your brain stops regulating serotonin, a chemical that elevates mood and suppresses appetite. And only carbohydrate consumption naturally stimulates production of serotonin."

http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2004/carbs.html
  • ChrisGoldn
    ChrisGoldn Posts: 473 Member
    Options

well you're NO ENDOCRINOLOGIST and being a psychologist doesn't give you the credentials necessary to claim that serotonin and carbohydrate levels are mutually exclusive. Do a bit of research before disseminating such information please.

And I quote..."Wurtman, director of the Program in Women's Health at the MIT Clinical Research Center, and colleagues have found that when you stop eating carbohydrates, your brain stops regulating serotonin, a chemical that elevates mood and suppresses appetite. And only carbohydrate consumption naturally stimulates production of serotonin."

http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2004/carbs.html

Once again... While this is correct.... We are NOT talking about STOPPING carbs altogether... {{{{LOW Carb}}}}} dieting... Again, some people can handle 100-150g a day, some can not. End result is you have to test your body and see if you can handle it!
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    popcorn.gif

Mmmmmmmmm ... Popcorn. Delicious!! :bigsmile:
  • IHeartNewMe
    IHeartNewMe Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    It will pass....I did low carb,lost about 70 lbs and actually felt great.But its so hard to stick to long term.Not to mention gets expensive, especially with todays prices.But the crappy feeling will pass....
    What makes it more expensive?

I agree with your question, Chood, and would like to know myself? When I was 300 lbs. plus, I had diabetes, diabetic retinopathy leading to 4 laser surgeries in my right eye, high blood pressure, border-line hypertension, not to mention I was always sick, had no energy and felt tired all the time. I was spending tons of money on eating out and buying snacks that were only adding to my unhealthy lifestyle and never exercised. Now, I have been on a low carb diet since Jan. 25, 2011 and have lost almost 110 lbs.. Most of that time I have eaten 25 grams of carbs (incidental) or lower a day without feeling deprived. I am paying a minimal monthly fee to a Dr. supervised weight loss program right now until I take off the next 30 lbs. and start living life in the wonderful world of maintenance where I will increase my healthy carb intake per day and be able to eat unlimited fruits and veggies. My health has been closely monitored during the entire time. My body, mood, clarity and overall health has only improved as I continue to get green lights from my Dr's. I don't spend money buying unhealthy junk food, eating out or paying expensive Dr visit fees, not to mention the $$$ I was paying for prescriptions. I'm actually saving money, because the road I was going down would have ended up being more expensive if I ended up in the hospital or not being able to work.

Nutritional science is discovering that carbohydrate restriction is proving to be successful in the treatment in obesity for many people. I can personally attest to this, as this low carb way of eating has worked for me. I am not here to tell anybody this way of eating is the only thing that works, I just know that I have read the studies that suggest it is a healthy way for people to quickly and safely take weight off of their body, especially those who are obese to morbidly obese and experiencing medical issues because of it. However, I would not suggest participating in any type of eating program without the advice of their doctor or a doctor who knows nutrition.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    popcorn.gif

Mmmmmmmmm ... Popcorn. Delicious!! :bigsmile:

Don't eat any! Popcorn has carbs and carbs make you fat!