Which exercise do you do first? Cardio or strength training?

Options

Replies

• rjo921
    rjo921 Posts: 130
    Options
    I switch it up, one day I start with cardio, the next time start with strength.... I stretch before doing anything always! Iv'e been told to switch up your workout routine that way?? idk

Normally I have been doing cardio first and then strength....but today I tried the strength first and then the cardio....for me I burned more via cardio and had more endurance to muddle through cardio. It really is all up to what you are comfortable in doing. :smile:
  • wk9t
    wk9t Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Most people recommend doing the strength first and cardio after.

I do the cardio first myself. 20 minutes of intense cardio on the elliptical or rowing machine then 45-60 of weight training. I like to make sure I'm really warmed up and the blood is pumping before I start lifting. 36 years old and want to make sure I don't injure myself. Have not noticed a difference in strength doing it this way.

/\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\

This! I am 64 and I really need that warmup to prevent any injuries. I do 15 min of cardio and 45 - 60 min of weight training.
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I do a cardio warm-up for about 5 minutes...about an hour of weights..then 15 minutes of interval training...
  • jennieth
    jennieth Posts: 105
    Options
    My trainer has me do 45 mins of cardio first thing in the morning before breakfast. I then go back later in the day and do a 10 min warm up of cardio then 60 mins of weights.
  • RmYWarrioR
    RmYWarrioR Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I normally strength train to start the day and then mix in between 1 to 3 cardio workouts. My wife and I do a rotation of Insanity, 30 Day Shred, Elliptical trainer and we have just recently started a walk/run regimin of interval training. We have both seen some great results.
  • nikkijoshua
    nikkijoshua Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I've read recent recommendations to do strength first, but I pretty much do whichever one I feel like doing first on that day if I'm doing cardio and strength on the same day. Most of my workouts that include both are circuit workouts alternating cardio and strength so it's not something I usually have to consider.
  • adamb83
    adamb83 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I've been told the first workout should be the one you care about the most (the results you're most seeking) because your first workout will be your best one.

Sometimes, I do Cardio first because I'm in an "I need to blast a bunch of calories" mode. Sometimes I do sterngth first because I'm in an "I need to build muscle!" mode.

I should point out, though, that if you are trying to build muscle/tone up - most of the reading I've come across says that the best time to strength train is in the afternoon/early evening. SO... that would leave mornings for Cardio. At least in my schedule.
  • angelapolite
    Options
    BUMP
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i've started doing complexes as warm up to my strength training. so i grab a 10 pound weight plate and do 2 rounds of the following (6 reps) : overhead squats, swings, upright row, reverse lunge with twist, reverse wood chops.

this gets my heart pumping and my muscles warmed for the strength training
  • Seanb_us
    Seanb_us Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Now I read this:
    http://healthnews.ediets.com/fitness-exercise/ask-raphael-cardio-or-weights-first.html

You should do weights before cardio...UGH...

So, what if my target is 114-148, and I regularly exercise at about 155-160 but 7-8 RPE (shortness of breath http://healthnews.ediets.com/fitness-exercise/ask-raphael-cardio-or-weights-first.html)? What's wrong with going a wee bit over?

Cheers.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Another reason you would do strength training first if you are doing both in the same session is you will probably be able to concentrate better at the beginning of the session and you need to think about your form. You shouldn't ever do cardio mindlessly, but running on a treadmill or using the elliptical requires less attention than lifting heavy free weights.

Many people do a brief cardio warmup (5 to 10 minutes) before they lift.
  • Seanb_us
    Options
    Okay. Great thread. My thoughts.

I do 45 minutes of cardio first, usually an elliptical on a high resistance. 15 minutes of this is to get my heart rate up. 30 minutes is to burn calories.

Then I do 30 minutes of weights. I do four reps of the most I can handle, 75% of the time machines. I figure I might be tired, because of the cardio, but I will lift the heaviest weights I can and this will make me stronger.

Occasionally, I will end with 15 minutes on the treadmill or 30 on a crosstraining elliptical.

Does that seem like a good plan?

Cheers,

Sean
  • MsQt
    MsQt Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I do strength training for an hour first and then cardio for an hour!
  • angelapolite
    Options
    I just got done with my workout, doing weights first for 30 minutes, then cardio (HIIT) for another 30 minutes.

I feel awesome doing it this way!
  • hbody2012
    Options
    yes, I tried it several times and by time I was training I couldnt give my 100%. My trainer does hours of cardio and it great to do either way. It was works for you. She also see the difference in me during session. I gonna start doing kickboxing, and zumba for the extra cardio.
  • angelapolite
    Options
    Another reason you would do strength training first if you are doing both in the same session is you will probably be able to concentrate better at the beginning of the session and you need to think about your form. You shouldn't ever do cardio mindlessly, but running on a treadmill or using the elliptical requires less attention than lifting heavy free weights.

Many people do a brief cardio warmup (5 to 10 minutes) before they lift.

I agree
  • Coombester
    Options
    Nooooo!
    The reason you are supposed to do cardio AFTER high intensity workouts (such as weight training) is because the high intensity workouts release fats into the bloodstream, the lower impact cardio afterwards then burns the fats that are released into the system (otherwise most of them stay in the body and are restored as fat).

It's just the most effective way to burn the most fat is why (there's no harm done if you do it the other way, it's just less effective).

So, warm up properly (could be on a cardio machine for 5-10mins)
    Do your weights/ high intensity workout
    Follow up with medium/ low intensity cardio
    Stretch!

Et voila
    Claire
    London
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Nooooo!
    The reason you are supposed to do cardio AFTER high intensity workouts (such as weight training) is because the high intensity workouts release fats into the bloodstream, the lower impact cardio afterwards then burns the fats that are released into the system (otherwise most of them stay in the body and are restored as fat).

It's just the most effective way to burn the most fat is why (there's no harm done if you do it the other way, it's just less effective).

Stretch!

Et voila
    Claire
    London

What? Study that confirms this?
  • Seanb_us
    Options
    I generally do cardio first. But Google knows of some reasons not to, such as this http://www.builtlean.com/2011/11/07/cardio-before-or-after-weights.
  • chuisle
    chuisle Posts: 1,052 Member
    Options
    Nooooo!

Stretch!

Et voila
    Claire
    London

What? Study that confirms this?

Agree....never heard of this. Sounds bogus to me.