What's the Craziest Diet Myth You've Heard?

Options

Replies

• HarrietSabre
    HarrietSabre Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    If you don't eat something every few hours your body goes into starvation mode and you'll never lose another pound again.

Haha, amazing. I think I hate this stupid starvation mode myth more than any of the others.
  • JimandLin
    JimandLin Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Was there one out years ago, when people got the mouth wired shut?
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Chewing a hundred times with every bite cuts calories.

SIGH.
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    That eating too few calories will make you gain weight.

Believe it or not, a weight-loss program that overly restricts calories will set you up for failure, as will a skipped meal. There is a point at which cutting calories will work against weight loss because consuming too few calories leads to increased appetite and low satiety as your body prevents starvation. You will find it hard to implement your healthy eating goals when you’re feeling hungry and dissatisfied. And you will suffer from cravings, ultimately causing you to fall into under-eating and over-eating cycles.

Your body will make a choice: lose body fat or lose muscle. An inadequately fueled body will choose to drop calorie-burning muscle rather than fat. Excessive loss of lean muscle mass leads to weight loss without improvement of body composition or health. This leaves you frustrated and ever-battling your weight. The body will slow it's metabolism to an absolute stand still to "keep it going".

Get informed, and think about it!

:grumble:

Great reply and so very true!

super LOL
  • HarrietSabre
    Options
    Eating too few calories will make you gain weight! That's not a myth! Don't you read the bottom of your log if you haven't eaten enough? If you eat too few calories you body goes into starvation mode and keeps everything. It doesn't think you are going to feed it again, therefore weight gain. Do the research, it's true.

I have done the research, and it isn't true.

I could cite you numerous studies with people on sub 1000 calories and they lose weight, and the lower the calories the more they lose. Yes there are sustainability issues as with most diet regimes. But fundamentally you can't gain weight by eating less than you are expending - where does the weight come from ? Mars ?

There is a metabolic slow down in response to losing weight, not least because you lose mass, and there may also be a slow down in response to calorie restriction (studies come out both for and against this).

But "starvation mode" is a myth if you extrapolate it to "body goes into starvation mode and keeps everything". Just sit down and think about that. What would be the purpose of the body "keeping everything" if it were capable of doing so ? If you need 1000 calories of energy to stay alive in "starvation mode" then those calories will be taken from food, body fat and ultimately muscle. When all the fat is gone you'll look like a concentration camp survivor or an Ethiopian famine refugee. There's no way the body can "keep everything" and it would in any case be self defeating. In a 3 day fast you would die were it to be the case, whereas in practice it takes about 70 days for a hunger striker to die.

I think I love you.
  • seonf
    seonf Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    To drink 9 cups of water. No one has explained to me how that will make me loose weight.
  • RobHuskinson
    RobHuskinson Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Eating cheese before working out helps you build muscle...

Eating a Snickers after working out is better than a protein shake...
  • HarrietSabre
    Options
    The grapefruit diet works. It also gives you stomach ulcers though which is mist definitely not worth it.

Grapefruits are actually highly beneficial in curing stomach ulcers...
  • brendansmom1
    brendansmom1 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    never expose it to bright light (especially sunlight, which will kill it); never get it wet (which will make it multiply); and, most importantly: never, ever feed it after midnight.

LOL.....Gremlins reference.....love it!!
  • glenbabe
    glenbabe Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Here in my hometown, there was a mother and son who would go the Piccadilly Cafeteria and completely load their trays with the worst possible foods-- fried chicken, mac and cheese, scalloped potatoes, desserts, everything. Then they would take lemons and squeeze the juice all over everything, claiming they were "cutting the calories"!

That is one of the craziest myths I've heard! How about all of you?

NAWW......ITS GRAPEFRUIT DOES THAT LOL
  • Marillian
    Marillian Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    Diet Myth: Muscle weighs more than fat.

I can't believe people actually believe this. A pound is a pound, no matter what the composition.

Muscle is denser than fat, but it doesn't weigh more.
  • caritiger
    caritiger Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Ever heard of the 'happy hour' diet?

A couple I know went on this diet, and this is how it worked..you eat nothing except some protein in the morning then from 6pm until 7pm you eat and eat and eat for a whole hour, on the table in front of them they would start with fried fish in batter, fries and a jumbo sausage, six slices of white bread with lashings of butter, 2 slices of cheese melted on toast then cream cakes, at least 3 chocolate bars each all washed down with several cans of beer, someone told them that it takes the stomach 20 minutes to tell the brain its full so these friends of mine would cram as much food in their mouths before the twenty minutes were up! needless to say the 'happy hour' diet didn't work.

Again, this is one of those diets that fits into the "Wishful Thinking" category!

15405351.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    There are too many to list so I'll just post a link- http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/9-general-diet-and-weight-loss-help
  • shellebelle87
    shellebelle87 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • eriemer
    eriemer Posts: 197
    Options
    The apple diet. You basically eat two apples a day and nothing else. Apparently Beyonce used it? Ridiculous.

Apparently Beyonce did the maple syrup diet as well. I think I will refrain from taking dieting advice from Beyonce.

I met a lady who did the maple syrup diet for 15 days, lost 31 pounds and ended up in the ICU due to her organs beginning to shut down.

Is that the one with lemon water, maple syrup, and cayenne pepper. Cuz you have to be on drugs to do that one! GROSS.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    I had a friend tell me that if you drank vinegar daily that it helped your body burn fat faster. Soooooo....she was drinking like 1/2 a bottle a day and ended up in the ER with kidney issues. Turns out you were only supposed to add a tablespoon a day to your drink. Needless to say, she lost weight but not the way she wanted to.

omg that would TEAR my bladder up!
    and talk about ewww tasting.
  • keem88
    Options
    The apple diet. You basically eat two apples a day and nothing else. Apparently Beyonce used it? Ridiculous.

Apparently Beyonce did the maple syrup diet as well. I think I will refrain from taking dieting advice from Beyonce.

I met a lady who did the maple syrup diet for 15 days, lost 31 pounds and ended up in the ICU due to her organs beginning to shut down.

wtf a maple syrup diet? deff sounds like beyonce. she's such a dummy. as well as others who jump on that bandwaggon
  • keem88
    Options
    i heard of this really crazy diet called get your fat *kitten* up and do some exercise.
    madness, right?
  • eriemer
    eriemer Posts: 197
    Options
    I had a friend with an eating disorder who for a time would only eat "safe foods" very common in eating disorders.

For years she pretty much ate mashed potatos and flintstones vitamins. She did have to do rehab a few times, which is where she picked up the flinstone mash potato diet the first time she was hospitalized with anorexia.

Sad what ppl will believe.
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    My grandmother believed that eating a teaspoon of Dawn or Palmolive dish soap every day would dissolve fat in her body. She swore she read about it in Reader's Digest. She ate a lot of soap...

I just snorted reading this. :laugh: