worst comment ever made about your weight

Options

Replies

• velvetboxed
    Options
    I think the worst one that has been ever been said to me was when I was being bullied in 8th grade and not going to school because I was so scared of the torment. I was sent to the district for a talk and they said, "YOU have to change." I don't know why that has stuck with me for so long. Maybe because I have to change because some idiot decided to put ME down to get a laugh? How about no.

Then there were like situations that happened.
    My ex-best friend ditched me in 6th grade. Every time I tried to go hang out with her in our usual spot, she would walk away.
    Two girls I saw with together for a project in 11th grade would ALWAYS poke at my big arms.
    I was running the mile in class in 12th grade (I took PE all 4 years to try and lose weight) and I even heard my TEACHER making fun of me when I ran by him.

There are a lot more from my school days but those always haunt me.
  • princessdracos
    princessdracos Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I think the worst one that has been ever been said to me was when I was being bullied in 8th grade and not going to school because I was so scared of the torment. I was sent to the district for a talk and they said, "YOU have to change." I don't know why that has stuck with me for so long. Maybe because I have to change because some idiot decided to put ME down to get a laugh? How about no.

Then there were like situations that happened.
    My ex-best friend ditched me in 6th grade. Every time I tried to go hang out with her in our usual spot, she would walk away.
    Two girls I saw with together for a project in 11th grade would ALWAYS poke at my big arms.
    I was running the mile in class in 12th grade (I took PE all 4 years to try and lose weight) and I even heard my TEACHER making fun of me when I ran by him.

There are a lot more from my school days but those always haunt me.

That's awful! I'm glad I never heard a teacher make fun of me...with the temper I had back then, it would've been ugly. Thank heavens we have this supportive community at mfp!
  • MeBeEmmDee
    Options
    My mom (also very obese at the time, funny enough) told me I was so fat I should just be melted down for candles.
  • emilyhawarah
    Options
    From my dad while going through divorce: Keep losing that weight and you'll find somone else who will want to marry you!
  • dreamzingreen
    dreamzingreen Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    i think the one that I will never forget was from my boyfriend......We were watching Miss COngeniality with Sandra Bullock, and the part where they make her over on 10 mins and she looks all hot....he told me...." I could make you look like that, I just need 6 months"
  • BigDocHobbs
    Options
    Having been on both sides of the spectrum - The super toned muscle guy and the fat blob, I can pretty much look in the mirror and call me out on most of the comments. I have never been a rude person, but I have not had issues with explaining to others how I felt if and when they said something to me.
    I will admit that some of these posts are funny to me because I have thought them in my mind about myself.

Hence the MFP membership!
  • MsMargie1116
    MsMargie1116 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I was dating a guy for a few weeks and all was going well. We went to dinner on a beautiful night to my fave beer garden pub. We were laughing and having great conversation and then he told me it sucked he could not introduce me to his friends. I asked why and he said, You are pretty and funny and cool but, I usually date thin girls, so they would not understand and would give him crap over it. I sat there stunned.

A few minutes later I excused my self to the restroom and left, jumped in my car and parked a couple blocks away and cried. I swore from that moment on I would never date anyone who could not accept fully, no matter what my weight is.

You go girl!!! Good for you!!! What a jerk!!!
  • volvol16
    volvol16 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I have been called pretty much everything, but one thing that I want you to know is:

"Hurting people hurt people."

It's simple. People will try to bring you down no matter what and you just have to remember that you are you no matter your weight. Surround yourself with people who support you and your actions.
  • eatmeingo
    eatmeingo Posts: 134
    Options
    In high school girls would purposely walk behind me just to tell me "get out of the way, fatass" or "wide load! watch for sudden stops!" And I was maybe only 140-150 at the time? (5'2".) Not good for a 14 yo's self confidence though. /:

Now people tell me "nothing will look good on a rail" and "don't you need a figure for x?"

Never gonna get a break.
  • milf_n_cookies
    milf_n_cookies Posts: 2,244 Member
    Options
    I am literally shocked by some of these comments that people got, I was overweight pretty much my WHOLE life (and not just a little heavy or chubby, but morbidly obese, over 300 lbs) and I never got ONE rude comment from anyone about my weight.

