~ Clean Eaters Thread ~

Options

Replies

• SatelliteCrush80
    SatelliteCrush80 Posts: 3,575 Member
    Options
    I'm curious...is there any way to clean up Mexican food? I love the stuff, and am not prepared to never be able to eat it again.

I usually make my own. Salsa is awesome and you can get all kinds of different kinds. If you must do chips, try the multi-grain or other kinds of baked (not fried!). Try the whole grain tortillas to make a burrito. I like to make a huge taco salad at home w/ chicken, black beans, lots of veggies, tomatoes, and did I mention salsa? I love salsa! :laugh:

I used to get the chicken fajitas until I saw how much OIL they use in restaurants!!! Now if I do go out, I get a grilled chicken salad and top w/ some avocado (very good fats) and lots of salsa.

It's up to you. I just feel gross if I eat the fried foods now! Oh, and refried beans are beans fried in *lard*. If you must, go for just regular pinto or black beans.

We don't go out for it often, and I am glad for that....I love to cook, so I will just keep making it at home. Fajitas do sound really good right now...
  • neeterskeeter
    neeterskeeter Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Good job staying on track over the holiday weekend!! But why throw away all your hard work w/ a big old Mexican feast?? Girl, I know you'll be getting back on track today!!! You can do it. Keep it clean, and keep that body fueled!!

Jess

Good question... I knew that I was going to be super strict with myself starting today and lasting for 90 days, and I love love love green chili burritos so I thought I would allow myself one last one. But I only ate half of one and in the past I would have eaten the whole thing, no matter how stuffed I got, *and* I would have had like two margaritas, and this time I only drank water. I feel like my "splurges" are nothing compared to what they used to be. So I don't feel too guilty. :wink:
  • neeterskeeter
    Options

I'm curious...is there any way to clean up Mexican food? I love the stuff, and am not prepared to never be able to eat it again.

Hi Satellite... I am the same way, I live in New Mexico and one of my favorite things about living here is the FOOD. I usually make clean versions, like a chicken burrito with green chili and salsa (both of which are fine) and maybe a little low fat cheese, and some red peppers and jalepeno peppers, and whole wheat low carb tortillas. Corn and black beans are also clean, as well as brown rice, so that way it's like a mexican food smorgasbord of things I can eat, in small portions of course.

But when I go to New Mexican restaurants in the area, especially with family or friends, there really aren't many healthy options. (I did order my burrito last night with a whole wheat tortilla instead of a flour tortilla. :smile: ) So I allow that as one of my few non-clean splurges once in awhile, in addition to ice cream with hot fudge. Those are pretty much the two things that I know for sure I would not want to go without for the rest of my life, even though eating clean and light really does feel and taste so good. So I have them *occassionally* guilt-free.

For instance I ate ice cream twice during my beach trip, once on the boardwalk with my little siblings who are 7 and 8, and once when my mom made milkshakes for the whole family. Yummy, I loved it. But that was the first time I had eaten ice cream in months, and the last time I plan to eat until my birthday which is three months away. Same for the burrito. My boyfriend's parents always take us to a new mexican restaurant for my birthday, so that's the next time I'll have (half of) a ground beef green chile burrito, and I won't begrudge myself for it because I used to eat them at least once or twice a week :embarassed: and in much bigger portions to boot, and combined with other unhealthy stuff like sopapillas and alcohol etc.

I find that for the most part I have no problem giving up other stuff -- candy, soda, coffee creamer, white flour -- I waved goodbye to that crap without looking back and I haven't missed it. So I figure a burrito and a bit of ice cream every few months isn't going to kill me. :wink: And those are the things I *do* miss and I get by by telling myself I *can* have it, just not right now.

You have to be careful though, of course, because there are always excuses for "special occasions" or "just one more", so most of the time I tell myself, "not today", and either make a clean version of it (which to me does not taste nearly the same as the "real" thing, but it suffices) or just wait it out until my next "planned" splurge.
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options

I made an enchilada casserole last Saturday. I just cooked the chicken in a crock pot and shredded. For the sauce I sauteed an onion with a little cumin, coriander. I added a chopped tomato, 3 cans crushed tomatillos, cooked that for a bit. Turned off the heat and added a container of 2% fage greek yogurt (instead of sour cream--tastes very similar!). Then I layered sauce, corn tortillas (about 6 total), chicken, and 2% cheese (8oz). It made a big 9 x 13 casserole, 12 servings about 300 cals each. I put some in the freezer and had some for lunch the last couple of days. Yummy! :tongue:
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options

I find that for the most part I have no problem giving up other stuff -- candy, soda, coffee creamer, white flour -- I waved goodbye to that crap without looking back and I haven't missed it. So I figure a burrito and a bit of ice cream every few months isn't going to kill me. :wink: And those are the things I *do* miss and I get by by telling myself I *can* have it, just not right now.

