Carbs are making you fat

Options

Replies

• boggsmeister
    boggsmeister Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I thought it was my love of bacon and a sausage that made me fat. I'm glad to know that it was all those carbs. I'm going back to eating lbs of bacon each day and still lose weight...that's awesome! I really don't understand these posts. Calories make you fat when you eat too many of them. It's not about carbs vs. low carb. If you eat too many calories on a low carb diet, you will still be fat (and you probably won't feel very good). I have a serious problem with "diet" plans that make you cut out all of one kind of food. It just doesn't seem right or sustainable.

^^^^^ This
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    Wow! Nice discussing things with you all. Take care.

Sadly, you don't seem to grasp the concept of discussion. :frown:
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Low carb is the diet of sedentary people. Active people need carbs to fuel their activities. Even the good card/bad carb argument breaks down for endurance athletes. As a cyclist I have to work to get enough carbs and while on the bike I need simple carbs high on the glycemic index (the alleged bad carbs) like drinks with sucrose and such to get energy into my system quickly. Complex carbs and bars with carbs and protein are too slow to enter the system. As warm weather is upon us and my cycling is ratcheting up I have increased my carbs dramatically and after a winter of no weight lose I am now losing a pound a week or more and may have to increase calories to slow my rate of lose since I am close to goal weight. Pro cyclists are usually the skinniest people in any room yet they go after carbs like piranhas! According to Chris Carmichael (Lance Armstrong’s coach/trainer in his book "Food For Fitness" I should be consuming 500 grams of carbs daily, which equates to 3,000 calories, while elite cyclist need far more. I don't eat that much, but I don't get Lance Armstrong's results either. Carbs are the preferred fuel of the body to sustain activity. Long live the carb!
  • Qcrazy
    Qcrazy Posts: 19
    Options
    I have to say my favorite part of this thread was the giraffe eating popcorn! I LMFAO! I don't understand why ppl are hating on us low carb-ers? I am on day 11 and my blood sugar went from 350's to 140's. Their is a diet for everyone, I'm not gonna hate on yours.
  • lindaschultz45
    lindaschultz45 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Read this from a trainer here in Memphis....makes a lot of sense...

The only food we had available to eat was what nature provided in the season in which it was available. When you examine food availabilities, you find that fruits, vegetables, and grain only grow May through August - then everything that grows out of the ground dies. Starting in September, nature provided you with only one food choice; it has legs, wings, or gills: animal proteins. Without refrigeration, canning, or shipping to move food around you had no other choice. This is the diet program our bodies were designed to follow. In fact, we put on an average of 20-50 pounds of body fat during the summer months as most fruits and vegetables are designed to make you gain huge amounts of body fat very quickly. To further understand the concept of our ancestral diet, we must examine the three food groups: Fats, Proteins, and Carbohydrates. Our Ancestral Diet. For 39,900 years the human race survived on three sources of food for ¾ of the year: wings, legs and gills. Fruits and vegetables were consumed in the summer, when they were in season, and helped humans to gain extra body fat to “prep” themselves for the winter months. (Basically eat like God designed our body to eat!)

Dietary fat is not the enemy. If you were to go home and drink 8 ounces of olive oil for dinner you would not get fat; you would throw-up or have a bad case of diarrhea. Our bodies do a fairly good job at managing dietary fat – too much will make you sick instantly. However, with a total absence of dietary fat, you would die; the body must have it. This need is the major problem with low-fat diets – your body begins to crave sugar. Your brain will not talk you into eating a stick of butter, but ice cream and chocolate, typical cravings, are nothing more than dietary fat loaded with sugar. Increasing your healthy fats will help to curb sugar cravings. In this diet, flaxseed oil tablets are used. Flaxseed oil is very good for you and it will help manage your dietary fat intake and help control you sugar cravings. While dietary fat consumption is not how you get fat, you must remember that dietary fat is high in calories, so you must watch adding it to meals to avoid overloading your caloric intake.

Hopefully now you have grasped the concept of carbohydrates and understand why they must be drastically cut back to turn your body into a fat burning machine. It sounds easy, so why are low-carbohydrate diets so hard to follow? Years ago, soft drink manufacturers conducted studies on Rhesus monkeys because their DNA structure very closely resembles our own. The monkeys were given a choice between sugar water and nutritious foods. The monkeys drank the sugar water until they died from malnutrition. Why? Sugar is addictive as cocaine or heroin. Along with the low-fat craze, the food industry increased the sugar content of most of your food and condiments with high fructose corn syrup. After this increase in sugar content our food, consumption quadrupled as well as our obesity epidemic. Now type II diabetes is the fastest progressing illness in America in both adults and children. We are about to see a generation of type I (insulin dependent) conversions, which was previously not thought to be possible. Normal, healthy adults will become diabetics using daily insulin shots because of our American diet.

