Fat =/= curvy

Options

Replies

• lmfbs
    lmfbs Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I am not saying 'grossly obese' as in 'ew', I am using grossly obese as in the medical term, grossly meaning extremely. Please don't jump to conclusions.

The word you're looking for is 'morbidly'.

I put that into the original post now, but I am pretty sure it's a widely used term and not derogatory.

I just wanted to say, the term grossly obese is not derogatory. Gross can also mean:

1.flagrant and extreme

It doesnt always have to mean:

2.Obscene or vulgar.

People take offense to things like this. And THIS is why society uses the term "curvy" because it makes it ok then to be grossly obese.

Thank you.

It's like, when they say gross loan, they not talking about obsecenity. I wish people would stop jumping to conclusions. I wouldn't refer to an obese person as gross other than in my head. There's no need for it.

Just an FYI - referring to them as gross 'in your head' is still a judgemental, disgusting thing for someone to do. From this I can take it that when you said 'grossly', you did mean gross, not extremely. It's not often I see someone being so blatent about being an ugly person.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    christina hendricks is not curvy...she is fat. here are pictures of her in a bathing suit. we are so used to seeing people who are morbidly obese that we think people who are fat/overweight are normal.

http://skinnyvscurvy.com/christina-hendricks/christina-hendricks-swimsuit.html

I think you've got into your head that the "Hollywood norm" is what "normal" is...Christina Hendricks is beautiful and yes, she's curvy.

she is in no way healthy/not fat...whatever in those bathing suit pics. she is a pretty girl but she is fat in those pics. i think it is your perception that is distorted. you honestly think those thighs are indicative of a healthy person?
  • adrian_indy
    adrian_indy Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Shouldn't anyone who is not made up of nothing but angles be able to call themselves curvy. As log as you have one curve, you meet the requirement. The point is, yes, a lot of fat women call themselves curvy to make themselves feel better, just like people who who act like a-hole like to believe they are just being honest.

Le sigh.
  • abberbabber
    abberbabber Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    christina hendricks is not curvy...she is fat. here are pictures of her in a bathing suit. we are so used to seeing people who are morbidly obese that we think people who are fat/overweight are normal.

I think you've got into your head that the "Hollywood norm" is what "normal" is...Christina Hendricks is beautiful and yes, she's curvy.

she is in no way healthy/not fat...whatever in those bathing suit pics. she is a pretty girl but she is fat in those pics. i think it is your perception that is distorted. you honestly think those thighs are indicative of a healthy person?

Uh, yes. They're not huge. So she's not Kiera Knightly thin. Big effing deal. She still has a killer body.
  • lmfbs
    Options
    No, but I do find it irritating (gross, even) when people use the term 'grossly obese'.

Sorry, but if someone is 600 pounds and grossly obese then i would be grossed out. I just find people who are that size gross.

First of all, do you know how few people actually weigh 600 pounds? You weren't referring to 600 pound people and you know it. Those people never say they're "curvy." And the correct term for this, as pointed out, is MORBIDLY obese. Secondly, finding any people "gross" is cause for concern. They're PEOPLE for heaven's sake, and if you can't respect a person as a person because of how you feel about their appearance you need to assess your values because they're skewed.

Thanks for your response to that. I'm still in awe that someone would say something so rude and hateful.
  • lizzynewm
    lizzynewm Posts: 199 Member
    Options

I seriously have to laugh. That the best you people can come up with?

Where's the snarky and high-horse response to my post? I feel so ignored...
  • spacecampsucks
    spacecampsucks Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    If women can't even respect other women, how do we expect men to treat us with respect? Who cares what another woman looks like and who cares what she calls herself. As long as she's happy, you need to be happy for her. It's not your problem to worry about someone who is obese and it's certainly not your place to judge her. Curvy, fat, skinny, obese, tall, short, whatever. We're all women and we all deserve to be treated like humans and to be treated with respect. If a women has rolls or if she has no hips at all, she's allowed identify with being curvy. There are no rules and it's stupid to let that offend you. Just because a fat woman thinks she's curvy, it does not mean everyone else is going to think you're fat, too.

Women have enough problems in this world without having to deal with women putting each other down on a daily basis.

Oh here we go. The whole 'you go sister' talk.