You have to be careful though, of course, because there are always excuses for "special occasions" or "just one more", so most of the time I tell myself, "not today", and either make a clean version of it (which to me does not taste nearly the same as the "real" thing, but it suffices) or just wait it out until my next "planned" splurge.

Yep, that is what happens to me once I start to *give* a little. There's always a special occasion, it's someone's bday somewhere every day, right?? :tongue: You're doing great, I wasn't trying to make you feel guilty! You know what is working for you, so go girl! :drinker:
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Ok, the taco talk made me crave taco salad so that is what I made for dinner! :laugh: It's one of my family's fav meals anyway! I serve corn tortillas for my kids, my dh likes the whole wheat tortillas, and I made a salad!

Dinner:
    Romaine, broccoli, peppers, onions topped w/
    3 oz chicken breast, 1/2 c. black beans, 1/2 c. spicy tomatoes w/ green chilis,
    2 T. guacamole, 2 T. salsa

Big bowl of salad for 430 cals. :bigsmile:
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Neeter, welcome back! :drinker: It sounds like you had a great vacation with your family. Wow, you are so brave, 90 days of clean eating??? I could not pull that off, not even 30 days. I am more of a people pleaser and I resent myself for being that way sometimes. Like Jess said there is always a "special occasion" being celebrated and that is when I lose my will power. I do better sometimes than others but I still lose control. I can also use a lot of support from those around me to pull off something like that and I don't have that. But I am doing well and as you said Neeter my "splurges" are also smaller ones compared to those before. Baby steps for me...

Have a wonderful day!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Neeter, welcome back! :drinker: It sounds like you had a great vacation with your family. Wow, you are so brave, 90 days of clean eating??? I could not pull that off, not even 30 days. I am more of a people pleaser and I resent myself for being that way sometimes. Like Jess said there is always a "special occasion" being celebrated and that is when I lose my will power. I do better sometimes than others but I still lose control. I can also use a lot of support from those around me to pull off something like that and I don't have that. But I am doing well and as you said Neeter my "splurges" are also smaller ones compared to those before. Baby steps for me...

Baby steps is still great, Annette!! I honestly don't get the cravings anymore like I used to. Cutting out the white flour/ sugar *aka crack* keeps me on track. My problem is once I start, it's too hard to get back on track!!! I'm an all or nothing kinda gal. :laugh:
  • neeterskeeter
    Options

Yep, that is what happens to me once I start to *give* a little. There's always a special occasion, it's someone's bday somewhere every day, right?? :tongue: You're doing great, I wasn't trying to make you feel guilty! You know what is working for you, so go girl! :drinker:

I know you weren't Jess. :smile:

I used to be soooo extreme and if I had had a burrito or whatever, I would think, "well, I blew my diet, I might as well have ice cream," and then I'd be *off* the wagon again for awhile till I got back on and was super perfect about everything. Now I have finally been able to find a better balance, where *most* of the time I stay on track, so that I can achieve my goals and because I see how eating badly for even a day decreases my results, but that when I do splurge, I don't feel guilty enough to just stop eating clean all together. It took me a long time to reach this point and even my boyfriend has commented how it looks like it's a lifestyle change for me instead of just a "diet."
  • licia67
    licia67 Posts: 109
    Options
    Glad that I decided to come over here and browse!
    Jess, can you please post the name of your awesome scale? I would love to have one, I have been weighing/measuring everything since I started and need a better scale.

