Dating Websites....Your thoughts please.

Options

Replies

• txlady1956
    txlady1956 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I met my husband on My Yearbook (3 yrs ago). Tried Match, eHarmony, POF, etc. This one was free and set up like MySpace/facebook. Also met some good friends there. I'm older, married before, and listed what I would & would not accept up front. Good luck!
  • paxetamore
    paxetamore Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    So I'm a single mom (2 kids) and I think I'm ready to finally hit the dating scene outside my favorite bar :laugh: . Not looking for anything serious at this time but I want to get out and meet new people. Any thoughts and recommendations are appreciated on what websites you've used, heard about, will never use again, etc....

If you are not looking for something serious, definitely avoid e-harmony... it takes FOREVER to get to know someone on there.
    Match.com resulted in a five-year, kind of off/on thing, back when it was free.
    In the past few months, had MUCH success with Zoosk (free), and now dating a local someone exclusively :love:
    Not so much luck with POF and OKC (both free), but that could just be a demographic thing.

Otherwise, local events and groups that meet regularly are good too :-)

No matter what, be you, and and the dudes that are worth anything will dig that :wink:

Best of luck on your search for fun and companionship :drinker:
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I would rather shoot myself in the f-ing head than try online dating again. For the love of god - those are just the kings of the freaks on there. And every fat nasty bald greasy slob wants a Barbie girl and if you're not don't even bother. Best you can hope for is a booty call with some wierdo....
  • paxetamore
    paxetamore Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I would rather shoot myself in the f-ing head than try online dating again. For the love of god - those are just the kings of the freaks on there. And every fat nasty bald greasy slob wants a Barbie girl and if you're not don't even bother. Best you can hope for is a booty call with some wierdo....

Wow! That sure doesn't say much for us ladies also who are meeting dates online *ouch!*

I work LOTS (in a real profession), and the men I date work LOTS, so online meeting is a nice, convenient, quasi-substitute for the good ol' days... when we had free time and family gatherings with match-making aunties...

Granted there are freaks and weirdos on every site, but the key is to trust your instinct...

For example, I had some some basic guidelines to avoid while viewing profiles... NO married/separated, and never had children (especially in 40's with the stipulation that some day they do want to, eek! Yep, my eggs are too old LOL) Not to mention how many 40-something's have Never been married AND have no children... just gotta wonder... have they been in prison all these years? I do NOT mean to bash my peeps! (as a social scientist, I completely GET the whole industrial prison system thing)... This is purely online-dating-speak b/c there are some real creeps out there who will just tell us ladies they are "anxious to talk in person" ...

... anyhow, on to the Primary photo, beware of any of the following: no face, no eyes (sunglasses), an ex/unidentified woman, a tank top, a dog, a child... ack!

If one finds an interest, then by all means, share and share and share! Until then, use caution, protect your loved ones (and yes! this means on Facebook too!)

BTW, not all those online are freaks, and being a booty call can be a blast... for both parties involved!
  • tiffanic83
    tiffanic83 Posts: 64
    Options
    POF is like the trailer park of dating websites... I have a couple of ex's that troll for "hookups" on there.. The obvious point is that it's free, so you get the FULL range of people on there... so it can go both ways I suppose.

Pretty much lol
  • tiffanic83
    Options
    No *kitten* LOL so true!
  • iHEARTcardiacnurses
    iHEARTcardiacnurses Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I met my husband on My Yearbook (3 yrs ago).

I bet my current boyfriend on there on accident! Nothing like quoting "How I Met Your Mother" to strike up a conversation. First we talked and were friends and then....well... :love:
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    OkCupid changed my life. I met my husband on OkC in 2008. We've been married since 2010 (living together since 2008). I had been on the site for 2 years, and I was planning to delete my profile the day I met him. I was tired of talking to weirdos, nutjobs and jerks, as I appeared to be a magnet for those kinds of people.

He was under the "new people" section, which I was browsing due to boredom. His picture was interesting and his profile was funny.

He lived 50 miles away from me (in a different state), and after talking for 3 months, he convinced me to meet him. He drove to see me every day (he was in between projects with his job..he's a consultant)

We moved in a few months later, and the rest as they say is history. It's been a crazy ride, but I wouldn't change any of it. My life really did change that day.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    I have been married for 12 years, so meeting online was rare when I was dating. I heard a lot about POF, and my sister met her husband on hotornot.com.

wow, seriously?

