RUNNERS!!! Observations on the run...

Options

Replies

• Becky_Boodle
    Becky_Boodle Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    - geese do make a lot of noise...especially toward my dog
    - a km outdoors is definitely shorter than one on the treadmill
    - people in general, not just old people, look at you funny when running past them...
    especially when there is a dog tied around your waist
    - people who walk along the trail get all freaked out and don't know what to do when you're running toward them
    - running past a smoker makes me want to stop and punch them...worst thing to be smelling while running
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    I've totally had stray dogs follow me for a mile or so, just tagging along, because I said hello to them.
    Happened to me again, yesterday

-there are two kinds of dogs: dogs that bark and carry on like Armageddon just arrived and dogs that just pop out of nowhere, "Hello new friend. Please scratch my back. Do you know of this thing called, 'bacon'" I'm looking for bacon. I'm going to follow you just in case you happen find bacon."
  • ckdub428
    ckdub428 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    - The scent of grilling steak travels three blocks.
    - The best days for running are also the best days for my neighbor to grill steak
    - I hate my neighbor
    - There are emails that I've been avoiding that I should be doing RIGHT NOW
    - Other runners are sweating less than I am

I have noticed this about my neighbors too!!!
  • scs143
    scs143 Posts: 2,190 Member
    Options
    - The two cats I've come across were both super talkative and one even followed me for a bit after I stopped to talk to him and give him loves. Not sure if the talking thing is was due to them both being Maine Coons or if that's just a coincidence.

I've totally had stray dogs follow me for a mile or so, just tagging along, because I said hello to them. Why aren't people more like dogs? I've never had anyone go running with me just because they could. How awesome would the world be if we all did that?

That is cool!

I have only been running since August and I took it inside from Nov-March, but now that I am back outside, I have noticed that:

-the skunks in my neighborhood are gangster. I have had two encounters while running in the last month and they have no fear of me at 5am! I, on the other hand tacked an extra mile on my run because I could not get far enough away.
    -Men like to pull up next to me and watch for while. Now, I know I have a booty and running pants call attention to it, but really, I am sweating and huffing my *kitten* off here. Please don't watch!
    -Some people don't move their car at all, causing me to have a small heart attack wondering if I am about to take their side view mirror to the hip.
    - So far, spring is most favorite time to run. The weather is perfect, the flowers smell wonderful and everything is so bright!
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I can smell cigarette smoke from inside cars with windows rolled up, as well as from houses.
    People start driving really crazy on Las Vegas boulevard as the strip comes into view.
    My iPhone 3 is almost too old, and sometimes my runs become music-free
    There are still some brave bunny rabbits left in the desert (where are the coyotes?)
    Certain old songs still make me elated
    My flashing butt-light nearly drives drunk people off the road. The other side, fortunately.
    There is a household in the neighborhood that burns a wood fire EVERY SINGLE NIGHT!
    There are people out doing things they ain't 'posed to be doing. I don't know who gets scared more, me or them
    The smell of horse poop is better than the smell of cigarettes.
  • sharonsjones
    sharonsjones Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    - geese do make a lot of noise...especially toward my dog
    - a km outdoors is definitely shorter than one on the treadmill
    - people in general, not just old people, look at you funny when running past them...
    especially when there is a dog tied around your waist
    - people who walk along the trail get all freaked out and don't know what to do when you're running toward them
    - running past a smoker makes me want to stop and punch them...worst thing to be smelling while running

I feel the same way! I want to snatch the cigarette from their hands and and say "what the f$*@ I'm running here!"
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • KatesBadAss
    KatesBadAss Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Back county roads in a small town in Texas....

* Dogs will chase you and chase you and chase you. The big dogs are nice....the little ones like to act like the big dogs.

* The owner's of the little dogs laugh from the trailer's and know if you try to kick that little dog they will get their shotgun.

* The smell of honeysuckle makes me feel like a kid again.

* *kitten* rednecks with their oversized trucks like to drive really fast and really close on a next to nothing deserted road. While small honda's and old people, slow down, wait for you to acknowledge them and drive off giving you 5 feet of clearance.

* People in the country wonder why you're even running in the first place.

* There are 15 different smells to cow, horse and pig poop.
  • lmccallister
    lmccallister Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Observations from the Mojave Desert, California:

-The smell of weed isn't as hidden as you thought when you lit up in the comfort of your house.
    -Snakes will quite literally appear almost under foot before you see them
    -It's 80 degrees outside, yet some how the mountains surrounding me are still capped with snow.
    -After a couple of miles, I really wish I was running in those mountains.
    -People look at you like you're crazy when they see you running.
    -People look at you with hate when they see you running on the side of the road during rush hour.
    -There are a lot of burnt patches of ground around where I live, from past season fires.
    -There is one area of my neighborhood where the tumbleweeds gather during windy days and completely block off the side walk.
    -The people walking their dogs are usually very friendly. :)
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    I run on back country roads here in Maryland, so...

