Replies

• 70davis
    70davis Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    bump
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Runners and cyclists are just following our biological imperative...
    http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/04/25/the-evolution-of-the-runners-high/?hpw
  • willismack2
    Options
    Running is GREAT for you. I run to breathe. I run to live. I run because I can! (sorry, just got back from my run)
  • TheBakerGirl
    Options
    People who say running isn't good for you are just jealous because they can't run. :tongue:
  • mtread13
    mtread13 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Even if running doesn't become one's "go to" exercise of choice or the primary means to weight loss for them, I still think that they should consider some running. Kids who don't practice running can still run on the playground (albeit some faster than others). I too often see a middle-aged adult get goaded into running with kids at a family reunion or company picnic softball game and they look like they'd rather pass a kidney stone.

I'll run because if my 9-year-old says, "I'll race you to the car" - I want to be able to do that and let her win at the last moment without it being tortuous or pulling a quad.

I'll run because I want to enjoy things without feeling like dying in the process - If we decide to play a pick-up game of soccer or ultimate frisbee, I want to play and enjoy it.

I'll run because I want to be able to do a 5K charity event or if we get a wild hair (like we've recently done) and sign up for a Tough Mudder.

I'm a 48-year-old fat guy (working on removing that last adjective). I don't think I'll be someone tracking my lap times while running 3 miles at the Y or placing in any race even for my age group. I do think I have to run in order to have the quality of life for the reasons mentioned above and more. I'll run because I don't want to give up or give in to aging and poor health.
  • rebecky27
    rebecky27 Posts: 842 Member
    Options

I'll run because if my 9-year-old says, "I'll race you to the car" - I want to be able to do that and let her win at the last moment without it being tortuous or pulling a quad.

I'll run because I want to enjoy things without feeling like dying in the process - If we decide to play a pick-up game of soccer or ultimate frisbee, I want to play and enjoy it.

I'll run because I want to be able to do a 5K charity event or if we get a wild hair (like we've recently done) and sign up for a Tough Mudder.
    This....is exactly why I"m doing C25K. I had my 2 youngest take off running towards the Community Center.."come on, Mom! Try and catch us!" they yelled back...I ran towards them and.thought.I.was.about.to.die! The very next week I started looking into C25K. Can't wait for that challenge to be proposed again!

My good friend did a Tough Mudder a little while ago. I want too join her! Won't be this year, but certainly next year is a possibility!
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    1 word question: "Proof?"
  • jenna_scott
    jenna_scott Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Here is the deal with those lame @$$ people that will tell you how bad running is for you, they tell you running is bad because they can’t run. That is why they condemn it, because they don't have the strength, endurance, or the commitment to do it. Running is hard because it is mostly about conditioning your head to keep yourself going. The body does what the mind tells it. If you tell it to keep going it will. ( I will chant to myself on longer runs when I am tired just keep running just keep running just keep running running running, like Dory from Finding Nemo) Running is mostly in your head and having the ability to push through even when your body doesn't want to, it is isn’t about running through the pain it is about running through the desire to stop. My two favorite running sayings are “the hardest part about going for a run is putting your shoes on” and “My sport is a punishment in your sport”. When you do your 5K bring your bib in to work hang it up at your desk and when that woman notices it gush on and on about how awesome it was to run that race and how accomplished you felt and how proud you are of yourself. Rub her nose in it without rubbing her nose in it. Accomplishing something that she can not is the best revenge.

she said the woman who made the comment was clearly a fit individual...i don't think that was really the case.

Just becasue you are "fit" doesn't mean you are a runner.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    she said the woman who made the comment was clearly a fit individual...i don't think that was really the case.

Yup... moreso, just because you LOOK fit, doesn't mean you are fit. I always looked fit. Fairly strong, a healthy weight and shape, reasonably active. But the furthest I could run was maybe a quarter of a mile at most, up until I started C25K at the end of 2010.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Calorie-wise, running and walking a mile burn roughly the same it just takes longer. But there is much less impact walking. Another retort could be that driving is bad for you too but we all do it.