Look. I don't care if we're women. That means nothing except we were born with a vagina. If we can talk about men's bodies, we can talk about women's bodies without this turning into a feminist issue.

Women have enough problems in this world without having to deal with women putting each other down on a daily basis? Oh, because this thread is to 'attack' women. Oh, poor things. Yes, let's just change definitions and refer to everyone as curvy, just to protect those fragile women.

Give me a break, please. It irritates me. Simple as. I don't know why people are trying to make this into an analytical, sociological debate.

Maybe because some people have the intelligence to delve deeper than "it annoys me!1!1!" and when faced with an opportunity to discuss in greater depth, of course they naturally would.

This thread has a lot of body shaming, which is awful (just for the record before the OP replies with "Le sigh", I am not referring to you as such) but what I find most irritating is the ignorance of it... Saying things like

"I hate it when someone refers to someone really overweight as curvy... To me, they really don't have a shape... They're just rolly... So, when I consider myself curvy, I don't like being put in the same category as "rolly"."

...And blatantly not even knowing that could be offensive to some. It's kind of worrying.

And it's not just that. There are lots of little things that on the surface seen fine but to someone with BDD (or other disorders... Or hell, even just insecurities) can be very triggering.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not some major PC freak, I just think people need to be aware of what they say and how it could be perceived by others.

Once again, this isn't aimed at the OP, I don't believe you meant any harm in the original post, I first read it as a light hearted discussion. Unfortunately, other issues arose as the thread progressed.

Perception is a funny thing, I guess.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options

Uh, yes. They're not huge. So she's not Kiera Knightly thin. Big effing deal. She still has a killer body.

they are huge. you prove my point that we are so used to seeing morbidly obese people that when we see people who are just obese they look normal. those thighs are in no way normal on a person with a healthy BF%.
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    I knew what your meant by grossly obese, same as if someone was talking about a misunderstanding as "grossly mistaken."

The only contrbutions to the topic I have are:

1) Why are people who are offended by "grossly" so much happier with "morbidly"?

morbid [mawr-bid]

—adjective

1. suggesting an unhealthy mental state or attitude; unwholesomely gloomy, sensitive, extreme, etc.: a morbid interest in death.
    2. affected by, caused by, causing, or characteristic of disease.
    3. pertaining to diseased parts: morbid anatomy.
    4. gruesome; grisly.

How the feck does that make you feel better about yourself? Besides it being a medical term

2) i also really dislike when obese ladies make a deal of how large their breasts are, when its only becaise they are large all over. That may be because Ive been flat chested through fat and thin ;p

Edited for my bad typos, oop!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  • abberbabber
    Options

they are huge. you prove my point that we are so used to seeing morbidly obese people that when we see people who are just obese they look normal. those thighs are in no way normal on a person with a healthy BF%.

Huge? Seriously dude?? You prove MY point that you think all women should have itty bitty bodies. Could she stand to lose a few pounds? Meh, probably...but she is by no means FAT.
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options

Where's the snarky and high-horse response to my post? I feel so ignored...

Poor you.
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options
    No, but I do find it irritating (gross, even) when people use the term 'grossly obese'.

Sorry, but if someone is 600 pounds and grossly obese then i would be grossed out. I just find people who are that size gross.

First of all, do you know how few people actually weigh 600 pounds? You weren't referring to 600 pound people and you know it. Those people never say they're "curvy." And the correct term for this, as pointed out, is MORBIDLY obese. Secondly, finding any people "gross" is cause for concern. They're PEOPLE for heaven's sake, and if you can't respect a person as a person because of how you feel about their appearance you need to assess your values because they're skewed.

Thanks for your response to that. I'm still in awe that someone would say something so rude and hateful.

Just to clarify that I did not say that --->

• abberbabber
    Options

Huge? Seriously dude?? You prove MY point that you think all women should have itty bitty bodies. Could she stand to lose a few pounds? Meh, probably...but she is by no means FAT.

Plus, the point of the OP stands that even with some extra weight, she is still CURVY because her waist has an indent and she has hips. So...there. lol
  • lmfbs
    Options
    I knew what your meant by grossly obese, same as if someone was talking about a misunderstanding as "grossly mistaken."