* Young guys in pick-up trucks are the least likely to realize you're running down the little 2-lane road until the LAST minute. Then they swerve like crazy.

* That big hill up ahead on a country road always looks MUCH steeper than when you're actually ON it. But they can go on forever.

* Just 'cause you made it up that last hill doesn't mean it's DOWNHILL on the other side.

* Cows do NOT respond if you "MOO" at them as you run past. Country folk know it -- city folks try it ALL the time.
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    * *kitten* rednecks with their oversized trucks like to drive really fast and really close on a next to nothing deserted road. While small honda's and old people, slow down, wait for you to acknowledge them and drive off giving you 5 feet of clearance.

* People in the country wonder why you're even running in the first place.

* There are 15 different smells to cow, horse and pig poop.

AMEN! :laugh:
  • willismack2
    Options
    - People don't always rein in their dog when you approach, so to avoid possible tripping you run way over to the side like you're afraid of their ankle biter

Yes, and they always seem to have the leash towards the inside of the pathway instead of outside away from traffic!
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I run on back country roads here in Maryland, so...

* Young guys in pick-up trucks are the least likely to realize you're running down the little 2-lane road until the LAST minute. Then they swerve like crazy.

* That big hill up ahead on a country road always looks MUCH steeper than when you're actually ON it. But they can go on forever.

* Just 'cause you made it up that last hill doesn't mean it's DOWNHILL on the other side.

* Cows do NOT respond if you "MOO" at them as you run past. Country folk know it -- city folks try it ALL the time.

Ditto. MD country road runner here too.
  • LuLuRunner1
    LuLuRunner1 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    - - There are a lot of men in my town with large, impressive handlebar mustaches. I always want to grab some wax, curl the ends, and have them say "I'll be your Huckleberry". Weird compulsion, but I just always do.

I almost lost it on this one! I'm the same way...love me some handlebar mustache! I use to beg my husband to get out of the military just so he could grow me one! Some day...some day, he'll have a job that he can grow one of those! :blushing:
  • willismack2
    Options
    - Robins won't let you pass easily. When you approach one on the side of the path they will fly ahead about 30 yds. When you get near they fly ahead again. After 3 or 4 times they will then fly to the side of the trail and let you pass.

- If you try to judge the wind direction and plan your run accordingly, it will change.

- Little tiny gnat-like bugs love low lying areas near water and will try to enter any open orfice.

- Women passing me running while push strollers are awesome
  • silversong24
    silversong24 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    The other day I saw a flattened possum (opossum?) on the side of the road. A survey crew worker had painted a crime scene outline around it :laugh:

HAHAHAHA that is great!

- People are either super friendly or super rude... cuz yeah my entire purpose this morning was to get up and come annoy you!!
    - The older the pet owner the smaller the dog.
    - headphones do not in fact stop people from talking to you, but it does encourage them to talk about you LOL.
    - short steep hills are so much better than long, drawn out low-grade ones!
    - for some reason a horse was ridden along the trail in the city park the other day, and they aren't any better at cleaning up the poop then dog owners are.
    - nobody understands the purpose of blinkers for vehicles.
    - the city maintains the park trail better then they do the roads when it snows.
    - there is one really pretty yellow tulip blooming at one of the most difficult parts of the trail.
    - running is apparently a lunch-time spectator sport.... so many people park their vehicles and sit in the car eating lunch while watching people run the trail around the park... seriously what is the point of going to the park if you are just going to sit in your car?
  • HJCsDaddy
    HJCsDaddy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    one more...

- everyone here now feels like they have a bond with everyone else who posted on this thread.

RUNNERS UNITE!! :)
  • Mdin1029
    Mdin1029 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Hilarious! Yes the smoke is sooo gross! I agree about cell phones and weird looks from old people too! I also notice that cars coming to a stop sign love driving into the crosswalk, and people making a left turn out of a driveway do not look right for pedestrians or bikers! I also agree with whoever commented on the number of people who drive someplace nice, in this case the beach, then just sit in their cars!
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    one more...

- everyone here now feels like they have a bond with everyone else who posted on this thread.

RUNNERS UNITE!! :)

Agreed!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Semi country roads- never been swerved at, but have had people give me no room at all. Also get some who move to the entire other lane.
    Lots of dead frogs & toads after a rainy period
    Litter that just makes u furious that people are such pigs

Park trails
    Deer dont care how close u are they dont run
    squirrels will dash in front of u & try to trip u
    Being the 1st on a trail = a face full of spider webs