This just isn't true. When you are running, you take in more oxygen, and when you take more oxygen in you burn more calories.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options

Yup... moreso, just because you LOOK fit, doesn't mean you are fit. I always looked fit. Fairly strong, a healthy weight and shape, reasonably active. But the furthest I could run was maybe a quarter of a mile at most, up until I started C25K at the end of 2010.

Yep skinny doesn't always mean fit.

Even at 170lbs I'm still fitter than many of my skinny colleagues - I can run 5k, do press-ups etc, they can't even run for a bus.

But they look better than me on the outside, ...................for now.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    Calorie-wise, running and walking a mile burn roughly the same it just takes longer. But there is much less impact walking. Another retort could be that driving is bad for you too but we all do it.

This just isn't true. When you are running, you take in more oxygen, and when you take more oxygen in you burn more calories.

Actually per mile, there isn't a lot of difference, if you mean per hour , then yes running burns more as you have covered further distance, but if it's just per mile, there's not a lot in it.

I tend to burn 110- 120 cals per mile regardless of whether it's running or walking.

http://funonfoot.fileburst.com/Article1002Calories.pdf
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Usually the things that aren't good for you, are the funnest to do.
  • michaelthorsonjr
    Options
    Its only bad on your knees if your running mechanics are flawed. I am personally a proponent of proper running form which means you should not land on the heel of your foot as it puts more pressure on your knee joints - you should instead land on the mid-section of the bottom of your foot (mid-foot strike). I have had exactly ZERO knee problems and I consistently run 9-11 miles daily with a long day of around 16 miles thrown in. It's all about HOW you are running to minimize negative effects.
  • Wickedmeowmer
    Options
    Running clears my head, slower cardio activities dont. I'll take a sane mind even if it eventually makes my knee's sore. ;) Luckily I haven't had any pain issues, but I don't do long distance and keep it to around 3-5 miles....
  • jenalderman
    jenalderman Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Running can be bad for you if you wear inappropriate footwear, are over weight, have dodgy knees, poor technique and what have you but it's far more beneficial from a cardiovascular stand point then walking... even if it does burn roughly the same calories.

My stamina has increased tenfold since I've started running as opposed to just doing long walks

Again according to my Medical Orthopedic Doctor with a lot of education and experience, it is a GOOD thing as long as you progress slowly.......esp for someone with a lot of weight to lose. The weight is detroying you joints far faster than any the increased risk from running. The important thing is to exercise that weight off!! I wouldn't want anyone to be discouraged from starting because they are overweight. I weighed 234 lbs when I started and I have run off all my extra weight.
  • WhisperALullaby
    WhisperALullaby Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Here's all you need to know.

Zombies don't care if running is bad for your knees. The fact that you can burn a similar amount of calories walking will not save you from having your flesh chewed up.

Sometimes in life, you just gotta RUN!

You, I want to hug.

I know I have problems running because my kneecaps have grown out to the sides (clumsy me fell all the time playing basketball in middle school, and they grew out funny). But if it doesn't bother you, and you're doing it right, then hey, why not! This is also why I don't lift free weights, I'd drop them and break my foot.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options

Actually per mile, there isn't a lot of difference, if you mean per hour , then yes running burns more as you have covered further distance, but if it's just per mile, there's not a lot in it.

I tend to burn 110- 120 cals per mile regardless of whether it's running or walking.

http://funonfoot.fileburst.com/Article1002Calories.pdf

Actually there is quite a bit of difference.

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-242-304-311-8402-0,00.html

" was still gathering my resources for a retort when a new article crossed my desk, and changed my cosmos. In "Energy Expenditure of Walking and Running," published last December in Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, a group of Syracuse University researchers measured the actual calorie burn of 12 men and 12 women while running and walking 1,600 meters (roughly a mile) on a treadmill. Result: The men burned an average of 124 calories while running, and just 88 while walking; the women burned 105 and 74. (The men burned more than the women because they weighed more.)"
  • slsmoot123
    slsmoot123 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    That lady jealous as hell.