ladies is he being a jerk or gentleman???

Options

Replies

• onedayillbeamilf
    onedayillbeamilf Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    If it were me I might give her the warning that she might be seeing my ex, but personally I think my girlfriend always looks amazing no matter what. I think if you truly feel that way then you won't be able to take your eyes off your girlfriend and the ex will most likely notice that.... I'm guessing that is what will make her the most jealous.

Very well said!!!!!
  • luvgreen25
    luvgreen25 Posts: 202
    Options
    I'm just wondering where to get this book is that tells people the right way to say things as to not insult anyone else? Good, bad, or indifferent...people think and speak differently from one person to the next. Chances are - if you told your boyfriend that the way he said that was insulting to you, he may not have even thought of it like that. I've been guilty of this myself, but once it was pointed out to me, I heard it from that persons perspective and changed my wording to say what I really meant.
  • Helenatrandom
    Helenatrandom Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    I'll take the guys side on this one, this is a heads up, look if you run into the ex and you are introduced for some reason, YOU want to look your best. Hasn't anyone been there before? I sure have, was out running errands in a t-shirt and some jeans and ran into my guys ex at the store and she was just getting off work and was in a suit and heels. I felt like crap afterwards because she didn't get an opportunity to see his upgrade. Because I was caught off guard I didn't have my best foot forward and you only get one chance to make the first impression. Call me whatever you want but I'd like the opportunity to knock it home and show her that he's got quite a catch. If you go and aren't looking your best and he didn't tell you that you might run into her, what's going to be the first thing out of your mouth? "Why didn't you tell me she was going to be there!" Your going to follow that up with knocking him upside the head and then mumbling to yourself for days about how you wished you;d have been wearing this or that, or that you'd fixed your hair or touched up your makeup.

When I return from fishing I think this ^^^ is what he meant. No kudos for how it was said; however.

Let me translate in testosterone-ese. You are hot, I want you to be with me there because I am proud of you, and I want it to be plainly obvious that you are an upgrade.

Me, I would have suggested my favorite dress to my wife, or invited her out to go shopping for the event. I would have also suggested my favorite perfume etc. by saying I love it when you wear this and or that. It's never easy to tell someone your ex is going to be there. The good news for me is that I got such an awesome upgrade that even in a t and sweats she wins hands down. :)

In the defense of all tactless men, there is no way to answer the question, "do I look fat in the dress?"
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    Sorry. I'm picturing that "deer in the headlights" look my husband used to get that first year we were married and we'd be going out and I'd ask that... So cute... His consistent answer was... "I.... I..... I.... love you.....". I have since learned to ask which dress he likes me best in... :bigsmile:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I'm just wondering where to get this book is that tells people the right way to say things as to not insult anyone else? Good, bad, or indifferent...people think and speak differently from one person to the next. Chances are - if you told your boyfriend that the way he said that was insulting to you, he may not have even thought of it like that. I've been guilty of this myself, but once it was pointed out to me, I heard it from that persons perspective and changed my wording to say what I really meant.

I think that common sense goes a long way. And respect for others' feelings.
  • rachel5576
    rachel5576 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Maybe the intention wasnt mean..but the way it was said was Horrible!

Probably this. I know my hubby can say some dumb stuff but his intentions were good. You didnt tell us if you know his ex or if you are intimidated by her. He may just be giving you he heads up so you are prepared.
  • kleonarski
    Options
    I'll take the guys side on this one, this is a heads up, look if you run into the ex and you are introduced for some reason, YOU want to look your best. Hasn't anyone been there before? I sure have, was out running errands in a t-shirt and some jeans and ran into my guys ex at the store and she was just getting off work and was in a suit and heels. I felt like crap afterwards because she didn't get an opportunity to see his upgrade. Because I was caught off guard I didn't have my best foot forward and you only get one chance to make the first impression. Call me whatever you want but I'd like the opportunity to knock it home and show her that he's got quite a catch. If you go and aren't looking your best and he didn't tell you that you might run into her, what's going to be the first thing out of your mouth? "Why didn't you tell me she was going to be there!" Your going to follow that up with knocking him upside the head and then mumbling to yourself for days about how you wished you;d have been wearing this or that, or that you'd fixed your hair or touched up your makeup.

When I return from fishing I think this ^^^ is what he meant. No kudos for how it was said; however.

Let me translate in testosterone-ese. You are hot, I want you to be with me there because I am proud of you, and I want it to be plainly obvious that you are an upgrade.

Me, I would have suggested my favorite dress to my wife, or invited her out to go shopping for the event. I would have also suggested my favorite perfume etc. by saying I love it when you wear this and or that. It's never easy to tell someone your ex is going to be there. The good news for me is that I got such an awesome upgrade that even in a t and sweats she wins hands down. :)

In the defense of all tactless men, there is no way to answer the question, "do I look fat in the dress?"

