Harsh words & bashing instead of support & motivation?

Options

Replies

• p0pr0cksnc0ke
    p0pr0cksnc0ke Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I find that people aren't very open to contradictory opinions which generally leads to hostility. Many people just to need to remember that people aren't always going to pat them on the back. Don't start a forum thread if you don't want to hear varying opinions. And why not be open to other people's opinions because you are likely to learn something new.

Ditto. :smile:
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Also I think some people don't realize that what worked for them might not work for someone else and if you state what works for you you get jumped on. I always make a point of stating that what I'm saying is what worked for me and that everyone is different. I still get flack for it and told that I'm wrong or doing it wrong or whatever.

(an example that comes to mind are the constant questions about eating back exercise calories).
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Support and motivation are meaningless if it's a bad idea they're supporting. It's not helping anyone to tell them they're doing a great job if they're on the wrong track.
    applause_1_.gif
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I have Radiohead tickets.:flowerforyou:
  • annabelsmommy
    annabelsmommy Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    You are absolutely right. I don't understand why some people get off on trying to hurt others. Let's help one another.

I agree with this - I was shocked when I first joined MFP and saw how nasty some people were. It made me think twice about the whole program. We all have the same goal so why wouldn't we be supportive of each other?
  • twisted88
    twisted88 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    There is only one way to get fit. The right way. If you can't get on board with doing it right then your just doing it wrong.

morning-workout.jpg

Oh wait, your being sincere. Then yes you can come over and play with my toys.

Why is it that everyone who makes these photo memes has such lousy grammar?

I've wondered the same thing. :grumble:
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    What gets me is this is a weight loss site not a bodybuilding site. While I have heard some good information, there is a lot of "broscience" here as well. While weight loss and exercise does go hand in hand I feel there are so many bodybuilding sites, blogs,etc. I think MFP should focus on the weight loss. Of course, I will most likely catch hell for this...so bring on the hate !!! LOL

Thank you for saying this!

I've noticed that there are a group of people on here who seem determined to make people feel bad for just wanting to lose WEIGHT and not caring about bodybuilding... You're awesome. :)
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Sadly, so much is miss interpreted. Additionally, some things are just best said BRUTALLY HONEST - of course, that is all within interpretation as well.

The passion for success through healthy means is rabid on MFP. Combine that with the amount idiocy for the laziness of wanting to search for information and the ever growing repetitive posts about crap that people don't care about, crap-*kitten* fad diets that only wreck your system or you completely, and those who believe they know all equates to seriously butt-hurt individuals.
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    I have been shown the error of my ways...thank you for pointing out how my snarkiness may effect others. I will try to be a better MFP citizen from now on and agree with everyone and never have my own opinion.
  • stephenatl09
    stephenatl09 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    What gets me is this is a weight loss site not a bodybuilding site. While I have heard some good information, there is a lot of "broscience" here as well. While weight loss and exercise does go hand in hand I feel there are so many bodybuilding sites, blogs,etc. I think MFP should focus on the weight loss. Of course, I will most likely catch hell for this...so bring on the hate !!! LOL

I am enraged at this post, I despise this post, I hate everything in the post. 'Why', I hear you ask? Where are your commas man? Use some go*dam commas in your paragraphs!

THERE - you see why people turn into bashers on this site. Grammar murderers like this one.

/going off to lie down in a dark room.

:laugh: :glasses: :tongue:

here is the perfect example..
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    I recently read several posts where fellow MFPers are saying harsh things to one another or pushing their views on others. Aren't we all here for the same reason? To get healthy and maintain a healthy lifestyle for the duration? The last thing I want to see is someone being put down for trying. There is NO excuse for bullies no matter what age, race, weight, etc. Everyone is entitled to their own views, opinions and beliefs and although you do NOT have to agree with them, please keep your negative and self-esteem crunching comments off and just agree to disagree and move on with your own successes. Now, let's get back to helping each other and MOTIVATING and SUPPORTING each other in our journeys! Thanks, and good luck to all!

Please don't misunderstand the truth and something you need to hear vs wanting to hear, with bullying. Don't cry bully just b/c it's not something you don't like or agree with.
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    I encountered this for the first time when telling someone they shouldn't completely cut something out of their diet (ie fat, carbs, etc)

I got so much crap from everyone else on the thread.

Seriously, I was just piping in to say something might not be the BEST choice, and I get 3 pages of people bashing me for it?

ok.jpg
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    And remember... for the love of Buddha do not, I repeat DO NOT mention POOPERS!
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options

You are incorrect. MFP is a FITNESS site, not a weight-loss site. There are people here to lose, gain, and tone up.
  • Reedern
    Reedern Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I recently read several posts where fellow MFPers are saying harsh things to one another or pushing their views on others. Aren't we all here for the same reason? To get healthy and maintain a healthy lifestyle for the duration? The last thing I want to see is someone being put down for trying. There is NO excuse for bullies no matter what age, race, weight, etc. Everyone is entitled to their own views, opinions and beliefs and although you do NOT have to agree with them, please keep your negative and self-esteem crunching comments off and just agree to disagree and move on with your own successes. Now, let's get back to helping each other and MOTIVATING and SUPPORTING each other in our journeys! Thanks, and good luck to all!

Please don't misunderstand the truth and something you need to hear vs wanting to hear, with bullying. Don't cry bully just b/c it's not something you don't like or agree with.

Telling someone they are ugly or not attractive is being a bully and these are the kinds of things I have read in some of the forums. This is the type of comments that I am referring to. Not just a difference in opinion about someone's meal plan or workout.
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Yep. Every time the words "bully" is used in such an instance, it lessens its true meaning.

My best mentors in life have been those that cheer my successes, but also call me out when I'm wrong and help me get back on track.
  • nic_ci
    nic_ci Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I am here for the cupcakes with bacon sprinkles and to make sarcastic comments AND to become more fit and healthy. I don't have to accept anybody's opinion that contradicts fact. Now, it's time to crank up the punk rock because all this sappiness is driving me crazy!

Love that... Halaious!!!

I love sarcasm from my friends...sometimes it's needed!! But you shouldn't make people feel bad just to make yourself feel better!
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    1906734-1595201_oh_look_its_this_thread_again_super.jpg
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options
    If you find some thing offensive, REPORT IT to the moderators.

That said, I agree with you: we should be all be supportive of each other.:flowerforyou:

WOW! that is unbelievable how you can type that when you were so mean to someone on the motivation and support board yesterday!!!!

This thread

TOPIC: haven't lost since March
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I have Radiohead tickets.:flowerforyou:

I've seen this multiple times. You asking for a date or looking to sell? I'm not interested, but I was just wondering if you were just being random.