6 yr old taken to police station in handcuffs

Options

Replies

• AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    "Our policy states that any detainee transported to our station in a patrol vehicle is to be handcuffed in the back. There is no age discrimination on that rule," Milledgeville Police Chief Dray Swicord told WMAZ-TV.

I'm all for law enforcement "doing their job" the Nazis used the same excuse, true story

What I have a problem with is that stupid phrase overruling common sense. come on, 6? How strong is a 6yr. old that you can't detain her without handcuffs? :noway:

ever try to restrain a child that is out of control?

Yep, last night I had to hold him upside down for 20 seconds because holding his feet was the only way he'd stop kicking and head butting me mid tantrum . . . I love 2 year olds (no really I do . . . when they're sleeping or eating hot dogs). Raising my own child with a reflection of my own personality has taught me the importance of embracing self control and concise communication as opposed to animal gut instinct.
  • loseweightjames
    Options
    "Our policy states that any detainee transported to our station in a patrol vehicle is to be handcuffed in the back. There is no age discrimination on that rule," Milledgeville Police Chief Dray Swicord told WMAZ-TV.

I'm all for law enforcement "doing their job" the Nazis used the same excuse, true story

What I have a problem with is that stupid phrase overruling common sense. come on, 6? How strong is a 6yr. old that you can't detain her without handcuffs? :noway:

detain with.... what? your hands? and risk hurting a 6 yr old? i don't think that's a lawsuit the police want....
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    there's a huge difference between arresting a 15 year old kid and a 6 year old. a 15 year old understands what's going on..a 6 year old won't learn a thing.

While that may be true there is the safety of the unruly child AND the safety of everyone else around that child at stake... I don't see it so much as "punishment" as much as a protection factor...
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    they could have isolated the child in another way. If security was needed, so be it. If the police were needed, they could have taken the child into a room and contacted the parents/emergency contacts. Handcuffs is excessive for a 6 year old. I do agree there is a safety issue at stake though.
  • hotcocoa8
    hotcocoa8 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    This must be ugly side of the board, but it's easy to judge until it's YOUR little girl being handcuffed thrown in a police car. God have mercy on all of you.
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    they could have isolated the child in another way. If security was needed, so be it. If the police were needed, they could have taken the child into a room and contacted the parents/emergency contacts. Handcuffs is excessive for a 6 year old. I do agree there is a safety issue at stake though.

if she was raging, throwin chairs etc, then no, handcuffs is not excessive at all, im just surprised they found ones small enough for her.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    Options
    Hold on, here's a question. So - it's okay for the police to use handcuffs on a 6 year old, but what would those same school administrators do if they saw a child come to school with signs of restraining bruises on a child's wrists? They'd call those same police officers, and what would those same police officers do when they saw those same restraining bruises? Seriously? You're cheering the school administration and police on for doing the same thing that a parent would be arrested for doing and CPS would be called in for observing.
  • Mallory0418
    Mallory0418 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    If her parents spanked her, this wouldn't be a problem...

A wooden spoon speaks volumes.

*sigh* Oh memories...I had many a wooden spoon broken over my bum and I turned out fine.
  • HOSED49
    HOSED49 Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    This must be ugly side of the board, but it's easy to judge until it's YOUR little girl being handcuffed thrown in a police car. God have mercy on all of you.

If MY little girl was acting a fool and had to be transported in a police car for tearing a school up then the handcuffs would be the least of her worries when I got her....

Theres no judging going on which makes your post sad, trying to turn it into something it isnt...God would have mercy on her little *kitten* for acting that way.....but then my little girl (for now) knows not to act a fool so it wont be an issue...
  • horndave
    horndave Posts: 565
    Options

I have already sold my soul. No mercy needed.
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Hold on, here's a question. So - it's okay for the police to use handcuffs on a 6 year old, but what would those same school administration do if they saw a child come to school with signs of restraining bruises on a child's wrists? They'd call those same police officers, and what would those same police officers do when they saw those same restraining bruises? Seriously? You're cheering the school administration and police on for doing the same thing that a parent would be arrested for doing and CPS would be called in for observing.

if there are restraining bruises on her because she's having these issues at home too and the parents arent taking care of it, then yeah cps should be called so the parents get the help either they, their kid or both needs to help this girl deal with whatever issues are making her act this way, whether they're mental, physical or just lazy discipline issues.
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    Oh yes, the solution to this is spanking. Always spanking :sick:
  • vidoardes
    vidoardes Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    People saying a six year old doesn't know what they are doing are talking rubbish. If she's old enough to pull a bookcase onto a teacher, she's old enough to take responsibility for it, end of.

