Carbs are making you fat

Options

Replies

• carrieo888
    carrieo888 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Carbs don't make you fat, fat doesn't make you fat, protein doesn't make you fat. Eating more calories than you use makes you fat!

A more recent study followed people on the three major fad diets, and some who just ate few calories than used. ALL lost weight. A year later, the one's who just maintained their calorie deficit kept the weight off, because their eating habits were sustainable and healthy. All others gained back the weight - some gained more - because they could not sustain the strict eating habits.

Just sayin'.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Read this from a trainer here in Memphis....makes a lot of sense...

The only food we had available to eat was what nature provided in the season in which it was available. When you examine food availabilities, you find that fruits, vegetables, and grain only grow May through August - then everything that grows out of the ground dies. Starting in September, nature provided you with only one food choice; it has legs, wings, or gills: animal proteins. Without refrigeration, canning, or shipping to move food around you had no other choice. This is the diet program our bodies were designed to follow. In fact, we put on an average of 20-50 pounds of body fat during the summer months as most fruits and vegetables are designed to make you gain huge amounts of body fat very quickly. To further understand the concept of our ancestral diet, we must examine the three food groups: Fats, Proteins, and Carbohydrates. Our Ancestral Diet. For 39,900 years the human race survived on three sources of food for ¾ of the year: wings, legs and gills. Fruits and vegetables were consumed in the summer, when they were in season, and helped humans to gain extra body fat to “prep” themselves for the winter months. (Basically eat like God designed our body to eat!)

Dietary fat is not the enemy. If you were to go home and drink 8 ounces of olive oil for dinner you would not get fat; you would throw-up or have a bad case of diarrhea. Our bodies do a fairly good job at managing dietary fat – too much will make you sick instantly. However, with a total absence of dietary fat, you would die; the body must have it. This need is the major problem with low-fat diets – your body begins to crave sugar. Your brain will not talk you into eating a stick of butter, but ice cream and chocolate, typical cravings, are nothing more than dietary fat loaded with sugar. Increasing your healthy fats will help to curb sugar cravings. In this diet, flaxseed oil tablets are used. Flaxseed oil is very good for you and it will help manage your dietary fat intake and help control you sugar cravings. While dietary fat consumption is not how you get fat, you must remember that dietary fat is high in calories, so you must watch adding it to meals to avoid overloading your caloric intake.

Hopefully now you have grasped the concept of carbohydrates and understand why they must be drastically cut back to turn your body into a fat burning machine. It sounds easy, so why are low-carbohydrate diets so hard to follow? Years ago, soft drink manufacturers conducted studies on Rhesus monkeys because their DNA structure very closely resembles our own. The monkeys were given a choice between sugar water and nutritious foods. The monkeys drank the sugar water until they died from malnutrition. Why? Sugar is addictive as cocaine or heroin. Along with the low-fat craze, the food industry increased the sugar content of most of your food and condiments with high fructose corn syrup. After this increase in sugar content our food, consumption quadrupled as well as our obesity epidemic. Now type II diabetes is the fastest progressing illness in America in both adults and children. We are about to see a generation of type I (insulin dependent) conversions, which was previously not thought to be possible. Normal, healthy adults will become diabetics using daily insulin shots because of our American diet.

The grain industry has not missed this opportunity either. It has been well established that to increase the growth rate of livestock, food intake must be maximized. To accomplish this result cattle farmers use a mixture of wheat, grain, and molasses to geed livestock so that they can maximize the weight gain in minimum time. We call this food group CEREAL! Breakfast cereals are the exact same food that is used to maximize food consumption and fat storage in livestock. Another interesting myth is that we need to drink milk. We are the only mammals that continue to drink milk past a short weaning period. Milk came from the breast of women and was designed to feed babies without teeth in the wilderness. Why do we drink cow milk? Horses don’t drink cow milk and dogs don’t drink cat milk. If you were to drink a glass of fresh milk from a cow, you would probably gag from the taste and smell. The milk you buy in stores is pasteurized and loaded with sugar to overcome this initial reaction. We are told that milk is necessary for calcium, but the truth is that the calcium in milk is not well absorbed by the body. Green vegetables have calcium levels that are better absorbed by the body, so if you are concerned about calcium eat more spinach.

Are you talking about this guy - Kevin Anthony
    http://whyamisofat.net/uploads/Why_am_I_so_Fat.pdf
    http://www.WhyamIsoFat.net/index.html
  • cms721
    cms721 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Sadly, I dont think the truth will ever be allowed out. Too many big industries (i.e. flour, sugar, pharmaceutical, supermarkets) are making too much money from the present "so called" healthy eating regime. No one can touch it. Whatever you believe, you should ask the question, why is obesity, heart disease and diabetes on the increase in such a huge scale?
  • Shelby814
    Shelby814 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I am a medical professional, but I'm not going to quote any studies. All I can do is go by how carbs make me feel and that is BAD. I get nauseated, bloated, fatigued, get abdominal distention & gas. I try to eat very few carbs unless they come from fruit or vegetables, particularly after 5pm. I support individual choice, however, if someone is at a plateau or what they're doing isn't working, I would suggest switching it up & backing off the carbs. :)
  • onedayillbeamilf
    onedayillbeamilf Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Dude, I don't know or give an eff. I sure as hell know that a tight ripped body doesn't come from junk food. So be a smart *kitten* but I know you get my point.

