Closed Diaries?

Options

Replies

• JSheehy1965
    JSheehy1965 Posts: 404
    Options
    I keep mine open to stay accountable to my friends and also to get some advice if needed. Constructive criticism is always welome! :)
  • Kayley
    Kayley Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    My food log is public and I try to complete it everyday. It motivates me to make better food choices knowing that people will be checking it out when I'm done for the day. :laugh:
  • LauraSmyth28
    LauraSmyth28 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Well I keep mine open even though I've been told a million times I eat too many carbs.

But hey, I've lost 29lbs so I must be doing something right.

I wouldn't keep it closed because I don't really see a point in filling in a diary if I'm the only one who sees it. Why not just write down your calories on a piece of paper? I've nothing to be ashamed of in my diary and neither do the rest of you.
  • paxier
    paxier Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    You have been on this site for almost a year and have to ask this question? Apparently you must skip right on by all the nasty hateful posts. Good for you! Site must be super supportive then for you...for others not so much.

W.O W !!! Yes i did sign up a long time ago, but in fact have only started using/logging my foods 2 or so months ago. GEEZ!!!

yes good for me!! thanks.
  • paxier
    paxier Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I'm such a *****. I just locked mine up in honor of this thread. LOL!
    [/quote
    haha you rebel! :laugh:
  • sullykat
    sullykat Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of people that leave pretty nasty messages for some people's diaries. I now will only leave my diary open to my friends.

Hmmm haven't seen that in the time I've been here. Why do you care what other people say? MFP is your personal health journey to success. Negative comments push me to try harder. If you only hear the good what do you gain and why do you need friends to stroke your ego?

Negative comments don't have that effect on everyone. For some people it just discourages and depresses them. And it's not a matter of needing to have my ego stroked or wanting only good comments. As far as the food diary goes I don't particularly want ANY comments, negative or positive. I know what I'm eating, and whether it's healthy or not, I don't need other people offering their unsolicited opinions on what I eat. And I don't even have friends who would make negative comments, I just don't care to have everything on display for anyone to poke their noses into.

Agreed! Women (I am aware I am generalizing here, and DO NOT mean ALL women, or just women) tend to be a little more sensitive than men are. I noticed this at the gym, and talked to my trainer at the time about it. My boxing coach was a man, and he thought that if he told me I was doing terrible, that it would make me want to work harder... WRONG! made me want to give up. My female trainer said that with more experience as a trainer, you get to know that more than 50% of the time, women do not respond well to that kind of support, but men do.
  • messyinthekitchen
    messyinthekitchen Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Not everyone is here for support though. Some people are here only to track their calories and log their exercise.
  • Nikki_42
    Nikki_42 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    People that complain about not losing weight and are asking for help on the message boards should have open diary's. Otherwise they don't really want help, they just want to complain.

Outside off that, the only reason a diary should be open is so I can still ideas. :wink:
  • Nikki_42
    Options
    Not everyone is here for support though. Some people are here only to track their calories and log their exercise.

Agree. But it's such a great support system they should be using it fully.
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the concept of not being supportive because you can't see thier diaries. I'm supportive of all my friends and have no idea what they eat. If they want specific help that is one thing and they usually ask. I would only open it to people I trust explicitly. And since I know no one that well on here, I'm closed.
  • KelseyDawn84
    KelseyDawn84 Posts: 129 Member
    Options

What? That's quite the assumption about what I need. There are other ways to gain a support system. And frankly, sometimes this one sucks.
  • mwest11
    mwest11 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I have my diary CLOSED. I am here to record and track calories and hold myself accountable, not let someone snoop in my diary and let me know what I did right or wrong. If someone were to see my results down the road and then ask about my eating habits I might share or I might not. It's my business and I think it's pretty weird that you think it's so important...
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options

Exactly. This is why I'm here. MFP has been an excellent tool that I use to log what I eat and what exercise I do. It keeps me being honest with myself about how much crap I'm eating. But this journey to get healthy is a personal journey for me. What I'm doing is working for me, it may or may not work for you.

If you want to know what I'm doing to get ideas, ask me. Don't be some creepy stalker or troll.
  • Ihatechokos4eva
    Options
    Mine is Private purely because I know I won't be honest if it was public. I'd skip logging the little things. And we all know it's the little things that add up! :blushing:
  • sizzle92
    sizzle92 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I also closed mine because I was worried an AA sponsor was going to come knocking on my door. :laugh:
  • Nikki_42
    Options

What? That's quite the assumption about what I need. There are other ways to gain a support system. And frankly, sometimes this one sucks.

I wasn't trying to offend you. But you're right, I am assuming. By the time a person decides to track every single calorie on a public internet site, it's probably safe to assume, even if only a little, that they are looking for some type of extra support they didn't find anywhere else.
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    Because I don't want to be judged when I have a day of McDonald's...

This!

Mine is open but I don't care if other people's are closed. And if someone started wagging their finger at me to not have a treat every now and then or offer other unsolicited advice that would bother me.

Also, why do you need to congratulate them? Maybe they don't care if they get random congratulations from people.
  • chachadiva150
    chachadiva150 Posts: 482 Member
    Options

I wasn't trying to offend you. But you're right, I am assuming. By the time a person decides to track every single calorie on a public internet site, it's probably safe to assume, even if only a little, that they are looking for some type of extra support they didn't find anywhere else.
    Nope. Maybe the online tracking tools are just a bit easier than tracking on paper. That's why many people use MFP. I don't need the "support" of strangers.
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    Some people are just private or sensitive...they don't WANT your remarks or input. I don't know why that's so hard to understand??

thanks I DO understand. however do they not want SUPPORT either from their MFP buddies?

I don't consider telling me what to eat/not eat SUPPORT unless I have asked for help.

Support me by congratulating how many days I have logged in, or that I did exercise or that I tracked at all. OR NOT.
    Personally, the "friend" thing on here doesn't motivate or support me. My family and IRL friends support me. The diary tracker for me is a tool.
  • ProjectTae
    ProjectTae Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    i don't like closed diaries, it defeats the whole purpose

I don't necessarily agree, my diary is open but I don't mind closed diaries, I think it's each individuals choice as to whether they want their diary closed or open, the purpose is to lose weight not share recopies, and as someone earlier stated there are plenty of open diaries to get ideas from (and a whole forum dedicated to that very thing), but we all have that nosy nature, (or at least I do) and like to creep friends diaries every now and then