Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

May Ironman Challenge (open group)

butters1
butters1 Posts: 1,540 Member
Welcome new and returning triathletes!

The challenge is to complete Ironman Triathlon mileage in the 31 days of May
--Running/ Walking 26.2 miles
--Biking 112 miles
--Swimming 2.4 Miles

We'll use this forum all month to log and report our mileage. You can log daily or weekly-- whatever keeps you motivated!

You may modify your mileage goals to suit your specific circumstances (e.g., no bike, no pool access, goals, etc.) but you must SET and declare those goals at the beginning of the month, and it must still be a combination of running/walking, biking, and swimming we all love. All skill levels welcome!

Love this group

Replies

• butters1
    My may goals = traditional. :smile:
  • crux
    crux Posts: 454 Member
    Woot! :drinker:

Love, love love this challenge! Well I should seeing as I'm training for the real thing :laugh:

Ok goals for May....

15 miles swimming.
    400 miles biking.
    100 miles running.

I hope we get loads of people joining this month! Set your own goals, you don't have to do mega milage just what you can do. As long as its enjoyable then all's :glasses:

Feel free to add me as well if your not already in my list! :love:

Chris
  • rachel5576
    rachel5576 Posts: 429 Member
    this sounds like fun! I am walk/running 26.2 on the 5th so I'll up the walk/running goals for myself

--Running/ Walking 75
    --Biking 112 miles
    --Swimming 2.4 Miles
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Sure why not.

12 miles swimming
    600 miles cycling
    100 miles running
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    ok... i'm in.

how do you track swimming mileage in the open water??
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    I know how I do it... I don't know how you'd do it. Do you have buoys or markers in your open water swim area?
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    I know how I do it... I don't know how you'd do it. Do you have buoys or markers in your open water swim area?

there are some wave breakers set up, about 0.1 miles apart. i guess if i swim it back and forth five times, that'll be roughly half a mile.

i used google maps to measure it out.
  • alliesun53
    alliesun53 Posts: 160 Member
    awesome!

Goals for May:
    Swimming: 6.0 miles
    Biking: 50 miles
    Running/walking: 26.2 miles

Left swimming and biking the same. I'm hoping to actually meet a bike goal at some point. Upped the run. Not much, but I met it in April...so I'm going to push a little harder.
  • butters1
    Welcome to the new and returning! Off to a great start!

I would also like to encourage you to friend request those you would like to get to know better. There are lots of inspiring people here, and alot of the great things related to this thread go on behind the scences. Love this group:heart::heart:

Anyone is welcome to FR me.
  • cornerofgreystreet
    cornerofgreystreet Posts: 180 Member
    I would love to join. I am doing my first sprint tri in June. Here are my goals:

Swim: 8 miles
    Bike: 80 miles
    Run: 50 miles

Happy to be a part of the group!
  • hmgarcia83
    hmgarcia83 Posts: 45 Member
    i am game but the pool where is live doesnt open till memorial day :( we will see how it goes
  • janf15
    janf15 Posts: 242 Member
    FWIW ... I will be going to CA on Thursday to participate in the long course (half ironman distance) at the Wildflower triathlon. I like the idea of the challenge. Good luck to all of you.
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Hey, does anyone mind if I have a pop at this? I'd love to train for a triathalon at some point, this could be a good way to start.

I'm a complete newb, so I'll just go with the standard plan if that's ok with everyone:

-Running/ Walking 26.2 miles
    -Biking 112 miles
    -Swimming 2.4 Miles

Can we change our goals mid-month if circumstances change? (e.g. we do more swimming than we think we will etc)
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    The last time I was on this thread (a few months ago - I'm such a slacker!!!), I shot for 1.5IM's. This is a pretty good goal, so I'm going to shoot for it again.

Swim: 3.6M
    Bike: 168M
    Run: 39.3M

And... we're...

Oh wait, this doesn't start till Tuesday. Okay, see you then!

OH!!! And to Squidgeypaws? You can do anything you want on this thread. You can set any goals you want, change your goals midway if you want, heck you can even show up and post silly things just to post silly things. However, my guess is, it'd be best to actually post some numbers while posting silly things... Truth be told, I've missed my numbers more often than I've hit them. And here I am again... So... Welcome! Enjoy your stay! Have fun!

Newbs are so cool. They're just the coolest!

TriJoe.
  • trimom10
    trimom10 Posts: 388 Member
    Oh this sounds fun. Count me in for traditional distance. My first sprint tri of the season and half marathon is in June, so I'll definitely be logging miles.
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Hey, thanks Trijoe!! :) I shall try to ensure all silly things come with some numbers ;)

Haha, ah well, I do try ;P Very excited to be trying for this challenge!
  • trigrrl
    trigrrl Posts: 104 Member
    i'm moving into my new place on may 5 so i'm hoping to find a gym asap!
    count me in for the ironman distance

i'm hopeful my bike arrives soon ( being shipped to aus , just waiting on the container )!
  • ooOOooGravy
    ooOOooGravy Posts: 476 Member
    Im back for some more this month...

Same targets as last month (which i was short on), I am again aiming high, but thats part of the fun :)

Swim 3 Miles
    Bike 140 Miles
    Run 60 Miles
  • volleypc
    volleypc Posts: 134 Member
    I am in this month.

Swim 4 Miles
    Bike 15 Hours (Most is on an indoor trainer so easier for me to keep up with hours)
    Run 30 Miles
  • carolinagirl7
    carolinagirl7 Posts: 435 Member
    I missed you all last month! Look like you all did great!
    Mostly "recovered" from SI joint stuff...I am ready to go this month :happy:

May goals

Walking 26.2 miles
    Swimming 12000yards (6.8 miles)
    Cycling/Spinning 60 miles-decreased as this seems to flair my SI joint the most! Just glad I have clearance for shorter rides now!