People who are burning 1000+ calories a day

Options

Replies

• iAMaPhoenix
    iAMaPhoenix Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    It is all an estimate. I always wear my HRM when I work out and I try to never eat back all my exercise calories, because a deficit of 3500 cals a week equals a pound of weight loss. 1000 calories is easy to do if you have the time, and on days when I want to see a burn like this, I get up at 4:30 to go to the gym...a la this morning.
  • AmyLRed
    AmyLRed Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    ZUMBA or cardio kickboxing! Altho some people will argue you can't burn that much in a hour. I sweat buckets doing both and have had people verify that it is possible to burn over 1000 cal in 65-75 min doing either of these!

It will also depend on your hight, weight, intensity, etc. I do an hour of cardio kickboxing 2-3x week, sweat like crazy, and work really hard. However, i use my HRM and get a burn of 315-400cals, usually under 350. For an hour.
    For what its worth, i am female, 32, 5'1", 147lbs. Someone who is 200lbs will burn far more than me in that time, but i have never had a calorie burn higher than 500cals or so, and thats with a good hour and a half to two hours!
  • Kiki829
    Kiki829 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Ok, I have a questions for you all. I also wear a HRM with a chest strap when I exercise, and I have burned over 1,000 cals the last couple of times I have exercised. Now to my question: How many of those do you eat back??? I have a large deficit most days, but I have alot of weight I want to lose (over 100 lbs.) I am also nursing my 7 month old.
  • michaelthorsonjr
    Options
    I run 10-12 miles at a 7:30 pace.
  • lauraemthomson
    lauraemthomson Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    cardio... but remember the heavier u r the more u burn. plus i think mfp over estimate calorie burning compared to hrm.
  • trybefan
    trybefan Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Boxing/kickboxing for 45-60 minutes will destroy calories
  • athensguy
    athensguy Posts: 550
    Options
    Yea...I think MFP is lying it's a$# off...because I did 40 mins on elliptical this morning ...and the machine said I burned roughly 225 Cals...but I logged it in to MFP...and it said I burend 563 Cals...WTH? so I manually put in 400...I don't really think any of this crap is accurate.

EDIT i even put my weight into the machine...maybe my age is the reason it spikes so high on MFP...because my age is loaded here but not on the elliptical

It's because minutes is not a good way to estimate calories for cardio.

For instance, according to my Garmin, I burn around 125 calories per mile. I burn about the same number of calories per mile whether I'm running 1600 meter repeats @ 6:30 minutes per mile or running home @ 8:30. However, MFP doesn't ask distance. It asks time.

I do think the Garmin overestimates my calorie burn a little, but it's working for me so far.
  • Cycl0tr0n
    Cycl0tr0n Posts: 52
    Options
    When I'm one of those folks I'm riding the bike. A couple hours in the saddle can burn a ton of calories. I don't drive, so I ride everywhere, and it all adds up.

Admittedly, I also ride pretty hard. I rarely clock less than 14 MPH moving average -- on serious training rides I clock 18+ MPH moving average.

If I know I'm going to go out for pizza or whatever, I'll put in an extra hour or two of intense riding so I can 'buy' the calories to enjoy whatever I'm eating without worrying about it.

Long runs and walks will do it, too.
  • Cycl0tr0n
    Cycl0tr0n Posts: 52
    Options

4. Do not develop your fitness plan around what burns the most calories. Determine what your fitness goals are, and come with a plan to reach those goals while taking into account activities that you enjoy. If the ONLY reason you want to be a runner is it "burns a ton of calories", you'll either find something else to like about running, or you'll stop running.

This is perfect right here. If you don't enjoy what you are doing, it won't work forever. It is too hard to stay motivated to do something you don't like, just to get a calorie burn. I want to be able to run long distances again. I have been adding interval training to get my endurance up so I can add distance and speed. I want to do this, it just happens to burn a lot of calories for me right now. Find activities that you like, that you will keep doing.

I love what I do, it wasn't until I started using my hrm that I noticed that what I love happens to burn a lot of calories for me.

