"Running isn't good for you"

Options

Replies

• Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    Why run when you can get almost the same amount of burn from a brisk walk....

...without the stress on the CNS.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Running is fine, but over the long term it can wear on your joints.
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I had a similar situation occur with my friend/hairdresser. She said "it's not good for your uterus!" I was gobsmacked to say the least. My comeback was that it was my OBGyn who encouraged me to run and that she was a runner too. If anyone should be more worried about my uterus it would be her. I say everything is bad for you in some way. Being overweight is bad for your knees along with a whole host of other issues. Keep up with what you are doing and just make sure you listen to your body if it hurts. Find the best place for you to run so your knee's don't hurt you!
  • jreimund
    jreimund Posts: 64
    Options

Best retort is to smile and walk away with your healthy knees and increasingly finer looking butt.

THIS!!! Keep up your hard work. Your results are your retort. :drinker:
  • rwindover
    rwindover Posts: 20
    Options
    I run 5k five days a week and participate in many 10k races and half marathons...better than me being at my previous weight!
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    My friend is a marathon runner and swears by "bear foot running". You should check it out. It's supposed to be a lot easier on your joints.

Danger! Barefoot isn't for everyone and it's certainly not something that someone who has worn shoes all their life should just up and start doing.

Since you're new to running, bearfoot running is probably a no. Go to a running store and talk to the people there. They will point you to the correct shoes for your feet! I told them I was interested in bearfoot running, but said it would be detrimental to me. I have the proper form for it, but my feet are in bad shape from dancing ballet for many years. I couldn't be happier with my light as a feather brooks runners he sold me. Knee pain? What knee pain? Even being ~50 pounds overweight. No shin splints either, thank you very much!

If you DO have knee pain or shin splints, I highly recommend Chi Running (by Danny Dreyer). Awesome technique, and little to no pain, even being a newbie runner like me! (I'm still working on my breathing, LOL!)
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    If people are running to train up their endurance for 5k's, 10k's, or whatever marathon they want to do...that's one thing. But alot of times people run because for some reason they think it's the "end all, be all" thing to "fitness". Their diets are trash. They have no clue about energy balance, but they run run run run thinking the fat will magically fat off.

That is what is comical.

Not to mention that I don't think I've seen a runner yet with amazing body composition.
  • k9runner1963
    k9runner1963 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Eating isn't good -- if you eat the wrong foods.

Walking isn't good for you -- if you walk in front of a bus.

Lifting weights isn't good for you -- if you drop them on your foot.

:laugh: :laugh:
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Eating isn't good -- if you eat the wrong foods.

Walking isn't good for you -- if you walk in front of a bus.

Lifting weights isn't good for you -- if you drop them on your foot.

Running is a natural function of the human body. If running is bad for you, how come there are SO many people 40+ years of age that are runners? When you go to your 5K race (because I know you will complete C25K and then run a race), look at the entries for 40+ and you will see it makes up a good portion of the race.

Granted, constant pounding can be rough on knees and hips, but who says you have to run on pavement 100% of the time? Change it up - run on a track - they are rubber or crushed gravel. Run on trails or in a field, or a treadmill (most have shock impact built in). Also, keep your stride low and somewhat short - it will cause you to strike less on the heel (this is what truly causes impactful damage) and will cause you to run more mid-foot strike which lessens the impact.

Also, those that say running is bad for you generally don't like running and think that the answer to everything is strength training. Don't get me wrong, I strength train in addition to my running, and it makes my body stronger which improves my running. The running improves my endurance and cardiovascular fitness.

Greg

Well said!:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    If people are running to train up their endurance for 5k's, 10k's, or whatever marathon they want to do...that's one thing. But alot of times people run because for some reason they think it's the "end all, be all" thing to "fitness". Their diets are trash. They have no clue about energy balance, but they run run run run thinking the fat will magically fat off.

That is what is comical.

That's funny. You just described me. Guess what? The weight DID fall off!
  • sdrawkcabynot
    sdrawkcabynot Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Give her the finger... and then run off :D
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options

Walking really doesn't hold a comparison to running when you look at the total benefits. Sure walking can be great if you're just starting out, or have bad knees, but anyone can walk - it takes someone in good physical shape to run a few miles.
  • Msaip
    Msaip Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Running does hurt my knees. I settle for a fast pace walk and strength training. Works for me but everyone is different. My mother has degenerative joint disease in her knees and dr said I have a good chance of developing it too.
  • JessicaAnnD
    Options
    I used to run 5 miles a night, I've ruin my knees so bad that I am scared to start running again. BUT it's so great for weight loss and one of the best feelings when you hit your goal. I just don't know if I want to ruin my knees anymore then I have already, I know I am going to pay for this later in life :(
  • CharityEaton
    Options
    If you already have knee injuries then no, running is not gonna be good for you but if you are a young moderately healthy person running is not bad for you. In fact, just like any exercise done over a length of time it will strengthen the part of your body that you are using...your knees and legs in running.
    If you are an older person you are not gonna jump off the couch one day and start running marathons..you are gonna work up to it...just like you would if you were going to start liting weights. You don't go to the gym and lift the heaviest thing you can find...you work up to it and in time you have more strength and ability to do more.
    I had horrible knee issues this time last year and would have never dreamed that I would run. Now I can run and not have a single issue with my knees. I just worked up to it! Besides mall walking looks funny....running looks normal!
  • emmamcc1981
    emmamcc1981 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    We are designed to run.

The supervisor is talking out her *kitten*.

^^^ this. :D
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I had a similar situation occur with my friend/hairdresser. She said "it's not good for your uterus!" I was gobsmacked to say the least. My comeback was that it was my OBGyn who encouraged me to run and that she was a runner too. If anyone should be more worried about my uterus it would be her.

Bwahahahaha...the old "running will make your uterus fall out" line (which is such complete and utter BS perpetuated prior to Title 9). Yeah, I keep waiting for this to happen...I don't want mine anymore. It's the source of a lot of pain and irritation for me. So far I have not been so lucky--not even the year I ran 1800 miles or while running marathons.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    She's ALMOST right. Running is VERY good for your body as a whole. It's not so good for you knees. It's a lot of pressure. I believe the science of it is when you stand your weight puts X amount of pressure on your knees. When you run, every step puts 10 times X amount of pressure on your knees. Running is not UNHEALTHY. It's EXTREMELY HEALTHY. It's just hard on your knees.

Yes, this ^^ Running can strain your joints, especially your knees. But it's very good for your heart, your bones and your overall fitness.

Just listen to your body and don't overdo it. Putting strain on your knees doesn't have to mean doing damage to them. If your knees have pain cut back a bit and make sure your shoes are in good condition. If it continues, see a doctor.
  • greeneyes191
    greeneyes191 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I think it all depends on your own body. Some people run and have no problems whatsoever. I would have said: "It's ok, I run on my feet, not my knees"
  • SirBen81
    SirBen81 Posts: 396 Member
    Options

The most obvious answer to this is time. If I only have 30 mins to exercise, I can burn more calories running then walking.