The grain industry has not missed this opportunity either. It has been well established that to increase the growth rate of livestock, food intake must be maximized. To accomplish this result cattle farmers use a mixture of wheat, grain, and molasses to geed livestock so that they can maximize the weight gain in minimum time. We call this food group CEREAL! Breakfast cereals are the exact same food that is used to maximize food consumption and fat storage in livestock. Another interesting myth is that we need to drink milk. We are the only mammals that continue to drink milk past a short weaning period. Milk came from the breast of women and was designed to feed babies without teeth in the wilderness. Why do we drink cow milk? Horses don’t drink cow milk and dogs don’t drink cat milk. If you were to drink a glass of fresh milk from a cow, you would probably gag from the taste and smell. The milk you buy in stores is pasteurized and loaded with sugar to overcome this initial reaction. We are told that milk is necessary for calcium, but the truth is that the calcium in milk is not well absorbed by the body. Green vegetables have calcium levels that are better absorbed by the body, so if you are concerned about calcium eat more spinach.
  • Lasirenn
    Lasirenn Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    This caught my attention:

"Taubes' most controversial theories in the book are these: that there's no evidence saturated fat and cholesterol do anything for us, either positive or negative. They don't cause heart disease, he claims. Nor does salt cause high blood pressure and hypertension. He says fiber is not a necessary part of our diet, especially if we cut out the carbs. And perhaps most controversial of all, Taubes said exercise does not lead to weight loss. "Exercise makes us hungry," he said, which causes overeating, and leads to the buildup of insulin mentioned earlier. He posits that thin people aren't thin because they exercise, rather, they exercise because being thin gives them the energy to work out."

For a guy who has done 30+ years of research, he conveniently overlooks common sense. Yes, it is now believed that fat has been over-demonized (like carbs are now...protein, don't get smug. You're next.) The body produces cholesterol on its own. If you ingest cholesterol, your body will therefore produce less. It creates it on an as-needed basis. However, there are plenty of people who genetically produce excess cholesterol all the time. I have seen them, both fat and skinny. Those people should watch their cholesterol and fat intake. That's just the card they were dealt. I hate when people group lifestyle conditions and genetic conditions together. A type 2 diabetic, especially one in the early stages of their diseases, can reverse or control their condition with diet and exercise. A type 1 diabetic cannot and will never be able to. Also, he says fiber isn't necessary? I guess if you don't mind having hard stools and poor colon health. And no, exercise alone does not cause weight loss. Weight loss is primarily about diet. You can never ever ever out-exercise a poor diet. I could run five miles and burn 500 calories, but if I binge all day on high-calorie junk it won't make it difference if I still don't deficit my calories. Exercise personally, does not make me hungry. I fuel up properly before hand. And thin people only exercise because they have the energy due to their thinness? Okay...tell that to the really thin girls I used to see in cardio class, who sometimes struggled as much as me with all my extra weight. Weight/build is not always an indicator of fitness and I know plenty of thin people who sit around and do nothing.
  • Qcrazy
    Qcrazy Posts: 19
    Options

The only food we had available to eat was what nature provided in the season in which it was available. When you examine food availabilities, you find that fruits, vegetables, and grain only grow May through August - then everything that grows out of the ground dies. Starting in September, nature provided you with only one food choice; it has legs, wings, or gills: animal proteins. Without refrigeration, canning, or shipping to move food around you had no other choice. This is the diet program our bodies were designed to follow. In fact, we put on an average of 20-50 pounds of body fat during the summer months as most fruits and vegetables are designed to make you gain huge amounts of body fat very quickly. To further understand the concept of our ancestral diet, we must examine the three food groups: Fats, Proteins, and Carbohydrates. Our Ancestral Diet. For 39,900 years the human race survived on three sources of food for ¾ of the year: wings, legs and gills. Fruits and vegetables were consumed in the summer, when they were in season, and helped humans to gain extra body fat to “prep” themselves for the winter months. (Basically eat like God designed our body to eat!)

Dietary fat is not the enemy. If you were to go home and drink 8 ounces of olive oil for dinner you would not get fat; you would throw-up or have a bad case of diarrhea. Our bodies do a fairly good job at managing dietary fat – too much will make you sick instantly. However, with a total absence of dietary fat, you would die; the body must have it. This need is the major problem with low-fat diets – your body begins to crave sugar. Your brain will not talk you into eating a stick of butter, but ice cream and chocolate, typical cravings, are nothing more than dietary fat loaded with sugar. Increasing your healthy fats will help to curb sugar cravings. In this diet, flaxseed oil tablets are used. Flaxseed oil is very good for you and it will help manage your dietary fat intake and help control you sugar cravings. While dietary fat consumption is not how you get fat, you must remember that dietary fat is high in calories, so you must watch adding it to meals to avoid overloading your caloric intake.

