Closed Diaries?

Options

Replies

• kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Some people just aren't comfortable letting others see what they eat for various reasons.. be it they don't eat very healthy, or they don't eat enough, or they forgot to log half the time.

Whatever the reason, the point is mind your own business and let people alone. If you are that nosy and must know what all of your friends do, then just ask them and potentially creep them out.

P.S What the hell is wrong with MCD? If people want to eat that or junk, then who cares? I eat junk all the time and am doing just fine thank you!

^^^^^Yes! What she said!!! If you want people to look, let them..if not, that's your business. Respect other's right to privacy like you would want your right to privacy respected.
  • nessagrace22
    nessagrace22 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Think my diary is open but maybe just to friends. Not that bothered if someone has theirs closed because I don't need to see what's going in your mouth to offer support and motivation an at the end of the day you only have to answer to yourself. Each to their own!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    i don't like closed diaries, it defeats the whole purpose

What "purpose?" I thought it was just to keep track of the food I eat, not so other people can judge it.

Mine is open (I just don't always log), but everyone who logs their food should be doing it for themselves and no one else.

I never understood the whole "keep it open for accountability" thing. That's not looking for accountability, it's seeking approval. If someone just wants approval, they can fill in whatever the hell they want.

Now if someone is asking for specific advice, then an open diary is handy. But I know I never asked anyone about my food intake and never cared what anyone else thought of it, and I did just fine.
  • listlife
    listlife Posts: 30
    Options
    Mine is closed for personal reasons. I have a history of problems when it comes to food that I'm not really open about in general. I need to deal with it myself before I have other people checking it out.

Then again, i joined mfp because I wanted to build a better relationship with food. Tracking my food really helps with that immensely.
  • candctaber
    candctaber Posts: 274
    Options
    Mine is open & I like to look at others to see what they are eating to give me ideas of other things to eat. I get tired of eating the same things! I would NEVER degrade someone for overeating!!!
  • edena1987
    edena1987 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    This is why having "friends" is ridiculous. I enjoy the boards, getting ideas and motivation. Mine is private because frankly, it is none of your damn business and I'll thank you to stay out of my personal affairs.
  • bejuled74
    bejuled74 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I keep my diary private because I don't trust myself to be completely honest with what I'm eating if I know that others will see. This way if I eat 12 cookies, I will put down 12 cookies and not 2 cookies. I have a good handle on nutrition and I review my diary to see what I was doing a year ago when I was loosing weight, but it's really just a tool to help me...I don't see how others seeing my diary would help them or myself.
  • chachadiva150
    chachadiva150 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Some people are just private or sensitive...they don't WANT your remarks or input. I don't know why that's so hard to understand??

thanks I DO understand. however do they not want SUPPORT either from their MFP buddies?
    Your "support" is conditional based on someone's food choices? You can support someone and not know what they are eating.

I think some people take this business of MFP "friends" a bit too seriously. At the end of the day, folks are still strangers to each other. The opinions of strangers are not vital.
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Some people are just private or sensitive...they don't WANT your remarks or input. I don't know why that's so hard to understand??

thanks I DO understand. however do they not want SUPPORT either from their MFP buddies?

I support my friends either way. Mine is open, but it's not necessary to my success. If I closed it today, I'd still get the same results. I don't feel the need to know every detail of my friends' lives in order to cheer them on. If you do, you can always delete friends with closed diaries....plenty of people do.
  • peacefulsong
    peacefulsong Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of people that leave pretty nasty messages for some people's diaries. I now will only leave my diary open to my friends.

Hmmm haven't seen that in the time I've been here. Why do you care what other people say? MFP is your personal health journey to success. Negative comments push me to try harder. If you only hear the good what do you gain and why do you need friends to stroke your ego?

Negative comments don't have that effect on everyone. For some people it just discourages and depresses them. And it's not a matter of needing to have my ego stroked or wanting only good comments. As far as the food diary goes I don't particularly want ANY comments, negative or positive. I know what I'm eating, and whether it's healthy or not, I don't need other people offering their unsolicited opinions on what I eat. And I don't even have friends who would make negative comments, I just don't care to have everything on display for anyone to poke their noses into.
  • ninaquelinda
    Options
    I made mine private after seeing comments that other people made, not to me but in general. My evenings a busy with my kids and I don't always log back in to complete my diary.... I wouldn't want people to think I'm starving myself!
  • ChasingSweatandTears
    ChasingSweatandTears Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I also use mine as a journal some days about my overall diet and bowel movements and what makes me feel bloated or gassy, etc. I also put when I started my period. You wanna know all that? :bigsmile:
    I track many things here other than my diet. I like to look for patterns so I can understand my body from a medical perspective. That's my reality and its a pretty personal thing. And I choose who I let in :)
  • natini
    natini Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I turned off the setting that alerts my friends if I ate under or over. I personally don't need praise on my daily goals. I go back and forth keeping my diary open. I know when I am doing well or not. I don't want other people commenting. I like support in other ways. If I need help with my diary then I will ask.
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I just realized, I've never looked at another person's diary. I guess I'm happy with whatever results they want to post on their personal news feed.
  • hypergrl
    hypergrl Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I keep my diary as a private record.. not to get messages about why im eating less, or you should eat more of this, or less of that.

^^^^This is how I feel about it. And yes I've looked at other's diaries especially if I admire their progress and want to see the secret to their success. I'll also look if someone is asking for help with food questions.
  • chachadiva150
    chachadiva150 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    i don't like it, and i'm going to start deleting
    Go ahead and delete. Folks not checking for you.

Really, your MFP "friendship" means very little to most people. You don't know them and they don't know you.
  • EmpressOfJudgment
    EmpressOfJudgment Posts: 1,162 Member
    Options
    i don't like it, and i'm going to start deleting
    That's real mature. And very supportive.

I find it hilarious that someone would get so mad about this. There isn't a set of rules we all have to follow. Make it your own and do what works for you. What's next? You don't agree with the exercises people are doing so you are going to delete them too?
  • aftergypsies
    aftergypsies Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I am doing this for me not for anyone else that is why mine is closed. Well, actually i just never bothered to open it. Maybe I will. I think it's hilarious that people will read a diary and then message someone about what they don't like. Mind your own business. Lol. That just seems INSANE to me.
  • Drawberry
    Drawberry Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    A better question is; Why does it matter to you?

Not everyone is interested in sharing what every single microscopic detail of their lives are and they have no obligation to share this with you or anyone else. If they wanted to share the information, they would. If someone is genuinely curious they can message this person privately and it's up to them if they're willing to share that information in a private way.

It isn't anyone's business who is doing what with their bodies, and I am ruffled by the level of arrogance where someone feel's they have the right to know this information.

Mine is open because I have no issues with myself any longer, keeping this diary open is part of what's keeping me honest about myself and I need to learn to feel secure in myself. I don't do it for others, or for praise or negativity. It's for me and a way I know to keep myself on track. This is how I do things, but by no means how others SHOULD.
  • paxier
    paxier Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I also use mine as a journal some days about my overall diet and bowel movements and what makes me feel bloated or gassy, etc. I also put when I started my period. You wanna know all that? :bigsmile:
    I track many things here other than my diet. I like to look for patterns so I can understand my body from a medical perspective. That's my reality and its a pretty personal thing. And I choose who I let in :)
    [/quote

:laugh: haha nope wouldn't want to see that. ]