Dating Websites....Your thoughts please.

Options

Replies

• odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    WTF is an angle pic?

And I would steer clear of eHarmony if you don't want serious. If you want to browse the mall of available men that just want a good time, Match is for you.

I don't advocate any sites you don't pay for, personally...
  • Maude_Lewbowski
    Maude_Lewbowski Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    So I'm a single mom (2 kids) and I think I'm ready to finally hit the dating scene outside my favorite bar :laugh: . Not looking for anything serious at this time but I want to get out and meet new people. Any thoughts and recommendations are appreciated on what websites you've used, heard about, will never use again, etc....

Be very careful and make sure your mental space is in check, it's worse than hitting the bars IMHO. I'd never do it again. Maybe a matchmaker or trying to get back out there the old fashioned way, it still works! Or, pick up a hobby or sport, volunteer...plenty of stuff to do.
  • pineapple1989
    pineapple1989 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I met my current boyfriend on a site called Mingleville, it is not a dating website as such, more social networking, however it does seem to be orientated towards dating, you can give somebody a "positive" or a "negative" rating based on their profile. I would recommend it over dating websites as its a bit more relaxed. Me and my boyfriend live together now and are very happy together :smile: Though there is a certain stigma attached to meeting people online, but dont listen to anybody else, I think its a brilliant way to meet somebody, if you dont like the look of somebody you can just block them, a lot harder to fend them off in a bar!
  • carberrie
    carberrie Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I met my soon-to-be husband on eHarmony. I lucked out because he's one in a million. I think you get out of it what you put into it but I think it can be a great conduit for meeting people when the bar scene has dried up. I also think different sites have different clientele so choose the type of person you're looking for by the "reputation" of the site. I was very happy with my eHarmony experience. :)
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    My hubby & I met online! Can't remember if it was Match.com or Americansingles. It's no different than meeting them anywhere else. Lots of frogs to find your Prince! :tongue: Do some good screening and communicating before meeting. And always meet in a public place; don't let them pick you up from your house! Keep an open mind.. and although there are things in a partner that are important to you, don't get bogged down with a checklist and insisting someone meet ALL this unimportant criteria. Go in open minded, you may fall for someone you don't expect to! I did! My hubby is 6.5 yrs younger than me. My search criteria had him ruled out because of his age. But, he ended up finding me and we hit it off!
  • BamaMomma
    BamaMomma Posts: 53
    Options
    I believe on-line dating just increases your chances of a date...it's not fair to assume that ALL people you meet on-line are *kitten*. I used plentyoffish.com and had many, many dates...then I met my now future ex-husband. We were married 4 years. It didn't matter how or where we met, however. What matters is the effort that was put into the relationship and obviously it wasn't enough. I do suggest you be careful, don't let your guard down too fast, but HAVE SOME FUN! :)
  • runningfromzombies
    runningfromzombies Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    The boyfriend and I are an OkCupid couple of almost four months now. (: We talked exclusively via e-mail for two or three weeks because I was out of the city, then another week or so via text/phone before we finally went on our first date.

I'd say give it a shot. I used both PlentyOfFish and OkCupid and I met some nice guys and some douche bags--it's just a matter of patience.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I met my husband on matchmaker.com - I think it's now match.com. Had to weed through some real weirdos before I found him, but it took less than a month to find my keeper (I had a 1-month free trial and I cancelled my membership after I found him LOL). We dated for almost 4 years and have now been married for over 5 years and have 2 kids and are planning a third. :-)

Make sure the first time you meet it's in a public place, for safety.

If you are religious/spiritual, there are some sites out there aimed at coupling like-believing people.
  • loseweightjames
    Options
    I'm on POF and I've had a lot of luck with it

POF is nice because it's free for everyone so more people use it than any of the other sites because really, how horrible of a date do you have to be to have to pay a dating website? :noway:
  • katyejean
    katyejean Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I met my almost-3-years boyfriend on a local dating site. I don't know about the paid ones, but a couple of my friends found their significant-others on plentyoffish.com I suppose it's worth checking out since it's a free site! Good luck!
  • LexieSweetheart
    LexieSweetheart Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    meetup.com has a lot of groups to meet new people. it is not necessarily a dating website but they have groups for singles
  • onedayillbeamilf
    onedayillbeamilf Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I met my husband on Okcupid.com. I really liked online dating, especially with kids. Good luck!!

Aww.. Is that your husband in the picture?
  • moonbaby1o1
    moonbaby1o1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've met a few really nice guys on POF. I met the guy I am currently seeing on POF, but I'm not sure if it's going to work out lol. We are way different from each other. I have tried Match.com and I didn't really like it. It seems more like a hook up site than what people say POF is. Plus 90% of people who are on match are on POF. I also was on BBPeopleMeet.com and BBWRomance. Both are pretty good sites. Found some really hot guys on there, but nothing really ever panned out. I personally like dating sites because it's great if you're just stepping out into the dating world. I was in a very serious relationship for seven years and when it fell apart I realized I had never dated in my life and I didn't even begin to know how to go about it.
  • rammsteinsoldier
    rammsteinsoldier Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    Met a great guy on POF. Is he the perfect match? Who knows but have enjoyed getting to know him.
  • Aviendha_RJ
    Aviendha_RJ Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    My Dad proposed to his eHarmony match exactly 365 days from their first date.

I've been with my eHarmony match for over a year, and we're very happy :)

Good luck!
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    Angle photo? Like this? But I thought it was complementary.

300px-Complementary_anglessvg.png
  • Lizabee84
    Lizabee84 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I personally never used it since I knew my husband my whole life mainly. Though a close friend uses them. becareful of the creeps though. She had a few people ask her to send money for them to visit her. I dont think you are the type to fall for it. Some people use it as a way to scam you so just be careful.
  • Gravesdigger
    Options
    I can say it was the best thing that ever happened to me. I was never one that felt comfortable hanging out in bars and the girls I picked up were not ones I would call relationship material. You just need to be careful and do your homework. Not everything that is posted is true.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I met my boyfriend of 4 years online:love: But I will say.....I had a lot of bad/interesting/odd/weird first dates (because it never went beyond that first date) with guys I meant online. You might have to weed through a lot of frogs before you meet your prince but it's worth a try!
  • _Amy_Budd
    _Amy_Budd Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I met my boyfriend on OKCupid, and he is the best man I've ever known. We are very happy together. :)