I haven't heard of that site in like 20 years lol

Lol...my brother put me on hot or not like...well, 12yrs ago...lol. That eventually (I'm not sure how...other than that I was a working single dad, with no baby sitter...desperate for a social outlet) ended up morphing into an account on a site called bangme.net (no...its not what you think). I met my ex of seven years there...who is also the mother of my sons.

I've been on yahoo, msn, aol, pof, okcupid, yearbook, miumeet, badoo, zoosk, etc over the last twelve years...with absolutely no luck whatsoever.

I really think lol...that I'm destined to be single.
  • tiffanic83
    Options
    Maybe its the fact that you're the kind of guy who post those pictures of a girl on the internet... but that's only a guess.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Maybe its the fact that you're the kind of guy who post those pictures of a girl on the internet... but that's only a guess.

Yeah...that's got to be it. Thanks so much for the clue.

I mean...it only took me 12 seconds on Google image to find it...and maybe another 13 seconds to type in the image link. Also...you seem to have forgotten that the fabulous odusgolp DID ask what an angle picture was. So perhaps...rather than making (inaccurate) snap judgements about someone you clearly know nothing about...you could give a guy the benefit of the doubt and assume he was being helpful with a twist of sarcastic humor to top it off.

/sigh
  • tiffanic83
    Options
    Yes lets post those pics instead of using our words... " an angle pic as these men call it is when a woman takes a picture of herself with a more flattering angle so she looks more attractive than she otherwise would in person"
  • hazev74
    hazev74 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    i'm off to take some angle pics!:happy:
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I'm always amazed to discover that people who use social networking sites like this one might still harbour views that social networking sites are full of 'freaks and weirdos'.....

Online dating is fun. You meet a huge range of people. You can be as wild or as tame as you like. You can be much more 'choosy' than you can be in real life, because there's a far broader range of options. You can explore different kinds of people, find out more about yourself and more about what you like.

Yes, there are some strange people on these sites. But frankly, there are some pretty strange people at my place of work, at my gym, and down the local pub. So what?
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I don't mean to come off shallow or anything of that nature by my "angle" post earlier. But angle pics are essentially using camera angles to get the "perfect" shot, and only using them on your profile. I get that everyone is trying to 'sell themselves' but it's just a shocker when the person you meet is NOT what they have been advertising to you over the last few weeks.

I suspect it's a bit naive to expect that people will look exactly as their photos do... I always applied an 'honesty is the best policy' approach when meeting people. I could imagine nothing worse than that sinking look of disappointment when you walk through the door to meet someone. But I never really expected reciprocation. If you expect less, when more arrives, it's always a good surprise.

For what it's worth, I never got that look of disappointment from anyone, I have to say, and I dated quite a bit. It was a massive ego boost, if I'm honest, and lots of fun.
  • AshinAms
    AshinAms Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    If you're on facebook try zoosk... it's not as confrontational as the dating sites as it's a flirt thing.. I met my honey on there although I was on dating sites at the time.

Also, with any of them if you view it as fun rather than as actually searching it can be highly amusing. I once met a lawyer who told me I was spoilt to which I replied that he was an *kitten* (all this after 10 minutes of actually meeting) ;)

Funny thing is - his practice turned out to be in the building that my offices moved to so after that we had to be in the lift together every day ;)

Don't take it too seriously and have fun - you may never meet those people again so you can really do what you want and I mean really do what you want - no-one is going to judge you. Unless of course you live in a really small town.

PS. if you want to avoid the angle pics just take one of your boobs :P
  • NicNac86
    NicNac86 Posts: 130
    Options
    I met my other half online, but not through a dating site.

We met on a forum based on a topic in which we had a mutual interest. At least that way you know you've got at least one thing in common :smile:
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    Not that this is a dating site, but I met my fiance (who lives/lived cause we're moving in together at the end of the month) on this site.

www.myfitnesspal.com

:happy: :happy:
  • roslynds9
    roslynds9 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Met my boyfriend on EHarmony.com almost two years ago and we're very happy together =) I was on the site for less than a week when I met him, I'd recommend it to anyone =)
  • Tybalt71
    Tybalt71 Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    If you just want to hook up go on POF put your status to LOOKING FOR "LONG TERM" you'll get lots of hits no problem, tell them WOLFNSHEEPSCLOTHING sent you-Ty
    Ty you are killing me. For the love of all that is good and holy tell me why you sign your posts??? This is becoming the bane of my existence..with such questions as 'is there a god?' or 'what is the purpose of life?'. I have asked Sia Bevis but no luck.
    habbit, i personalize my post and sign off on it cuzz i own it and if i put something out there i should be called on it, i do my own thing, some use personalized sig or tag lines, mine is my name-TYTY