Also, what they said :D Once again, if MFP had a +1 button...
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    I don't burn 1000+ calories often, but when I do it's usually because of a 2-3 hour hike in the mountains.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Some people work out a LOT but you also have to remember, bigger people burn more calories. Some of those people might be overweight, too.
  • nixirain
    nixirain Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    wow! I must be totally doing it all wrong!!!!! I'm sooo disappointed that I'm not burning that many calories, especially for a Saturday night that I want to go out and have drinks.

I'm 32 yrs old, 5 feet tall and weight 121lbs.

I do P90X and burn about 300 calories, running for 50 mins about 6.5km burn about 500 calories, ice hockey about 450 calories, treadmill 50 mins about 350 calories, Les Mills Combat class at the gym, about 525 calories.

I have a heart rate monitor that I use every time with a chest strap.

What do you think I'm doing wrong? Please help?

Nothing at all. Sorry. It sounds like you are doing it about right.

I'm 6' 3" and weigh 218. The extra hundred pounds I have means I burn more calories moving it around, and I've got a larger muscle base to burn those calories, given that I weigh almost twice what you do.

If you've got your chest strap calibrated properly for your height and weight, then it's probably giving you decent numbers.

Maybe do a planned calorie spike for the weekend? Save 100 calories or so a day during the week, and you'll have 500 calories to "spend" on the weekends?

little bits like us don't get crazy high burns!
  • Mercenary1914
    Mercenary1914 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    Yea...I think MFP is lying it's a$# off...because I did 40 mins on elliptical this morning ...and the machine said I burned roughly 225 Cals...but I logged it in to MFP...and it said I burend 563 Cals...WTH? so I manually put in 400...I don't really think any of this crap is accurate.

EDIT i even put my weight into the machine...maybe my age is the reason it spikes so high on MFP...because my age is loaded here but not on the elliptical

It's because minutes is not a good way to estimate calories for cardio.

For instance, according to my Garmin, I burn around 125 calories per mile. I burn about the same number of calories per mile whether I'm running 1600 meter repeats @ 6:30 minutes per mile or running home @ 8:30. However, MFP doesn't ask distance. It asks time.

I do think the Garmin overestimates my calorie burn a little, but it's working for me so far.

yea...I need to get something that can (COME CLOSE) to measuring the carories I burn...but also I would like to add...it doesn't take into account resistance setting...I did random resistance this morning.
  • Jenner22
    Jenner22 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    The only time I hit over 1k calories a day was when I did 60+ minute high intense cardio at the gym. I was also 230 lbs so I will burn more calories then someone smaller then me.
  • MOPNB
    MOPNB Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    P90X Plyometrics = 930 calories at my weight.

sometimes this link works :)http://p90xcalories.com/
  • dolldreams
    dolldreams Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I ride a stationary bike at 17 mph for 30 minute clips at a time. Burns about 460 calories each 30 minutes and I *try* to get in 3 rides a day.

Oh yeah, and I'm 5'11" and weigh 192 right now so I burn more than what MFP estimates. I don't change the log to reflect that though. I know what I burn because I use a HRM. The monitor on my bike is wayyyy off so I wear a separate one. I ride a Diamondback 510U.
  • ilovesnugglies
    ilovesnugglies Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    During my 90 minute walk MFP says I only burn less than 500 calories but my pedometer says I burn more than 700. I have come to purposely under quote my excersize so I can stay at a lower calorie level, especially on days when I do not work out.
  • 1funkyboy
    1funkyboy Posts: 6
    Options
    I'm hitting 1000cals on the Elliptical Trainer in an hour (mind you i look possessed on it)

Starting weight 135kg, now down to 94kg = (297pounds down to 206.8)
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    I swim/bike/run in various combinations throughout the week.
  • Hoakiebs
    Hoakiebs Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Much depends on how much you weigh, as well. When I was 250, I could burn 1000 walking for about 80 minutes, now at 200 I have to walk about 110 minutes to get the same. A 150 lb. woman is going to have to walk dor 2.5 hours to get the same.