Sure there is. The answer is always a resounding.......... NO!
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I really don't like the idea of being an "upgrade." I'm not a car or an object to be compared to. I am myself and we are together because we have a good relationship. Never in my life would I be happy to be told that I need to look my best to show up an ex. When I do dress up, it's for ME, so I feel good about myself, not because my entire worth depends on looking better than another girl.

Good grief, so you guys are harping on the stinking "upgrade" get over it. It's a WORD.
    it's not just the word, it's the entire idea behind it.

What? The idea that he likes you better than anyone he's been with before? OMG what an arsehole!
    I haven't said anything remotely close to that, so I'm not going to waste my time responding.
    The title did say "ladies" didn't it? So he's asking for our opinion, and what a surprise, most of us thought it was rude.

And women are famous for understanding men, right?
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Total D*ck. Comparing one woman to another. And assuming your current girlfriend may somehow come up short and embarrass you. I hope 'who ever this was' winds up going to this event solo!
  • RachelsReboot
    RachelsReboot Posts: 569 Member
    Options

I would love to think that who ever I'm seeing thinks that I'm the best she's ever had.

That's exactly how one should feel, we all learn and grow from relationships. They only get better, if they don't then you are doing something wrong.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I really don't like the idea of being an "upgrade." I'm not a car or an object to be compared to. I am myself and we are together because we have a good relationship. Never in my life would I be happy to be told that I need to look my best to show up an ex. When I do dress up, it's for ME, so I feel good about myself, not because my entire worth depends on looking better than another girl.

Good grief, so you guys are harping on the stinking "upgrade" get over it. It's a WORD.
    it's not just the word, it's the entire idea behind it.

What? The idea that he likes you better than anyone he's been with before? OMG what an arsehole!
    I haven't said anything remotely close to that, so I'm not going to waste my time responding.
    The title did say "ladies" didn't it? So he's asking for our opinion, and what a surprise, most of us thought it was rude.

And women are famous for understanding men, right?

I actually didn't think it was rude and there's a few people on here who didn't either. Seriously. Dress up, go out and get the heck over it.
  • Leesseebee
    Leesseebee Posts: 216
    Options
    Can we take a second and recognize that this third party hypothetical is you and can we just ask what you felt you were doing and perhaps tell us how you would feel if you were told by your gf to dress up pretty so you could meet her ex she knew would be there?
  • JustJennie1
    Options
    Can we take a second and recognize that this third party hypothetical is you and can we just ask what you felt you were doing and perhaps tell us how you would feel if you were told by your gf to dress up pretty so you could meet her ex she knew would be there?

Been there, done that. Dressed up super sexy and had an awesome time. :happy:
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    Okay my 2cents.

Does it sound bad? Yes the way it was said didnt really come out right but then again men tend to do that LOL!!

Do I want to know the ex is going to be there? Hell YEAH I have been married for over 14years and I still wanna know if she is going ot be there. As for dress code I try to look my best but you can also believe I will put extra effort if In know someone is going ot be there.

Tell me when you go to and interview since you already have all that confidence in the world are you going to in looking like a day in the park? (that is assuming you dont dress up to go to the park cuz I have seen some people.....) No you will dress to impress that is the same *kitten* to me nothing different.

So yes let me know she is going to be there I want to know!
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Nothing good ever comes of interacting with exes unless there are children involved. Get rid of them and be happy they are gone.
  • chrishgt4
    Options
    To those suggesting how it should have been said - seems like you are taking it offensively on purpose.

If you are saying that you understand his intentions but he phrased it poorly, and therefore would have been offended. Doesn't that make you deliberately obstructive.

It's not some black and white that he thinks you're terrible normally so need to make an effort. He is asking you to make a particular effort in these circumstances for a perfectly legitimate reason.

Seriously, get over it.
  • DominiqueSmall
    DominiqueSmall Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Obviously a man is never right, and it would be better for everyone if we'd just shut up and go fishing.

lmao!
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Depends. If he's a hot alpha, he's a gentleman. Otherwise... he's a jerk. Isn't that how the rules work?
  • JustJennie1
    Options
    Seriously, get over it.

^^^ Indeed.
  • chrishgt4
    Options

You better believe I would be on top form that day! make sure he knows I'm the alpha.
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Your significant other( someone who you have been dating exclusively for a year) ask you to attend a popular event In your area and he says to you " I really need you looking your best my ex girlfriend always attends this event and I know she is going to be there and I know she is going to be dressed up" would you feel like he is being a jerk or would you feel that is a good heads up cause its not something you would normally get particularly dressed up and made up to attend?????

Well, it's not something I would say, and I'm awesome.