I do find now that I am a "normal" weight that people pay more attention to me, will hold doors, strike up random conversations and look me in the eye more, but I have never had anyone be blatantly rude to my face about my weight, even in grammar school and high school.
  • superawesomekt
    superawesomekt Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I get these kinds of comments all the time. I don't even have a post-pregnant body. I have been at one party and had two people ask me if I was pregnant. Almost worse is when people look at my belly and don't say anything. I can tell they think I am pregnant and not announcing it. Mostly this happend a year ago after I gained weight from birth control post-wedding, but just a few months ago I went to a party with one of my girlfriends and some girls I hadn't seen in a few years asked me if I'd already had my baby.
  • Vi0l33t
    Vi0l33t Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    "Keep doing whatever it is you are doing to lose weight. I don't want to F*** a fat girl." An ex-boyfriend who was overweight himself! That comment set off over a decade of messed up eating habits.

"You'd be perfect if you just had a boob job, lost weight, highlighted your hair, etc." Ex-husband who was a total waste of oxygen but I didn't realize it until after we got married.

Oh, and the heaviest I EVER was (non-pregnant) was 155lbs. I'm 5'8". Yeah...

I haven't been 155 since I was 16, and I'll never be 5'8", but I can imagine how hearing that must have crushed you considering that's nowhere near disgusting, ugly or fat.

The Worst in memory for me was shortly after I had my fist child. I'd returned to work from maternity leave and was talking to a stocker in the store that I didn't know well. She told me she was glad to see me back and that she was happy I was all better. She didn't know I'd been pregnant and instead had assumed I'll fallen sick. When I told her I'd gone to have my fist child she exclaimed "omg I had no idea you were pregnant! You could hardly tell!"

Seriously.... it's bad enough people thinking you're pregnant when you aren't, but being so big they can't tell? I walked to the bathroom and cried for the rest of my break.
  • Elizabeth0913
    Options
    Wow, people can be so cruel!! I've had moments here and there but the worst was when a total stranger driving by my house when I was outside yelled out "Fat Wh@#$"!! That hurt.
  • MsMargie1116
    MsMargie1116 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I remember one time I was at a "Dillards" outlet, looking at clothes in the plus-size section. Three skinny little girls came up to some of the clothes and wasn't too far away from me, and made some comment on the size and how all three of them could fit into the pants there, then laughed. I gratiously walked up to them took the pants from them and commented on how cute they are and how I USED to be able to fit into them... Before I lost 100 lbs. They were kind of shocked/embarassed and walked off without saying a word. :smile:

Back when I was in high school, I was in a home economics class with a bunch of preps and jocks... Needless to say, I, being the only overweight one in the class, was the brunt of a lot of weight jokes. Finally, at the end of the semester, I was doing a presentation for the class with the teacher there. One of the girls made a snide comment about my weight, and I finally told her, Yes, I may be fat, but I could lose weight. Sadly, she will always be ugly!!! :laugh: The teacher had to excuse herself from the classrooom to keep from busthing out laughing!!! Needless to say, That was the last that I heard of my weight in that class.

I've been overweight since I went through puberty and there is one thing I learned. Peoples words only have as much power as you give them. People only love you the way you love yourself. Just like you want people to accept/love you the way you are, You need to accept/love yourself the way you are yourself. I still battle with this at times, but there are other times that I see that I've won a battle, which gives me ammunition to take on the next battle. I am learning that as I lose more weight, I am hearing less and less comments about my weight. :wink:
  • CannibalisticVegetarian
    CannibalisticVegetarian Posts: 1,255 Member
    Options
    Man, some of these stories made me tear up.. real talk. I always wondered how people could be so friggin insensitive to others and get a full 8 hours of sleep at night knowing they've scarred someone.

I have been called fat in the past.. a lot, actually.. but most of the ones that I recall clear as a bell are from my father. Still, I think the mother of all comments---the one that caused me to spiral out of control and thus develop those so called 'daddy issues', would be one that occurred when I was about 7 or 8 years old.