Licia
  • neeterskeeter
    Options

Alf, I am a people pleaser too and that is something I have been trying to change about myself in my quest to eat clean AND to avoid alcohol. It seems that when people are eating a bunch of sugar, like cake or whatever, or drinking, they want everyone else to drink too, and I used to feel bad and give in. My sister is great but at the beach she kept making comments like I have to loosen up and live a little and I can't be on a diet on vacation and why am I being so anal etc. I told her I *was* loosening up, that I was enjoying ice cream and some alcohol and that otherwise I needed to stay on track because I was getting great results this way. And when I had on my sports bra and running shorts to go running (it was sooooo hot and humid out!), she said, "Okay wow I actually can see a big difference, I'm impressed."

So I just tell myself it's *their* issue, not mine, and I need to stick to my own plan to reach my own goals. I am not perfect of course and even during this 90 day "strict" period I will probably decide to have a little bit to drink, like I've already made myself an allowance for Halloween when we go to a big party and which I think would just not be as much fun if I weren't drinking at all and everyone else was. And I may have a little piece of birthday cake if it is my friend's birthday, etc... but they will be *my* allowances, they will be because I feel it is all right to have it then for my own reasons, and not because someone is pressuring me to eat like them. I think that if I make calorie allowances for my 10% non-clean eating and continue to eat clean 90% of the time, I will be able to meet my 3-month goal. But if I let myself say "okay, that person says I need to eat french fries with them, I'd better do it" every other day, I won't meet my goal.

I'm glad things are getting easier for you in this regard too. I've realized with clean eating and training etc. that we have to put ourselves first and make our health/fitness our number 1 priority... and there is nothing wrong with that IMO, in fact for people-pleasers like us, it can be a very good thing. :wink:
  • neeterskeeter
    Options
    So, to recap, yesterday I started my strict clean eating and exercise program for the next 3 months, so that hopefully I will weigh 125 pounds by my 29th birthday on December 9th. I'm calling it 90 Days to 29! :D

Here are my eats/ exercise for Day 1 (Wednesday, September 9, 2009):

8:30 am:
    1/2 cup oatmeal
    1 scoop chocolate protein powder
    1 tspn each of wheat germ, flaxseed and bee pollen
    1 red delicious apple, chopped

11:30 am:
    6 inch oven roasted grilled chicken sub from Subway, except I only ate the bottom half of the bread, not the top half
    With tomatos, spinach and green peppers
    and swiss cheese
    on whole wheat
    1 cup of red seedless grapes

1 pm: work out
    20 minutes of arm/shoulder/back strength training, including circuit training and free weights
    10 minutes of abs work
    30 minutes total

2:30 pm:
    1 cup Greek style nonfat plain yogurt
    15 almonds
    1/2 cup blueberries
    1/3 cup organic pumpkin flaxseed granola

5:30 pm:
    Salad - romaine lettuce, tomato, onion, carrots
    4 oz chunk light tuna
    Light balsamic vinagrette dressing
    1/2 Balance Gold protein bar
    Small baked potato (almost baby size) w/ sm amt ketchup

7:30 pm: work out
    4 mile speed interval run on treadmill in my garage
    3 half-mile intervals at 7 mph, 1 .25-mile interval at 7 mph
    Recovery intervals at 4.5 - 5.5 mph
    42 minutes total
    Plus stretching

Total for the day: 1 hour, 15 minutes of exercise

9 pm
    Sm amt (about 1.5 oz) salmon
    1/2 cup green beans
    Sliced, grilled tomato pieces
    1 tbsp pumpkin seeds

Beverages:
    1 cup black coffee
    At least 9 glasses of water

Ate 1,750 calories, 136g protein, 33g fiber, 43g fat, 217g carbs (yikes!). Ratio: 48% carbs, 30% protein, 22% fat.

Burned 780 calories. Net calories: 970.

I guess I should have eaten more calories but I felt full and good all day long so I felt like I was on track. *shrug*
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Hey Licia!! It is an Eat Smart food scale. Got it from Amazon, and I love it!!!! How are you doing?
  • licia67
    licia67 Posts: 109
    Options
    I am doing great. I am currently in the first week of the second month of Insanity, and in the process of getting my eating clean. That is why I clicked when I saw this thread.
    I am burned out on the other boards temporarily, and currently like the idea of checking in over here, where the topic is something that is very helpful.

I plan to come back later and read some of the previous posts for ideas and encouragement. Right now it is off for a trip to get clean food for me and **icky** food for my family.

Licia
  • SatelliteCrush80
    SatelliteCrush80 Posts: 3,575 Member
    Options
    Hi Cleanies!

