Harsh words & bashing instead of support & motivation?

Options
18910111214»

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    this will be my last post...i am moving away from MFP. See ya'll

How will you see us if you're gone? Are you stalking us????

*checks for cameras*
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Also I think some people don't realize that what worked for them might not work for someone else and if you state what works for you you get jumped on. I always make a point of stating that what I'm saying is what worked for me and that everyone is different. I still get flack for it and told that I'm wrong or doing it wrong or whatever.

(an example that comes to mind are the constant questions about eating back exercise calories).

I was bashed to H!@# for saying that i stay away from too much sodium and man made chemicals in food. The thought was that even heating food casues a chemical reaction...REALLY??? that the same as eating PHOSPORIC ACID??

Why do you hate potatoes?

I don't hate potatoes - I just choose to eat them closer to the way they come out of the ground instead of altered into little bits of themselves.

You don't like cutting up potatoes?
    That must make it difficult to swallow them.

And bananas. Bananas have phosphorous, too.

I'll miss you!!
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Also I think some people don't realize that what worked for them might not work for someone else and if you state what works for you you get jumped on. I always make a point of stating that what I'm saying is what worked for me and that everyone is different. I still get flack for it and told that I'm wrong or doing it wrong or whatever.

(an example that comes to mind are the constant questions about eating back exercise calories).

I was bashed to H!@# for saying that i stay away from too much sodium and man made chemicals in food. The thought was that even heating food casues a chemical reaction...REALLY??? that the same as eating PHOSPORIC ACID??

I don't hate potatoes - I just choose to eat them closer to the way they come out of the ground instead of altered into little bits of themselves.

But only if you cut them up.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    fox-say-1-o.gif
    But... But... What does the fox say?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    fox-say-1-o.gif
    But... But... What does the fox say?

Ring-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding?
    Wa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pow?
    Hatee-hatee-hatee-ho?
    Joff-tchoff-tchoffo-tchoffo-tchoff?

Nope.

Wa-wa-way-do Wub-wid-bid-dum-way-do Wa-wa-way-do
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options

now the mystery of why small bits of potato are bad will go unanswered forever.
  • gr8ntime
    gr8ntime Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Amen to that.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I can't believe you guys responded to a thread after a whole 48 hours of inactivity.
  • Reedern
    Reedern Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I love studying the kinds of posts that people write in the forums. Like... what kinds of topics trend well with tickers that never move? Just a little MFP fun fact. The message is more important than it's giftwrapping :heart:
    Yeah that's part of the research I want to do. It definitely appears that people who complain about other people being "mean" on an internet forum aren't nearly as successful. I wonder if it is a result of externalizing control/blame.

Interesting that you can judge someone based on a ticker... I haven't updated this for quite some time and nobody knows what I have endured since this original post or what kind of success I have had.. Thanks for your concern and the intelligence to actually get facts before posting. This is exactly what my original comment was in reguards too.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I love studying the kinds of posts that people write in the forums. Like... what kinds of topics trend well with tickers that never move? Just a little MFP fun fact. The message is more important than it's giftwrapping :heart:
    Yeah that's part of the research I want to do. It definitely appears that people who complain about other people being "mean" on an internet forum aren't nearly as successful. I wonder if it is a result of externalizing control/blame.

Interesting that you can judge someone based on a ticker... I haven't updated this for quite some time and nobody knows what I have endured since this original post or what kind of success I have had.. Thanks for your concern and the intelligence to actually get facts before posting. This is exactly what my original comment was in reguards too.

I suspect his observation was more in general than any one particular case. Your explanation for your individual circumstances does not invalidate what does appear (to me, and apparently at least to one other) to be a pattern here. Obviously, this is at a very early pre-hypothesis stage and nowhere near a conclusion, but that's the point of the research he proposed...

...and by "research", I suspect he meant an actual study...not some kind of veiled insult as you apparently interpreted it.
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    I think people confuse sarcasm with harsh words. People like to have fun, and you may get picked on a bit, but it's not meant to harm. However, there are some that will respond and be total jerks without ever really offereing any sort of advice. Ya just gotta let it all roll off your back, and have some fun yourself.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options

Did you just judge me for noting what topics trend at what stages of weight loss?

I didnt judge anyone, I was noting topic trends :):flowerforyou: (thanks for the sarcasm, i loves it MUAH!)
  • becki129
    Options
    So happy you posted.this. I went to.a forum on my 4th day and it left me very depressed over ppl arguing about a word someone said. I came here for support and I didn't appreciate the post I read
    Good luck to everyone on their road to success!
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    ZOMBIE thread.
  • palwithme
    palwithme Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Nice post. Well said.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »
    ZOMBIE thread.

The best part is that it was already resurrected once before.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »
    ZOMBIE thread.

The best part is that it was already resurrected once before.

LOL.
  • KCoolBeanz
    KCoolBeanz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Sometimes people (and myself for a long time, I'll admit) get caught up in the "oh my god, I have to lose weight. I have to do it all now" and sometimes prescribe to some drastic measures - pills, ridiculous diets that don't work, or they work temporarily and then gain it all back. The world of instant gratification sometimes takes over logic and patience. Sometimes people don't like hearing the reality of it. They don't like hearing that long term, sustainable weight loss and developing healthy habits takes time. That seems to fuel a lot of butthurt that gets way out of hand.