Harsh words & bashing instead of support & motivation?

Options

Replies

• GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Not every person is born with a supportive and motivational personality.

You cannot force everyone to be the same kind of person that you happen to prefer. You take your motivation and support from those that work best with your own personality. Leave the rest.
    This is why I derive most of my support and *kitten*-kicking from my friends list, and not the forums. As you find folks in the forums with similar goals or personalities, assemble your team, and you can go to them for knowledge and support.
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    If you find some thing offensive, REPORT IT to the moderators.

That said, I agree with you: we should be all be supportive of each other.:flowerforyou:

WOW! that is unbelievable how you can type that when you were so mean to someone on the motivation and support board yesterday!!!!

This thread

TOPIC: haven't lost since March

:Pops open a Budlight: Here we go...
  • jlbay
    jlbay Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I've been on MFP for a while now...and the nastiness tends to come and go in waves. The same with the trolls. But, ain't that the Internet?

It does get old to see the same arguments OVER and over, but I just remind myself that I can't control anyone else and try to live and let live. Some people just can't let that stuff go and have to comment and can't stop themselves even after they've made their point. It is hard to see people talking about eating 500 calories while running a marathon every day (or blindly following fad diets, etc) and not feel frustrated, but as a form anorexic, I know that no one can save you from yourself.

Don't let it get you down. There are plenty of people who know how to play well with others on this site. Ignore the rest.

"roid troll" - Love it!
  • Reedern
    Reedern Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    You are absolutely right. I don't understand why some people get off on trying to hurt others. Let's help one another.

I agree with this - I was shocked when I first joined MFP and saw how nasty some people were. It made me think twice about the whole program. We all have the same goal so why wouldn't we be supportive of each other?

But not all of us have the same goal. And honestly, I'm not one of those pat you on the head types every time you do something well/make a good decision. Do I give the occasional "way to go" or "congrats" on some of my friends' walls/posts? Sometimes, but not very often, because the ones that "need it", generally have a lot of head patters already and don't need my comment to join the other 50 comments saying "good job".

LOL, I am not implying that you need to pat everyone on the back all day and say WTG, just saying keep the negative and BULLYING comments out. They aren't needed.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    assemble your team, and you can go to them for knowledge and support.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    You cannot force everyone to be the same kind of person that you happen to prefer. You take your motivation and support from those that work best with your own personality. Leave the rest.

So true. I don't know why people expect that just because someone signs up for a calorie counting website they're suddenly going to be all smiles and encouragement.

And that's the funny thing about these threads, which pop up over and over, sometimes by the same poster. Eventually you find out that what they really want is to BAN everyone who doesn't agree with them.

Not such a nice and supportive crowd after all...

I'd rather disagree with someone and have that be that, rather than insist that everyone behave the way I tell them to or they can be banned.
  • onedayillbeamilf
    onedayillbeamilf Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Aren't we all here for the same reason?

No.

I'm here trolling for sexual partners.

Me too! But I still...haven't found...what I'm looking for. No, I still...haven't found...what I'm looking for.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    There is only one way to get fit. The right way. If you can't get on board with doing it right then your just doing it wrong.

morning-workout.jpg

Oh wait, your being sincere. Then yes you can come over and play with my toys.

Why is it that everyone who makes these photo memes has such lousy grammar?

I'm not sure. To lazy?
  • annabelsmommy
    annabelsmommy Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    The number one, and maybe only, problem with this forum is the fact that it is still just a computer screen to some people. They don't realize that there words are really affecting the person on the other side. Everyone needs to keep in mind that every post is attached to a real person! Much of the time people who are just looking for support from others who are in the similar situation as they are. Expressing ideas and opinions is one thing but when it comes to being ignorant and judgemental just keep it to yourself.

right on ^
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    You're so sweet. I hope people don't bash on you. But yes, it is agreed. We are here for fitness. Just some people like to say "my bro science is better than your bro science." Also, one particular guy uses roids and LOVES trolling. I enjoy it when he's an OP.

