ladies is he being a jerk or gentleman???

Options
DavetheHYNIC
DavetheHYNIC Posts: 318 Member
Your significant other( someone who you have been dating exclusively for a year) ask you to attend a popular event In your area and he says to you " I really need you looking your best my ex girlfriend always attends this event and I know she is going to be there and I know she is going to be dressed up" would you feel like he is being a jerk or would you feel that is a good heads up cause its not something you would normally get particularly dressed up and made up to attend?????

Replies

• ket_the_jet
    ket_the_jet Posts: 1,257 Member
    Options
    I don't know how you would confuse that with gentlemanly. That may be the most insulting thing I've ever read on the internet.
    -wtk
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    I don't know how you would confuse that with gentlemanly. That may be the most insulting thing I've ever read on the internet.
    -wtk

This.
  • hikezilla
    hikezilla Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Obviously a man is never right, and it would be better for everyone if we'd just shut up and go fishing.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    I think I would suddenly have a hair appointment during that particular event.
  • LovingLisa2012
    LovingLisa2012 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    -wtk

deff this

why the bleep would a "man" care about his freakin ex
    that would make me not go ..period
  • Princessbrene
    Princessbrene Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Not cool. Why? Because I don't have the need to be compared to ANY other woman. Especially not an ex.
  • hartsell72
    Options
    Maybe the intention wasnt mean..but the way it was said was Horrible!
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Jerk. What you should say is something like "we're going to this event and I just want to forewarn you that my ex girlfriend may be there. I want you to know in case she comes up to us and starts talking."

Your relationship with your ex is over, or should be. Does it really matter what she thinks or who looks hotter?
  • AngieJoy81
    AngieJoy81 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    He could have given you the heads up without telling you to " look your best"! It just sounds really bad. Yes, this would put my husband in the doghouse.
  • rc630
    rc630 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    It would be rude for him to tell her to look nice, because not only does that imply that she doesn't normally look presentable enough, but might might also indicate that he is trying to impress the ex by using the current girlfriend.

Much better solution would be to say "just a heads up, ______ might be there," just so she isn't caught off guard seeing her.
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    -wtk
    exactly. that's absolutely rude. I'd get the impression that you were using me to try to impress or get back at the ex... not that you were trying to "give me a heads up."
  • LifeOnMars_
    LifeOnMars_ Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Sounds like he is trying to make his ex jealous to me or something else no so nice. He is def not being a gentleman.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Your significant other( someone who you have been dating exclusively for a year) ask you to attend a popular event In your area and he says to you " I really need you looking your best my ex girlfriend always attends this event and I know she is going to be there and I know she is going to be dressed up" would you feel like he is being a jerk or would you feel that is a good heads up cause its not something you would normally get particularly dressed up and made up to attend?????
    How can you pretend this is just a "heads up" for her when you admit right there that it's for your own benefit? Please. You want to use your current girlfriend to make your ex-girlfriend jealous. That insults the current girlfriend and makes it clear that you're still pretty invested in what the ex thinks.

There's no way I would dress up to outshine anyone's ex. It's childish and petty, and really insecure. I am confident enough in myself to be comfortable meeting anyone, no matter if she happened to be more dressed up than I am or not.

Also, how do you know your ex is going to be there, and how do you know what she's wearing? Sounds like you are way too interested in her if you ask me.
  • danifo0811
    danifo0811 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    To me it would be more insulting if he said he didn't want you to go because she'd be there ;)

To me it depends what he ie normally like. I've had friends who aren't told the ex will be somewhere and are mad their boyfriend / husband didn't say anything. If he is always concerned about how perfect you look I'd be concerned. Otherwise I'd say he is giving you a heads up just maybe lacking tact :)
  • Shaneekwa
    Shaneekwa Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    JERK!! For him to say I need you to look your best is insulting as if she doesn't know how to dress when at certain events. I think my man would have been walking around looking like a raccoon because he would have been popped for saying some ish like that
  • LifeOnMars_
    LifeOnMars_ Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    How can you pretend this is just a "heads up" for her when you admit right there that it's for your own benefit? Please. You want to use your current girlfriend to make your ex-girlfriend jealous. That insults the current girlfriend and makes it clear that you're still pretty invested in what the ex thinks.

There's no way I would dress up to outshine anyone's ex. It's childish and petty, and really insecure. I am confident enough in myself to be comfortable meeting anyone, no matter if she happened to be more dressed up than I am or not.

Also, how do you know your ex is going to be there, and how do you know what she's wearing? Sounds like you are way too interested in her if you ask me.

This
  • RachelsReboot
    RachelsReboot Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I'll take the guys side on this one, this is a heads up, look if you run into the ex and you are introduced for some reason, YOU want to look your best. Hasn't anyone been there before? I sure have, was out running errands in a t-shirt and some jeans and ran into my guys ex at the store and she was just getting off work and was in a suit and heels. I felt like crap afterwards because she didn't get an opportunity to see his upgrade. Because I was caught off guard I didn't have my best foot forward and you only get one chance to make the first impression. Call me whatever you want but I'd like the opportunity to knock it home and show her that he's got quite a catch. If you go and aren't looking your best and he didn't tell you that you might run into her, what's going to be the first thing out of your mouth? "Why didn't you tell me she was going to be there!" Your going to follow that up with knocking him upside the head and then mumbling to yourself for days about how you wished you;d have been wearing this or that, or that you'd fixed your hair or touched up your makeup.
  • AmandaJ1957
    Options
    "I need you to look your best" is an insult. It's all about you.

"I better warn you that my ex" [facial expression of slight disgust] "will probably be there. She always goes. Dressed to the nines." [Roll the eyes.] is a warning, and very welcome.
  • JeepBrah
    JeepBrah Posts: 150
    Options
    lol thats the most beta thing ive ever heard strong insecurity
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I'll take the guys side on this one, this is a heads up, look if you run into the ex and you are introduced for some reason, YOU want to look your best. Hasn't anyone been there before? I sure have, was out running errands in a t-shirt and some jeans and ran into my guys ex at the store and she was just getting off work and was in a suit and heels. I felt like crap afterwards because she didn't get an opportunity to see his upgrade. Because I was caught off guard I didn't have my best foot forward and you only get one chance to make the first impression. Call me whatever you want but I'd like the opportunity to knock it home and show her that he's got quite a catch. If you go and aren't looking your best and he didn't tell you that you might run into her, what's going to be the first thing out of your mouth? "Why didn't you tell me she was going to be there!" Your going to follow that up with knocking him upside the head and then mumbling to yourself for days about how you wished you;d have been wearing this or that, or that you'd fixed your hair or touched up your makeup.
    Why do you feel the need to impress his ex at all? Who cares what her first impression is? And thinking of yourself as an "upgrade", that's just vulgar.