The only contrbutions to the topic I have are:

1) Why are people who are offended by "grossly" so much happier with "morbidly"?

morbid [mawr-bid]

—adjective

1. suggesting an unhealthy mental state or attitude; unwholesomely gloomy, sensitive, extreme, etc.: a morbid interest in death.
    2. affected by, caused by, causing, or characteristic of disease.
    3. pertaining to diseased parts: morbid anatomy.
    4. gruesome; grisly.

How the feck does that make you feel better about yourself? Besides it being a medical term

2) i also really dislike when obese ladies make a deal of how large their breasts are, when its only becaise they are large all over. That may be because Ive been flat chested through fat and thin ;p

Edited for my bad typos, oop!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The difference is one is a value judgement (ie you're overweight and therefore gross) and the other is based on actual, measurable things. You know, like disease. It is possible to be obese and NOT morbidly obese - obese and not disease riddled. It is not possible to call someone grossly obese without either intentionally or unintentionally imposing a value judgement on that person based SOLELY ON THEIR WEIGHT.

So to answer your question, I'm offended when people call obese people 'grossly obese' because it's a disgusting way to characterise another person. I'm not offended at the term morbidly obese when used as a medical term because it is a medical term based on measurable information.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I'm overweight, and curvy. 38D-33-45 measurements.

You can be both, but I get your drift OP and agree.

Curvy is more shape than size. Plenty of thin women are curvy and plenty of obese women are not. I do hear it often misused by obese or overweight women to describe themselves or others.

Examples:

SJP - Sarah Jessica Parker - thin and curvy

Sarah-Jessica-Parker-Is-Pink-Hot.jpg

Kim Kardashian - Average size and curvy

4548c397ea01a2fb_Kim-Kardashian.jpg

Christina Hendricks - Large size and curvy

168164.jpg

I think all three of these women are gorgeous, by the way.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options

lol are you serious? Yeah, she has some extra fat on her body, but to decide that she suffers from health problems because her thighs are bigger than what you deem a healthy size is inane.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I've read all 12 pages of this thread and I still fail to understand why this matters so much to you. The only explaination I can come up with is that you're proud of your body shape, but don't want to be on a parallel with women bigger than you are.

It's been said before, but I'm going to say it again. It shouldn't matter what term a woman uses to describe herself in order to feel beautiful. It should only matter that she DOES feel beautiful. We need to start supporting each other and stop this contanstant sabotaging. It's only making a bad problem worse.

"Be kind and compassionate and the whole world will be your friend."

:laugh:

i just have to laugh. Yes, the only explanation there is for this being a pet peeve of mine is that I MUST not want to be compared larger people.

Then maybe I'll just be blunt about it. It's a pet peeve of yours because you are a downright ugly person. In my honest opinion, the only people who feel the need to put someone down for any reason or who are 'peeved' by someone elses actions that have NO direct effect on them, are people looking to build themselves up.

Let it go. I promise you - you're life will be so much better if/when you do!

The OP has a right to her opinion, and in this case she's objecting to the use of the euphemism "curvy" when people mean overweight or obese. "Curvy" is also often used to describe "ethnic" women who aren't built like rulers. Some don't mind, others object.

As for the Christina Hendricks photo, judging from that alone, I'd call her "curvy," but I don't think she's fat. I've read that she doesn't look that large in person. I don't think she's that tall, and I think her hips are 38" or 39" at most.
  • budhandy
    budhandy Posts: 305 Member
    Options

here some info about her
    Christina Hendricks Weight?
    70 kilograms of 154 pounds

How Tall Is Christina Hendricks?
    5′ 7½” (1.71 m)

What Are Christina Hendricks Measurements?
    36C-23-36

What is Christina Hendricks bra size?
    38-DDD

Date Of Birth
    3 May 1975, Knoxville, Tennessee, USA

Birth Name
    Christina Rene Hendricks
    skinny? no, fat? no, healthy yes
  • lmfbs
    Options

Just to clarify that I did not say that --->

Don't worry, I don't have the rude things you've said mixed up with the rude things other have said.
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I am not saying 'grossly obese' as in 'ew', I am using grossly obese as in the medical term, grossly meaning extremely. Please don't jump to conclusions.

Medical terms for obesity:

1. Obese class 1
    2. Obese class 2
    3. Morbidly obese
    3. Hyperobese.
This discussion has been closed.