I had never heard the term Broscience before this site. I looked it up on urban dictionary and got two very contradictory definitions

1)
    Broscience is the predominant brand of reasoning in bodybuilding circles where the anecdotal reports of jacked dudes are considered more credible than scientific research.

2)
    A sarcastic term implying that the time tested, muscle building wealth of knowledge developed and utilized by successful, experienced bodybuilders is inferior to the continually shifting hypotheses of articulate, textbook-savvy 155lb. chemists with little or no real world first-person experience to substantiate their conclusions. The term "Broscience" is oft repeated on bodybuilding and fitness oriented internet forums in an attempt to demonstrate online dominance as a substitution for success in the arena of actual bodybuilding.
  • k2quiere
    k2quiere Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options

This is why I derive most of my support and *kitten*-kicking from my friends list, and not the forums. As you find folks in the forums with similar goals or personalities, assemble your team, and you can go to them for knowledge and support.

Glad to have you on my team! :flowerforyou:
  • LondonEliza
    LondonEliza Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Aren't we all here for the same reason?

No.

I'm here trolling for sexual partners.

Me too! But I still...haven't found...what I'm looking for. No, I still...haven't found...what I'm looking for.

Oh, u 2 soooooo funny.....
  • GasMasterFlash
    Options
    Obligatory...

61RmWFu1w6L.jpg
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    You're so sweet. I hope people don't bash on you. But yes, it is agreed. We are here for fitness. Just some people like to say "my bro science is better than your bro science." Also, one particular guy uses roids and LOVES trolling. I enjoy it when he's an OP.

Broscience totally came into play during a discussion my friend IRL posted about cutting out refined sugar and replacing with honey, Brown bread for white, etc. She's psyched to be learning about better food choices and how food can efffect your health. A couple of bros joined a very positive conversation about learning better food choices and bashed on my poor friend about how she's stupid, and a calorie is a calorie, and cutting out all sugars will kill her. Like that's what she said!!! She called me practically in tears, saying she's too sensitive for the forums and shouldn't post anything again. I replied to him telling him to troll other more asinine topics if he wants to be contrary. His reply to me? But there's only 1 tablespoon of sugar in white bread... Get a life buddy!

14839892.png

I'm so sorry that happened. I don't think I'm allowed to but could name all 3 of them right now. Grrrrr.
  • GasMasterFlash
    Options

Glad to have you on my team! :flowerforyou:
    Glad to have you kicking my *kitten*, buddy. :happy:
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Obligatory...

61RmWFu1w6L.jpg

that's just hot
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    There is only one way to get fit. The right way. If you can't get on board with doing it right then your just doing it wrong.

Oh wait, your being sincere. Then yes you can come over and play with my toys.

Why is it that everyone who makes these photo memes has such lousy grammar?

I'm not sure. To lazy?

Quit posibly. Tha etra leter iz har 2 tip.
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    As with anything internet based, there are some people who are just here for the wrong reasons. You just have to ignore them as they crave attention; and hope they'll go and get some fresh air and exercise instead! If they're too annoying, then report them.
  • weightlosshippie
    weightlosshippie Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I think it's important to recognize when people are looking to help, too. If someone writes, "I'm just starting HCG..." that makes me concerned, and I want to help.
  • annabelsmommy
    annabelsmommy Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    You are absolutely right. I don't understand why some people get off on trying to hurt others. Let's help one another.

I agree with this - I was shocked when I first joined MFP and saw how nasty some people were. It made me think twice about the whole program. We all have the same goal so why wouldn't we be supportive of each other?

But not all of us have the same goal. And honestly, I'm not one of those pat you on the head types every time you do something well/make a good decision. Do I give the occasional "way to go" or "congrats" on some of my friends' walls/posts? Sometimes, but not very often, because the ones that "need it", generally have a lot of head patters already and don't need my comment to join the other 50 comments saying "good job".

I wasn't saying anything about how you motivate your friends on your profile, I was talking about on the message boards. I don't expect anyone to congratulate me when I lose half a pound though I do really appreciate the people that take the time out of their day to offer it to me. And I may be mistaken, but I thought we did all have the same general goal - to be or get fit and get or stay healthy?