Fat =/= curvy

Options

Replies

13519485 Posts: 264
    Options

Yeah, I get your point.

But still, the 0.63 sounds lovely :love:

I think 0.63 might be close to the lower limit of what might actually look "good" or "natural", but maybe we can go as low as 0.61 before hips just become too large and waists too small. :tongue:
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    Agree with you totally. In today's society we have to sugarcoat everything with nice-nice words to remain PC. Frankly if one is fat, get on board with themself and see it for what it is--especially when the body fat percentage backs up the claim. To me someone who was curvy was Marilyn Monroe, and she was in fantastic shape. Myself, I'm fat...my measurements equal to that of Spongebob Squarpants even tho I don't look like I'm that much overweight. But I still call it by how the numbers are...yeppers, F-A-T!!

This.

Sick of the PC, sugarcoated bullcrap.

I'm not saying we have to be brutal. I'm the most sensitive little shi t e ever.

But let's be real.

But, I'm sorry, POWER TO THE WOMEN, yeeha! Let everyone and anyone call themselves curvy because it's none of our business, and it makes them feel good and DEAR GOD, don't you dare be annoyed about it because YOU'RE MEAN!
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    This post has just highlighted that a whole lot of people on this forum are idiots/kinda racist (and I am referring to the 'when I get a tan I call myself Latin' logic lady in this)/body shamers and really, really misogynistic.

That'll be me giving the forums a wide berth for a good while.

Ever heard of a Freudian Slip my dear?
  • ShadowSoldier23
    ShadowSoldier23 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I also did not read all 10 pages, but I read the first page and got the gist that people dislike using <blank> as a descriptor for something they consider bad because they would rather <blank> be applied to them as a compliment instead. Which seems like... "Oh no! Someone fat took our word and now we can't use it to feed our ego!" and I guess my pity doesn't extend that far.

I wish the media would do more to celebrate bodily diversity, rather than just fat > curvy > perfect & some cellulite thrown in for flavour, but I'm frankly okay with fat people calling themselves whatever they wish if they're happy with themselves.

Thank you. Why does it matter if a woman is overweight/obese calls herself curvy? To me that says she needs to feel like cr@p for being big, but instead she may call herself curvy because is confident and comfortable with herself. Not all large women cry in a corner because they are big. Some of them are proud to be who they are regardless of size. To me, whatever makes them happy. If you have never been in their shoes, never been a LARGE (i'm talking 250+lbs here) woman you should not judge. People have body issues at any and every size. People also have confidence and are happy with themselves at any and every size. If someone is 500lbs but they are more than happy with it, who cares?

Another person who has completely missed the point.

6a00d8341c9cc153ef0134865ff5cd970c-150wi

No I understood your point clearly. But I did see some rather harsh comments about how obese people should not call themselves curvy, etc. Again, I just feel that it isn't anyone elses place to judge someone who may be very large but comfortable with themselves by saying they are curvy. Everyone has a different definition of this word, I was just stating this because of a few of the negative comments I saw.
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options

Yeah, I get your point.

But still, the 0.63 sounds lovely :love:

I think 0.63 might be close to the lower limit of what might actually look "good" or "natural", but maybe we can go as low as 0.61 before hips just become too large and waists too small. :tongue:

Yeah, I think so too, actually, now I think about it..
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    If a person has no qualms in using "grossly obese", which is NOT a medical term; they would probably call you butt ugly to your face if they didn't think you were very attractive. The impression *I* get from the OP's description "grossly obese" is she thinks people with more than a few pounds to shed are gross, therefore having NO RIGHT to be called curvy. After all, curvy sounds sexy and how could someone that's grossly obese be sexy??

Well, you're wrong.

Number one, as I have mentioned SEVERAL times, I thought it was a medical term, I've heard it used several times in a non-derogatory way and I was using it in the CONTEXT OF EXTREMELY.

I would never call ANYONE butt-ugly to their face. I am not a flipping idiot or mean person.

LOL, I think people with more than a few lbs to shed are gross? Darling, I am classified as obese. My starting BMI was 32. I originally had 56lbs to lose. NO, I do not think fat people are 'gross'. But I DO NOT think that simply being fat makes you curvy. Sorry if you have a problem with that, but it's how I feel. And I'm not the only one.

Stop trying to make this about obese people and my feelings on them. I never actually said that I think obese people are gross, and I never said fat people can't be curvy. I made it implicitly (sp?) clear in my original post that curvy is; small waist, larger hips to me. NOT how fat/skinny you are. So YES, if an obese person has a smaller waist, that goes IN, and hips that go out, THEY ARE CURVY.

Comprende?

YES MA'AM!! Click! (heels)
  • zasiiniya
    zasiiniya Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    It is irritating!! But it's like the unspoken PC definition of fat.

But that happened to a lot of words that used to be positive about body shape:
    Curvy = Fat
    Voluptuous = Obese
    Rubenesque = Morbidly Obese

WTF!!

We need to take these words back.

TAKE THEM BACK!

Curvy = Sleek and rounded in feminine places, ie T&A
    Voluptuous = bigger curves, as in - more volume in the rounded areas
    Rubenesque = padded curves, usually on the border between healthy and a few pounds overweight.
    Not sure if this has been posted, but THIS is Rubensesque:
    rubens102.jpg
    because it's a painting by Rubens.
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options
    I also did not read all 10 pages, but I read the first page and got the gist that people dislike using <blank> as a descriptor for something they consider bad because they would rather <blank> be applied to them as a compliment instead. Which seems like... "Oh no! Someone fat took our word and now we can't use it to feed our ego!" and I guess my pity doesn't extend that far.

I wish the media would do more to celebrate bodily diversity, rather than just fat > curvy > perfect & some cellulite thrown in for flavour, but I'm frankly okay with fat people calling themselves whatever they wish if they're happy with themselves.

Thank you. Why does it matter if a woman is overweight/obese calls herself curvy? To me that says she needs to feel like cr@p for being big, but instead she may call herself curvy because is confident and comfortable with herself. Not all large women cry in a corner because they are big. Some of them are proud to be who they are regardless of size. To me, whatever makes them happy. If you have never been in their shoes, never been a LARGE (i'm talking 250+lbs here) woman you should not judge. People have body issues at any and every size. People also have confidence and are happy with themselves at any and every size. If someone is 500lbs but they are more than happy with it, who cares?

Another person who has completely missed the point.

6a00d8341c9cc153ef0134865ff5cd970c-150wi

No I understood your point clearly. But I did see some rather harsh comments about how obese people should not call themselves curvy, etc. Again, I just feel that it isn't anyone elses place to judge someone who may be very large but comfortable with themselves by saying they are curvy. Everyone has a different definition of this word, I was just stating this because of a few of the negative comments I saw.

It was never my original point, but if you're obese, it's highly unlikely that any curves are going to visible. So why are they curvy by default? Should they call themselves athletic? I mean, they can if they want, but it doesn't make it true, nor does it mean that people aren't going to have an opinion about it.

Curvy has always, at least in the past 100 or so years, referred to this ) . ( and this ( )

Why are we suddenly changing definitions because some people like to claim curvy as a new motivational, PC term?

Look, it's not a huge issue. I don't lie awake at night worrying about it. No, it doesn't affect me. But it does annoy me. I like people to refer to themselves as the body types they are. If people are in denial, fair enough, but pretending to be something you're not is not true confidence to me.

I mean, I could always pretend I have huge knockers, but I don't. I could pretend I have a flat stomach, but I don't. I like to be true to my body type, and like to see others do the same.
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options
    If a person has no qualms in using "grossly obese", which is NOT a medical term; they would probably call you butt ugly to your face if they didn't think you were very attractive. The impression *I* get from the OP's description "grossly obese" is she thinks people with more than a few pounds to shed are gross, therefore having NO RIGHT to be called curvy. After all, curvy sounds sexy and how could someone that's grossly obese be sexy??

Well, you're wrong.

Number one, as I have mentioned SEVERAL times, I thought it was a medical term, I've heard it used several times in a non-derogatory way and I was using it in the CONTEXT OF EXTREMELY.

I would never call ANYONE butt-ugly to their face. I am not a flipping idiot or mean person.

LOL, I think people with more than a few lbs to shed are gross? Darling, I am classified as obese. My starting BMI was 32. I originally had 56lbs to lose. NO, I do not think fat people are 'gross'. But I DO NOT think that simply being fat makes you curvy. Sorry if you have a problem with that, but it's how I feel. And I'm not the only one.

Stop trying to make this about obese people and my feelings on them. I never actually said that I think obese people are gross, and I never said fat people can't be curvy. I made it implicitly (sp?) clear in my original post that curvy is; small waist, larger hips to me. NOT how fat/skinny you are. So YES, if an obese person has a smaller waist, that goes IN, and hips that go out, THEY ARE CURVY.

Comprende?

YES MA'AM!! Click! (heels)

Well done! Run along now, come on, quick quick!
  • ShadowSoldier23
    ShadowSoldier23 Posts: 321 Member
    Options

It was never my original point, but if you're obese, it's highly unlikely that any curves are going to visible. So why are they curvy by default? Should they call themselves athletic? I mean, they can if they want, but it doesn't make it true, nor does it mean that people aren't going to have an opinion about it.

Curvy has always, at least in the past 100 or so years, referred to this ) . ( and this ( )

Why are we suddenly changing definitions because some people like to claim curvy as a new motivational, PC term?

Look, it's not a huge issue. I don't lie awake at night worrying about it. No, it doesn't affect me. But it does annoy me. I like people to refer to themselves as the body types they are. If people are in denial, fair enough, but pretending to be something you're not is not true confidence to me.

I mean, I could always pretend I have huge knockers, but I don't. I could pretend I have a flat stomach, but I don't. I like to be true to my body type, and like to see others do the same.

This is true and there is a boundary between curvy and morbidly obese. As I stand now I'm =obese and I in no way feel that I am at all curvy. However, I just think it's okay for any woman at any size to say they are curvy if it makes them feel good about themselves. Denial, well I don't know about that so much. As I said, I don't call myself curvy but I am confident enough with myself that my body doesn't determine how I feel about myself because I will be the same regardless of what size I am. But I know women who are 300+ pounds who truly love themselves regardless of what others say. That's where I see it as no issue if they want to say they are curvy. I'm not going to judge them for being happy. :)
  • mushroomcup
    mushroomcup Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    No, but I do find it irritating (gross, even) when people use the term 'grossly obese'.

Me too. "Morbidly" is a medical term, but "grossly" is a pejorative one.

Even though grossly has more than one meaning, one of which has nothing to do with obscenity or disgust?

As a noun, adverb and verb it has other meanings. As an adjective it means "unattractively large or bloated," and nothing else. When it precedes "obese" it's being used as an adjective and has no non-pejorative meaning.

And THAT is why knowing grammar matters.

Okay... I feel like a total grammar nazi right now, but I just have to say, "grossly" is an adverb not an adjective since it's modifying another adjective, that is, obese.
  • crazytreelady
    crazytreelady Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Yes, there is a point when the term becomes unacceptable to be used....
    It goes both ways though.
    I don't appreciate thin girls saying they are curvy either.... Unless those 33 hips have a 22 inch waist, you aren't curvy.

Yea, I'm bigger and even though I'm 36-26-37.5, I don't consider myself curvy either.

Curvy is a term deemed in my eyes for women like Beyonce or Scarlett Johanson.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    Why is anyone offended if someone who is fat but doesn't have the "ideal" hip-to-waist ratio wants to call themselves curvy? Who cares? Enough with the body shaming, lets all just love our body SHAPE (which can't be changed as opposed to SIZE) whether it's curvy or straight up and down!

No one is offended. Once again jumping to ridiculous conclusions. SO body shaming either. Just stating personal definitions of what "curvy" is. Curvy looks great, and so does the opposite!

Did you read the original post? The OP said they were annoyed when the term curvy was applied to overweight people in general, I hardly think it's a stretch to assume they were offended if they were annoyed. That's great if you think curvy and the opposite look great, but I didn't read any posts on here praising ruler shaped bodies with undefined waists because let's be real, it's not a desired body type by most of the population (again, not talking body fat %, just natural body shapes).

All I'm saying in, why is it of such concern what other people want to label their body shape as, whether it's accurate or not?

No, actually, if you read my post PROPERLY, I said the media paints anyone as overweight as curvy.

Meaning, to the media, overweight = curvy.

NOT meaning 'overweight people can't be curvy'.

Again, in my original post, I stated that curviness has f u ck all to do with weight (unless you're so fat, it's hidden), it's to do with shape and bone structure.

NOTHING TO DO WITH WEIGHT OR FAT PEOPLE OR OBESE PEOPLE OR RACISM OR SEXISM OR MISOGYNY OR WHATEVER THE HELL ELSE EVERYONE IS TRYING TO SAY (deliberately without punctuation)

Sigh.

Is it my turn to sigh now? *sigh*

Here is your original post, verbatim:
    Am I the only one who gets irritated by the painting of anyone slightly chubby, overweight or even grossly (morbidly) obese as 'curvy'? The media's a big fan of it, for one.

In my eyes, curves are the SHAPE of your body, for EG - Small waist, wider hips etc, and you can be curvy whether fat, skinny or inbetween.

Your thoughts?

Well, you asked for my thoughts and I gave them because I'm bored as hell right now :laugh:

Yeah, you said "the media is a big fan [of using "curvy" as a blanket term for fat], for one" but curvy is not a term exclusive to media use only, and while media and society reflect each other at times, they are not exactly one in the same.

You don't like when "curvy" is applied to fat (notice I said fat, and not chubby, or rubenesque, or any other sugar-coated term for FAT? yeah, I don't sugar-coat either, fat is fat) and I am guessing the reason being because you classify yourself as curvy based on your own hip-to-waist ratio, and you don't want to be lumped in the same category as fat people (who are body shape curvy or fat "curvy", but fat all the same), when it comes down to it, nitty gritty.

I agree that curves are about shape, and a lot of people/media/society use curvy as a euphemism for overweight, but to say that your comments have nothing to do with fat people make no sense in regards to your first comment.

SIGH.
  • mushroomcup
    mushroomcup Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    While I understand the term "curvy" in the same way as the OP (someone who has an hourglass or perhaps pear-shaped figure), I don't care at all if a large woman calls herself curvy, even if I don't see it that way. Any time someone has a good self-image, I'm all for it. I'm not into shaming and I think it's for each person to decide what s/he is comfortable with. The only issue I have with larger women talking about curves is if they say something like, "I don't want to be a stick figure: real women are curvy."
  • 1953Judith
    1953Judith Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    How about this?

1268093703G48xgeM-580x556.jpg

I'm 58 years old with a ruptured L3 in my spine (due to chemo), I'm 5 pounds from goal weight (normal bmi); my 82 year old mother suffers from severe curvature of the spine and I've observed here daily pain.

I've been fascinated with determining whether this thread is dealing with pet peeves, semantics, stereotyping, prejudice; I think this enlightens me.
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options
    Why is anyone offended if someone who is fat but doesn't have the "ideal" hip-to-waist ratio wants to call themselves curvy? Who cares? Enough with the body shaming, lets all just love our body SHAPE (which can't be changed as opposed to SIZE) whether it's curvy or straight up and down!

No one is offended. Once again jumping to ridiculous conclusions. SO body shaming either. Just stating personal definitions of what "curvy" is. Curvy looks great, and so does the opposite!

Did you read the original post? The OP said they were annoyed when the term curvy was applied to overweight people in general, I hardly think it's a stretch to assume they were offended if they were annoyed. That's great if you think curvy and the opposite look great, but I didn't read any posts on here praising ruler shaped bodies with undefined waists because let's be real, it's not a desired body type by most of the population (again, not talking body fat %, just natural body shapes).