I got my Eat-Clean Diet Cookbook in the mail yesterday, and some of the recipes look really yummy. Luckily, my boyfriend will eat pretty much whatever I cook...so we'll be trying quite a few of the meals. I notice that a lot of things call for stuff like ground flax and flax seeds. Where can I find that? We have a Trader Joes, would it be in a place like that?

And what about this whey protein you ladies use?

Please forgive all my questions, this is totally new territory for me. :blushing:

Have a great day! :flowerforyou:

Shuntae
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    OK, I'm back from the store and stocked up w/ healthy eats again!

Pre-run: (5.3 miles)
    Mela Access bar

(then ate a banana and did Insanity Max Recovery)

Breakfast:
    Usual oatmeal + 1/2 c. blueberries
    (I made my oatmeal w/ 1/2 c. cold coffee and 1/2 c. water and it was even better!! :thumb: )

Snack:
    1 c. plain yogurt + 1/2 c. blueberries + 1/2 oz walnuts
    Golden apple

Lunch:
    3 oz chicken + lots of veggies (spring veggies, asparagus, brocc, cauli, carrots, bella mushrooms)
    topped w/ fresh salsa
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Hi Cleanies!

I got my Eat-Clean Diet Cookbook in the mail yesterday, and some of the recipes look really yummy. Luckily, my boyfriend will eat pretty much whatever I cook...so we'll be trying quite a few of the meals. I notice that a lot of things call for stuff like ground flax and flax seeds. Where can I find that? We have a Trader Joes, would it be in a place like that?

And what about this whey protein you ladies use?

Please forgive all my questions, this is totally new territory for me. :blushing:

Have a great day! :flowerforyou:

Shuntae

Yes, you can buy ground flax or flaxseeds at TJ's. You can even buy the Hodgson Mill brand ground flaxmeal at Wal*mart w/ the baking goods (it's less than $2 a box there!). Make sure to store it in the fridge in an opaque container as it can spoil quickly if in a clear container. HTH!

I like Designer Whey, it's pretty cheap and comes in chocolate and french vanilla along w/ other flavors. HTH!
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    I am doing great. I am currently in the first week of the second month of Insanity, and in the process of getting my eating clean. That is why I clicked when I saw this thread.
    I am burned out on the other boards temporarily, and currently like the idea of checking in over here, where the topic is something that is very helpful.

I plan to come back later and read some of the previous posts for ideas and encouragement. Right now it is off for a trip to get clean food for me and **icky** food for my family.

Licia

Check in at the Insanity thread in the Fitness section too!! I'm almost done w/ this round, next week is my last week! I am LOVING it! :heart: I stocked up on good food too. But my family has to eat the good stuff also, they're used to it by now. I do buy some things for them that I don't eat, but I don't do any special shopping!
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    So, to recap, yesterday I started my strict clean eating and exercise program for the next 3 months, so that hopefully I will weigh 125 pounds by my 29th birthday on December 9th. I'm calling it 90 Days to 29! :D

Ate 1,750 calories, 136g protein, 33g fiber, 43g fat, 217g carbs (yikes!). Ratio: 48% carbs, 30% protein, 22% fat.

I guess I should have eaten more calories but I felt full and good all day long so I felt like I was on track. *shrug*

Allright... 90 days girl!! You can do it! Meals look great, again just maybe try to eat a little *more* w/ each meal? I don't think 217g carb is bad, I set my ratio here at 50/25/25. With running and your activtity, and you're eating *good* carb, I wouldn't worry about it!
  • neeterskeeter
    Options

Allright... 90 days girl!! You can do it! Meals look great, again just maybe try to eat a little *more* w/ each meal? I don't think 217g carb is bad, I set my ratio here at 50/25/25. With running and your activtity, and you're eating *good* carb, I wouldn't worry about it!

Thanks Jess. My boss bought us lunch so I had a bigger than normal one but still mostly clean, so hopefully that will help with increasing my calorie intake today. I haven't worked out yet but I'm going to do an 8 mile pace run (9 min miles) so that will be like a thousand calories right there! :noway:

BTW my boss said it looks like I've lost weight. I know it's vain but I love it when people tell me that, it shows that my hard work is paying off and is noticeable. :laugh: