Harsh words & bashing instead of support & motivation?

Options

Replies

• crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    I am not against weights in any way, but I am against certain agendas being pushed and insinuated that that way is the only way to go.

I agree with this.

The problem is, if you are a complete novice to fitness, diet and exercise you may be easily misled. And, if you see one of these posers with their cell phone infront of the mirror types flexing their muscles someone who is trying to lose weight, increase cardiovascular health and meet certain dietary goals may go down the wrong road.

Bodybuilding is unique, fitness and weightloss are similar. BB should at least have its own area of MFP....

See OP...you're not rushing in here with your crusade against ignorance now. I wonder why that is??

So...to the person I quoted. Do I qualify as a bodybuilder? If you think so...you need an adjustment in your education. 99% of the people you're complaining about are into fitness, NOT bodybuilding. I'm about fitness myself...and the strength/endurance to do my job, the strength to be active with my kids...and the strength to pursue my hobbies with every ounce of who I am.

So again...am I a bodybuilder?

Now...I will say something else. I gained that strength...that endurance...that OVERALL level of fitness, without an ounce of your cardio. I lost nearly 40lbs in around 3mos...with nothing but strength training.

So...if you want to talk about sending people down the wrong road...look to your own words.

See OP. Now you can come claim I bashed him.

(Edit ~ Spelling, it was originally posted from my cell)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I am not against weights in any way, but I am against certain agendas being pushed and insinuated that that way is the only way to go.

I agree with this.

The problem is, if you are a complete novice to fitness, diet and exercise you may be easily misled. And, if you see one of these posers with their cell phone infront of the mirror types flexing their muscles someone who is trying to lose weight, increase cardiovascular health and meet certain dietary goals may go down the wrong road.

Bodybuilding is unique, fitness and weightloss are similar. BB should at least have its own area of MFP....

I am sorry - but you are on a thread against bashing, but you are being insulting to some people - a little ironic.

Now, while some of the guys flexing may be total tossers, a lot of them are extremely knowledgeable - and why should they not show the results or their hard work? They are very motivating for people to see and to hear from.

I also need to raise the point - lifting weights does not a body builder make. And a VERY good way to lose weight is to lift heavy
    - which also has additional benefits. Are you saying that you cannot have a goal be fit and lose weight if you lift weights? Are you saying that those that do should not be on the main forum? I for one would think that would be a real loss to the community if these guys were not here - a lot of them really know their *kitten*.

BTW: I eat more, lift heavy and do very little cardio - and am in no way a body builder - should I not be allowed on the site?
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Bodybuilding AND cardio both have their places with the weightloss plans, what does not have a place is anybody stating that EITHER weights alone or cardio only is the way to go. Some people do not seem to realize that BOTH can be done to enhance their weightloss and keep fit.

This ALSO goes, by the way, to how many calories a person consumes in order to lose their weight, some people are on 1800+ per day, others on 1200. The bashing often rears its ugly head at those on the low end of the calories consumed, even though it works for thousands of people (as does the higher calorie amount).

The lessons to be learned is that different things suit different people and we all have to agree to disagree, lest we lose ourselves in our petty arguments that are often more about ego than truth.
  • Reedern
    Reedern Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    The lessons to be learned is that different things suit different people and we all have to agree to disagree, lest we lose ourselves in our petty arguments that are often more about ego than truth.
    [/quote]

Very well stated! Thank you
  • imatoughgirl
    imatoughgirl Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    There are many motivational and inspiring nice people on here. There are also loads of gobby opinionated losers. I laugh at some of the comments people make they have no idea just how ridiculous they sound.

Most people are nice though. I agree that people should beable to post and be supported not bashed by fools x

I agree with this quote. I normally don't do message boards on any website, but with fitness, sometimes others have ideas and methods that work for them that I might see and then try. If I see too much nastiness, I guess I'll stop this one too.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    We're all here for the same reason.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Still?
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    fox-say-1-o.gif
  • stargirlll
    stargirlll Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Most people sound rude when they're trying to legitimately give advice. It's all too easy to 'sound condescending' in text, and I see a lot of people accused of being just that when they are genuinely trying to help. Most people are just concerned for the persons health as this usually happens in topics about eating a certain small calorie amount or something.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    What gets me is this is a weight loss site not a bodybuilding site. While I have heard some good information, there is a lot of "broscience" here as well. While weight loss and exercise does go hand in hand I feel there are so many bodybuilding sites, blogs,etc. I think MFP should focus on the weight loss. Of course, I will most likely catch hell for this...so bring on the hate !!! LOL

It's a whatever-kind-of-site-you-want it to be. Individual profiles are highly customizable to suit any kind of goal. You'll also notice there is a topic in the forums call "Gaining Weight." That would be kind of a strange sub-set of goals for a weight loss only site, don't you think?

You'll also notice there is a section where you can log your weight lifting activities under the heading "exercise." This site is designed for all types of people with all kinds of goals. I use it to connect with other healthy and active people who motivate me to stick to my physical fitness goals and give me ideas for delicious and nutritious meals. Although I'd like to lose a couple more pounds, this is not my primary motivation as my body fat percentage is well with in the healthy range.

Please don't assume because you are using the MFP tools for weight loss that is the only way they are intended to be used.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

enough-internet-cat_zps5f3ae6f8.gif
  • Wildflower0106
    Wildflower0106 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    No we are not all here for the same reason...
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I love studying the kinds of posts that people write in the forums. Like... what kinds of topics trend well with tickers that never move? Just a little MFP fun fact. The message is more important than it's giftwrapping :heart:
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    No we are not all here for the same reason...

Yes we are!!!!!!

Now support me!!!!!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    in for the dinosaur post
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I recently read several posts where fellow MFPers are saying harsh things to one another or pushing their views on others. Aren't we all here for the same reason? To get healthy and maintain a healthy lifestyle for the duration? The last thing I want to see is someone being put down for trying. There is NO excuse for bullies no matter what age, race, weight, etc. Everyone is entitled to their own views, opinions and beliefs and although you do NOT have to agree with them, please keep your negative and self-esteem crunching comments off and just agree to disagree and move on with your own successes. Now, let's get back to helping each other and MOTIVATING and SUPPORTING each other in our journeys! Thanks, and good luck to all!

Unfortunately, no we're not all here for the same reason.
  • brraanndi
    brraanndi Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    We aren't all here for the same thing really, you have to seek out the like minded people and ignore the rest.

I really don't think the forums are bad at all, people just ask alot of stupid questions or seek support when they are doing something that is so not apropriate for their diets that MFP can lock their posts.

If you think an agenda is getting pushed on you and you actually feel pushed, I'd avoid forums if I were you because it's pretty tame here.
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Old thread is OLD
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    ok
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    ok