directed to guy with abs for his profile pic

I haven't read through to see the responses to this, although I'm confident he's probably already answered this and told you that he eats ice cream every night. He really does. If you go to the grocery store and they are out of Ben & Jerry's, check his freezer. He buys that stuff in insane quantities and eats it every. single. day.
  • cms721
    Options
    Because people are getting lazy and fat based on there own habits (not by man made sugar etc..). We pay good $$$$ to sit on our *kitten* and eat cheesy poofs on the couch (internet bill, cell phone data plans, tv dish services)
  • Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Low carb is the diet of sedentary people. Active people need carbs to fuel their activities. Even the good card/bad carb argument breaks down for endurance athletes. As a cyclist I have to work to get enough carbs and while on the bike I need simple carbs high on the glycemic index (the alleged bad carbs) like drinks with sucrose and such to get energy into my system quickly. Complex carbs and bars with carbs and protein are too slow to enter the system. As warm weather is upon us and my cycling is ratcheting up I have increased my carbs dramatically and after a winter of no weight lose I am now losing a pound a week or more and may have to increase calories to slow my rate of lose since I am close to goal weight. Pro cyclists are usually the skinniest people in any room yet they go after carbs like piranhas! According to Chris Carmichael (Lance Armstrong’s coach/trainer in his book "Food For Fitness" I should be consuming 500 grams of carbs daily, which equates to 3,000 calories, while elite cyclist need far more. I don't eat that much, but I don't get Lance Armstrong's results either. Carbs are the preferred fuel of the body to sustain activity. Long live the carb!

I am in no way an expert on nutrition although I wish I was. Many things confuse me. I remember in the beginning of my journey a friend telling me I need to eat barely any carbs and like 50% protein. Well, believing her I tried it for a few days and felt awful. My body thrives on carbs so I went back to my 50% carb, 30% protein and 20% fat ratios. I see people debate a lot on here and it is very cool to see different points of views. Again, I am not an expert in any way because my background is in Finance and Business Management. For me though, my friend actually got mad at me and said I'd get fat if I ate that many carbs (and mine were not all the good carbs I had pasta, breadsticks, etc... just being honest). I have went successfully from 151 to 104 pounds and I am in the best health and shape of my life.

I don't want to argue or debate becaues I am a person who loves positive thinking and sharing positive experiences and not hate/arguments but for me.. the 50% carbs work and I still do it to this day. I have changed my ratios to 25% protein and 25% fat but now of course I find I eat 30% protein and 20% fat most of the time LOL :) I wonder now that I am in good shape what would happen if I stopped eating my bad carbs?! I certainly wouldn't want to get thinner and I love my pasta so much. For right now it's working for me and I have been successful for a year at maintaining.

Thank you for the post though - it gave me another way to look at it and I will definitely keep it in mind!
  • Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I am a medical professional, but I'm not going to quote any studies. All I can do is go by how carbs make me feel and that is BAD. I get nauseated, bloated, fatigued, get abdominal distention & gas. I try to eat very few carbs unless they come from fruit or vegetables, particularly after 5pm. I support individual choice, however, if someone is at a plateau or what they're doing isn't working, I would suggest switching it up & backing off the carbs. :)

I like this post too because my girlfriend also feels that way with carbs too. I think it's just how our bodies are. Thank you for the post this has been a good post to read and see what everyone has to say!
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Eat refined starches / carbs, spike your blood sugar, get hungry, ********eat more********, get fat

I have highlighted for you, the most important part of what you said.

If said person eats a lot of carbs, and it doesn't fill them up, causing them to get hungry and eat more, then the carbs are not directly impacting upon their weight. It's them eating more causing the weight gain. The carbs just aren't helping the situation. A balanced diet of carbs, protein and fat, should help fill you up enough so you are not hungry when you shouldn't be.

To the other person that said about America being the only nation where impoverished people are fat, and what food is cheap. Sure, pasta etc is cheap, but so are McDonalds and other high CALORIE foods such as this.
  • cms721
    Options
    If it wasnt around 2000 years ago - DONT EAT IT!
  • grantphoto
    grantphoto Posts: 2
    Options
    A little off topic, but if you are implying Marilyn looks fat here, I strongly disagree. I am seeing a healthy, curvy female form. This comment just seems hurtful against the mindset of so many here who would love to look like this.
    Marilyn Monroe credits her beautiful figure to pasta (AKA, carbs)

marilyn-monroe-heels.jpg

She so fat...