All I'm saying in, why is it of such concern what other people want to label their body shape as, whether it's accurate or not?

No, actually, if you read my post PROPERLY, I said the media paints anyone as overweight as curvy.

Meaning, to the media, overweight = curvy.

NOT meaning 'overweight people can't be curvy'.

Again, in my original post, I stated that curviness has f u ck all to do with weight (unless you're so fat, it's hidden), it's to do with shape and bone structure.

NOTHING TO DO WITH WEIGHT OR FAT PEOPLE OR OBESE PEOPLE OR RACISM OR SEXISM OR MISOGYNY OR WHATEVER THE HELL ELSE EVERYONE IS TRYING TO SAY (deliberately without punctuation)

Sigh.

Is it my turn to sigh now? *sigh*

Here is your original post, verbatim:
    Am I the only one who gets irritated by the painting of anyone slightly chubby, overweight or even grossly (morbidly) obese as 'curvy'? The media's a big fan of it, for one.

In my eyes, curves are the SHAPE of your body, for EG - Small waist, wider hips etc, and you can be curvy whether fat, skinny or inbetween.

Your thoughts?

Well, you asked for my thoughts and I gave them because I'm bored as hell right now :laugh:

Yeah, you said "the media is a big fan [of using "curvy" as a blanket term for fat], for one" but curvy is not a term exclusive to media use only, and while media and society reflect each other at times, they are not exactly one in the same.

You don't like when "curvy" is applied to fat (notice I said fat, and not chubby, or rubenesque, or any other sugar-coated term for FAT? yeah, I don't sugar-coat either, fat is fat) and I am guessing the reason being because you classify yourself as curvy based on your own hip-to-waist ratio, and you don't want to be lumped in the same category as fat people (who are body shape curvy or fat "curvy", but fat all the same), when it comes down to it, nitty gritty.

I agree that curves are about shape, and a lot of people/media/society use curvy as a euphemism for overweight, but to say that your comments have nothing to do with fat people make no sense in regards to your first comment.

SIGH.

Sigh. I don't care about being in the same category as fat girls because I'm fat.

Sigh. I don't care if curvy is applied to a fat curvy person, I mind when a person is called curvy simply because they're fat.

Sigh. My comments were to do with the media thinking fat = curves. My comments weren't to do with thinking fat people can't be curvy.

Sigh. Again. I am fat. And I am curvy. And I don't think weight correlates with curves, or lack thereof, unless you're so fat your curves are hidden.

Le sigh.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    christina hendricks is not curvy...she is fat. here are pictures of her in a bathing suit. we are so used to seeing people who are morbidly obese that we think people who are fat/overweight are normal.

http://skinnyvscurvy.com/christina-hendricks/christina-hendricks-swimsuit.html
  • katydid25
    katydid25 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I've read all 12 pages of this thread and I still fail to understand why this matters so much to you. The only explaination I can come up with is that you're proud of your body shape, but don't want to be on a parallel with women bigger than you are.

It's been said before, but I'm going to say it again. It shouldn't matter what term a woman uses to describe herself in order to feel beautiful. It should only matter that she DOES feel beautiful. We need to start supporting each other and stop this contanstant sabotaging. It's only making a bad problem worse.

"Be kind and compassionate and the whole world will be your friend."
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    I've read all 12 pages of this thread and I still fail to understand why this matters so much to you. The only explaination I can come up with is that you're proud of your body shape, but don't want to be on a parallel with women bigger than you are.

It's been said before, but I'm going to say it again. It shouldn't matter what term a woman uses to describe herself in order to feel beautiful. It should only matter that she DOES feel beautiful. We need to start supporting each other and stop this contanstant sabotaging. It's only making a bad problem worse.

"Be kind and compassionate and the whole world will be your friend."

^^THIS^^
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options

but if she's happy with her fat body, surely she wouldn't need to lie to herself and pretend her rolls of fat are "curves"?
    She'd just say, "yeah I'm fat and I love it"
    not, "I'm fat, but I'm gonna tell everyone it's just curves"
This discussion has been closed.