Glad they cuffed her and took her away, unfortunately all it's gonna do is make the parent sue someone for a bit of cash.
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    If my kid was a nightmare, I would applaud them taking her away in handcuffs. Maybe she will think about it next time. Scared straight!

My mom had my sister arrested one time (she wasn't actually charged with anything, but she basically had the police scare the crap out of her) when she was 13. My sis was a typical out of control teen, thought she could talk to anybody however she wanted, lots of anger issues. She slapped my mom so she got carted out of the house in handcuffs---and now my sister wouldn't even dare talk back to my mom! That one incident taught her a LOT about what happens when you act like an *kitten* in the real world.

If your child is THAT out of control at age 6, there is something going on with them. Whether they have extreme emotional issues, have issues at home, or a chemical imbalance, there is something wrong. Parents need to do a better job of recognizing that their children have issues instead of just embracing what special little flowers they are.

We didn't agree in the other thread but I def agree with this ^
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options

But wasn't it stated that the police officer tried to get ahold of the mother 6 times? How many times do the police need to try and contact the parents before they need to do anything? If the authorities kept that child in an empty room until the parents came to pick the child up, they would be complaining about that too... By the way... the parents didn't come pick up the child... the aunt did, so I wonder how long she was in "custody" of the police.
  • HOSED49
    HOSED49 Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Hold on, here's a question. So - it's okay for the police to use handcuffs on a 6 year old, but what would those same school administrators do if they saw a child come to school with signs of restraining bruises on a child's wrists? They'd call those same police officers, and what would those same police officers do when they saw those same restraining bruises? Seriously? You're cheering the school administration and police on for doing the same thing that a parent would be arrested for doing and CPS would be called in for observing.

not even the same ballpark...obviously there would be documentation to the fact that the police used restraints on the child during transport....explaining any scratches or bruising..
    If a child shows up out of the blue with bruised wrists then yes the police would be called and an investigation would occur...
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options

If MY little girl was acting a fool and had to be transported in a police car for tearing a school up then the handcuffs would be the least of her worries when I got her....

Theres no judging going on which makes your post sad, trying to turn it into something it isnt...God would have mercy on her little *kitten* for acting that way.....but then my little girl (for now) knows not to act a fool so it wont be an issue...

Amen. I would be mortified if my child acted that way! Then again, if my child had extreme emotional issues, I'd hope that I would notice and do something about it before it got that bad.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    If my kid was a nightmare, I would applaud them taking her away in handcuffs. Maybe she will think about it next time. Scared straight!

My mom had my sister arrested one time (she wasn't actually charged with anything, but she basically had the police scare the crap out of her) when she was 13. My sis was a typical out of control teen, thought she could talk to anybody however she wanted, lots of anger issues. She slapped my mom so she got carted out of the house in handcuffs---and now my sister wouldn't even dare talk back to my mom! That one incident taught her a LOT about what happens when you act like an *kitten* in the real world.

If your child is THAT out of control at age 6, there is something going on with them. Whether they have extreme emotional issues, have issues at home, or a chemical imbalance, there is something wrong. Parents need to do a better job of recognizing that their children have issues instead of just embracing what special little flowers they are.

We didn't agree in the other thread but I def agree with this ^

Ha, we CAN all get along!
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    a child doesn't just act out like that out of nowhere. there were signs..there are always signs. Parents are to blame, period. The kid needs help and its the parents job to find it.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    Options
    Hold on, here's a question. So - it's okay for the police to use handcuffs on a 6 year old, but what would those same school administration do if they saw a child come to school with signs of restraining bruises on a child's wrists? They'd call those same police officers, and what would those same police officers do when they saw those same restraining bruises? Seriously? You're cheering the school administration and police on for doing the same thing that a parent would be arrested for doing and CPS would be called in for observing.

if there are restraining bruises on her because she's having these issues at home too and the parents arent taking care of it, then yeah cps should be called so the parents get the help either they, their kid or both needs to help this girl deal with whatever issues are making her act this way, whether they're mental, physical or just lazy discipline issues.

Yes, but what I'm getting out of a lot of the responses is "yeah, they handcuffed a 6 year old and kicked her out of school." I'm getting very little "the parents have some sort of accountability." and getting even less "it's a shame that it had to come to this, hopefully now this child can get the help she really needs." Not only that, generally (remember there are exceptions to every rule) there's an escillation process, it's not like one day a switch goes off in someone's head saying "today is the day I'm going to freak the fvuk out and destroy stuff and hurt people." (unless there has been a recent terribly traumatic incident) . . . so where was the help and concern before?