We'd gone to a family reunion earlier that day. I was in fact starting to chunk up. I've always been a little bigger than most kids---like.. I had this broader athletic like build, so I was no way a petite little girl. Anyways while at the reunion, barbecue was being served.. and I utterly hate the taste of most of it. Meat isn't my thing (but I'm not a vegetarian in any case despite my username). All day long I maybe had a piece of bread or something like that---but by no means was any of this a fulfilling meal. So later that night as my parents, brother and I are leaving, someone gets the idea to order a pizza from Pizza Hut. I have one slice ... y'know.. having played all day and ate very little. Then I decided to have just ONE more slice. I didn't want the entire frickin pizza pie.. just another slice...

Somehow this pisses him off. He goes off about how fat I am and how I was so super greedy. Mom then starts to defend me and tells him that he's overreacting.. and me? Well I just start crying because my feelings are so super hurt and that my folks were now screaming at one another all thanks to me.. or so I thought in my head at the time.
  • Mell00546
    Mell00546 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Back Story: I have been heavy for as long as I can remember. I would go through stages where I was ok with my body and fit in and then I would have extremes where I would pack on a bunch of weight.

* My dad was taking me to middle school and told me it was a good thing that I always wore jeans instead of shorts. Jeans made my legs look thinner.

* At my college graduation my boyfriend at the time asked me why I wasn't wearing a hotter dress like my younger sister (also at my graduation). I wasn't wearing a hot little dress because I couldn't fit into any of them (thanks for that!)

* After I graduated college I worked for a medical supply company. One of our customers came in to see our respiratory therapist and asked me when I was due. In front of my supervisor and office manager! I was 22 and NOT pregers!

***** Just a side note*****
    Screw the people that have made you feel bad about yourself. Yes what people say can hurt but I feel worse for them. I know that I will reach my goal and look freakin HOT! And I'll also be a nice person! Unlike them.

Keep up the amazing work :)
  • XxXHillaryXxX
    XxXHillaryXxX Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Like when people say "Oh my god! I didn't know you were gonna have another baby, when are you due"?
  • Elizabeth0913
    Options
    I remember one time I was at a "Dillards" outlet, looking at clothes in the plus-size section. Three skinny little girls came up to some of the clothes and wasn't too far away from me, and made some comment on the size and how all three of them could fit into the pants there, then laughed. I gratiously walked up to them took the pants from them and commented on how cute they are and how I USED to be able to fit into them... Before I lost 100 lbs. They were kind of shocked/embarassed and walked off without saying a word. :smile:

Back when I was in high school, I was in a home economics class with a bunch of preps and jocks... Needless to say, I, being the only overweight one in the class, was the brunt of a lot of weight jokes. Finally, at the end of the semester, I was doing a presentation for the class with the teacher there. One of the girls made a snide comment about my weight, and I finally told her, Yes, I may be fat, but I could lose weight. Sadly, she will always be ugly!!! :laugh: The teacher had to excuse herself from the classrooom to keep from busthing out laughing!!! Needless to say, That was the last that I heard of my weight in that class.

I've been overweight since I went through puberty and there is one thing I learned. Peoples words only have as much power as you give them. People only love you the way you love yourself. Just like you want people to accept/love you the way you are, You need to accept/love yourself the way you are yourself. I still battle with this at times, but there are other times that I see that I've won a battle, which gives me ammunition to take on the next battle. I am learning that as I lose more weight, I am hearing less and less comments about my weight. :wink:

Beautiful attitude!!
  • leannems
    leannems Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    OMG I have one!! I had just had our daughter, via c-section. My husband had to help my clean my incision for the first week. We got in an argument one night and he preceeded to tell me how my "FOLD" ( the pouch above my c-section scar) disguisted him. He called me folds, fatas**..you name it I got called it. Yes we are still married..and it makes me smile in my head still every time he tries to have sex with me...Does he really think he deserves me?

Get rid of this dude. Are you kidding me? You deserve someone who loves you.
  • superdonna
    superdonna Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have been asked a handful of times when I was due...and I was not pregnant. How horrifying!