Study Shows People with Tatoos Drink More

Options

Replies

• korsicash
    korsicash Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    SWEET it just means have more fun! Stupid studies! I don't drink at all (pancreas condition I can not drink so I mean none), married, and a good person I have 7
  • TeutonicKnight
    TeutonicKnight Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    This wins the prize for the stupidest *kitten* I've ever read.

hahaha Couldn't agree more.....now lets get drunk and have some unprotected sex while skydiving through Iraq

BWHAHAHAH!

/wins thread
  • missoularocks
    missoularocks Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    It's cuz we get sooo thirsty sitting in a tattoo chair.
    I probably do drink more! :)~
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    :laugh: ahahahaha, I have 5 tattoos and despise the taste, and effect, of alcohol. Even if I go out, I don't drink.
  • MFPAddict
    MFPAddict Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Popcorn.

People with tats eat more popcorn too?

Listen all you tatted popcorn eating drunks, don't dare try to corner the market on M&Ms!!! :grumble:
  • AlSalzman
    AlSalzman Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Previous studies have shown that tattooed individuals are more likely to engage in risky behaviors, such as unprotected sex, theft, violence and alcohol consumption, compared to people without tattoos

Because we *kitten*#ng rock.

\m/
  • DietingMommy08
    DietingMommy08 Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    I have 12 single tattoos and a half sleeve and guess what?!

I DONT DRINK!
  • MrsORourke
    MrsORourke Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I'll drink to that! :drinker:
  • pkgirrl
    pkgirrl Posts: 587
    Options
    I feel like the correlation equals causation in this study is backwards, and I'm calling it out for being poor science in general. I think a much more likely conclusion is people who are natural risk takers, are more like to drink more, as well as more likely to get tattoos.

Or at the very least drinking more may result in getting more tattoos, on a particularly wild night :/
  • Grandysl
    Grandysl Posts: 189
    Options
    Of course, I realized I misspelled "Tattoos" a half a second after it was too late :drinker:
    The researchers asked nearly 3,000 young men and women as they were exiting bars on a Saturday night if they would take a breathalyzer test. Of those who agreed to take it, the researchers found that people with tattoos had consumed more alcohol than those without tattoos, the researchers said.

Previous studies have shown that tattooed individuals are more likely to engage in risky behaviors, such as unprotected sex, theft, violence and alcohol consumption, compared to people without tattoos

http://vitals.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/04/16/11231236-tattooed-people-drink-more-says-new-study

Could it be that people who get drunk are more likely to get inked?
  • sheryllamb72
    sheryllamb72 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    This is just one of those general links...

Like people that are closer to the perfect ratio from eyes to nose have a greater amount of anti hepatitis (b) surface antigen, the same with testosterone levels in relation to body weight and the same antigen aswell...

That's also like that other thing that they say about men with big feet..................................................................
    .............wear bigger shoes!! :noway:

LMAO :laugh: :tongue:
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Maybe what's really happening is that drunk people are more likely to get a tattoo. :P
  • kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member
    Options

Because we *kitten*#ng rock.

\m/

I believe my tattoos are simply written reminders of what I've done, so I can at least have some sort of memory from 'the good times'
  • jcarnes66
    jcarnes66 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have one tattoo....and I do drink a lot. Of water. :)
  • TK266
    TK266 Posts: 3,689 Member
    Options
    Correlation does not equal causation. That is all.

Yep. studies like this imply that the tattoo is the cause as opposed to the type of people (as a group, not you the individual) tend to be more likely to take a risk.

if you could show me a pre and post tattoo study and a persons behavior I might have more faith in the validity.

The bigger issue is the media hyping or sensationalizing studies or part of the studies that are meant to titillate or show that researchers study stupid things.
  • angielautenbach
    angielautenbach Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    My husband has no tattoos and has a beer almost everynight. I have 2 tattoos and drink once a week.
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Of course, I realized I misspelled "Tattoos" a half a second after it was too late :drinker:
    The researchers asked nearly 3,000 young men and women as they were exiting bars on a Saturday night if they would take a breathalyzer test. Of those who agreed to take it, the researchers found that people with tattoos had consumed more alcohol than those without tattoos, the researchers said.

http://vitals.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/04/16/11231236-tattooed-people-drink-more-says-new-study

What is misleading about the study is, the tattoos don't magically make someone more likely to engage in risky behavior. It's really because people who have tattoos, generally have personality traits that make them risk takers, which is why they have tattoos in the first place. The tattoos don't turn them into risk-takers, they get tattoos because they already are risk-takers.

Edit to add: I know there are exceptions to this. I'm just saying, that, in general, people who have tattoos tend to be free-spirited.
  • jaredsgirl1
    Options
    I know lots of people who have tats, but never drink or have even had 1 drink in their life. This includes my husband. Tattoos do not have the same taboo that they used to have. They are seen as "body art" and many people get them to remember special occasions or people. I plan to get my kids names on my ankle/foot if I ever get the design down. Not a fair survey. I have also never had unprotected sex or committed a crime, although I do occasionally consider murder as an alternative to putting up with other people's stupidity! :D
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    Ok so I have a ton of tats and I drink like a fish. I also have a full time job and children. Somehow I dont think this makes me a degenerate. Studies like this are biased and unless they do a long term double blind study they are BS to
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    I'm covered in tattoos and I don't drink. Never been much of one either.