Hopefully now you have grasped the concept of carbohydrates and understand why they must be drastically cut back to turn your body into a fat burning machine. It sounds easy, so why are low-carbohydrate diets so hard to follow? Years ago, soft drink manufacturers conducted studies on Rhesus monkeys because their DNA structure very closely resembles our own. The monkeys were given a choice between sugar water and nutritious foods. The monkeys drank the sugar water until they died from malnutrition. Why? Sugar is addictive as cocaine or heroin. Along with the low-fat craze, the food industry increased the sugar content of most of your food and condiments with high fructose corn syrup. After this increase in sugar content our food, consumption quadrupled as well as our obesity epidemic. Now type II diabetes is the fastest progressing illness in America in both adults and children. We are about to see a generation of type I (insulin dependent) conversions, which was previously not thought to be possible. Normal, healthy adults will become diabetics using daily insulin shots because of our American diet.

The grain industry has not missed this opportunity either. It has been well established that to increase the growth rate of livestock, food intake must be maximized. To accomplish this result cattle farmers use a mixture of wheat, grain, and molasses to geed livestock so that they can maximize the weight gain in minimum time. We call this food group CEREAL! Breakfast cereals are the exact same food that is used to maximize food consumption and fat storage in livestock. Another interesting myth is that we need to drink milk. We are the only mammals that continue to drink milk past a short weaning period. Milk came from the breast of women and was designed to feed babies without teeth in the wilderness. Why do we drink cow milk? Horses don’t drink cow milk and dogs don’t drink cat milk. If you were to drink a glass of fresh milk from a cow, you would probably gag from the taste and smell. The milk you buy in stores is pasteurized and loaded with sugar to overcome this initial reaction. We are told that milk is necessary for calcium, but the truth is that the calcium in milk is not well absorbed by the body. Green vegetables have calcium levels that are better absorbed by the body, so if you are concerned about calcium eat more spinach.
    CLAP CLAP LOVE THIS!
  • kirstyg1980
    kirstyg1980 Posts: 302
    Options
    everything makes you fat if you eat it to excess. x

THIS^^^^^^^^^
  • Erica27511
    Erica27511 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Don't look in my food diary...

(typed while eating an ice cream sammich)

:laugh:
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Sadly, I dont think the truth will ever be allowed out. Too many big industries (i.e. flour, sugar, pharmaceutical, supermarkets) are making too much money from the present "so called" healthy eating regime. No one can touch it. Whatever you believe, you should ask the question, why is obesity, heart disease and diabetes on the increase in such a huge scale?

fast food. overeating. lots of snacks.

I eat carbs, in moderation, just the same with EVERYTHING else and I've lost 90lbs.
  • AggieLu
    AggieLu Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    ... and I happen to agree, too.
  • lindaschultz45
    lindaschultz45 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I agree with you on this. When my daughter did rehab, there was a young slim lady who was having to do rehab because she had such a weak back due to never working out. Just because you are thin does not mean you should not exercise. To build your muscles and strength you need to work your muscles....by exercising.
  • lemonadem
    lemonadem Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Eating popcorn while reading this thread. Nom nom nom.
  • katgirl985
    katgirl985 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Not weighing in on this conversation, but it reminds me of Scott Pilgrim.

Bread makes you FAT?!?
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    Nowww you tell me! I thought sitting on mya$$ doing nothing all day made me fat.
  • dylan1mary
    dylan1mary Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    There are three varieties of carbs: simple carbs, complex carbs, and dietary fiber. The body runs on glucose ( that's the molecule your cell burns for energy) . Glucose is the sugar produced when you digest carbs. The simple carbs are the ones to watch out for because your body only stores what it needs anything else is converted to glycogen and stored as energy in your liver and muscles. You body is able to store around 400 grams go glycogen into your liver and muscles. A gram of carbs is four calories. If you add up glucose stored in glycogen to the small amount of glucose in your cells and blood it about 1800 cals of energy. If you diet provides more carbs than you need to produce this amount of stored caloies in the form of glucose and glycogen in your cells, blood, muscles, and liver, the excess will be converted to FAT! Yes, too many carbs can be a bad thing.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options

CLAP CLAP LOVE THIS!

I really like this, BUT I love COW-MILK :sad: :sad: :sad:
  • Syreeta6
    Syreeta6 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    This is hilarious.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options

2mrfqk4.png
  • brandi22479
    brandi22479 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Marilyn Monroe credits her beautiful figure to pasta (AKA, carbs)

marilyn-monroe-heels.jpg

She so fat...

Umm, I don't know if you picked the best possible picture to illustrate your point...

Ugh! She's flabby, not fat.
This discussion has been closed.