Umm, I don't know if you picked the best possible picture to illustrate your point...
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    And perhaps most controversial of all, Taubes said exercise does not lead to weight loss. "Exercise makes us hungry," he said

so he's an "eat back your exercise calories" guy too ?
  • FunandFitMom
    FunandFitMom Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Agree.....I don't think anyone can say that they've gotten fat from too many apples, oranges, etc. There's a quote from the Jillian Michaels book Master Your Metabolism..something to the effect that if it doesn't come out of the ground or have a mother, don't eat it!
  • sunnyday789
    sunnyday789 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    At least it seems like most everyone agress that processed foods are bad.

Then most everyone is an idiot

LOL. I should probably be insulted but this made me laugh for some reason. After reading the posts since then I realize that this is one of those posts where you have to be extremely careful what you say and not assume people know what you mean. Processed foods as in Cheetos. Can we agree that Cheetos are not healthy??

cheetos.JPG
    Sorry, can't agree. Cheetos contain
    Thiamin
    Niacin
    Vit B6
    Iron
    Riboflavin
    Carbs
    Calories
    Fat (but no trans fat)
    sour cream
    milk
    whey protein
    vegetable oil
    salt

None of these things are inherently bad and can contribute to a balanced diet.:smile:
    But seriously, what's the data to say "processed" food is bad for you. I know it's trendy to eat "clean" but as long as macros are met and calories in range is there any real science to say that it's bad for you? I had read years ago that one of the ingredients commonly used in processing was similair to ASA which has been shown to prevent cardiac disease and that the rate of heart attack and stroke have gone down. This may change as we become bigger, but it coud be argued that it's due to too many caloires/decreased exercise and not processed food.
    Over the last few decades we use more and more processed foods and our life expectancy has gone up. Corrleation?causation?
  • Jade17694
    Jade17694 Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m26lz1c3nV1qdclq7.gif

:laugh:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Whatever you believe, you should ask the question, why is obesity, heart disease and diabetes on the increase in such a huge scale?

In part, because we've had a lot of major technological advancements in the past 100 years or so that make society a buttload more sedentary than we used to be.

Thinking back to my parents' childhood... there weren't multi-car families - just one car was a luxury - and kids walked everywhere. They had ringer washers. Rugs were taken outside and beaten, not vacuumed. They didn't come home and veg in front of the tv or computer. They raised their own food, and I know my mom was happy when her father went hunting or fishing for something for dinner, because that meant she wouldn't have to hold the beak while one of their chickens got the ax.

It's just a lot easier to be fat now than it was then.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    OMG What a stupid article. I didn't read it all but I don't think anyone really believes this:
    "The grains are carbohydrates," Taubes said. "They're refined carbohydrates. You take off the shell and all the protein and the vitamins, and you refine it down, and you end up with something that its primary effect on the body, immediate effect, is to raise insulin levels. And if you raise insulin levels, what that does is drive calories into your fat tissue. Raising insulin literally works to make you accumulate fat. This is one of these phenomena that for some reason the medical research establishment has chosen to consider irrelevant to why we get obese."

Anyone that thinks the "medical research establishment" has ignored this is someone that has chosen to ignore medical recommendations for decades and now wants to blame "the establishment" for making them fat. Anyone who got fat eating refined carbs did it to themselves. Stop looking for a scapegoat and own up to it. You've heard to ditch white bread and sugar for most or all of your life, depending on your age. The USDA food pyramid didn't make you fat. You made you fat.
  • willnorton
    willnorton Posts: 995 Member
    Options
    well, I am 59 years old and have been on every diet known to man.... fad diets will work for a short time.... but when you start eating like you did before, you will gain the weight back and more! statistics show this.... my opinion is not scientifically backed, its just Bill backed...several people have made the statement , "do what works for you!" all our bodies can react different to carbs...I'm a type 2 diabetic and the "lower carb" diet works great for me... I eat about 30 to 40 carbs a day... I eat whole grains and dairy and fruits and veggies and lean meats...hmmmmm...that sounds like a balanced diet, huh... I do stay away from white stuff like, rice, potatoes, white bread, cakes, pies and what I call processed meats like hot dogs, bologna.....sausage bacon and naughty food like that... my point is, I do lower carb because it keeps my blood sugar number in the normal range...also I try to burn more calories than I take in... Since January I have lost 60 pounds and my blood sugar has come from 350 down to 100 or below daily...I have backed off my insulin 10 units (from 49 to 39) and am feeling better everyday...
    So try different ways of eating...eat healthy..burn calories, drink your water..and you will be just fine.....
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Sadly, I dont think the truth will ever be allowed out. Too many big industries (i.e. flour, sugar, pharmaceutical, supermarkets) are making too much money from the present "so called" healthy eating regime. No one can touch it. Whatever you believe, you should ask the question, why is obesity, heart disease and diabetes on the increase in such a huge scale?

Americans are very well aware of what's healthy and what's not. And while we may never see a "fat tax" on fast food or other unhealthy things, it's pretty ignorant to label all carbs as "bad" .

If you've ever wanted a data pool to disprove this look at this community. The people doing low carb are almost nonexistent, vasy majority of us eat a healthy amount of carbs daily and have all gotten fit healthy bodies with carbohydrates in our diets.
  • capnwo85
    capnwo85 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    ScreenShot2012-02-27at75346AM.png
This discussion has been closed.