What's the Craziest Diet Myth You've Heard?

Options

Replies

• AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    There was one a few years ago, something about drinking your own urine (and no, you didn't have to be pregnant for it to work). All I could think was, "seeing as it would make me vomit, that would work very well."
  • MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    any type of cleanse involving water, lemon and cayenne pepper. it's called starvation and it doesn't really do anything but make someone think they are doing somethign other than starvation.
  • samanthanic0le
    samanthanic0le Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    never expose it to bright light (especially sunlight, which will kill it); never get it wet (which will make it multiply); and, most importantly: never, ever feed it after midnight.

omg!! gremlins hahaha
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    The peanut diet. A lady I worked with a while back said she could eat basically anything as long as she was chowing down some peanuts all day. She didn't stop eating peanuts ever and would answer her phone while chewing a mouthful of peanuts or go to meetings with her jar of peanuts and keep munching through the meeting.

I can't even see how that might be thought to work-- fiber, maybe? How crazy!

15405351.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

If she put on fruit flavored lip gloss, kissing her was probably like having a PB&J.

I'm sorry, that's the first thing I thought of from that.
  • caritiger
    caritiger Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    The apple diet. You basically eat two apples a day and nothing else. Apparently Beyonce used it? Ridiculous.

LOL they will put Beyonce's name on anything! You would lose weight, true, but what an awful way to do it!
  • gogidget
    gogidget Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    any diet that limits you to eating one thing only!
  • NinjaChickie
    NinjaChickie Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    An ex-coworker once told me (while eating a large McDonalds fries) that there is nothing wrong with fries, they are potatoes, and potatoes are a vegetable, and vegetables are good for you.

We tried to explain the whole concept of "deep fried" but it was beyond her comprehension... :noway:

So there you have it.... fries are a vegetable!.
    Now who's coming to McD's with me? :laugh:
  • JBsCrazyGirl
    Options
    I'm not sure about crazy, but disgusting would be vinegar shots in the a.m. for metabolism boost

Yuck! What is that supposed to do? Wake you up by making you puke!?!?

http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/dr-ozs-anti-diabetes-drink
  • theshow4jsu
    theshow4jsu Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    My grandmother believed that eating a teaspoon of Dawn or Palmolive dish soap every day would dissolve fat in her body. She swore she read about it in Reader's Digest. She ate a lot of soap...

Did grandma fart bubbles? That would've been a hit at family get togethers...
  • mcpherson4
    mcpherson4 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    She ate a lot of soap... hilarious!
  • gg9nerak
    gg9nerak Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I did the Atkins diet years ago and fried chicken was never on it...the flour from the breading would have disqualified the food...I did lose weight but too restrictive and you gain all plus back...all in all not a healthy diet.
  • caritiger
    Options
    dont eat after 6

There are a lot of folks who do that one-- a lot of doctors even say that still! I try not to eat too late, but just because it wakes me back up before bedtime.
  • bigredhearts
    Options
    the one where people order tapeworms and ingest them so that you will lose weight...
  • greasygriddle_wechnage
    Options
    That eating too few calories will make you gain weight.

Believe it or not, a weight-loss program that overly restricts calories will set you up for failure, as will a skipped meal. There is a point at which cutting calories will work against weight loss because consuming too few calories leads to increased appetite and low satiety as your body prevents starvation. You will find it hard to implement your healthy eating goals when you’re feeling hungry and dissatisfied. And you will suffer from cravings, ultimately causing you to fall into under-eating and over-eating cycles.

Your body will make a choice: lose body fat or lose muscle. An inadequately fueled body will choose to drop calorie-burning muscle rather than fat. Excessive loss of lean muscle mass leads to weight loss without improvement of body composition or health. This leaves you frustrated and ever-battling your weight. The body will slow it's metabolism to an absolute stand still to "keep it going".

Get informed, and think about it!
  • Jennfur2610
    Jennfur2610 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    The HCG diet sounds pretty crazy to me...

Agreed. My cousin did this and she lost almost 50 lbs. However she has a lot of health issues now because of it.
  • caritiger
    Options
    never expose it to bright light (especially sunlight, which will kill it); never get it wet (which will make it multiply); and, most importantly: never, ever feed it after midnight.

Hahahaha! Good One!

15405351.png
  • opus649
    opus649 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    That eating too few calories will make you gain weight.

Believe it or not, a weight-loss program that overly restricts calories will set you up for failure, as will a skipped meal. There is a point at which cutting calories will work against weight loss because consuming too few calories leads to increased appetite and low satiety as your body prevents starvation. You will find it hard to implement your healthy eating goals when you’re feeling hungry and dissatisfied. And you will suffer from cravings, ultimately causing you to fall into under-eating and over-eating cycles.

Your body will make a choice: lose body fat or lose muscle. An inadequately fueled body will choose to drop calorie-burning muscle rather than fat. Excessive loss of lean muscle mass leads to weight loss without improvement of body composition or health. This leaves you frustrated and ever-battling your weight. The body will slow it's metabolism to an absolute stand still to "keep it going".

Get informed, and think about it!

:grumble:
  • theladyy
    theladyy Posts: 176
    Options
    An ex-coworker once told me (while eating a large McDonalds fries) that there is nothing wrong with fries, they are potatoes, and potatoes are a vegetable, and vegetables are good for you.

We tried to explain the whole concept of "deep fried" but it was beyond her comprehension... :noway:

So there you have it.... fries are a vegetable!.
    Now who's coming to McD's with me? :laugh:

Well, pizza is now a vegetable, so fries must be as well!
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    licking a dogs butt berfore you eat will decrease your appetite.
  • caritiger
    Options
    the one where people order tapeworms and ingest them so that you will lose weight...

I hear that actually used to be popular, which is just disgusting!

15405351.png