People who are burning 1000+ calories a day

Options

Replies

• 5kidsforme
    5kidsforme Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I'm with you, I burn 300 to 450 a day. I use a Heart Rate Monitor by Polar in order to figure out how many calories I burn. I walk 50 mins on some days and do Jazzercise for an hour on other days. I have only reached 500 calories burned twice doing Jazzercise.
  • Selma10001984
    Selma10001984 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Yea...I think MFP is lying it's a$# off...because I did 40 mins on elliptical this morning ...and the machine said I burned roughly 225 Cals...but I logged it in to MFP...and it said I burend 563 Cals...WTH? so I manually put in 400...I don't really think any of this crap is accurate.
  • Selma10001984
    Selma10001984 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I usually do the same thing :))
  • SirZee
    SirZee Posts: 381
    Options
    I don't keep track of weight lifting--five days a week--calories (no accurate way to do so) but even without those, it is easy to hit the 1000 cal mark with half hour running and an hour kickboxing in the same day. (Or with 2+ hours of table tennis and an hour of hockey game the last couple sundays).
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    The other day my long run was one hour and 41 minutes. I burned 1164 calories as measured by my HRM. I'm 36, Female and weigh about 178lbs.

That's one day for me, though. I burn about 3000-4000 over the course of a week. Some days it's only 350 or so from 40 minutes of Insanity.
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    Yea...I think MFP is lying it's a$# off...because I did 40 mins on elliptical this morning ...and the machine said I burned roughly 225 Cals...but I logged it in to MFP...and it said I burend 563 Cals...WTH? so I manually put in 400...I don't really think any of this crap is accurate.

EDIT i even put my weight into the machine...maybe my age is the reason it spikes so high on MFP...because my age is loaded here but not on the elliptical

No, I think MFP is just flat wrong. I use 2 other sites to come up with an average - Endomondo.com and http://www.primusweb.com/fitnesspartner/calculat.htm. MFP is always much higher.

This is also the main reason I never ever eat back 100% of my exercise calories.
  • Brandiberry77
    Brandiberry77 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I lift weights for about 45min - 1hr. I either walk/run a 5 mile route or do the elliptical for 50min on two settings and then finish the day off with Vinyasa Yoga for 70min. I don't track anything else like cleaning, playing with kids, gardening, ext.

I am pretty heavy right now and have been steadily loosing weight so I am not to worried about accurate recording. When I get closer to my goal weight (when it gets really tough to lose) I plan to get Fitbit or something so I can see what I am really burning for help.
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Bikram (yoga in a 105 degree room) can burn a ton of calories in a 90 min sesh. I weigh 118 lbs and burn aprox. 950 cals per sesh. If you weigh more you burn more. Be warned this is not deep breathing yoga, this is cardio and strength yoga.

Did you use a HRM to figure that out? Bikram yoga's tough, don't get me wrong, but I find it hard to believe it could possibly burn that much. I log it as 500 calories per session but I think I'm still overestimating.
  • dmdakd
    dmdakd Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind the size of the person who is logging those calories. The bigger you are the bigger the calorie burn is. I burn calories at almost twice the rate of my wife, which by the way does not make me very popular at dinner time when I am dumb enough to point out all of those calories that I have left for the day.
  • Mercenary1914
    Mercenary1914 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options

EDIT i even put my weight into the machine...maybe my age is the reason it spikes so high on MFP...because my age is loaded here but not on the elliptical

No, I think MFP is just flat wrong. I use 2 other sites to come up with an average - Endomondo.com and http://www.primusweb.com/fitnesspartner/calculat.htm. MFP is always much higher.

This is also the main reason I never ever eat back 100% of my exercise calories.

FINALLY! someone with some sense...I too agree never eat my calories back..because I don't believe the bs that they said I burned...I am with you girl!
  • chicpeach
    chicpeach Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I'm skeptical of any burn that high, especially when you see the diaries of many of these people and they're only eating 1000 cals a day. Biological law says, you can't keep doing that day after day without serious health consequences.

If I see a diary where someone's burning 1000 cals a day and consuming 2500, I'd be more inclined to believe the burn is truly that high. Haven't seen it yet.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I lift for about an hour 3 days a week, I do HIIT 3-4 days / week, I coach soccer two days a week and play soccer one day a week. I take the stairs whenever I come or go at work and I walk my dog 1-4 miles several times per week. I also try to kayak once or twice per week. I am generally at/over 1k avg per day.

What is your activity level set at? I prefer to set mine as sedentary so I can track all of the exercise without worrying if it's being double counted.
  • jcearth
    jcearth Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Run at least 5 miles a day. Also, the bigger you are, the more calories you burn - I am a little over 300 pounds, so I burn a lot of calories. In fact, I'm going to burn over 7000 calories on Sunday - I'm runnning a marathon.
  • melzenitram
    melzenitram Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    i used to p90 and turbofire and never burned anywhere near 1000 calories. i took up zumba and BAM i'm averaging 1000 calories burned per 60 minute class. make sure you have a GOOD hrm and it is set to your specs.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I haven't done it in a while, but it takes about 90 minutes of the elliptical or the same walking/jogging up and down some steep hills in my neighborhood to hit 1,000 calories burned.
  • tanyaleblanc
    Options
    wow! I must be totally doing it all wrong!!!!! I'm sooo disappointed that I'm not burning that many calories, especially for a Saturday night that I want to go out and have drinks.

I'm 32 yrs old, 5 feet tall and weight 121lbs.

I do P90X and burn about 300 calories, running for 50 mins about 6.5km burn about 500 calories, ice hockey about 450 calories, treadmill 50 mins about 350 calories, Les Mills Combat class at the gym, about 525 calories.

I have a heart rate monitor that I use every time with a chest strap.

What do you think I'm doing wrong? Please help?
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    When I do my long runs, like 8 miles or more, I burn well over a thousand calories :) I use those days as my "I get to eat barbecue and drink beer" days!

This right here except for me it's around 7 miles or more.
  • All4Tris
    All4Tris Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I did this for the first time with my workouts last week... I mostly workout at home but, I was able to get at least 1000 cals burned doing an hour worth of workout dvds (A combo of Turbo Jam and Supreme 90 Days). I had to do at least do two back to back workout dvds in order to reach 1000 cals burned. I did not like my increased appetite though!!!
  • MicheleTh
    MicheleTh Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I wonder myself how people burn 1000+ calories a day. I use a polar heart rate monitor and have done p90x and never got higher than 500 calorie burn. The only thing I can come up with is that I am a short person 5'2". i also have a low resting heart rate of 51 - 56.
  • sdavis448
    sdavis448 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I'm really overweight.. so I burn like 2x as much as other people doing the same activities.

Jillian Micheals 30 day shred, Biggest loser Cardio (10-20 min) and 25 minutes on the elliptical puts me at about 1000 calories burned.